Centre Back... Who do we go for?

Brophs

The One and Only
We don’t have room for 2 more midfielders if we don’t simultaneously sell at least one of those we already have. Most obvious candidates for sale would be Mata and Pereira
We're obviously not going to immediately sell the two guys who have just signed new contracts.

Alemar

We're obviously not going to immediately sell the two guys who have just signed new contracts.
I mean “one of them”, not both. Otherwise we will have the following contingent in midfield:
- McTominay, Matic, Fred, Pereira, Garner for #6/#8;
- Lingard, Mata, Gomes for #10/CAM;
- Pogba as an undisputable starter in any formation (able to play any MF role).

That is simply too much if we add two more midfielders here (and also it is possible that Alexis may be used as CAM, too).

It doesn’t require one to be an Einstein to conclude that if we buy Bruno for around 55-60m, he won’t be a squad player, rather a starter (for main games). No need for THAT MANY squads alternatives then. And if we also buy one more midfielder in addition to Bruno? Why to have 11 players for 3 spots, it’s an overkill - just like it is an overkill to have 7 players for 2 CB spots (8 if we count fosu-mensah)

Last edited:

DarkRed

It’s not, I used to prefer the left side even being right footed. The issue is if you can’t use your left foot to a decent enough standard. Then you’re fecked.
was asking because only Ake is a lefty from the CB talked here and Lindelof don't like to play that side.

Eric's Seagull

I think we will sign Maguire, But I hope we go for 2 Midfielders after this signing. Things might be looking up after all.
I've read that we are close to getting Maguire, which I would be content with although this story could be a load of crap. I totally agree with your part in bold and would hope that one of them is definitely Bruno Fernandes. It's making me slightly nervous the closer we get to the end of the window. We don't want to lave it too long as it may not leave us enough time to get them in, which I think would leave us at a disadvantage going to the season.

Woody needs to start doing something fast and if we don't get who we want, move on to the alternative quickly. He can moan all he wants about the being "no value in the market" but the longer we leave it the more chance we are going to get quoted ridiculous fees as teams will know we are desperate, doing business towards the end of the window is not sensible in my opinion.:nervous:

Dolf

Anyone we can switch to last minute? Looks like we got about 70-80m available for a CB. Only a week left in the transfer window. Maybe take the risk and go for Umtiti? Or test Dortmund for Akanji? Or should we just go another season without buying a top CB and see what is available next summer or maybe even in January?

Alemar

Anyone we can switch to last minute? Looks like we got about 70-80m available for a CB. Only a week left in the transfer window. Maybe take the risk and go for Umtiti? Or test Dortmund for Akanji? Or should we just go another season without buying a top CB and see what is available next summer or maybe even in January?
We may switch to a player in another position (of our need). Buying a top level CDM for 80m instead of CB will strengthen us just as much, as well as buying a CM.

Redcy

50m for a player who will probably play less than 20 games this year isn’t a risk it’s suicide. I’m not sure what players you think are coming up in January. Very few big deals get done then.

So I would guess 90m for maguire , 60-70m for diop, 50-60m for any other high risk addition like Tah, Konate, etc. Or we wait another year.

Fer

We should sell at least Rojo and Darmian this transfer window. We already have a lot of average/good defenders.

I don't rate Maguire as high as other posters, but I hope he proves me wrong and he can be our VVD as some people say.

Champagne Football

Everyone from Keane to Gary Neville to Shearer have been saying the past few days we need to strengthen in defence.

Sadly Tuanzebe seems too injury prone. I know Di'Shon Bernard is highly rated but is just 19.

There could be a couple of bargains if certain teams go down.

Tyrone Mings played really well for England when given a chance against Bulgaria. He's a giant too. 6'5 I think. Villa would probably be happy to swap with Tuanzebe.

Nathan Ake started out as a deep-lying midfielder and could be a good option to rotate between a no.6 and center-back.

Issa Diop is a giant and has been decent for a couple of seasons.

Ben Godfrey is another good option and also plays midfield or defense.

Then from The Championship there's been rumors about Joe Rodon.

OleGunnar20

Upamecano still going into his last year? If so, he could be a good call, would seem to mesh quite nicely next to Maguire.

Suv666

Upamecano still going into his last year? If so, he could be a good call, would seem to mesh quite nicely next to Maguire.
He'd be very expensive. I doubt we'll spent 50+ on a CB after spending a fortune on Maguire.

Kostov

Everyone from Keane to Gary Neville to Shearer have been saying the past few days we need to strengthen in defence.

Sadly Tuanzebe seems too injury prone. I know Di'Shon Bernard is highly rated but is just 19.

There could be a couple of bargains if certain teams go down.

Tyrone Mings played really well for England when given a chance against Bulgaria. He's a giant too. 6'5 I think. Villa would probably be happy to swap with Tuanzebe.

Nathan Ake started out as a deep-lying midfielder and could be a good option to rotate between a no.6 and center-back.

Issa Diop is a giant and has been decent for a couple of seasons.

Ben Godfrey is another good option and also plays midfield or defense.

Then from The Championship there's been rumors about Joe Rodon.
Teden Mengi is the more highly rated youth CB. The kid is a great prospect, not that sure about Bernard.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Our main priority must be of course a right-winger but yeah a new centre-back must be on our agenda too because.....

Smalling, Jones and Rojo have no future here.
I rate Tuanzebe but he is again injured.
Bailly is a very good but his next injury is probably not far away.
Fosu-Mensah needs another loan.
Mengi is probably 1-2 years away to have a chance.

In my opinion Upamecano is the most realistic best option and actually a bargain for €40-50m.
Koulibaly would be my favourite but his price will be surely still too high.
Konate would be amazing too but Leipzig will surely not sell him (if Upamecano leaves the club).
Badiashile for €20m is a bargain too.
Godfrey would be interesting too.

Last edited:

Okey

Anyone fancy Pau Torres from Villareal? Or know much about him? Brilliant on the ball but I haven't seen enough of his defending. Only started checking him out after I read somewhere we were linked with him. That link burnt out quite quickly. He's left footed and I'd really love for us to get one at CB.

Andersons Dietician

It’s alarming that Smalling is probably still better than all our CB options bar Maguire. I’m not sure this is an urgent requirement and I’m willing to give Lindelof and Bailly one more season to see if either can solidify that position as their own. If not Konaté for me is the best suited CB to partner Maguire.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
If our focus is on making few but good signings like Sancho, If we get someone like Alaba as well I would just bring back Smalling and call it a day. That will allow us to discard of Jones and send Tuanzebe on loan. He needs as much game time as possible after his injury problems, not only to get back into form but gain some experience at PL level before he's ready.

Maguire, Smalling, Lindelof, Bailly is actually pretty good options compared to other top 4 clubs. I would like a longterm partner to Maguire, but if we're not able to get the funds for it this summer at least this way we don't get weakened in defence before next seasons title run, led by Sancho.:drool:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think it’s a position we need. I don’t think Lindelof is up to the standard, and I don’t trust Bailly or Tuanzebe to stay fit (nor do I actually think they’re up to the level either).

If we can sell 3 of the 7(!) CBs we have, there’s definitely space for one to be brought in.

I’d sell: Smalling (not by preference, just because he’s already out the door and the only one we can definitely sell); Jones*; and Rojo.

* Optimistic because I don’t think it’s likely anyone will take him. In such a case I’d sell Tuanzebe whilst he still has value. I think we could fetch anywhere from £10-20m for him.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
as @devilish pointed out in another thread, Malang Sarr is a free agent this summer. I think there are quite a few bargain CBs out there at the moment. I think we're in a good enough position to have few people challenge each other for the spot, so we don't need to buy someone ready made and expecting to start.

Infra-red

Anyone fancy Pau Torres from Villareal? Or know much about him? Brilliant on the ball but I haven't seen enough of his defending. Only started checking him out after I read somewhere we were linked with him. That link burnt out quite quickly. He's left footed and I'd really love for us to get one at CB.
Very talented - I think he'll be a top ball-playing CB. He's a really elegant player, an excellent passer with a wand of a left foot - he is definitely suited to a possession-based football style. I could certainly see him playing at the back for a Pep Guardiola team at some point in the future.

I'm not sure he's the best fit for us, though, as he doesn't really posses the attributes you'd ideally want in a CB partner for Maguire. He isn't the quickest, is quite passive in his defensive style (especially compared to players like Bailly or Upamecano) and, surprisingly for a player of his height, really weak in the air. I think we want someone who pays a bit more on the front foot, with the aggression to win all the 1v1 duels and the pace to cover in behind.

Like you, I'd quite like left footed CB to partner Maguire - not sure who that player is, though.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Money no object we should go for Koulibaly(29) who prefers playing on the left, is probably the best passer of the ball out from the back(either foot) in Europe but maybe suspect in the air, or bargain-basement Godin(34½) who would allow us time to see if Axel or Teden Mengi can step-up.

romufc

Why is he hopeless tho? He's not doing anything spectacular but he dmn sure isn't terrible either.
Everyone expects Robertson or Trent as full backs now forgetting that Liverpool have 3 workhorses in midfield and we have 2 creators in there.

A team needs balance.