Centre Back... Who do we go for?

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Why is he hopeless tho? He's not doing anything spectacular but he dmn sure isn't terrible either.
On the ball he does a passable job, but when we lose possession he still hasn't worked out where to run, and why to run there, and you'd think after 8 years as a pro he'd have finally worked it out, some times he gets it right obviously but it's as much good luck rather than good judgement.

Mourinho was right, he needs radio-controlling!

passing-wind

Said since last year that Ake is an excellent defender. Doesn't have the height but he's more aggressive than Lidlelof and puts himself about more. Honestly don't see why Chelsea sold him, he's been a consistent player in the league for me.

I don't think a centre half is more of a pressing concern than a left back, Shaw for me isn't good enough defensively and doesn't offer much in attack which is a mentality issue. What happens additionally if AWB gets injured ? Dalot cannot considered after Everton last season that's the type of performance for the history books of how not to play the position, he belongs on the wing.

The point is that we have more than enough decent quality for cover in center half it cannot be a concern over cover for fullback and mainly a main 11 replacement for Shaw.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
With Mengi already playing u23, I dont think we will buy anyone. We will sell Rojo, Jones and Smalling. Maguire,Lindelof, Bailey, Tuanzube, Mengi could be our CB options.

A-man

With Mengi already playing u23, I dont think we will buy anyone. We will sell Rojo, Jones and Smalling. Maguire,Lindelof, Bailey, Tuanzube, Mengi could be our CB options.
I know Norwich was Bailly’s first match in a long time, but it terrifies me that he is the only choice if any of Maguire or Lindelof gets injured. He mixes great stuff with horrible stuff, and that’s not a good thing for a CB. I feel more comfortable playing Jones tbh.
And Tuanzebe has not convinced me at all, but he might just need more time. After many seasons with very little game time, he needs to go on a loan imo

Fracture90

Everyone expects Robertson or Trent as full backs now forgetting that Liverpool have 3 workhorses in midfield and we have 2 creators in there.

A team needs balance.
Exactly.

On the ball he does a passable job, but when we lose possession he still hasn't worked out where to run, and why to run there, and you'd think after 8 years as a pro he'd have finally worked it out, some times he gets it right obviously but it's as much good luck rather than good judgement.

Mourinho was right, he needs radio-controlling!
Very over the top criticism imo.

Okey

Very talented - I think he'll be a top ball-playing CB. He's a really elegant player, an excellent passer with a wand of a left foot - he is definitely suited to a possession-based football style. I could certainly see him playing at the back for a Pep Guardiola team at some point in the future.

I'm not sure he's the best fit for us, though, as he doesn't really posses the attributes you'd ideally want in a CB partner for Maguire. He isn't the quickest, is quite passive in his defensive style (especially compared to players like Bailly or Upamecano) and, surprisingly for a player of his height, really weak in the air. I think we want someone who pays a bit more on the front foot, with the aggression to win all the 1v1 duels and the pace to cover in behind.

Like you, I'd quite like left footed CB to partner Maguire - not sure who that player is, though.
Thank you much! Yeah his left peg is quite the wand. Pity he doesn't tick all the boxes. Strange to think there's so few top left footed CBs about in Europe at the moment. Shame...

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We need someone who is willing to put their head where others wouldn’t put their feet. Basically a Bailly who isn’t that much of a loon.

jesperjaap

Said since last year that Ake is an excellent defender. Doesn't have the height but he's more aggressive than Lidlelof and puts himself about more. Honestly don't see why Chelsea sold him, he's been a consistent player in the league for me.

I don't think a centre half is more of a pressing concern than a left back, Shaw for me isn't good enough defensively and doesn't offer much in attack which is a mentality issue. What happens additionally if AWB gets injured ? Dalot cannot considered after Everton last season that's the type of performance for the history books of how not to play the position, he belongs on the wing.

The point is that we have more than enough decent quality for cover in center half it cannot be a concern over cover for fullback and mainly a main 11 replacement for Shaw.
I disagree. Shaw may not have become the player we expected and I agree with others his postioning is awful, but apart fromt hat he is decent and we have a fantastic prospect in Williams. On the right Dalot is decent as a back up right back and again we also have a promising player that can play both full back positions in Laird to hopefully break through, I am happy with those options.

Centre back we may as well exclude Rojo and Smalling and what remains. Maguire is a decent centre back but who is his partner? Jones is way out of it now, Bailly is injury and error prone even though he has all the tools to be a top centre back. Tuanzabe looks a promising player but has also been injury prone the last couple of years so can we rely on either of those players? Lindelof for those reasons is the partner almost by default and I dont see him gettign any better than he is, which is bang average with quite a few big weaknesses. The only other centre back is Menghi who looks talented but way too early to tell, we have had a few supposed promisign centre backs that havent broke through the last few years.

For me right wing is the priority as Greenwood is doign well but I see playing thorugh the middle and challenging Martial next season, only covering the right. After that, I actually think that a quality partner for Maguire is the next priority

Adnan

Talent Spotter
1. Someone who is adept at playing in a high press which is what Ole likes.

2. Has the right attributes to compliment Maguire.

3. Make your way to RB Leipzig, they have two, with one in particular who could be available for a very reasonable fee due to his contract running down.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

3. Make your way to RB Leipzig, they have two, with one in particular who could be available for a very reasonable fee due to his contract running down.
I get the feeling a lot of clubs will be kicking themselves in three or four years for not paying the €40m or so rbl apparently want for him
CB probably isn't our biggest priority but selling smalling Jones and rojo would probably cover the transfer fee and the wages

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
United needs a CB better than Maguire who elevates him a level, that can pass the ball and is flawless defensively. Lindelof can't pass a football, and Maguire is sometimes complacent.

Gerald G

United needs a CB better than Maguire who elevates him a level, that can pass the ball and is flawless defensively. Lindelof can't pass a football, and Maguire is sometimes complacent.
I disagree with this. I think he can pass well but the issue is that he lacks pace and doesn't complement Maguire in some instances.

However, I agree that we need another CB. Koulibaly would be ideal but I doubt we'll spend that much on a CB this summer. I would get rid of Smalling, Jones and Rojo and would look potentially look at Upamecano - although I think he probably needs another season.

ManRed

Signing a CB should be 2nd top most priority this summer after a RW. We cannot go into next season with Maguire, Lindelof, Baily and Tuanzebe.

Bailly and Tuanzebe are too injury prone and Mengi is nowhere ready to start for us yet. We have to look at an explosive CB who can cover for Maguire/Lindelof on and off the pitch.

Options: Ake / Upamecano

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Lindelof can pass. Its just that Maguire isn't the right partner for him.

croadyman

Despite the age I wouldn't be against buying Koulibaly if we didn't have a more expensive pressing issue at RW,as we do then fully expect us to look at cheaper options in that area

Mark Pawelek

Despite the age I wouldn't be against buying Koulibaly if we didn't have a more expensive pressing issue at RW,as we do then fully expect us to look at cheaper options in that area
I don't understand where the money's coming from to buy Koulibaly, Sancho and Grealish in the next transfer window. In fact - if we buy Sancho - I don't even see where the money's coming from to buy any other experienced top player - not even Grealish. So maybe we might just be able to afford a Rodon or a Salisu. Badiashile at best. No way do I see us spending more than £20m on a CB.

Last edited:

Mylock

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Alessio Romagnoli as an option, World-class, left-footed, fast, tough, very good with the ball, a leader and a great reader of the game. If the club has the funds, he would be a great addition.
If the club hadn't the funds a long shot that could be tried is to convert McTominay into the role, he has the characteristics for the role. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a CH in the future as we'll have lots of options in midfield.

Mylock

Thank you much! Yeah his left peg is quite the wand. Pity he doesn't tick all the boxes. Strange to think there's so few top left footed CBs about in Europe at the moment. Shame...
Alessio Romagnoli is a left footed CB, he ticks all the boxes.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Ake
Upamecano
Dias
Konate

Hopefully 1 of these suits what Ole wants and they are available at a fairly reasonable price.

Bondi77

Sounds good if we can swap one of our CBs in the process, two of our CBs would be even better.

Strelok

You mean Ruben Dias from Benicia? Looks interesting in FM:)
Yeah my bad I mistook his name. He's Portuguese somehow in my head his name went Bruno :wenger:

Yeah he seems pretty good in FM but I haven't tried him yet. Would love to hear an opinion from someone who watches him on a regular basis.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Alessio Romagnoli as an option, World-class, left-footed, fast, tough, very good with the ball, a leader and a great reader of the game. If the club has the funds, he would be a great addition.
If the club hadn't the funds a long shot that could be tried is to convert McTominay into the role, he has the characteristics for the role. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a CH in the future as we'll have lots of options in midfield.
I don't think he's fast. From what I've heard his speed is his weakness. He's also one of those players - born and bred and would die at their club type of players. Don't see him leaving especially now that Ragnick is coming

AneRu

I get the feeling a lot of clubs will be kicking themselves in three or four years for not paying the €40m or so rbl apparently want for him
CB probably isn't our biggest priority but selling smalling Jones and rojo would probably cover the transfer fee and the wages
But if we sell Jones, Smalling and Rojo we will raise something like £25m. Sell Dalot for £10m and we'd be just about there won't we?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It seems that most agree with the need for a proper center back to partner Bailly in the future. With Lindelöf still being young and not quite ready yet, Smalling/Jones just not good enough and Rojo too inconsistent, it wouldn’t be a big surprise if United spend a decent amount to bring in a new center back in the summer.

Who do we go for?

Some candidates:
David Luiz
Sokratis Papastathopoulos

Kamil Glik
Kostas Manolas
Kalidou Koulibaly
Samuel Umtiti
Ezequiel Garay
José Giménez
Mateo Musacchio
Ömer Toprak
Stefan De Vrij
Jonathan Tah
Eric Dier
Daniele Rugani
Matthijs De Ligt
Lucas Hernández
Alessio Romagnoli
Harry Maguire
Milan Škriniar

I don’t watch that much football outside the Premier League, but from what I know, my personal preference would be Manolas or Koulibaly (if top tier players like Boateng aren’t available)

@Damien or any other modmin, a poll with some of the main candidates would be greatly appreciated.
You smoking crack?

Edit - haha sorry just seen the date.

Still though, Dier and Luiz in 2018... are you smoking crack? :lol:

Everyone expects Robertson or Trent as full backs now forgetting that Liverpool have 3 workhorses in midfield and we have 2 creators in there.

A team needs balance.
Exactly. People don't understand that they system allows them to flourish. Put them in City's team for example and Trent would just get in KDB's way. The instructions of Liverpool's 3 midfielders is pretty much just prevent the counter attack. They do very little creatively.

People don't understand this when doing England teams with Trent and right back and Grealish & Maddison in midfield. For Trent to do what he does for Liverpool in an England shirt he'd need Henderson, Rice and Winks (or players of that ilk) in midfield.

Last edited:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
You smoking crack?

Edit - haha sorry just seen the date.

Still though, Dier and Luiz in 2018... are you smoking crack? :lol:

Exactly. People don't understand that they system allows them to flourish. Put them in City's team for example and Trent would just get in KDB's way. The instructions of Liverpool's 3 midfielders is pretty much just prevent the counter attack. They do very little creatively.

People don't understand this when doing England teams with Trent and right back and Grealish & Maddison in midfield. For Trent to do what he does for Liverpool in an England shirt he'd need Henderson, Rice and Winks (or players of that ilk) in midfield.
I actually wouldn't mind seeing trent in midfield for England... we have a lot of rb options (walker or awb for example).

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Does anyone know much about Pau Torres? Left footed Spaniard CB playing for Villarreal?

dal

If we don’t sign a centre back I’d really love to see how the below would work. I think it could be a potential master stroke.

Williams——AWB——Maguire——Shaw

gajender

If we don’t sign a centre back I’d really love to see how the below would work. I think it could be a potential master stroke.

It would be a disaster AWB limitations would be exposed badly.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Ake
Upamecano
Dias
Konate

Hopefully 1 of these suits what Ole wants and they are available at a fairly reasonable price.
This is a good list aside from Dias who I've not heard of.

I'm warming to the idea of Ake who's very good, premier league proven and could be available on the cheap if Bournemouth go down. Upamecano and Konate are good too. We could get either of these 3 for a reasonable price.

spiriticon

I have the same idea but with Williams on the other side!

AWB---Maguire---Shaw---Williams

Dazzmondo

I think we should just go for Upamecano. He has a release clause so if we're willing to pay we should get him. I think it's best to just get a cb we can keep for the next decade and sort out the problem. He's a far better cb than Maguire and Lindelof isn't good enough to be starting for us imo. Our other options apart from Maguire and Lindelof have no business starting for us. I would prefer to just sell Bailly, he's terrible anytime he plays and we immediately look 10 times worse defensively with him on the pitch.