Centre Back... Who do we go for?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Let's not feck about. We need an exceptional defender. Basically, better than Maguire and someone who is a good partner for him.

I hope these lesser players we're being linked with are just agents playing the money game in the press.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Let's not feck about. We need an exceptional defender. Basically, better than Maguire and someone who is a good partner for him.

I hope these lesser players we're being linked with are just agents playing the money game in the press.
There isn't a CB available for a reasonable price that fits this description

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Vidic wasn't pulling up any trees when he was 22/23.
No. He was virtually unknown by most when he arrived at OT. That is the kind of deal I am hoping for. I'd like the recruitment team and scouting network to to prove its value.

jesperjaap

I'm not so sure about that. Some of them are 22/23 and not pulling up any trees. Upamecano, yes, I believe he will become better than Maguire.
He is already on the same level in my opinion. Maguire has done well in the premiership but we are not talking of aspiring to be a Ferdinand or Terry here, not wishing to slate Maguire who has had a decent season over all but he isnt pulling up trees either, a case of being pretty much the only decent English centre back currently.

My wish would be Konate or Upamecano too, but do have the feeling if we are signing a centre back its going to be a left footer and for me the perfect option it would definately be the same player we should ave tried to sign last year and that is Romagnoli. Never going to happen though as dont think he wants to leave and we are probably talking a Maguire fee again which isnt feasible this window.

Think its probably Gabriel due to the fee. Torres @ £45m may be a reasonable fee but again I think even that is too high this summer with the SAncho deal. Badiashile I think is just too young and inexperienced for us to be signing when we want a player to come straight in but saying all this I have probably seen less than five games of all three players combined and not seen Torres play at all.

I just hope the cb rumours are true as we cant rely on another season of hoping Bailly/Tuanzabe can stay fit and kick on and neither can we rely on Lindelof playing the majority of games for us either

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
No. He was virtually unknown by most when he arrived at OT. That is the kind of deal I am hoping for. I'd like the recruitment team and scouting network to to prove its value.
So those players we are linked with also virtually unknown right? So what's the issue here?

jesperjaap

So those players we are linked with also virtually unknown right? So what's the issue here?
Even with Vidic who wasnt a million years ago, the internet and social media wasnt what it is now. Apart from teenagers I think there are barely unknown players. The players getting mentioned here that people are aware of and some may have seen play......they would be unknowns in the days of Vidic, so what you are saying is totally correct.

Same token, I dont think we can really sign a centre back with potential, seems pointless. We already have two in Mengi and Tuanzabe. All for signing a young centre back with potential to be world class or close to it. But whoever we do sign already needs to be a very good centre back. NOt seen the majority of the ones we are linked to much to give an opinion on really

Also get the idea for some reason a lot of posters talk about players and opinions of them and how they have watched them several times.....and never seen them play at all, find that strange jumping on reports or hearsay of certain players.

Mark Pawelek

Cristian Romero - Genoa, 22. 53 passes (2.7 long) per match at 89%. Good 1st touch.
Pau Torres - Villarreal, 23. €30m, 60 passes (6.3 long) per match at 85%. Good 1st touch. Fast

Young, no major injuries, not exorbitantly priced, good defenders, classy on the ball. Torres preferred: he's speedier.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Even with Vidic who wasnt a million years ago, the internet and social media wasnt what it is now. Apart from teenagers I think there are barely unknown players. The players getting mentioned here that people are aware of and some may have seen play......they would be unknowns in the days of Vidic, so what you are saying is totally correct.
Also get the idea for some reason a lot of posters talk about players and opinions of them and how they have watched them several times.....and never seen them play at all, find that strange jumping on reports or hearsay of certain players
Van Dijk wasn't pulling up any trees when he was 22/23 and internet was very well known during his younger days.

Lot of people haven't watch those players. Feel free to look at the threads now, almost every single one of them admitted never watch them. They only stated their opinion based on stats. I also expect you to know the difference between YouTube clips with watching the actual multiple games.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Van Dijk wasn't pulling up any trees when he was 22/23 and internet was very well known during his younger days.

Lot of people haven't watch those players. Feel free to look at the threads now, almost every single one of them admitted never watch them. They only stated their opinion based on stats. I also expect you to know the difference between YouTube clips with watching the actual multiple games.
That's fair enough.

Reg. van Dijk, I think you could see he was special even at Celtic. At Southampton it was fairly obvious. Personally, I'd rather sign a 26/27 year old centre back who is a clear upgrade, if we're not going for the very best young centre back. I can't say I've watched them all, or a great deal, but I've seen enough of Upamecano to feel he's a sure bet.

Edit: Thought similar of Saliba. Think he'll prove to be a great purchase for Arsenal.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
That's fair enough.

Reg. van Dijk, I think you could see he was special even at Celtic. At Southampton it was fairly obvious. Personally, I'd rather sign a 26/27 year old centre back who is a clear upgrade, if we're not going for the very best young centre back. I can't say I've watched them all, or a great deal, but I've seen enough of Upamecano to feel he's a sure bet.

Edit: Thought similar of Saliba. Think he'll prove to be a great purchase for Arsenal.
Upamecano is not 26/27 and still not clear upgrade. The guy has bad injury record and still proven one season wonder. From all the list, he's the only one I have ever watched. Impressive & good potential but everyone can look like that for one season for example Mangala. Probably need another two or three season to prove himself before we can call him clear upgrade. In other word, there is no one is available with clear upgrade right now unless if we are interested to sign 29 years old Koulibally. Signing a reliable 25 or below centre back seems to be the aim this season, it seems we want someone who can challenge Lindelof & Maguire for competition and if the player steps up then he will cement the spot.

jesperjaap

He was excellent for Celtic when he moved there at 22/23 so I dont agree with that. Though I did think he was a big fish in a small pond and though very good at Southampton will confess I was one thought the fee was ridiculous for him and that he was nothing special.

only Upamecano, ROmagnoli and Konate I have seen much of outside of the premiership multiple times and all would be excellent signings though see little chance of Romagnoli the other two are gettable even if Upamecano signed a new contract which I guess pushes up the fee and makes him unfeasible as well

jesperjaap

@jesperjaap
My muppet focus has already moved from RW to CB. I'm assuming the Sancho deal is a formality.
Well I said last year we need to sign two centre backs not one and with a couple more outs last year that should have happened we could have. To be fair we have been very hampered with Tuanzabe and Bailly being injured so much though. But for me it is a priority as after right wing with Greenwood moving inside its the position we can most improve in our first eleven. Defensive midfield also a huge concern squad wise.

I am a massive fan of Grealish and want us to sign him as attacking wise think he improves the squad more than anybody else, but with the size of his fee and Sanchos Idthink sadly Id rather we signed a defensive midfielder now.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Well I said last year we need to sign two centre backs not one and with a couple more outs last year that should have happened we could have. To be fair we have been very hampered with Tuanzabe and Bailly being injured so much though. But for me it is a priority as after right wing with Greenwood moving inside its the position we can most improve in our first eleven. Defensive midfield also a huge concern squad wise.

I am a massive fan of Grealish and want us to sign him as attacking wise think he improves the squad more than anybody else, but with the size of his fee and Sanchos Idthink sadly Id rather we signed a defensive midfielder now.
Yeah, that would be the order of priorities I hope for as well.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He was excellent for Celtic when he moved there at 22/23 so I dont agree with that. Though I did think he was a big fish in a small pond and though very good at Southampton will confess I was one thought the fee was ridiculous for him and that he was nothing special.

only Upamecano, ROmagnoli and Konate I have seen much of outside of the premiership multiple times and all would be excellent signings though see little chance of Romagnoli the other two are gettable even if Upamecano signed a new contract which I guess pushes up the fee and makes him unfeasible as well
If that's how people call ''pulling up any trees'' then I can also say the same to those 22/23 centre back we were linked with right now, they won't be linked with us if they weren't pulling up any trees at their clubs.

passing-wind

I think we are heading into period in football where there is a lack of outstanding defensive talent. The success of our next defensive signing will largely depend on how efficient our scouts can summarise accurate reports.

We need a Laporte who was always rated at Bilbao but seems to have the taken next step at city. Lenglet is another example and perhaps even Umtiti who has been halted by injury (coming from OL). I reckon Ake will do well at City he's a sound defender and from my own (limited) knowledge I can't see anyone else aside a Upamecano and Pau who I've heard from the La Liga fans is good but sounds like having the same weaknesses as Lindlelof.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I think we are heading into period in football where there is a lack of outstanding defensive talent. The success of our next defensive signing will largely depend on how efficient our scouts can summarise accurate reports.

We need a Laporte who was always rated at Bilbao but seems to have the taken next step at city. Lenglet is another example and perhaps even Umtiti who has been halted by injury (coming from OL). I reckon Ake will do well at City he's a sound defender and from my own (limited) knowledge I can't see anyone else aside a Upamecano and Pau who I've heard from the La Liga fans is good but sounds like having the same weaknesses as Lindlelof.
I don’t think there is a lack of defensive “talent”. In fact there are plenty around. But if you said lack of finished defensive article then yes I agree with you. Honestly I’d rather sign a 18-21 year old talent than a 28-29 established CB.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Barca are skint. Would they sell Lenglet? A good age, was scouted by United a lot, and now has lots of experience at big clubs.

jesperjaap

I would certainly say there is a lack of defensive talent in the premiership. Only Liverpool for me have a good defence and even in there case Gomez has a long way to go.

Dont watch enough foreign football nowadays especially Spanish now it isnt on Sky to comment on European centre backs but there seems to be quite a few talented young centre backs close to being big players which historically are just the right kind of signings for our club.

Though signins real quality centre backs is one of the hardest tasks generally, I dont think it should be that difficult to sign a centre back that can stay fit and consistently perform to a higher level than Lindelof in all honesty.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Cristian Romero - Genoa, 22. 53 passes (2.7 long) per match at 89%. Good 1st touch.
Pau Torres - Villarreal, 23. €30m, 60 passes (6.3 long) per match at 85%. Good 1st touch. Fast

Young, no major injuries, not exorbitantly priced, good defenders, classy on the ball. Torres preferred: he's speedier.
Pau Torres release clause is 75m euros and asking price is 65m

Bestietom

Gabriel Megalhaes Is a left footed CB who is fast, can pass the ball long or short, and is good in the air.....6' 3" and a beast at 22 years old.. Plays for Lille and would cost 27million..

SparkedIntoLife

This is how I'm feeling. Basically all of the reasonably available centre backs have big question marks against them. We either have to take an informed gamble based on very good scouting or potentially wait until things are a bit clearer. There doesn't seem to be a De Ligt type available that looks a surefire quality player (albeit De Ligt didn't have a great season at Juve).

Sancho will take up the majority of our budget. Maybe next year we need to spend big on a centre back rather than gamble this year. I like Lindelof, though I recognise his deficiencies and how he doesn't cover Maguire's deficiencies too well.

I like the look of Mengi and, even younger, Fish. They aren't ready just yet, admittedly but sometimes young players need to be trusted and thrown in. Tuanzebe remains a good prospect, though I worry about his injuries and stalled progress.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I'm quite confused by our need for a left footed CB. Asides from maybe Torres the other ones we've been linked with - Gabriel Badiashile and Ake are all squad players. I get left footed CB will help in the build up but how much of an impact is a left footed CB going to have in the build up play when he's not even first choice.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'm quite confused by our need for a left footed CB. Asides from maybe Torres the other ones we've been linked with - Gabriel Badiashile and Ake are all squad players. I get left footed CB will help in the build up but how much of an impact is a left footed CB going to have in the build up play when he's not even first choice.
The same way Grealish would improve us.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Totally different case
No, Grealish doesn't immediately go into our first team, but has the quality to push himself into our first team and offers us something different. Same with a left footed CB that can pass. They might not immediately shift Lindelof out the side, but they have the quality to get the opportunity to and can show when they get the opportunity in the team, what kind of impact it has.

jamesjimmybyrondean

No, Grealish doesn't immediately go into our first team, but has the quality to push himself into our first team and offers us something different. Same with a left footed CB that can pass. They might not immediately shift Lindelof out the side, but they have the quality to get the opportunity to and can show when they get the opportunity in the team, what kind of impact it has.
I don't think Grealish has the quality to bench Pogba Bruno or Rashford. Also where does this left footed CB that starts as a squad player come in if Tuanzebe is also being highly rated by Ole

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I don't think Grealish has the quality to bench Pogba Bruno or Rashford. Also where does this left footed CB that starts as a squad player come in if Tuanzebe is also being highly rated by Ole
Tuanzebe cannot be relied on at the moment and he's also right footed is he not? You should have 4 CBs minimum, but we can actually only rely on 2 this season. We're going to have a lot of game next season, hopefully, it's important we have quality and different options. We've been berrated this season for playing one way, it's good to have variety.

Canuckred64

Heard a rumour Sanchez and Smalling in a two for one swap for Skriniar. But we maybe better off with either Gabriel or Badiashile or maybe both.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The typical Manchester United CB is 6ft3 is physically strong, he's good in air, he's not injury prone, he's not a slow poke, he's got decent positioning & passing ability. Stam, Vidic, Rio, Johnsen and Pally were like that. We did tried to change that with Mickey (too short), Blind (way too short), Jones (short and injury prone) and co. The results were devastating.

So what do we need?

A- We need to acknowledge that formula and stop trying reinventing the wheel. Hence Tuanzebe, Rojo, Bailly, Jones and Lindelof will never make it with United. At least not at first team level.
B- We need to buy players whose skill set cover for Maguire's deficiencies. Thus we need a 6ft3 CB whose fast and has got decent positioning. He need to be physically strong but he don't need to be a rock either as Maguire is that player. Also we can get away with a CB whose not an excellent ball playing player and whose not a great leader. All those skills are provided by Maguire as well.

In my opinion we should sell the lot I mentioned, we should retain Smalling and we should sign Badiashile and Magalhaes for a combined fee of around 60m-70m. For those saying that 2 CBs is over kill here is my response

A- I'd rather have 2 CB with the POTENTIAL of becoming estabilished CBs. Then 4-5 CBs whose got no chance in hell of making it with us.
B- Maguire and Smalling are established CB. Smalling might not like being a reserve but he is indeed under contract, no one is offering decent money for him and I'd rather keep him for a year to make sure at least 1 of the new guys make it then throw him out on the cheap.
C- We would be recouping most of the money by selling those lot, most of whom are either too shit or injury prone to be useful even as reserves.

Last edited: