Centre Back... Who do we go for?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Heard a rumour Sanchez and Smalling in a two for one swap for Skriniar. But we maybe better off with either Gabriel or Badiashile or maybe both.
Skriniar is a good defender and I wanted him last season. However you can't have a CB pair made up of Skriniar and Maguire. It's too fecking slow.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The typical Manchester United CB is 6ft3 is physically strong, he's good in air, he's not injury prone, he's not a slow poke, he's got decent positioning & passing ability. Stam, Vidic, Rio, Johnsen and Pally were like that. We did tried to change that with Mickey (too short), Blind (way too short), Jones (short and injury prone) and co. The results were devastating.

So what do we need?

A- We need to acknowledge that formula and stop trying reinventing the wheel. Hence Tuanzebe, Rojo, Bailly, Jones and Lindelof will never make it with United. At least not at first team level.
B- We need to buy players whose skill set cover for Maguire's deficiencies. Thus we need a 6ft3 CB whose fast and has got decent positioning. He need to be physically strong but he don't need to be a rock either as Maguire is that player. Also we can get away with a CB whose not an excellent ball playing player and whose not a great leader. All those skills are provided by Maguire as well.

In my opinion we should sell the lot I mentioned, we should retain Smalling and we should sign Badiashile and Magalhaes for a combined fee of around 60m-70m. For those saying that 2 CBs is over kill here is my response

A- I'd rather have 2 CB with the POTENTIAL of becoming estabilished CBs. Then 4-5 CBs whose got no chance in hell of making it with us.
B- Maguire and Smalling are established CB. Smalling might not like being a reserve but he is indeed under contract, no one is offering decent money for him and I'd rather keep him for a year to make sure at least 1 of the new guys make it then throw him out on the cheap.
C- We would be recouping most of the money by selling those lot, most of whom are either too shit or injury prone to be useful even as reserves.
Good one, mate.

Bojan Djordjic

Skriniar is a good defender and I wanted him last season. However you can't have a CB pair made up of Skriniar and Maguire. It's too fecking slow.
Skriniar is getting slated by the Inter fans this year. Also, his stats really aren't that good in comparison to other top class defenders.

Nakhon Phanom

It could all come down to money available.
We are likely to splash out big time on Grealish and Sancho so little left in the kitty for some of the high class names mentioned.
We need someone to put pressure on Lindelof as Maguires partner. Vertonghen is available on a free transfer... experienced in the Champions League and Premiership... maybe a couple of seasons left in him.

RkkMan

Unpopular opinion but Maguire/Lindelof is not as bad a partnership as people are making it out to be they compliment each other more than people think. Lindelof is our best CB in 1v1s Maguire is our best CB aerially both are very good on the ball. They lack a bit of pace yes but with a better DM and better performances from De Gea that won`t be a big issue. They aren`t the 3rd best defensive partnership ITL for no reason and I think only 4/5 teams in Europe have conceded less goals than us. We should either sign Gabriel for 20m as a cheap back up or keep Smalling if he`s willing to be 3rd choice CB he`s poor on the ball but miles better than Bailly/Rojo/Jones/Axel and him being good aerially and having good top level experience makes him a solid back up to Maguire.

Fracture90

Unpopular opinion but Maguire/Lindelof is not as bad a partnership as people are making it out to be they compliment each other more than people think. Lindelof is our best CB in 1v1s Maguire is our best CB aerially both are very good on the ball. They lack a bit of pace yes but with a better DM and better performances from De Gea that won`t be a big issue. They aren`t the 3rd best defensive partnership ITL for no reason and I think only 4/5 teams in Europe have conceded less goals than us. We should either sign Gabriel for 20m as a cheap back up or keep Smalling if he`s willing to be 3rd choice CB he`s poor on the ball but miles better than Bailly/Rojo/Jones/Axel and him being good aerially and having good top level experience makes him a solid back up to Maguire.
They're doing alright but problem with that particular pairing is that we cannot commit to our play style of pressing high and building from the back. They're too slow to take a high line when we're trying to press high which would make them susceptible to a high ball over them since they have no recovery pace. Also they're too slow to spread around effective and move position quickly to offer themselves for a pass when we're battling the press trying to build from the back.

Fracture90

It could all come down to money available.
We are likely to splash out big time on Grealish and Sancho so little left in the kitty for some of the high class names mentioned.
We need someone to put pressure on Lindelof as Maguires partner. Vertonghen is available on a free transfer... experienced in the Champions League and Premiership... maybe a couple of seasons left in him.
His legs are gone, he's got even less pace than Maguire at this point.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Can't confess to have watched much of any of the CB's we are being linked to.....

I'm just glad we are looking at one.

E-mal

They're doing alright but problem with that particular pairing is that we cannot commit to our play style of pressing high and building from the back. They're too slow to take a high line when we're trying to press high which would make them susceptible to a high ball over them since they have no recovery pace. Also they're too slow to spread around effective and move position quickly to offer themselves for a pass when we're battling the press trying to build from the back.
In many ways, and this might be unpopular but the acquisition of Maguire was not well thought out in terms of style of play and especially for that fee!

His pace is just not good enough for a team that want to press honestly and while I appreciate his contributions this season, am not sure under a different manager who wants to play a high line he won't be found wanting.

Bestietom

I'm quite confused by our need for a left footed CB. Asides from maybe Torres the other ones we've been linked with - Gabriel Badiashile and Ake are all squad players. I get left footed CB will help in the build up but how much of an impact is a left footed CB going to have in the build up play when he's not even first choice.
It would allow Maguire to move to right side where he played for Leicester.

Fracture90

In many ways, and this might be unpopular but the acquisition of Maguire was not well thought out in terms of style of play and especially for that fee!

His pace is just not good enough for a team that want to press honestly and while I appreciate his contributions this season, am not sure under a different manager who wants to play a high line he won't be found wanting.
I completely agree with that. If anything i think his purchase was a panic one.

jamesjimmybyrondean

This opinion wasn't unpopular before we signed Maguire. I think the Maguire signing was as a result of him being the only Van Dijk type CB - good experienced CB with leadership qualities we could get. Varane didn't want to leave Madrid and Koulibaly's price tag was around 120m. Chelsea are in a similar position were they need this type of CB and there still isn't any available at a reasonable price

Bestietom

I think most coaches/managers would like a right footed CB and a left footed CB.
If we can get a good left footed CB it could be the answer to our problems at the back.
It is worth a try at least.

Fracture90

We were trying to get him the whole transfer window. How was it a panic move?
Because all the other, better CB's we couldn't get on top of them not being English. So in order not to go into another season relying on Bailly, Lindelof, Mike, Rojo and Jones, we panicked and paid £80m for Maguire.

E-mal

We were trying to get him the whole transfer window. How was it a panic move?
I won't call that panic, more like desperate.
In hindsight it wasn't well thought out seeing we want to press and dominate possession and that needs a high line with CBs that have pace.

Now, am not saying he is not a good defender and IMO has done well this season but he might just hold the team back going forward in terms of philosophy and play style.

Pav1878

What about Diego Carlos at Valencia? Has all the attributes and Liverpool want him, which would piss them off too so nice bonus.

DSG

What about this Pau Torres deal from Villarreal? Haven’t seen a single Villarreal match... is he fast? His YouTube highlights make him look like a better version of Lindelof — taller, better in the air, a little quicker.

Have any of our La Liga aficionados watched enough Villarreal to give an informed opinion?

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
What about this Pau Torres deal from Villarreal? Haven’t seen a single Villarreal match... is he fast? His YouTube highlights make him look like a better version of Lindelof — taller, better in the air, a little quicker.

Have any of our La Liga aficionados watched enough Villarreal to give an informed opinion?
His fee is being quoted at around 65m. Definitely not worth it at that price.

NYAS

My main choice would be Konate, however it seems that Ole is looking for a left-footed CB with height and potential.

In that case my main two choices would be Zagadou and Badiashile. I’m happy about the Badiashile links as I believe he has similar if not higher potential than the former at a younger age, as well as the fact that he is faster and will most likely be cheaper. 3rd choice would be Evan N’Dicka but he’s been playing LB too often for my liking.

mu4c_20le

Out of the four cbs we were linked with, he'd be my choice. His highlights make him look like Pirlo at the back line, he can really ping a ball. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't end up at Barca or Real.

Onerealunited

I am really sad that we are not linked with Ozan Kabak at all. Forget all other CB potentials just go for Kabak and we should be safe for many years to come

DSG

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

LuckyScout78

Personally i would patient. In the future its big chance United will get top 4 in the coming years. So recall Smalling back. And go all in for De Ligt from Juventus about next year or two. United next CB shall be closest to world class as possible. De Ligt was like Zlatan. From a winning side AJax to the best club in Serie A, Juventus.
De Ligt is like Jadon Sancho. United have to qualify for ch.league. Then chance that they will come, will rise alot.

A super aggressive De Ligt is what it need. You need a Steve Bruce, Stam and Vidic aggressions, guts, braveness and give everything in the duel. De Ligt click all the box.

Again. If i was United manager. I would definitely recall Smalling back. Safe the money and use that on a allround really good cm, Sancho first priority and maybe Robin Gosens and move Williams over as RB. Then all in for De Ligt about few years.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
https://www.unitedinfocus.com/news/who-is-reported-manchester-united-transfer-target-pau-torres/

Release clause is reported to be 50m euro. And he was clocked as the fastest CB in La Liga at 34.9km/hr. Looks quick as well. Left footed, 23 yrs old and classy on the ball. Seems like a match.
An Article on 2nd October 2019 (When he signed that new contract). The release clause is or was 50m euro but has option to increase close to 75m euro. Villarreal is willing to accept for 65m euro. I'm guessing we could try to offer 45m or 50m euro plus adds on.

https://as.com/futbol/2019/10/02/primera/1570015790_995452.html

Translation:

Villarreal CF has just made official the improvement of the contract and the termination clause of its defense Pau Torres, which will continue to be yellow until 2024. And with this improvement the club increases the termination clause, which becomes 50 million euros, and with the option of being able to increase to an amount close to 75 million.

The defender of Vila-real is the pearl of the yellow quarry, being right now one of the players with more projection of the club. His breakthrough in the team and his level on the field have made the club decide to improve his contract and, above all, shield his future with an improvement in his clause. Pau had a minor contract, the usual one for the players who come from the quarry, which usually has a clause between 12 and 20 million euros. For this reason, the entity has decided to improve the player, increasing his contract years, which goes from ending in 2022 to ending in 2024. In an improvement to his chip, he moves to a higher echelon and is already close to the weighty players in the team. And the most important thing goes from a clause of less than 20 million to a clause that starts at 50 million euros and can reach 75 million euros.

DSG

An Article on 2nd October 2019 (When he signed that new contract). The release clause is or was 50m euro but has option to increase close to 75m euro. Villarreal is willing to accept for 65m euro. I'm guessing we could try to offer 45m or 50m euro plus adds on.

https://as.com/futbol/2019/10/02/primera/1570015790_995452.html

Translation:
Where did you get the 65m euro figure?

If you can offload Bailly and Smalling for 40m, if you could get this guy for a net spend of 25m, might be worth it. That would leave you with Lindelof as your 3rd choice CB and Tuanzebe as 4th. Hopefully Jones and Rojo move on for who cares how much and suddenly your wage bill isn’t as heavy either.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Where did you get the 65m euro figure?

If you can offload Bailly and Smalling for 40m, if you could get this guy for a net spend of 25m, might be worth it. That would leave you with Lindelof as your 3rd choice CB and Tuanzebe as 4th. Hopefully Jones and Rojo move on for who cares how much and suddenly your wage bill isn’t as heavy either.
It was from transfer tweets couple days ago posted by someone.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
My main choice would be Konate, however it seems that Ole is looking for a left-footed CB with height and potential.

In that case my main two choices would be Zagadou and Badiashile. I’m happy about the Badiashile links as I believe he has similar if not higher potential than the former at a younger age, as well as the fact that he is faster and will most likely be cheaper. 3rd choice would be Evan N’Dicka but he’s been playing LB too often for my liking.
This need of left-footed CB is bonker. The best defence of all time Tasotti-Costacurta-Baresi-Maldini are ALL right-footed defenders.
Varane and Ramos are both right-footed. So did Pique and Puyol.

Fracture90

This need of left-footed CB is bonker. The best defence of all time Tasotti-Costacurta-Baresi-Maldini are ALL right-footed defenders.
Varane and Ramos are both right-footed. So did Pique and Puyol.
Now that you've mentioned it, i cannot at this moment remember that many left footed CB's that were good tbh. Mihajlovic, Samuel, Silvestre, heck even Vertonghen come to mind right now, but it's early morning i might be able to remember later.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Now that you've mentioned it, i cannot at this moment remember that many left footed CB's that were good tbh. Mihajlovic, Samuel, Silvestre, heck even Vertonghen come to mind right now, but it's early morning i might be able to remember later.
Laporte & Chiellini.

croadyman

I am going to come out and say we should get Koulibaly if available as believe he could have a Van Dijk type influence on the defence. Yes I know that his age and price is a stumbling block but honestly think it's worth it

Bojan Djordjic

I am going to come out and say we should get Koulibaly if available as believe he could have a Van Dijk type influence on the defence. Yes I know that his age and price is a stumbling block but honestly think it's worth it
Just look at the Spurs defence right now. A lot of fans were screaming for United to sign Alderweireld when Mourinho was at the club. Now look at him and Vertonghen. These guys can fall off a cliff and you better believe he'd be commanding a fortune in salary.