Centre Back... Who do we go for?

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
we should be all over signing him, excellent young defender, reads the game superbly and very good on the ball,
We seem to have switched attention to Ruben Dias as Sevilla want megabucks for Kounde and Porto seem interested in taking Otamendi and his salary off our books.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think our best chance was when we tried to sign him up as a youth and we botched it by changing the deal re his accomodation and such. It is what it is though.

He can't be the only centre half in the world who can improve us who isnt called Kalidou Koulibaly though. The scouting team need to come through here as I can't think of a single CB who is definitely better than the options that we have, is available and is affordable.
Overrated and overpriced

croadyman

Highly unlikely I know but maybe we could still go for Upamecano if we can sell a few players this week, something like Dalot, Pereira, Smalling & Rojo

thomas porter

Upamecano is what we need next to Maguire. Fast, athletic, and can compliment Harry's skills in the air and passing the ball out of the back.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
every pundit under the sun is saying we need a different partner for Maguire, but Ive yet to see credible link that we are in for someone this window?

Upamecano isn't happening this window.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Highly unlikely I know but maybe we could still go for Upamecano if we can sell a few players this week, something like Dalot, Pereira, Smalling & Rojo
Sell 4 players in one week. That would be an astronomical improvement in efficiency.

But yes, he is the one. I'd prioritise him over getting a new left back.

Murray3007

We seem to have switched attention to Ruben Dias as Sevilla want megabucks for Kounde and Porto seem interested in taking Otamendi and his salary off our books.
seen the reported fee for Dias, would be paying the extra for Kounde if am honest, Dias seems a slight upgrade on Otamendi, way to rash in the tackles when I have seen him. don't think he would be a big enough upgrade for what city need at the back

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Thing is, as much as we need a CB right now, what big club doesn't? It doesn't take a genius to realise there is a serious lack of top quality CBs in the game. Of all the top CBs playing right now, only VVD could be mentioned alongside some of those playing in the EPL 10-15 years ago.

In terms of who we could go for, I'd absolutely gun for Upamecano as a "one for the future" option, but I think we could find ourselves needing to bring in a finished article choice too. That's where I'm stumped. We're supposed to have the best scouting team in the game. They need to earn their buck on this one, because to fix our defensive issues without breaking record fees is going to take some doing. I wouldn't be totally surprised if Shaw is used centrally once Telles is here.

ROFLUTION

Go for Rüdiger on loan with option to buy. Not a bad shout imo. Lets face it, we wont spend loads.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
Yeah he is but will have to wait it out until next summer for him
He has half a dozen offers from the biggest clubs in Europe lined up the day his release clause can come into effect.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Problem with Upamecano is he still makes silly mistakes, which is fine as he is still developing. so you’re looking at 12-18 months to mature and adjust to the pressure of Manchester United and unique features of the Premier League.

That’s assuming he makes it out the other side and doesn’t end up as our latest version of Rojo, Darmian, Lindelöf or Bailly.

Any new incoming needs to be fully educated in his craft and prove they can handle the big stage. Smalling is an obvious fit and the crazy part of it is if he were called Smallino and available from Roma for £20m, we’d be all over it!

El Jefe

Everytime I've watched Kounde he looks great. He was excellent against us too in the EL semi final.

shahzy

No point wasting money on an unscouted player. Try a new pairing Baily and Lindelof. This maguire experiment has gone on long enough

Dominos

It looks like we decided we've not got the money for both Sancho and a centre back this summer and so we picked Sancho. I supported this view to be honest on the basis that world class attacking player would win us more points over the season than a centre back, and we didn't actually defend that badly last season and the biggest improvement we could make was in our goals scored rather than goals conceded.

I didn't anticipate our defence turning into a bunch of clowns that concede 15 clear chances per game to be fair. An optimistic view is at some point we'll settle down and return to our most solid points that we were at last season, realistically there's no reason we can't at least replicate what we did last season defensively, even if it wasn't the best it was far from the shambles we're seeing at the moment.

Now it looks like the CB vs Sancho decision was silly because it looks like we'll get neither...

Not being able to shift at least 2 of Smalling Jones and Rojo is just incredible incompetence really.

The last issue is I don't think there's a stand out CB target that is established and isn't a massive risk of them turning out to be shit like our current options. But then again what the hell do our scouts get paid for.

Red_Orchestra

Upamecano and or Milenkovic as starters for me.
To tell you the truth I'd take a loss and gut our whole entire center back position, this is not just based on todays gut wrenching performance.

beingshe7don

Upamecano and Badiashile.... are of a similar age group. I think what we've lacked is CB chemistry which I feel Upamecano and Badiashile can develop.

SamoyedSam

Supports
Notts County
Upamecano reminds me a lot of John Stones a few years ago. Talented and cultured centre back but has mistakes in him, usually poor concentration. Whether he can develop beyond that is a risk. He could certainly be an option next summer.

WPMUFC

What do we think the chance is now of getting Dembele on loan and spunking some of the Sancho kitty on a CB as a panic response to last night?

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
If we aren't getting Sancho for 100M Euros, then it should be:
Dembele (loan with obligation to buy next year - 50m),
Telles (buy) - not a big buy, he's around 20M euros
Cavani (free) - won't even show on our club finances until next year since it's only agent fees right now,
a top CB (40-50m)
A CDM if they can scramble something together like Partey.

Out:
Smalling
Romero

Next year Out:
Lingard
Jones

In, Sancho if he's interested still (if we need him)

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
There must be a few CBs in the Championship better than what we have. Anyone basically at this stage would be an improvement.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
There must be a few CBs in the Championship better than what we have. Anyone basically at this stage would be an improvement.
That Godfrey Everton just got from Norwich would’ve been an improvement over what we have now. We’ve spent another summer going for pie in the sky targets rather than getting good realistic players. :(

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Oh geez i dont even remember that. I must have destroyed it from my memory it went that bad :lol:
They haven't been playing together much but when they did in the league, that Brighton game 2 years when Glen Murray destroyed us wasn't a good memory at all.

cptkeane1993

What about Jonathan Tah or Milan Skriniar? Both looked available this summer..

Maguire seems to have been distracted by his off-field issues, we really need a CB today unless we are hoping for Tuanzebe to be the answer but that would be asking a lot of him.

Kaos

Upamecano should be the priority. Until then I'd honestly just take a punt on our younger CBs - i.e Tuanzebe/Mengi, etc. They can't be any worse than the shower that have played at the back for us recently.