Champions League Final 2019 | Spurs v Liverpool (1st June)

AaronRedDevil

Your too young to hate Liverpool. So I get it.
I mean I'm 27. The only trophy i ever saw them win was the CL. Though I see why a lot of older United fans hate Liverpool. Hard to hate a team that had not much success when United were cleaning up the trophies in my days :D

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool has unlocked many teams that have tried to park the bus on them. However, I agree that they are weak against counter attacking teams as their fullback push very high up the pitch and they play with a high line. Klopp heavy metal football looks to exploit teams that tries to play from the back, so it will be risky if Spurs tries to pass their way out of it. A Target man will be key for Spurs and even though Llorente is perhaps the best Spurs has when it comes to launching it forward, he doesn’t have the legs to run in behind or do anything else. As such the return of Kane will be very important for them. Moreover, Spurs 4-2-3-1 with two holding mid present which give their cb an option to pass the ball to and two wide player is a good counter to it. Overall, It is about having the correct balance toward controlling the flow of the game and being tight at the back. They need their cdm and cb to be good at launching it accurately forward and also be calm in possession. Eriksen and Ali has made a lot of errors from deep recently so Klopp gegenpressing will make those two a liability if playing deeper early on.
Don’t think we’ve conceded a counter attack goal all season. It’s an area we’ve improved in massively and is certainly true for the league

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Don’t think we’ve conceded a counter attack goal all season. It’s an area we’ve improved in massively and is certainly true for the league
I have not been following Liverpool games much but I do know that Spurs should have scored from a counter against you guys the last time you met.

At that point, Spurs would have ended Liverpool title dream, but because of good defending and poor finishing that didn’t happen.
Would Spurs actually start Kane ? He might be physically fit by the time the final's played, but he'll be short of match fitness. I think Poch might have him on the bench with a view to bringing him on if things aren't going to plan.
I don’t think they would. As you mentioned, lack of match fitness. However, I feel his hold up play will be ideal to combat Klopp pressing moreso than Llorente or Moura or Son.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Take the blue print of how we beat them comfortably last year at OT. Exploit the space between the FB and CB with a long ball from the back.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Disgraceful:
Now that they have caught their breath, many Liverpool and Tottenham fans say their delight at qualifying for the Champions League final has been tempered by the prices they are facing to get to Madrid to watch the game.

The cost of seats on flights to the city have rocketed to more than £1,300 on the weekend of the 1st June game – more than 12 times the usual rate. At the same time Airbnb bookings have been cancelled by hosts demanding triple the price they originally offered. And the face-value price even for some restricted view match tickets is more than £400.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...nd-tottenham-fans-face-high-price-for-success

zkap

Supports
Barça
Congratulations to Liverpool on reaching the Final. What a comeback that was on Tuesday night. That team showed fight, determination, passion and belief. Fully deserved to go through, as the result of the first leg didn’t reflect the balance of the game. Overall Liverpool were a far better team than Barça and they mopped the floor with us in the second leg. Without Salah and Firmino, playing after a difficult away game to Newcastle against a team that has had plenty of time to rest, and they do this. Just fantastic.

I wanted Ajax to win the Champions League if Barça couldn’t, but now I’m hoping Liverpool get the trophy. What they did this season is too good to go trophyless.

Josh 76

Congratulations to Liverpool on reaching the Final. What a comeback that was on Tuesday night. That team showed fight, determination, passion and belief. Fully deserved to go through, as the result of the first leg didn’t reflect the balance of the game. Overall Liverpool were a far better team than Barça and they mopped the floor with us in the second leg. Without Salah and Firmino, playing after a difficult away game to Newcastle against a team that has had plenty of time to rest, and they do this. Just fantastic.

I wanted Ajax to win the Champions League if Barça couldn’t, but now I’m hoping Liverpool get the trophy. What they did this season is too good to go trophyless.
Wrong forum
You need to post this in RAWK

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

Thanks zkap. Our feeling for Barça is mutual, even with Suarez in the team. Prefer you a million times over Madrid.

PGLFC91

Supports
Liverpool
If we lose the league with 97 points and lose a second UCL Final in a row to fecking Spurs, I genuinely give up and I'm not sure how the players will come back from that either.

We must win on June 1st and there is no pressure on Spurs. Obviously they will be nervous and hopefully last seasons final will have helped us in that regard.

I still think we will win it and Spurs will come out with great credit that they reached the final spending no money. But I would have been fifty times more confident playing that Ajax team. Liverpool would have won that with a bit to spare.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
If we lose the league with 97 points and lose a second UCL Final in a row to fecking Spurs, I genuinely give up and I'm not sure how the players will come back from that either.

We must win on June 1st and there is no pressure on Spurs. Obviously they will be nervous and hopefully last seasons final will have helped us in that regard.

I still think we will win it and Spurs will come out with great credit that they reached the final spending no money. But I would have been fifty times more confident playing that Ajax team. Liverpool would have won that with a bit to spare.
Players shouldn't really blame themselves. It is an amazing season no matter what. A cup final is very different from a league game, the motivational factor is very strong and the pressure is huge. I believe that if Pool wins the league it can actually makes their motivational levels drops to the UCL final.

Wulfric

Supports
Liverpool
I'd bet my house Liverpool-Ajax would be a hell of an open game, A real CL final with both teams playing attacking football, and in the end I'd fancy our chances against them due to our style of play.

However against spurs it'd be totally different. we know them well, they know us well. Poch has already lost twice against us this season which means they're going to play the cautious game in the final, no doubt. also, god knows how klopp prepares the team for the match. gung-ho style just like we did against barca? cautious like the bayern game?

I really preferred Ajax over Spurs, I still think we got the better chance to win it though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
I'd bet my house Liverpool-Ajax would be a hell of an open game, A real CL final with both teams playing attacking football, and in the end I'd fancy our chances against them due to our style of play.

However against spurs it'd be totally different. we know them well, they know us well. Poch has already lost twice against us this season which means they're going to play the cautious game in the final, no doubt. also, god knows how klopp prepares the team for the match. gung-ho style just like we did against barca? cautious like the bayern game?

I really preferred Ajax over Spurs, I still think we got the better chance to win it though.
You are the favorites now, unlike 2005, 2007 and 2017. Losing this final would be a bitter failure.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
So what is the injury news so far? I hear Kane may just about be ready, as will Firmino, Salah, Robertson. But Vertonghen was seen on crutches?

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Torres joined Liverpool a few months after the 2007 final.
Bloody hell, so he did. :lol: Peak Crouch? :wenger:

We were considered favourites though and outplayed them. But they deserved the cup after the way we won it off them in 2005.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
To think that both these teams were a goal away from getting dumped into the Europa League!

Schneckerl

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
We were favourites in 2007. That aged Milan team was woeful by then and we had peak Torres.
Our frontline was Pennant, Kuyt and Zenden, with Crouch as the sub that should have started ahead of Kuyt. We weren't favourites.

Dreadful final in terms of quality though, from both sides. Even Maldini couldn't trap simple passes.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Our frontline was Pennant, Kuyt and Zenden, with Crouch as the sub that should have started ahead of Kuyt. We weren't favourites.

Dreadful final in terms of quality though, from both sides. Even Maldini couldn't trap simple passes.
Exactly, I remember us actually being the better of the shit teams on display but losing. Karma did its bit for 2005.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
I don't feel sorry at all for the Airbnb people: scumbag business.

That said, are easyjet or ryanair that expensive? (UCL final, I know, but I'm surprised they have increased the price that much).

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
DCL and Richarlison out of the game against Spurs. Coleman is a doubt.

Operation stop Liverpool is ON.

CognitiveNeuro

It is 50-50.

Forget the league campaign and previous matches as this is a one off match. Out of all the managers, Pochettino has always given Klopp serious problems in the past especially the second half of the Anfield game. He makes small tactical changes that gives Spurs big advantages and Klopp usually takes a long time to make adjustments. The two games were really close this season and could have gone either way (the penalty not given after foul on Son in the first game and the clanger from Lloris in the second game). I just feel it will be a tense, close game where one goal might separate the two teams.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Of course you preferred to face Ajax in the final, Liverpool would’ve absolutely annihilated those kids with their physicality.
Would’ve been over within the first 20 minutes.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I'll go with Liverpool on this one, even from last season I was glad they reached the final and I would consider them favorites against Tottenham. Klopp has done a good work there and it would be a great achievment in a season they might end up in second despite collecting so many points.

HisDudeness

Supports
Rangers
It is 50-50.

Forget the league campaign and previous matches as this is a one off match. Out of all the managers, Pochettino has always given Klopp serious problems in the past especially the second half of the Anfield game. He makes small tactical changes that gives Spurs big advantages and Klopp usually takes a long time to make adjustments. The two games were really close this season and could have gone either way (the penalty not given after foul on Son in the first game and the clanger from Lloris in the second game). I just feel it will be a tense, close game where one goal might separate the two teams.

i wouldn't exactly say 50/50. but yeah... spurs can upset the odds. but i suspect that liverpool will dominate.

liverpool will dominate, but spurs do have individuals to upset the odds

MrEleson

Bloody hell, so he did. :lol: Peak Crouch? :wenger:

We were considered favourites though and outplayed them. But they deserved the cup after the way we won it off them in 2005.
How were Liverpool favourites when Milan had just dismantled premier league champions Man Utd in the previous round convincingly? Not to mention having Kaka (future Ballon D’or winner) in their ranks. They were indeed aging but I would still have had them over Liverpool going into the final.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
DCL and Richarlison out of the game against Spurs. Coleman is a doubt.

Operation stop Liverpool is ON.
Excellent. Let's just agree to jog around, have a lovely 0-0 draw, injure nobody and keep everyone intact for 1st June shall we? :D

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
How were Liverpool favourites when Milan had just dismantled premier league champions Man Utd in the previous round convincingly? Not to mention having Kaka (future Ballon D’or winner) in their ranks. They were indeed aging but I would still have had them over Liverpool going into the final.
The voice of reason.

And Man Utd would have thrashed Liverpool in that UCL 07 final.