Champions League Final 2019 | Spurs v Liverpool (1st June)

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Great to see Dele back to form tonight. Just shows what he can do when played higher up the pitch which we haven't really been able to do most of the season due to injuries.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Two teams from the same country. One finished fourth and one third last season. And likely to finish second and third this season.

No other country would have that combo in the CL final.

Inter Yer Nan

Two teams from the same country. One finished fourth and one third last season. And likely to finish second and third this season.

Or two teams with a combined no leagues won since 1990 and just one league cup combined since 2006.

The premier league seems is hitting that generation where it's going to be absolute hell to get back to the top of it but when you're at the top you're so battle tested and equipped to win multiple things and have multiple teams deep in both european competition.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

Well the Madrid final in 2014 had one third place team in the final (R.Madrid).

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I had a bet on Spurs to qualify pre game and they were 5/2. Would imagine they'd have been over 20/1 at half time so add in Liverpool being around that price at kick off last night so nice double for the punters who constantly bet on football miracles.

They come off from time to time. It's just trying not to get into too many overdrafts to reap the rewards. :lol::rolleyes:
At half time my bookie had Spurs to progress @ 15 but Spurs to win the match @ 26. Mugging people off with the first one because both were quite literally the same thing :rolleyes:

The Real Treble 99

As good as Ajax have been the inexperience & the lack of physicality was their downfall. Said with 30 min to go that I’d rather Spurs than Ajax facing Pool. If Spurs could pressure them that much in the 2nd half imagine what Pool would’ve done to them.
This is going to be an exciting final & I can see quite a few goals. On paper I think Pool have a better outfit especially their defence but if Spurs have all their players then it’s going to be a ding dong of a match.
Both Spurs & Pool deserve to be in the Final & it’s a fantastic advertisement for the Premier League. Let’s just hope Potch & the crew finish them off otherwise it’s going to be an unbearable summer.
Only downside to all this that I feel really embarrassed for our team. How badly we have faded & how far behind we are from being anywhere near how these teams perform.
Only positive from this remarkable wins should set off alarm bells for Utd if not from before. The board & the team should seriously sort this mess out & now has to be the time do it. To the players, your either in or out. Play the Utd way or get out.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
This, this x 100.

Spurs have utterly no chance of winning that game.

It's Liverpool's.
In that case the bookies would offer odds of infinity to 1 against Spurs. But actually they offer an average of 13/8 against … which is, you know, a fair bit away from infinity.

Dash247

All the English teams are improving while we are meh. I don't even think we are the 6th best or even 7th best team in EPL.

1. Man City
2. Liverpool
3. Spurs
4. Chelsea
5. Arsenal
6. Wolves/Everton/Leicester/Manchester United
7. Wolves/Everton/Leicester/Manchester United
8. Wolves/Everton/Leicester/Manchester United

We are on par with these teams.

Like what the hell.

Congrats to Livepool and Spurs for making finals. I hope Chelsea and Arsenal do the same, with City with the title and we are no where to be seen.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Some fun facts about Spurs:

1) Their form and results since they played United, is worse than United's. They have lost 13 games since then. To give you an idea of how bad that is, Moyes only lost two more in his entire time as United manager. To find 13 defeats under Mourinho for United you have to go all the way back to the 2-0 defeat to Spurs in January of LAST year. These are two managers who both got sacked from a barely top four club due to losing too many games. Spurs are, over a quite prolonged period of the season, performing worse than us.

2) They've lost 19 games this season. The same number as Newcastle United. More than Man Utd, West Ham, Watford, etc.

3) They are 25 points off the top of their own league

4) You have to go back to the 25th January for the last time they didn't lose an away game in the league.

I know people don't like Liverpool and will just cheer for any team they play against, but Tottenham winning the Champions League makes a mockery of the competition. They are a worse team than the Chelsea side that won it in 2012 and a worse team than the Arsenal sides that used to get routinely thrashed by Bayern/Barcelona and laughed at by everyone.

Liverpool have been one of the strongest sides in the competition and out played every team they've faced with the possible exception of PSG. They would be credible European Champions. Tottenham would be a borderline farce result that the London press would paint over as one of the greatest achievements in sport. It would become the Spurs fan's version of "we won England the world cup in 66". I dislike the idea of it more than I do the idea of Liverpool winning.

I would have hated them winning it last year because I think they lucked their way to the final with the draw. This year it wouldn't be so hard to take as I think they've been good enough to deserve it.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Liverpool have been one of the strongest sides in the competition and out played every team they've faced with the possible exception of PSG. They would be credible European Champions. Tottenham would be a borderline farce result that the London press would paint over as one of the greatest achievements in sport. It would become the Spurs fan's version of "we won England the world cup in 66". I dislike the idea of it more than I do the idea of Liverpool winning.

I would have hated them winning it last year because I think they lucked their way to the final with the draw. This year it wouldn't be so hard to take as I think they've been good enough to deserve it.
Noodle, go and have a word with yourself in the mirror mate.

A firm word.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
It's crazy but I think Spurs is as good as Pool (without Salah). It's just about which version of Spurs turn up.
That is crazy...they are technically worse than us since the turn of the year...and most of the games they have won (which is quite a few less than the number they've lost) were by the odd goal and massively unconvincing.

I don't get where the myth of Spurs comes from. I find it as annoying as the Liverpool gushing as Spurs constantly get praised for doing absolutely nothing at all.

tenpoless

That is crazy...they are technically worse than us since the turn of the year...and most of the games they have won (which is quite a few less than the number they've lost) were by the odd goal and massively unconvincing.

I don't get where the myth of Spurs comes from. I find it as annoying as the Liverpool gushing as Spurs constantly get praised for doing absolutely nothing at all.
If you look at the players and not the past performances, They do seem on par though. If it's not the bottler version that turn up I believe They have a chance.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs

True .. if you count reaching the CL final as "absolutely nothing at all".

Barca haven't reached the final this season, nor have B. Munich, or Juve, or City, or Real Madrid, or PSG.

But Spurs have.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Noodle, go and have a word with yourself in the mirror mate.

A firm word.
No sorry...I don't want Liverpool winning, but I can't remember any team ever being as lucky over the course of a whole season as Spurs have been...and this is a team who despite that were within an inch of struggling to even finish above United. THe delusion bubble around them dwarths the one around Liverpool quite considerably.

The CL gets built up as the pinnacle of the sport so there's only a certain level of crap/lucky a team can be and I can still bring myself to want them to win. Even when Chelsea won it, at least there was the acknowledgement that it was basically a big fluke and they should just enjoy it anyway...what you'll get with Spurs is the complete opposite. They are built up as a miracle team when they do things like beat Fulham 2-1. If they win the Champions League you will be hearing about the alternate reality version of it for decades. Liverpool on the other hand would make it horrible for a few months then get on with trying to win it again.

MagicKarpet

Supports
Tottenham

1) Their form and results since they played United, is worse than United's. They have lost 13 games since then. To give you an idea of how bad that is, Moyes only lost two more in his entire time as United manager. To find 13 defeats under Mourinho for United you have to go all the way back to the 2-0 defeat to Spurs in January of LAST year. These are two managers who both got sacked from a barely top four club due to losing too many games. Spurs are, over a quite prolonged period of the season, performing worse than us.

2) They've lost 19 games this season. The same number as Newcastle United. More than Man Utd, West Ham, Watford, etc.

4) You have to go back to the 25th January for the last time they didn't lose an away game in the league.

I know people don't like Liverpool and will just cheer for any team they play against, but Tottenham winning the Champions League makes a mockery of the competition. They are a worse team than the Chelsea side that won it in 2012 and a worse team than the Arsenal sides that used to get routinely thrashed by Bayern/Barcelona and laughed at by everyone.

The bitterness in this post is actually hilarious, this is before you get into the crux of it and you realise it's a load of fekin nonsense :lol:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
If you look at the players and not the past performances, They do seem on par though. If it's not the bottler version that turn up I believe They have a chance.
Not really. Liverpool have easily better players, play better, don't lose over half the games they play. Better goalkeeper, better defenders, better midfield, better forwards. Better attitude. Have a better manager.

They've beaten Spurs twice this season, including an embarassingly one sided game at Wembley.

The only reason I think Spurs have a chance is because I've never known a team to be so good at being lucky. Again I feel like I have to keep saying this, but Spurs results are unfavourably comparable to ours, never mind Liverpool. They are not a team who should be anywhere near a CL final. They're a product of the fact the Champions League this year has featured more circus acts than it has high quality games of football. It's good from an entertainment perspective but it's created a missmatch of a final for the second year running.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The bitterness in this post is actually hilarious, this is before you get into the crux of it and you realise it's a load of fekin nonsense :lol:
Well except that I dislike Liverpool a lot more than I dislike your lot, so I'm not sure the bitterness angle works.

The fact is you're a 4th place team (and one of the weakest ones in recent years at that) who over the second half of this season have lost more games than you've won. Liverpool are a team on nearly 100 league points who beat Barcelona 4-0 and thrashed Bayern Munich, in Munich. One of you is one of the best teams in Europe. The other quite clearly isn't.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Worse season in living memory, hate both spurs and Liverpool so don’t care who wins it’s a lose lose situation
It's Spurs. Who gives an actual feck about then? Go Spurs!!

Pretty certain liverpool will win this

always_hoping

All the English teams are improving while we are meh. I don't even think we are the 6th best or even 7th best team in EPL.

1. Man City
2. Liverpool
3. Spurs
4. Chelsea
5. Arsenal
6. Wolves/Everton/Leicester/Manchester United
7. Wolves/Everton/Leicester/Manchester United
8. Wolves/Everton/Leicester/Manchester United

We are on par with these teams.

Like what the hell.

Congrats to Livepool and Spurs for making finals. I hope Chelsea and Arsenal do the same, with City with the title and we are no where to be seen.
Whatever about a cup competitions where luck and shocks happen the league table doesn't lie. United will finish 5th or 6th making them on par with Arsenal. Everton,Leicester and Wolves will all finish 10 to 15 points behind United.

Noodle what about Liverpool winning the champions league in 2005? they finished 5th in the EPL that season with just 58 points.

Last edited:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
The correct assessment. You are the favourites, but it's a one-off game and with Kane likely back who knows.
How’re you going to line up if Kane is fit? You can’t drop Moura or Son and Kane plays if he’s fit, so does Alli miss out?

I like you noodle.

motsjo

No sorry...I don't want Liverpool winning, but I can't remember any team ever being as lucky over the course of a whole season as Spurs have been...and this is a team who despite that were within an inch of struggling to even finish above United. THe delusion bubble around them dwarths the one around Liverpool quite considerably.

The CL gets built up as the pinnacle of the sport so there's only a certain level of crap/lucky a team can be and I can still bring myself to want them to win. Even when Chelsea won it, at least there was the acknowledgement that it was basically a big fluke and they should just enjoy it anyway...what you'll get with Spurs is the complete opposite. They are built up as a miracle team when they do things like beat Fulham 2-1. If they win the Champions League you will be hearing about the alternate reality version of it for decades. Liverpool on the other hand would make it horrible for a few months then get on with trying to win it again.
You can't be serious. First of all, this is exactly the opposite of what will happen. If the unspeakable were to happen, that would be what we'd hear about for decades. How you can even put Tottenham winning it in the same category I'll never understand. Who cares about the integrity of the Champions League? Let Tottenham win it in the most farcical way possible. An offside handball winning goal with a powerout in the VAR room sounds perfect. Secondly, I'd gladly sing when the spurs go marching in 5 times a day for the rest of my life if it means pool not winning anything.

Rito

Supports
Chelsea
At least the ridiculous argument that "he hasn't won anything so he must be bad" will be put to rest for either of Klopp or Poch. The losing side will still be called a bottler though.

Web of Bissaka

Spurs only chance for silverware this season, better not feck it up like how they tend to.

Then again, the opposing team also have a nice bottling record so equal fair chance for both I suppose.

Hopefully if..
Liverpool win league -- they'll be overconfident, complacent and smug for this game.
Liverpool lose league -- they'll be so disappointed affecting their form and morale for this game.

Rito

Supports
Chelsea
Dont know how people are writing off Spurs, especially after what we've seen in this UCL campaign. Upsets and comebacks galore.

Yes, on paper , Liverpool looks stronger. But anything can happen in a final.

Angry Virginian

Supports
Tottenham
Out of 55+ games this season, Kane, Eriksen, Dele, and Son all started together in just 10 games. The whole squad will likely be available on June 1st (pending Wanyama's diagnosis). It will be interesting.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
At least the ridiculous argument that "he hasn't won anything so he must be bad" will be put to rest for either of Klopp or Poch. The losing side will still be called a bottler though.
Why would spurs be considered bottlers if they lose. They are quite clearly the underdogs. So how is that “ bottling “ it?

Treble

Spurs are favourites for this game because they are not...favourites. No matter what happens they are heroes to reach the CL final.

On the other hand, IF Liverpool lose the final and the EPL battle, a lot of questions will be asked and the anti-climax will be huge. IF, however, they win the PL, Spurs won't be able to stop them.

Sunday will shape the psychological atmosphere around the CL final to a significant extent. If Liverpool finish 2nd, they will be quite anxious in the final whereas Spurs will be flying.