Champions League Final 2019 | Spurs v Liverpool (1st June)

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
It's almost sad that a half fit Kane lacking match sharpness is probably better than any options we have up front on current form.

I agree Liverpool victory as I feel they are just better all round with fewer weaknesses, I dont feel it will be routine however. But that is what comes from investing in your squad, Klopp has been handsomely backed by his club. Pochettino is scraping by with peanuts and playing Rose out of position in midfield in some games along with some 18 y/o academy youngster because he simply doesnt have anyone else.

Spurs have enough firepower up top to hurt anyone, they can deploy a very physical midfield with Sissoko and Dier/Wanyama. Have invention and creativity from Alli and Eriksen, and a solid defense with Alderweireld - Vertonghen duo.

Having said all that I dont think it is even a debate who 99% of caf will be supporting. Who actually wants Liverpool to win other than Liverpool fans?

VP

Some fun facts about Spurs:

1) Their form and results since they played United, is worse than United's. They have lost 13 games since then. To give you an idea of how bad that is, Moyes only lost two more in his entire time as United manager. To find 13 defeats under Mourinho for United you have to go all the way back to the 2-0 defeat to Spurs in January of LAST year. These are two managers who both got sacked from a barely top four club due to losing too many games. Spurs are, over a quite prolonged period of the season, performing worse than us.

2) They've lost 19 games this season. The same number as Newcastle United. More than Man Utd, West Ham, Watford, etc.

3) They are 25 points off the top of their own league

4) You have to go back to the 25th January for the last time they didn't lose an away game in the league.

I know people don't like Liverpool and will just cheer for any team they play against, but Tottenham winning the Champions League makes a mockery of the competition. They are a worse team than the Chelsea side that won it in 2012 and a worse team than the Arsenal sides that used to get routinely thrashed by Bayern/Barcelona and laughed at by everyone.

Liverpool have been one of the strongest sides in the competition and out played every team they've faced with the possible exception of PSG. They would be credible European Champions. Tottenham would be a borderline farce result that the London press would paint over as one of the greatest achievements in sport. It would become the Spurs fan's version of "we won England the world cup in 66". I dislike the idea of it more than I do the idea of Liverpool winning.

I would have hated them winning it last year because I think they lucked their way to the final with the draw. This year it wouldn't be so hard to take as I think they've been good enough to deserve it.

This is just mad. Several CL winners, including Madrid and Milan, have had worse domestic seasons and more luck in the CL.

A decade ago, Spurs' season highlight was beating Arsenal - now they're in the CL final after barely spending anything. How can anyone begrudge them this success? And they're playing bloody Liverpool in the final.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
True. But I was using the finalists from the same country. No other league other than the PL could do this IMO.
The 2014 final was an all Spain final (A.Madrid vs R.Madrid). A Madrid ended up league champions that season.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs

… 4) You have to go back to the 25th January for the last time they didn't lose an away game in the league. …
You have to go back 10 hours for the last time they didn't lose an away game in the Champions League.

Fun facts vs the only fact that matters. It's no contest.

You have to go all the way back to Red Star Belgrade v Marseille in 1991 to find a more uninspiring lineup than these two.

Still, i hope Spurs win but i cant see it happening. Liverpool are a level above them and it will take a bottle job bigger than anything Klopp has managed before to screw it up.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Either side winning will be one hell of an achievement when you consider where they both were just a few years ago. Spurs were a routinely midtable team just a decade ago and have worked there way up to the Champions League final over time by building their squad with barely any investment. Liverpool finished 8th in the Premier League just three years ago, and while they've spent a lot of money over the last couple of years, they've bought very well & they've sold very very well. Their net spend is quite shockingly low. Some unbelievable bargains in there with the likes of Robertson, Matip, Milner, Wijnaldum, Mane, Firmino, Salah etc

Say what you want anyway, I'd much rather this final than City vs. PSG. At least these two feel like proper football clubs.

LARulz

My birthday that day. Don't let Liverpool ruin it Spurs!

Slysi17

Worse season in living memory, hate both spurs and Liverpool so don’t care who wins it’s a lose lose situation
I get the hate for Liverpool cos I fecking hate them as well but don't get the hate for Tottenham. I actually like how they have progressed without spending insane money due to not having a billionaire owner. I admire them to be honest. Probably the only team in the top 6 that I respect and like a bit.

PGLFC91

Supports
Liverpool
Spurs are favourites for this game because they are not...favourites. No matter what happens they are heroes to reach the CL final.

On the other hand, IF Liverpool lose the final and the EPL battle, a lot of questions will be asked and the anti-climax will be huge. IF, however, they win the PL, Spurs won't be able to stop them.

Sunday will shape the psychological atmosphere around the CL final to a significant extent. If Liverpool finish 2nd, they will be quite anxious in the final whereas Spurs will be flying.
That is absolute nonsense.

In that case, Liverpool should have been feeling sorry for themselves on Tuesday after Kompany's wonder goal.

The reality is City are winning the league and Liverpool will not be affected by that on June 1st. That is not to say we will win but they are not fragile!

Slysi17

If Liverpool win it we won't hear the end of it, their fans are just insufferable. If Spurs win it, Liverpool will go full meltdown mode and Tottenham fans will have the ultimate cheeky banter card against Arsenal supporters, no idea how a United fan would want Liverpool to win even if they deserve it. Sportsmanship and paying respect where it's due is good but the thought of Pool winning makes me nauseous.
Its literally a win win situation for us Manchester United fans if Tottenham win. Spurs fans won't gloat about it, Liverpool lose another final and pisses off Arsenal fans including that wanker DT from Arsenal Fan TV.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

1) Their form and results since they played United, is worse than United's. They have lost 13 games since then. To give you an idea of how bad that is, Moyes only lost two more in his entire time as United manager. To find 13 defeats under Mourinho for United you have to go all the way back to the 2-0 defeat to Spurs in January of LAST year. These are two managers who both got sacked from a barely top four club due to losing too many games. Spurs are, over a quite prolonged period of the season, performing worse than us.

2) They've lost 19 games this season. The same number as Newcastle United. More than Man Utd, West Ham, Watford, etc.

4) You have to go back to the 25th January for the last time they didn't lose an away game in the league.

I know people don't like Liverpool and will just cheer for any team they play against, but Tottenham winning the Champions League makes a mockery of the competition. They are a worse team than the Chelsea side that won it in 2012 and a worse team than the Arsenal sides that used to get routinely thrashed by Bayern/Barcelona and laughed at by everyone.

Liverpool have been one of the strongest sides in the competition and out played every team they've faced with the possible exception of PSG. They would be credible European Champions. Tottenham would be a borderline farce result that the London press would paint over as one of the greatest achievements in sport. It would become the Spurs fan's version of "we won England the world cup in 66". I dislike the idea of it more than I do the idea of Liverpool winning.

I would have hated them winning it last year because I think they lucked their way to the final with the draw. This year it wouldn't be so hard to take as I think they've been good enough to deserve it.
What has league form got to do with the Champions League? And why would us winning it be a *total farce*?

Siorac

I mean, sure, Spurs' league form has been hilarious since the turn of the year but the Champions League always had these winners. Real Madrid, in 2000, got a grand total of 62 points in La Liga. 62. Moyes was better than that. Yet they won the CL, knocking out United, all-conquering, unstoppable-looking United.

Then there was Liverpool 2005, Milan 2007, Chelsea 2012 - basically, since the rapid expansion of the Champions League, such "farcical" wins have been happening every few years. If Spurs happened to win it, it would be a great achievement for them - I'm not sure what your problem is with that.

If anything, I feel like you should be railing against the current Champions League format. If only champions are let in, this doesn't happen. Well, I mean, it can: champions can finish mid-table the following season while winning the CL but at least they won the league to get in to the tournament. But then we wouldn't have had this Ajax side, for example, and the competition would have been the poorer for it.

Treble

That is absolute nonsense.

In that case, Liverpool should have been feeling sorry for themselves on Tuesday after Kompany's wonder goal.

The reality is City are winning the league and Liverpool will not be affected by that on June 1st. That is not to say we will win but they are not fragile!
Wishful thinking.

Part of your success against Barca the other day was that the game was a free hit. You had nothing to lose. It will be the same with Spurs in the final. They have nothing to lose. Liverpool, on the other hand...

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What has league form got to do with the Champions League? And why would us winning it be a *total farce*?
Cos Noodle likes to write long, funny monologues and, having grown up in the last 20-30 years in Essex I believe, struggles to see Spurs as anything other than the team Man Utd smash twice a season and pick off whenever they please.

Whenever I see Levy or Poch criticised on here, I do laugh. Man alive. Think about what people would have said when Levy came in 2001 and you'd have said we'd have qualified for the CL three (hopefully four) seasons in a row and now in a CL final. Even 5 seasons ago, people would probably have laughed.

What a job they've done.

We're definite underdogs but in a one off match, who knows?

Last edited:

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
From the BBC:

"The 2019 Champions League final will be only the third major European final in history to feature two English teams, after the 1972 Uefa Cup final (Spurs v Wolves) and 2008 Champions League final (Man Utd v Chelsea)."

doomy20

Back to back Champions League finals and most possibly winners in 2019 - Liverpool will have a massive budget boost available in the future. Plus all their core players stay, they also have youth players who actually perform in their team. I think they will continue their rush next season.

Kapardin

Its literally a win win situation for us Manchester United fans if Tottenham win. Spurs fans won't gloat about it, Liverpool lose another final and pisses off Arsenal fans including that wanker DT from Arsenal Fan TV.
Yep pretty much. And though my head says Liverpool are overwhelming favorites, I have a strange gut feeling that this is Spurs' year. I hope my feeling is right.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Was slightly gutted that Spurs won last night. Not got anything against them, but I think we'd have destroyed Ajax in the final. It's pretty much 50/50 now I reckon. We had 2 narrow victories against against Tottenham this season. In both games we were fortunate. I just hope lady luck stays with us for the final. Don't think it'll be a classic though.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Back to back Champions League finals and most possibly winners in 2019 - Liverpool will have a massive budget boost available in the future. Plus all their core players stay, they also have youth players who actually perform in their team. I think they will continue their rush next season.
Amazing to think Klopp's gotten us to 3 European finals in his short time with us. I'll obviously be disappointed if we don't win in Madrid, but as long as Jurgen remains manager, then I see no reason why he won't eventually break his duck - for us anyway - in a big final.

Treble

Was slightly gutted that Spurs won last night. Not got anything against them, but I think we'd have destroyed Ajax in the final. It's pretty much 50/50 now I reckon. We had 2 narrow victories against against Tottenham this season. In both games we were fortunate. I just hope lady luck stays with us for the final. Don't think it'll be a classic though.
Think you are right to expect a tough game. Similarly to you, City had two narrow wins vs Spurs in the league. But they lost in the CL. Lady luck may change colours.

LFCKop

Supports
Liverpool
if we have to draw parallel with Avengers series then this final is like Avengers - Civil war. Spurs/United/Everton/City on one side and Liverpool/Arsenal/West ham/Chelsea?? on the other side :lol:

After witnessing 2 exhilarating semi finals, I am afraid the final would be cagey affair as both teams know each other very well. I would have been more confident of winning it had Ajax made it to final but with Spurs, I'd give Liverpool 60/40 chance. The reason I feel Liverpool are favorites due to their current form.

Spurs are an excellent team with excellent manager but their players look exhausted. I hope this doesnt come back to bite me but I do not think having Kane fit for the final would be good for Spurs. We have seen many times Kane was rushed back to team when he was clearly not fit and it does not help Spurs as players look at him as Messiah like barca players look at Messi. However, in his absence they play more of a unit and work much harder.

May the best team wins i.e Liverpool :D

Treble

if we have to draw parallel with Avengers series then this final is like Avengers - Civil war. Spurs/United/Everton/City on one side and Liverpool/Arsenal/West ham/Chelsea?? on the other side :lol:

After witnessing 2 exhilarating semi finals, I am afraid the final would be cagey affair as both teams know each other very well. I would have been more confident of winning it had Ajax made it to final but with Spurs, I'd give Liverpool 60/40 chance. The reason I feel Liverpool are favorites due to their current form.

Spurs are an excellent team with excellent manager but their players look exhausted. I hope this doesnt come back to bite me but I do not think having Kane fit for the final would be good for Spurs. We have seen many times Kane was rushed back to team when he was clearly not fit and it does not help Spurs as players look at him as Messiah like barca players look at Messi. However, in his absence they play more of a unit and work much harder.

May the best team wins i.e Liverpool :D
For one, the game is in 3 weeks. They won't be tired. For another, Spurs covered more distance last night than Liverpool managed in both games vs Barca. Your battle in the EPL is more lkiely to have you exhausted: both physically and mentally.

Stocar

Spurs are favourites for this game because they are not...favourites. No matter what happens they are heroes to reach the CL final.
This is the important point. Both these teams thrive in the underdog role. Liverpool have looked better when chasing City in the league, and nervous when they had significant points advantage. These teams are almost the same: physical, aggresive, well organized sides that are great at gaining advantage of momentum. Liverpool have a bit more quality and have been more consistent this year, but there's a chance they'll not be comfortable in the favourite role here. It's also important how the last two games between them panned out: Liverpool were fortunate to get away with two wins, and you wouldn't expect anyone to beat this Spurs side three times in a row. City also know this. Many psychological factors are in favour of Spurs here, and I'd say it's 50/50.

Revan

Assumptionman
I'll take reading @GlastonSpur 1000 posts bragging how Spurs are the greatest and have the greatest stadium, owner, manager, players, fans and tealady if it means that they deny the title to Liverpool.

Come on Spurs, I always liked you! :drool:

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
It's almost sad that a half fit Kane lacking match sharpness is probably better than any options we have up front on current form.

I agree Liverpool victory as I feel they are just better all round with fewer weaknesses, I dont feel it will be routine however. But that is what comes from investing in your squad, Klopp has been handsomely backed by his club. Pochettino is scraping by with peanuts and playing Rose out of position in midfield in some games along with some 18 y/o academy youngster because he simply doesnt have anyone else.

Spurs have enough firepower up top to hurt anyone, they can deploy a very physical midfield with Sissoko and Dier/Wanyama. Have invention and creativity from Alli and Eriksen, and a solid defense with Alderweireld - Vertonghen duo.

Having said all that I dont think it is even a debate who 99% of caf will be supporting. Who actually wants Liverpool to win other than Liverpool fans?
Arsenal fans will be firmly behind Liverpool

A-boateng

I think this will be the lowest watched CL final in a while outside of the UK.

Obviously Liverpool have history but Spurs? Teams like Bayern, Barcelona, Juventus are teams that have huge world wide fanbase and history that people tune in to watch.

It’s also quite interesting that both teams struggled to get out their group and both teams made the final.

Last edited by a moderator:

LFCKop

Supports
Liverpool
For one, the game is in 3 weeks. They won't be tired. For another, Spurs covered more distance last night than Liverpool managed in both games vs Barca. Your battle in the EPL is more lkiely to have you exhausted: both physically and mentally.
which means they are more exhausted. Do remember many spurs player having a really long season due to their involvement in world cup. You can clearly see that it has affected their form in the second half of the season. Generally they are very strong in second half but not this season. Also I am not sure if Poch would risk fielding a reserve team for the final PL game against Everton so both Liverpool and Spurs would have equal amount of time to rest for the final.

It is a one off game and anything could happen. As I said Liverpool are slightly favorites for the first time in Champions League era final.

Josh 76

Buying squad players is not as easy as buying players to come straight into the first team. Your back 5 and front 3 are not getting replaced. Keita, ox, Wynaldham, Fabinino, Henderson fighting for 3 places. Not sure what Klopp is actually going to actually do In the transfer market.

PGLFC91

Supports
Liverpool
Wishful thinking.

Part of your success against Barca the other day was that the game was a free hit. You had nothing to lose. It will be the same with Spurs in the final. They have nothing to lose. Liverpool, on the other hand...
You can live in hope lads!

But this Liverpool team will have learnt from last years final. The build up, the preparation, the limelight and will take it all in their stride.

We are not losing two in a row. Wait and see!

grahamo

Get Harry kane into 24/7 cryotherapy, hydrotherapy whatever therapy gets him fit. He's the only Spurs player Liverpool are afraid of. Having said that I grudgingly think liverpool are a class above Spurs and should win it.

Hellboy

Can't see Spurs winning this because you just got the feeling that reaching the final meant so much already. Alderweireld mentioned something about playing well when not under pressure in the second half, and Rose said that Poch doesn't mind losing when playing the right way. It speaks volume ... hoping that they prove me wrong but can't see anything other than a LFC win especially after their final loss last year.

Bulldog United

But this Liverpool team will have learnt from last years final. The build up, the preparation, the limelight and will take it all in their stride.

Will Klopp have learnt anything? He keeps losing final after final after final....

I believe Tottenham will win.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

Yeah Klopp wouldn't lose 2 finals in a row, would he?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I think Liverpool would have much rather faced Ajax in the final than Spurs.

It's a neutral stadium, a one-off game, Kane will be back, the Spurs players have belief … we have a chance of lifting that trophy.