Champions League Final 2019 | Spurs v Liverpool (1st June)

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
It is 50-50.

Forget the league campaign and previous matches as this is a one off match. Out of all the managers, Pochettino has always given Klopp serious problems in the past especially the second half of the Anfield game. He makes small tactical changes that gives Spurs big advantages and Klopp usually takes a long time to make adjustments. The two games were really close this season and could have gone either way (the penalty not given after foul on Son in the first game and the clanger from Lloris in the second game). I just feel it will be a tense, close game where one goal might separate the two teams.
Agreed. Arguably the worst defeat in Klopps tenure was the 4-1 thrashing at Wembley last season.

For Spurs and Pochettino this is a free hit. Nobody expected them to win this after not signing a single player in the last 12 months, but the pressure really is on Liverpool. Finishing second to Man City is one thing, but second to Spurs would be seen as a big failure. The result of this match could have really bad repercussions for Liverpool next season if they lose.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Though I agree that finishing second to Spurs would be seen as a big failure (absolutely no one finishes second to Spurs except Spurs) I'm not sure how you think this will affect us for next season.

More than likely Klopp will get to 90+points again, finishing behind City again and reach his third CL final in a row losing to whomever else gets there next season. He might be a loser but he keeps his finishes and positions consistent.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
I think Liverpool will find it hard to match this season's league campaign. City have the luxury of having 2 good players in every postion, whereas most of Liverpool's second string are mid table level.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Though I agree that finishing second to Spurs would be seen as a big failure (absolutely no one finishes second to Spurs except Spurs) I'm not sure how you think this will affect us for next season.

More than likely Klopp will get to 90+points again, finishing behind City again and reach his third CL final in a row losing to whomever else gets there next season. He might be a loser but he keeps his finishes and positions consistent.
I mean...you've finished 2nd to Spurs (or even further behind) for 8 of the last 10 seasons...:D

https://www.football.london/tottenh...ampions-league-final-spurs-liverpool-16269885

Despite being the designated 'away' team for the final, Liverpool are to experience the facilities in which Atletico have become accustomed to over the past couple of seasons and this is because of security reasons as explained below.

"Before we took our decision, we made an evaluation between the away fans, the Spanish police and the city of Madrid," Wanda Metropolitano Stadium manager Fernado Fariza told Sky Sports News.

"We took into account the number of fans of both of the finalists, the metro lines and the fan meeting points in the city.

"Taking into account all these issues, the final decision was that Liverpool fans should arrive at the south stand and they will have all their tickets in the south stand.

"On the other hand, Tottenham supporters will arrive at the north stand and they will have all their tickets in the north stand."
Ah of course....classic. :rolleyes:

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
1st of June. Feck off UEFA. The season has already ended.

Do you think this long wait will benefit any of the clubs? They might have lost their competitive edge by then.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Do you think this long wait will benefit any of the clubs? They might have lost their competitive edge by then.
How is that UEFA's fault? PL/FA could have prolonged the season with a further week instead of having several midweek rounds. All other big leagues still have a week remaining.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
How is that UEFA's fault? PL/FA could have prolonged the season with a further week instead of having several midweek rounds. All other big leagues still have a week remaining.
Two weeks for the Serie A, so it was literally the earliest possible date yeah.

Even then, it's a chance for both teams to get healthy again and get some rest, I don't mind it. In games like this you want both teams at their competitive best with as much players available as possible.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Will be very difficult mentally for both clubs and maybe also in terms of conditioning.

The major positive for us is that all of Winks, Kane and Aurier should be back and Vertonghen should be back too.

Probably all of Winks, Kane and Aurier would be in the starting line up at best but it would be super risky to throw all 3 into a first competitive match for months. But even having them on the bench would be huge imo.

MagicKarpet

Supports
Tottenham
Will be very difficult mentally for both clubs and maybe also in terms of conditioning.

The major positive for us is that all of Winks, Kane and Aurier should be back and Vertonghen should be back too.

Probably all of Winks, Kane and Aurier would be in the starting line up at best but it would be super risky to throw all 3 into a first competitive match for months. But even having them on the bench would be huge imo.
We never play well after an extended break, spoke to a Liverpool supporter and he said the same of them as well. :D

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
We never play well after an extended break, spoke to a Liverpool supporter and he said the same of them as well. :D
That's true but I don't think this season has been a typical Poch one for us. I think our players are exhausted and have barely limped over the line. Will hopefully be good to have a little bit of a break and get some players back. I wonder whether both teams may arrange a couple of behind the scenes friendlies as well.

Also gives the Liverpool players 3 weeks to ruminate over their unbelievable domestic season without a league title. :D

Cold Fusion

Supports
Liverpool
It's going to be a tight match I believe. League form is out of the window for this fixture. I think having been to the final and lost last year will benefit Liverpool. I'd imagine getting to their first CL final may weight heavily on the Spur's players shoulders, wanting to do well for Poch and their fans. This gives Liverpool a slight advantage.

Joe Cool

Supports
Chelsea
More than likely Klopp will get to 90+points again
Something I keep reading lately. What a massive bs. Nothing has changed this season, I mean again you keep hearing one excuse after another on why Liverpool did not win, why City's season was an anomaly, what if one of those 14 wins on the trot was a draw, what if, what if blah blah.

What makes you think Liverpool's season was not an anomaly as well? Seems to me the general consensous among all my Liverpool friends and those on social media is that next year you lot are going to win it because somehow City are not going to repeat this 'abnormal' season, but you lot are. Ha ha, give me a break then.

If you think Liverpool's going to put the same numbers next season, or even improve on this season, then you lot must be delusional and it hurts to say it as I hate Spurs with a fecking passion, but Liverpool missing on yet another trophy in Madrid would be glorious. You lot say it is the journey that matters, ha fecking ha, in five years time they will all remember City winning this campaign not your 90 something points.

Supports
England
Agreed. Arguably the worst defeat in Klopps tenure was the 4-1 thrashing at Wembley last season.

For Spurs and Pochettino this is a free hit. Nobody expected them to win this after not signing a single player in the last 12 months, but the pressure really is on Liverpool. Finishing second to Man City is one thing, but second to Spurs would be seen as a big failure. The result of this match could have really bad repercussions for Liverpool next season if they lose.
That match is one of many reasons Kane has to start for Spurs if fit. He's the only Spurs player who consistently evokes a real fear factor amongst the other PL teams.

I agree about not starting all three. I think Aurier has to start because Trippier has been an absolute sieve this season. He's not a title-winning full back, even if the title is the League Cup.

Winks sits IMO. Sissoko and Dier are an established pair at this point. They're not the best - especially Dier who has regressed almost as much as Sissoko has progressed - but neither is Winks. Winks is an unknown quantity coming back from such a long injury spell and he's only ever been good with big potential when fit. Frankly, right now with both players fit and in decent form, Kane could probably play Winks' role better than Winks, if you wanted to play Kane outside CF for some reason.

Kane has to play, not least for the reason above wrt Liverpool. Stick Son beyond him and put him in Llorente's role if needed. This season, Kane has shown that he can do a job in almost any forward position, making him probably technically the best footballer Spurs have. (Another big reason he has to play)

Last edited:

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
This is most certainly the case with us. After getting knocked out of the FA Cup by Wolves in the 3rd round we had a free weekend when the next round of FA Cup games were played. So Klopp took the players away for some 'warm-weather training'. We drew our next 2 games 1-1, home to Leicester & away to West Ham. We were very poor in both matches.

Lets just hope you're shittier than us on the day ;)

Josh 76

It's going to be a tight match I believe. League form is out of the window for this fixture. I think having been to the final and lost last year will benefit Liverpool. I'd imagine getting to their first CL final may weight heavily on the Spur's players shoulders, wanting to do well for Poch and their fans. This gives Liverpool a slight advantage.
Most of the spurs players played in the World Cup semi finals. Don't really think they will freeze.

ultrasVSultras

Supports
Boca Juniors
If Liverpool is playing gegenpressing in the final, he will lose final

CognitiveNeuro

Damir Skomina is the referee for the final.

Liverpool have a record of 1 win and 4 losses with him as a referee. He was the one that gave the weird handball against Klavan in the last minute against Roma.
Spurs have a record of 2 draws and 1 loss with him as a referee

and Man Utd has won all their games with him as a referee. He was in the PSG game.

He seems like a United fan :lol:

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Something I keep reading lately. What a massive bs. Nothing has changed this season, I mean again you keep hearing one excuse after another on why Liverpool did not win, why City's season was an anomaly, what if one of those 14 wins on the trot was a draw, what if, what if blah blah.

What makes you think Liverpool's season was not an anomaly as well? Seems to me the general consensous among all my Liverpool friends and those on social media is that next year you lot are going to win it because somehow City are not going to repeat this 'abnormal' season, but you lot are. Ha ha, give me a break then.

If you think Liverpool's going to put the same numbers next season, or even improve on this season, then you lot must be delusional and it hurts to say it as I hate Spurs with a fecking passion, but Liverpool missing on yet another trophy in Madrid would be glorious. You lot say it is the journey that matters, ha fecking ha, in five years time they will all remember City winning this campaign not your 90 something points.
Wow. I'm glad to have helped you get that off your chest. Better out than in.

Yes I'm looking at 90 odd points next season. Klopp isn't going anywhere, he will improve that vanilla midfield (the sole cause of our meaningless draws this season) and cover for our forwards in case of injuries. Timo Warner is strongly linked. There are other candidates.

Our CL final last season was a one off fluke. Until we got there again this season. :houllier:

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I’m not sure about that as one could argue that the chance of losing two finals in a row weighs heavier on the Liverpool player’s shoulders.

Hoof the ball

It should be argued that Liverpool's energy usually out-does the opposition in terms of 2nd balls won and pressing. What happens when you come up against the one team who is arguably just as well drilled in the above, in Spurs?

One problem Spurs won't have is matching them legs for legs in terms of energy and stamina.

MUFC OK

3-1 Liverpool. The much better team. Praying for a spurs victory though.

LFCKop

Supports
Liverpool
Poch will start with some weird formation and Liverpool will take advantage of it and dominate 1st half. Then at half time Poch will correct his mistake and Spurs would dominate the second half. So whoever takes advantage of their dominance period and score more goals would take the trophy. :wenger:

Supports
England
It should be argued that Liverpool's energy usually out-does the opposition in terms of 2nd balls won and pressing. What happens when you come up against the one team who is arguably just as well drilled in the above, in Spurs?

One problem Spurs won't have is matching them legs for legs in terms of energy and stamina.
Part of the problem for Spurs this season is that they haven't actually been doing the high press anywhere near as effectively as they were when the team really broke out under Poch.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Damir Skomina is the referee for the final.

Liverpool have a record of 1 win and 4 losses with him as a referee. He was the one that gave the weird handball against Klavan in the last minute against Roma.
Spurs have a record of 2 draws and 1 loss with him as a referee

and Man Utd has won all their games with him as a referee. He was in the PSG game.

He seems like a United fan :lol:
So...United are going to win the CL final?

CognitiveNeuro

So...United are going to win the CL final?
Nah dude, I kinda support Liverpool but it's so weird to see Liverpool with awful and dodgy results (that handball) under him and United would great results. Sure it's coincidence though.

Out of all the managers I feel Klopp struggles the most against Pochettino and his teams for some reason. The games this season could have gone either way and Spurs are going into this final with basically no pressure. Klopp already has a horrible record in finals and they are now favorites with the added pressure of finishing this great season trophyless.

I just have this sneaky feeling that Spurs are gonna come out on top with some last minute winner or something. Hope it doesn't happen though.

Last edited:

Yakuza_devils

Liverpool supporters are getting very arrogant just being 2nd in the league. And think that they will repeat the form next season easily and it's being very annoying.

Imagine if they won the CL, they will spout nonsense non stop that they will retain the title next year bla bla bla. I will be for sure rooting for Spurs in the final.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Really thought it would've been Kuipers. He's been the standout ref in the CL for me.

Joe Cool

Supports
Chelsea
Wow. I'm glad to have helped you get that off your chest. Better out than in.

Yes I'm looking at 90 odd points next season. Klopp isn't going anywhere, he will improve that vanilla midfield (the sole cause of our meaningless draws this season) and cover for our forwards in case of injuries. Timo Warner is strongly linked. There are other candidates.

Our CL final last season was a one off fluke. Until we got there again this season. :houllier:
If you go back to my comments I made in the Liverpool topic at the start of the season I said City and them are nailed on to fight for the league title until the very last rounds because their process as a team is similar and they can only improve on their respective seasons (17/18). After three seasons with Klopp in charge of course the next step was the league title which you lot fight for util the end.

But my point is the bar is now set to high to say Ok next season City might lose one game and draw another hence we're going to surpass them by a few points this time. Does not work like that, City had a monster season, but so did Liverpool, football works in cycles you can't expect Liverpool to hit the 90 point barrier for the next 20 seasons just because now you look good. And I admit it, Liverpool do look very, very solid. But seasons like this one that has just ended are not usual stuff.

You see the gap between the top 2 and the others - City and Liverpool were in a league of their own, Don't think it is going to happen again very soon, but that's just my view. Others must improve and they will I think.

And in order for Liverpool to improve and improve and improve this lot MUST win the CL Final. I see people saying Ok cool they go again next season if it is not going to happen this season. Well mate does not work like this believe me, pro athletes are not robots, they have feelings too and to fight for the two biggest trophies until the very last two matches of the season and end up with none, believe me mate takes its toll big big time, I would be fecking destroyed, you too, believe they will be too if it is to happen.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
More than likely Klopp will get to 90+points again
Liverpool had the xG of an 83 point team this season, much like United last season you grossly overachieved your expected results and will likely regress towards the mean next season. City also overachieved (xG of a 90 point team), but not nearly as much as Liverpool did. In fact, Liverpool outperformed their underlying stats more than any other team in the PL this season (again, much like United last season).

It's much, much more likely that Liverpool fails to crack 85 points next season than they go over 90 again. Very, very few teams (this City team in back to back seasons, basically) ever put together a season that gets 90+ points without also outperforming their underlying stats and doing that two seasons in a row to the extent Liverpool would need to is extremely unlikely.

BlueHaze

Liverpool supporters are getting very arrogant just being 2nd in the league. And think that they will repeat the form next season easily and it's being very annoying.

Imagine if they won the CL, they will spout nonsense non stop that they will retain the title next year bla bla bla. I will be for sure rooting for Spurs in the final.
The feckers will win. It's going to be unbearable. The media arse kissing will go on for years.

Cold Fusion

Supports
Liverpool
I’m not sure about that as one could argue that the chance of losing two finals in a row weighs heavier on the Liverpool player’s shoulders.
i think the experience of going to the final last year should at least breed some familiarity with it. This is all new to Spurs. It's only for that reason I think Liverpool have a slight advantage. That said I fully appreciate your view on this though.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool had the xG of an 83 point team this season, much like United last season you grossly overachieved your expected results and will likely regress towards the mean next season. City also overachieved (xG of a 90 point team), but not nearly as much as Liverpool did. In fact, Liverpool outperformed their underlying stats more than any other team in the PL this season (again, much like United last season).

It's much, much more likely that Liverpool fails to crack 85 points next season than they go over 90 again. Very, very few teams (this City team in back to back seasons, basically) ever put together a season that gets 90+ points without also outperforming their underlying stats and doing that two seasons in a row to the extent Liverpool would need to is extremely unlikely.
One question for you? How many points will City get next season in your humble opinion?

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
One question for you? How many points will City get next season in your humble opinion?
Probably around 90. They have consistently outperformed their underlying stats by about 10%, so maybe up to 95 ... but a drop back from the 100 point range would be likely. There's nothing really flukey to their last 2 titles. They have been monstrously good in all areas and there's no reason they will fall off too dramatically baring a severe injury crisis.

My guess is that they get 93 points and win the title by 8-10 points over whoever is second.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.

What happens to the underlying stats if Klopp makes 3 or 4 top class signings in the summer, & keeps hold of all his key players for next season ?

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What happens to the underlying stats if Klopp makes 3 or 4 top class signings in the summer, & keeps hold of all his key players for next season ?
Then maybe Liverpool improves even more. The thing is, 83 point xG season is insanely good already. No PL team other than City has even broken 80 in the past 5 seasons.

City though ... they have had 85 in 16/17, 91 in 17/18 and then 90 in 18/19. They are just unbelievably good, the best domestic team the PL has ever seen and they show no signs of slowing down. I don't know if Liverpool or anyone else can reach that level, and that's not in any way an indictment of Liverpool who have clearly built a fantastic team. It's just City is ludicrous.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'd imagine City will do the same and they will remain the best team in the league.

Josh 76

Klopp signing a CD. "You can sign for Liverpool but VVD and Gomez are my first choice"
Klopp signing a full back. "You can come, but TAA and Robertson are my first choice"
Klopp signing a forward. " You will play only when I rest Mane, Frimino and Salah"
Klopp signing a CM "i have 6 already, so hopefully I can give you a game in the FA cup"
Not easy signing squad players!

MysticRed

Supports
Liverpool
I live in London. It’s going to be hell if spurs win. Will need to avoid the free evening standard for about a year if not more! With spurs splash everywhere. I think fans of other London clubs will feel the same. The evening standard is the only thing that keeps my tube commute to work bearable.

I might have to crawl in a hole if spurs win. And then there is Jermaine jenas. Argh!!!

If there is one game to win this season it this one!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I live in London. It’s going to be hell if spurs win. Will need to avoid the free evening standard for about a year if not more! With spurs splash everywhere. I think fans of other London clubs will feel the same. The evening standard is the only thing that keeps my tube commute to work bearable.

I might have to crawl in a hole if spurs win. And then there is Jermaine jenas. Argh!!!

If there is one game to win this season it this one!
I think anyone reading this will say the same about Liverpool fans. You must have noticed the massive sea of opposition to you winning it arising to unite the country?
And that's over a billionaire oil team who have "arguably" stolen their way to the top!

The 3rd biggest team in London winning a one off cup final won't register on anyone but the most bitter Arsenal fan's mind!
They won't do it anyway, even with Klopp having the worst final record of any manager ever.

It's Tottenham!