Champions League Final 2019 | Spurs v Liverpool (1st June)

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Commiserations to you; I also feel really bad for Son, it'd have been nice for him to get a winner's medal (he's such a likeable guy).

I do think Kane was really out of it. Shouldn't have started in the first place. Moura would've caused us a lot more problems, I think.
Thanks, I'd congratulate you and the other Liverpool fans on here but I might get shot down :D.

Meh, I think this'll get overplayed a bit. Kane was quiet but the service in to him was terrible, when he did get the ball I actually thought he was one of our players who showed the most composure (albeit it was very rare).

Either way I think we lose, you don't win finals when a player gives the opponent a headstart 1 minute in with a moment of stupidity and when you can't clear a simple corner. Silly errors.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
You're better without Kane. You're probably gonna disagree, and I'm sure you pay way more attention than I do to Spurs. Whenever I watch you I feel like he slows you down. Have a free flowing front 4 of Lucas, Son, Eriksen & Alli and I think you look much better.

Starting Winks was a baffling move to. Biggest game in your history and you start 2 players who have missed months with injuries. Poor game from Poch. Wanyama and Lucas should have started.
This is nonsense. Anyone who has watched Spurs for a good while would know this.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
This is nonsense. Anyone who has watched Spurs for a good while would know this.
Kane is being massively scapegoated for this game as well, when other attackers were as bad/worse, and its purely because he was a controversial selection choice.

Nobody in our attack performed, Son at least tried things but nothing came off. It's not a Harry Kane thing.

I don't know what Harry Kane is supposed to do when he doesn't receive one decent pass for 90 minutes as a striker. He's not a god, had that one chance came to him maybe it's a completely different story but it didn't because we were utterly devoid of invention in the final third. On a couple of occasions where he did receive the ball he actually looked alright and won a couple of free kicks in dangerous areas, but when your out and out striker is completely starved of the ball, what do people expect him to do?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
All Barca had to do was not bottle a fecking 3-goal lead twice in a row. Jesus.

Roy'sMagicHat

I feel for fellow United fans who have no big sporting events to help get this out of their system. I’m in Ireland and on my way to a huge hurling game. If my team wins, I’m not going to give a toss about the bin dippers. That said if my team loses, I’ll be gutted beyond repair!

a123

Supports
Liverpool
I know Oxlade-Chamberlain has done well to come back from injury but he went straight into the Terry books of full kit wankerism last night.
Given that hes on the bench, he kind of needs to wear a full kit.

Hughie77

Best thing about the game was the streaker.

Spurs better footballing side, pool all season won games they shouldn't, iether through good fortune or good play when needed.
Pools midfield awful, Salah poor, Firmino say no more shouldn't have started. Pools full backs pulled there useless midfield out of the mire, winks best player on pitch till he came off.

Pool keeper and there defence won them the game, along with spurs poor finishing in final 3rd.

Kane gamble that didn't pay off, but did ok, still don't know why no yellow when he was fouled ?

There we are another couple of days don't read a paper avoid social media news the bus be out , hope it pisses down lightning thunder, hurricane, tsunami off the Mersey drown the feckers

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Kane was far from match-fit, starting him was a very stupid decision by Poch. Lucas would have given Spurs a lot more punch. Of late, Kane's only use has been taking penalties. He has become so off-form and injury-prone his value will soon hit an all-time low. Even a desperately rebuilding Real Madrid are not interested in him.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
That was a pretty shit game. None of the teams played anywhere near what they've shown earlier in the season. I blame the three weeks since the end of PL. The FA must plan better in future.

We were equally shit imo, but Tottenham made it too hard for themselves with the stupid penalty. None if us had the qualities going forward, but the difference was, that we didn't have to go forward.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
That was a pretty shit game. None of the teams played anywhere near what they've shown earlier in the season. I blame the three weeks since the end of PL. The FA must plan better in future.

We were equally shit imo, but Tottenham made it too hard for themselves with the stupid penalty. None if us had the qualities going forward, but the difference was, that we didn't have to go forward.
It does feel odd league finished on 11th may when all other leagues finished on 18th or later. Could've easily played FA cup final on 25th may and then it's a much shorter gap.

Not sure what FA thinking is considering premier league barely started a month after WC final aswell. Players at top level have been playing for nearly a year now without a great break.

doriandun

Funny how Poch, got out Mourinho'd by Klopp, concede possession and rely on set-pieces, long balls and actually defending, plus the odd counter attacks. without doubt the best manager currently about, in relation to return on investment, he has really grown up over the last year.

Poch made a mistake on Kane, and WInks, should of played Dier, as the destroyer, Sissoko offering the movement and Erikssen as the creative force, or central attacking midfield behind Llorente and Son and Moura occupying the remaining posisitions.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Anybody concerned how Liverpool will go on to build something good now? on the back of winning the CL they will be more confident going into next year. They have a good team already and one of the best managers in world football.

Doesn't really bode well for United at all, 6 years and nowhere close a title, its awful.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'd rather eat shit than watch this.

Let's be honest, after that Barca result it was always going to be this way. Just grateful they never did the double.

In fact, blame Barca twice! They are the ones who for some insane reason give them all that money for Coutinho.
Fecking Barca not only sponsored Liverpool's win, they bottled it against them too. :lol:

bonothom

Pathetic Tottenham performance. They'll never win anything. United have been shit for 6 years but have still managed to win 3 trophies. This Tottenham team in that same 6 years have apparently been brilliant and won nothing.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Anybody concerned how Liverpool will go on to build something good now? on the back of winning the CL they will be more confident going into next year. They have a good team already and one of the best managers in world football.

Doesn't really bode well for United at all, 6 years and nowhere close a title, its awful.
Depends what happens in this window, if Salah and maybe Mane leaves then it's another rebuild job. But I don't think that will happen, I think they'll all stay. The concern is they have finally found a very strong back five, that's been their weakness for probably close to a decade. Right now it seems to me that they could do with improving their midfield but I don't actually think they need to improve their squad too much.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Depends what happens in this window, if Salah and maybe Mane leaves then it's another rebuild job. But I don't think that will happen, I think they'll all stay. The concern is they have finally found a very strong back five, that's been their weakness for probably close to a decade. Right now it seems to me that they could do with improving their midfield but I don't actually think they need to improve their squad too much.
They aren't far off, and they need squad players honestly, it's where city really are beyond them currently.

It really worries me the current state of United, because the finances of the club and the fan base will shift quick in the coming generation of kids growing up if they aren't careful.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
No way that was a penalty, the only way for it not to hit his arm/hand was if he had no arm at all. Calling a penalty when the ball hits your body first and deflects onto the arm is a very bad call but I guess you can't win the CL without getting some luck it's part of football

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Karma, you did the right thing. I forgive you now.
Man i told you before, everything that happened to you between istanbul and yesterday was karma. Istanbul was such an historical fluke it took 14 years, 2 bad CL final losses, two crushing failed title bids and a decade of mediocrity to balance it out :D

The good news is your karma is now officially even, which means...next year might finally be your year in the league :D

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
It does feel odd league finished on 11th may when all other leagues finished on 18th or later. Could've easily played FA cup final on 25th may and then it's a much shorter gap.

Not sure what FA thinking is considering premier league barely started a month after WC final aswell. Players at top level have been playing for nearly a year now without a great break.
It doesn't make sense at all. We're the only league without a break in the winter, and we're the only league with two cup competitions as well, and still we finished a week or two earlier than the rest of the top leagues.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
About 15-20 miles from Liverpool.
I live in a village about 9 miles north of Portsmouth in Hampshire. Some Cnut in the next road to me, who used to have a Liverpool flag on a 20ft pole in his front garden until he was ordered to take it down, had a full 20 minute set of fireworks last night about 30 minutes after the game finished

I kept hoping he’d accidentally set his car on fire the fecking bell end.

That’s why they are so hated by fans of other teams. He must have spent £200 on those fireworks... in advance of the final.... not even knowing they would win. Either that or they were on ice from last year.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Look at your 5 year net spend.

https://www.transferleague.co.uk/pr...tables/premier-league-table-last-five-seasons

Second biggest spending club in the EPL. No reason why you can’t compete at the top.
One thing it does suggest is other clubs are better at getting decent prices for purchases AND sales.... which obviously combine to make our net spending look worse than it perhaps could have been.

We get fleeced on the way in - Fellaini, Lukaku, Matic (imo) - and are poor at getting rid at the right time/right price.

Also, a Coutinho style sale helps the figures. (1 out, 2 in).

Skills

Snitch
One thing it does suggest is other clubs are better at getting decent prices for purchases AND sales.... which obviously combine to make our net spending look worse than it perhaps could have been.

We get fleeced on the way in - Fellaini, Lukaku, Matic (imo) - and are poor at getting rid at the right time/right price.

Also, a Coutinho style sale helps the figures. (1 out, 2 in).
It would help if the clubs own managers aren't actively trying to diminish their own players values. And the fan base is egging them on to do it. Then you have no right to complain about why we don't get any money when we do sell.

AFC NimbleThumb

Are people still seriously analysing a great night for our fiercest rivals!? Seriously have a word with yourselves.

I watched a United side with Ronaldo dominate domestically & in Europe & I can’t remember any of my oppo mates spending days talking about how great we were or how much they wanted to emulate us.

Liverpool have won 2 trophies in 12/13 seasons! 2! They have done well to amass great talent & deserved to win the competition but they have done nothing I haven’t seen them do before - Djimi Traore says hello.

Liverpool may go on to win the league etc. but I thought I was joing a Manchester United forum - What is going on here!?

Their fans will do more than enough crowing & Sky[LFC]TV will be infuriating enough to watch without continuing to torture yourselves.

If this is what RAWK was like in our hay day then these are going to be dark days.

We aren’t any good but building up our rivals as something more extraordinary than the greatness we watched for years will only torture yourselves further. Look at the facts, we are rubbish but still win more games than we lose.

I’m huge on striving for bigger & better, thoroughly believing we as a fanbase deserve more but come on people - stay the course, it’ll make the comeback so much better.

We’ve rejoiced Liverpool for 24 hours, time to move on.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
It hasn’t fully sunk in yet but I’m so happy that Klopp finally has a trophy in the cabinet.

I thought we were awful yesterday. After Salah converted the penalty we spent most of the game defending with a back four and three midfielders in a low block ahead of them. Our attacking play seemed to consist of trying to bypass the midfield and hoping that one of the front three would make something happen (midfield creativity is something that needs to be addressed in the summer). Individually I thought Matip, Van Dijk & Allison had good games (although the latter was hit & miss with his distribution). Everyone else was fairly below par but Mane had some nice moments. Firmino wasn’t fit and if Origi didn’t score the second then his performance was 3/10 at best.

Thing is that I’m kind of glad we won a final like that. There’s been a pattern under Klopp (and Rodgers) that we can’t win big games if we’re playing badly. This was a big game and we played terribly, but we found a way to deliver. I’m hoping that the taste of silverware drives this squad forward.

On Spurs I thought they were fairly toothless in the first half but Pochettino made a change and they largely dominated in the second. They were far more composed on the ball throughout the game than we were but I think some poor individual performances let them down. None of their front four were particularly great and Kane didn’t look fit enough (like Firmino). They were doing the right things to bypass our press but didn’t have the ruthlessness needed in the final third. Allison made some saves but none were in the world class bracket. The switch of play they were doing to Trippier/Rose was definitely the right thing to do but after that they seemed uncertain in and around Allison’s goal. The second goal killed their momentum.

They’re not far off under Pochettino. If he’s allowed to invest then I think they’re capable of delivering some silverware soon.

I thought this video was a good tactical analysis of the game:

I hope Klopp’s allowed to invest again in the summer. City are going to spend and our squad is still behind them. We need someone creative in midfield who can link the front three and allow better build up through the lines. We’re too over reliant on long balls when a team manages to block off the channels. A CB to replace Lovren and another goal scoring option are two other signings I’d make, and we need a back up LB to cover Robertson. Other than that I think we’re in pretty good shape.

Finally I have a use for my six fingered hand (that’s a joke).

Fts 74

Are people still seriously analysing a great night for our fiercest rivals!? Seriously have a word with yourselves.

I watched a United side with Ronaldo dominate domestically & in Europe & I can’t remember any of my oppo mates spending days talking about how great we were or how much they wanted to emulate us.

Liverpool have won 2 trophies in 12/13 seasons! 2! They have done well to amass great talent & deserved to win the competition but they have done nothing I haven’t seen them do before - Djimi Traore says hello.

Liverpool may go on to win the league etc. but I thought I was joing a Manchester United forum - What is going on here!?

Their fans will do more than enough crowing & Sky[LFC]TV will be infuriating enough to watch without continuing to torture yourselves.

If this is what RAWK was like in our hay day then these are going to be dark days.

We aren’t any good but building up our rivals as something more extraordinary than the greatness we watched for years will only torture yourselves further. Look at the facts, we are rubbish but still win more games than we lose.

I’m huge on striving for bigger & better, thoroughly believing we as a fanbase deserve more but come on people - stay the course, it’ll make the comeback so much better.

Spot on.

Everyone fearing Liverpool domination needs to calm down a bit IMO

Yes,they've been very good this season,no denying that but it doesn't suddenly mean they are gonna go and dominate for the foreseeable.

As much as it pains me at the moment, seeing them win the CL and city doing the domestic treble, if we can get our act together we could be back challenging within a couple of years(big if of course,but if the scousers have done it why cant we}

just avoid the media as much as you can for the next few weeks, pretend it didn't happen even thats what im gonna do.

We will be back, of course we don't know when but we will, and by God am I gonna enjoy it when it happens.

El Zoido

Fair post but I don’t think next season will be any better. In fact I think Liverpool will win the league next season. The frustration is that Liverpool are still in the ascendency whereas we’re going backwards. I’m miserable after this season but I really do think next year is going to be even worse.