Champions League Final: Liverpool v Real Madrid | Hala Madrid!

Who do you think will win the Champions League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
As Ancelotti said, the final was easier for us, than some of the previous games.

Clearly Pool didn't deserve to be in the final, City (and even Chelsea) were more tricky.

Though if Casemiro had been available in the first game against City, that one wouldn't have become as complicated.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
As Ancelotti said, the final was easier for us, than some of the previous games.

Clearly Pool didn't deserve to be in the final, City (and even Chelsea) were more tricky.

Though if Casemiro had been available in the first game against City, that one wouldn't have become as complicated.
It was too easy a final for you sadly. I have started seeing a common theme this season of us pissing our pants in big finals. Maybe it was just fatigue after a 64 game season, despite our squad size and lack of injuries.

We weren't great in the finals we won either. Saying that Madrid can't use 11 men behind the ball as tactics against City/Chelsea next season. Or they will be known as Atletico Real Madrid.

redcucumber

It was too easy a final for you sadly. I have started seeing a common theme this season of us pissing our pants in big finals. Maybe it was just fatigue after a 64 game season, despite our squad size and lack of injuries.

We weren't great in the finals we won either. Saying that Madrid can't use 11 men behind the ball as tactics against City/Chelsea next season. Or they will be known as Atletico Real Madrid.
They didn't resemble anything like Atlético Madrid in the CL final. Madrid's midfield looked in relative control and aside from Mané's snap shot from outside the box and the Salah chance from a long ball over the top in the second, it was quite a straightforward final. Liverpool just weren't able to overcome a very wily Madrid side.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid

I read some analysis pointing out how Liverpool had better competitive rhythm and more fatigue while Madrid had less rhythm and more stamina. That, added to the characteristics of both teams played on Liverpool's favor in the first 20, 30 minutes but after that Real Madrid could put more elements on the table to balance things out.

Not the game I saw. Modric-Kroos are not the same players from years ago, but they had their fair share of possession and passing precision to disrupt Liverpool's game also when on the ball. Not Atletico's game.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Can't agree with that honestly. We needed Courtois to have the best game of his career to beat them, we didn't exactly do a great job of keeping them at bay. And we barely managed to attack them too. Aside from Tuchel serving chelsea up on a platter in the first half in London, i felt City were simultaneously the easiest and hardest opponents. The easiest to play through and attack, and the hardest to stop. And quite clearly the best team we faced all season

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I thought the final against Liverpool was easier than expected. Them dominating us early into the game was also expected and the plan was to hang on the first 20 or 30 minutes. Then if we could survive the first half, or even be losing by a difference of 1 goal we could still have some chances to comeback. So they didn't manage to score, their most dangerous play that was a shot from Mane stopped by a great save by Courtois.

I honestly thought they would be able to score 1 or 2 goals as we were conceding in every game and was hoping it would be just 1 or 2 goals. That didn't happen and then it felt Ancelotti was still expecting they could score so was content with the team just controlling them, Camavinga didn't even feature until pretty late in the 2nd half as we were still in the lead. So yeah, Liverpool was easier than PSG, Chelsea and Manchester City. Out of them perhaps I rate Chelsea the most dangerous team, but even PSG had Mbappe and Manchester City also created lots of good chances.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Can't agree with that honestly. We needed Courtois to have the best game of his career to beat them, we didn't exactly do a great job of keeping them at bay. And we barely managed to attack them too. Aside from Tuchel serving chelsea up on a platter in the first half in London, i felt City were simultaneously the easiest and hardest opponents. The easiest to play through and attack, and the hardest to stop. And quite clearly the best team we faced all season
Agree to disagree, they couldn't make 1v1s or clear cut chances, rather sending hopeful balls, or shooting from distance.

On the other hand our chances looked better, we had Karim's legit goal, or Casemiro's dumb sideways pass from the FK in a 2v1, or Ceballos going full Arsenal, and looking to pass the ball into the net in a 1v1.

Obviously Tibo had a great game too, but all in all it felt "safe", relatively speaking, and we're not a defensive juggernaut. They were neutralized for the most part, and their body language and post game comments showed this frustration for not being able to do their thing.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Agree to disagree, they couldn't make 1v1s or clear cut chances, rather sending hopeful balls, or shooting from distance.

On the other hand our chances looked better, we had Karim's legit goal, or Casemiro's dumb sideways pass from the FK in a 2v1, or Ceballos going full Arsenal, and looking to pass the ball into the net in a 1v1.

Obviously Tibo had a great game too, but all in all it felt "safe", relatively speaking, and we're not a defensive juggernaut. They were neutralized for the most part, and their body language and post game comments showed this frustration for not being able to do their thing.
I dunno, i mean yeah we mostly kept them to low quality chances, but they also had Salah 1vs1 with Courtois, Keita had essentially a moving penalty and a couple good chances from close range by Salah in the first half. Plus that ball across the goal with Salah at the far post. They were certainly easier to defend than PSG, Chelsea(who are just a horrible, horrible matchup for us) and especially City who have essentially solved football in attack, but they were also generally much harder to attack than PSG(the first leg was bad, but at this point i'm not sure how much of that came down to us just straight not playing well at all), and City - except when they went full defensive -

I just never want to play this Chelsea side again though :lol:

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
In terms of difficulty I’d say:

City > Chelsea > PSG > Liverpool

Then again tbf to Liverpool it was a 1off on neutral ground.

Also:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I dunno, i mean yeah we mostly kept them to low quality chances, but they also had Salah 1vs1 with Courtois, Keita had essentially a moving penalty and a couple good chances from close range by Salah in the first half. Plus that ball across the goal with Salah at the far post. They were certainly easier to defend than PSG, Chelsea(who are just a horrible, horrible matchup for us) and especially City who have essentially solved football in attack, but they were also generally much harder to attack than PSG(the first leg was bad, but at this point i'm not sure how much of that came down to us just straight not playing well at all), and City - except when they went full defensive -

I just never want to play this Chelsea side again though :lol:
Nah we need a third encounter next season to settle this once and for all

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid

Also:

The Hederson goal :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

Also:

This is the alternate reality The Athletic wankers warned us about.

RoyH1

Real Madrid asking for an investigation into the events in Paris.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I found these interesting graphs on Twitter.

First shows the probability each team had of winning the trophy depending on the round being played according to statistical model FiveThirtyEight

The second twit shows the probability Real Madrid of winning each final since 1998 and the accumulated probability of winning all of them.

Red the Bear

Something less generic

First shows the probability each team had of winning the trophy depending on the round being played according to statistical model FiveThirtyEight

The second twit shows the probability Real Madrid of winning each final since 1998 and the accumulated probability of winning all of them.

You guys definitely mugged Juventus back in 98, I think it was an offside goal as well :lol:

Anyway incredible what you lot have achieved, 8 ucls since 1998 is insane, even if you had a few decisions go your way here and there.

Incredible to think that you lot have won the same amount of ucls since as la liga titles.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You guys definitely mugged Juventus back in 98, I think it was an offside goal as well :lol:

Anyway incredible what you lot have achieved, 8 ucls since 1998 is insane, even if you had a few decisions go your way here and there.

Incredible to think that you lot have won the same amount of ucls since as la liga titles.
I have obviously great memories of seeing two UCL wins in my life time as a fan of United and they're special memories. But these feckers have won 8 in my life time :lol:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus

Look at our little sliver. Can't even fit our name on it.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I have obviously great memories of seeing two UCL wins in my life time as a fan of United and they're special memories. But these feckers have won 8 in my life time :lol:
Our time will come, fret not :lol:
Fun fact: we've won the league title 9 times since 1998 one more than Madrid , even though we haven't won it since 2013.

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
The Score settlers :D
The Quadrouplers :D
The Avengers :D

fecking bottlejobs hahaha.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Look at our little sliver. Can't even fit our name on it.
At least chances got better one week after the start.

Also, it calls my attention that there are five teams with no visible color in last 16 and one in last 8.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid

Well, human sacrifice pays off

Theonas

Scout
This Real Madrid side reminds a lot of our 2011 side. The remnants of the great 2008 team without the same Ronaldo, and spearhead by a talisman striker. We did not play well that season but our ability to come from behind and find a way to win time and time again was extraordinary and if it was not for that fantastic Barcelona side and I don't think this Real would have beaten them either, we could have won a very strange double. You have to give it to Real though for the calibre of teams they had to overcome, they should give them two trophies for that run.