Champions League Knockouts (12 Aug - 23rd Aug)

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Quarter-finals
Wednesday 12 August

Atalanta vs Paris Saint-Germain
(Estádio do Sport Lisboa e Benfica)

Thursday 13 August
Leipzig vs Atlético
(Estádio José Alvalade)

Friday 14 August
Barcelona vs Bayern München

Saturday 15 August
Manchester City vs Lyon
(Estádio José Alvalade)

Semi-finals
Tuesday 18 August

2. Leipzig/Atlético vs Atalanta/Paris Saint-Germain

Wednesday 19 August
1. Manchester City/Lyon vs Barcelona/Bayern München
(Estádio José Alvalade)

Final
Sunday 23 August

Winner semi-final 2 vs winner semi-final 1
(Estádio do Sport Lisboa e Benfica, Lisbon)

All 20:00 UK time kick-offs.

Last edited:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Barca v Bayern will be very tasty! Seems like obvious winners in the other ties but with 1 off games, who knows.

I'm guessing these will all be 8pm UK time.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Barcelona will get annihilated against Bayern.

Kearnkoff69

Bayern will win it this year, I just have a feeling. Not enough magic in Messi's boots anymore to drag a stale looking Barca team over the line this time.

Red Star One

I have some 50e on PSG to win it since September last year, easy way to a final... but Bayern seem to be a team to beat as of now. Such a shame we ain’t there

KC91

Atalanta could be the last Italian team in Europe by the 12th, who would have thought that at the start of the season.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Bayern will win it this year, I just have a feeling. Not enough magic in Messi's boots anymore to drag a stale looking Barca team over the line this time.
Did you not see the first half today? He's still unplayable.

I do see Bayern beating us 3-1.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Is it destined to be City’s after they defeated UEFA in the courts. Would be a sweet moment for them and an utterly terrible moment for the rest of football

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I am going to predict a Bayern - Atletico final.

kidbob

Atletico with a very doable run to the final. Don't expect them to win it but they are horrible to play against especially in one off games. Their win over Liverpool had an almost 'fate' feeling to it with how much they rode their luck.

I'd love Atalanta to somehow do it, Leipzig and Lyon otherwise but of the 'big' teams left I hope Atletico can get it done considering how close they have come in the past.

Irwin99

I know they don't exactly play good football and aren't well liked but I kinda feel for Atlético losing those two final years ago and I wouldn't mind seeing them win just one. Not a bad route to the final either.

kidbob

Quarter-finals
Wednesday 12 August

Atalanta vs Paris Saint-Germain

Thursday 13 August
Leipzig vs Atlético
(Estádio José Alvalade)

Friday 14 August
Barcelona vs Bayern München

Saturday 15 August
Manchester City
vs Lyon
(Estádio José Alvalade)

Semi-finals
Tuesday 18 August

2. Leipzig/Atlético vs Atalanta/Paris Saint-Germain

Wednesday 19 August
1. Manchester City/Lyon vs Barcelona/Bayern München
(Estádio José Alvalade)

Final
Sunday 23 August

Winner semi-final 2 vs winner semi-final 1
(Estádio do Sport Lisboa e Benfica, Lisbon)

All 20:00 UK time kick-offs.
Atletico on penalties for the final after City dominating them for the vast majority of the game.

That's my prediction.

JuliaScalaR

Supports
noone in particular
It's a shame those games only last 90 minutes :(
However I'm secretly hoping for an Atalanta run to the final and I think they are better off in a one-legged tie. Unfortunately they seem to have run out of steam lately and are also missing Ilicic and their goalie, so PSG should prevail.
Apart from that I believe the PSG side of the draw is more open than people tend to think. Atletico and Leipzig might be weaker on paper, but they are certainly no pushovers. Leipzig drew twice against Bayern this season and we all know what Atletico achieved last round.

Eddy_JukeZ

The entire team did to be honest and Barca couldn't get the ball.
Exactly why I think Bayern will pummel them.

If Napoli pinned them back like that, just imagine what Bayern will do to them.

redshaw

What is that now, Bayern 78 - London 3?

They sure love reaming these London clubs.

Kearnkoff69

Did you not see the first half today? He's still unplayable.

I do see Bayern beating us 3-1.
I didn’t say he doesn’t have magic at all, just that he doesn’t have enough help from his teammates this year and has to put the team on his back more than usual, and that I don’t see him being able to carry them this season as he has in the past. He was excellent today although, as someone else said, he did fade (understandably) toward the middle of the second half.

Pocho

I think Barcelona should sell him right away, he’s done.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
He faded badly in the 2nd half.

He's had much better performances.
He got clipped before halftime, and Barca purposely played defensively in the second half (to a fault). His first half was a blinder.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I didn’t say he doesn’t have magic at all, just that he doesn’t have enough help from his teammates this year and has to put the team on his back more than usual, and that I don’t see him being able to carry them this season as he has in the past. He was excellent today although, as someone else said, he did fade (understandably) toward the middle of the second half.
Fair point

3KDré

Atletico with a very doable run to the final. Don't expect them to win it but they are horrible to play against especially in one off games. Their win over Liverpool had an almost 'fate' feeling to it with how much they rode their luck.

I'd love Atalanta to somehow do it, Leipzig and Lyon otherwise but of the 'big' teams left I hope Atletico can get it done considering how close they have come in the past.
Agreed. Simeone deserves a CL. Brilliant coach who has been unlucky not to have won it and probably more La Liga's. I am not sure if they have enough quality to do it though. I hope I am wrong. If not them, it has to be Bayern. Anyone but City/PSG really.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Barca v Bayern will be very tasty! Seems like obvious winners in the other ties but with 1 off games, who knows.

I'm guessing these will all be 8pm UK time.
Seems like an obvious Bayern win in that too. Barcelona have been disappointing pretty much all season and Bayern have been hammering teams in the CL including two English sides. Unless they have a really poor day, in this sort of form they should be comfortably beating a Barcelona team that can't dominate games and is poor defensively even against mid table la Liga sides.

amolbhatia50k

Bayern look like favourites for me. Although a part of me wants a team like Atletico or Atalanta to win it. Simeone for example has really done a fantastic job to get Atletico to become such big CL contenders over this past decade. As for who shouldn't win it - City and PSG. Would be a rather crappy CL year if one of them lifted it this season.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

That scheduling is an utter joke

The PSG/Atalanta/Leipzig/Atletico bracket is way too favored. They get more rest in-between quarters/semis AND more rest until the final

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Bayern look like favourites for me. Although a part of me wants a team like Atletico or Atalanta to win it. Simeone for example has really done a fantastic job to get Atletico to become such big CL contenders over this past decade. As for who shouldn't win it - City and PSG. Would be a rather crappy CL year if one of them lifted it this season.
This is one of the weakest Atletico sides in recent memory though. They are beyond woeful in attack. Had their biggest summer window in terms of spending for the club's history and came up empty. I really like Simeone though and Atletico are on the much easier side of the bracket which will help.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Seems like an obvious Bayern win in that too. Barcelona have been disappointing pretty much all season and Bayern have been hammering teams in the CL including two English sides. Unless they have a really poor day, in this sort of form they should be comfortably beating a Barcelona team that can't dominate games and is poor defensively even against mid table la Liga sides.
English sides have been mostly crap in CL though this season.

amolbhatia50k

This is one of the weakest Atletico sides in recent memory though. They are beyond woeful in attack. Had their biggest summer window in terms of spending for the club's history and came up empty. I really like Simeone though and Atletico are on the much easier side of the bracket which will help.
True. I don't think they can win. It's not a very good Altetico team by their recent standards. Just a preference really.

amolbhatia50k

English sides have been mostly crap in CL though this season.
Yes , and Spurs and Chelsea have been average even outside the CL. But it still takes a quality team to put them away in the manner that Bayern did. You'd expect them to cause Barcelona (should really be a win) and City's defense a lot of problems

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Yes , and Spurs and Chelsea have been average even outside the CL. But it still takes a quality team to put them away in the manner that Bayern did. You'd expect them to cause Barcelona (should really be a win) and City's defense a lot of problems
Don’t disagree with you there. I see Bayern winning 3-1. Our midfield is too slow and I wish we would play puig more.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Don’t disagree with you there. I see Bayern winning 3-1. Our midfield is too slow and I wish we would play puig more.
I don’t know how you feel about this game, but as a Barca fan since 2005, I have never felt like more of an underdog before.

Even when we faced that unbelievable Bayern side of 2013, I felt more confident only because we had the aura of Xavi/Iniesta

Against Milan in 2006 we were underdogs because of Milan’s experience, but we still had a good chance and a great team (and we ended up winning).

I have never felt like an underdog against Madrid in the Messi era.

This just feels different

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
With Messi, Barcelona will always have a chance.

I am a Bayern fan and I am scared of Barcelona

Last edited:

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Bayern doesn't look better than Liverpool did before Atletico knocked them out in my opinion.

Favorites? Sure but let's not act like they're guaranteed winners already or invincibles.