Champions League Knockouts (12 Aug - 23rd Aug)

Suedesi

Not better - but more difficult to play against as they are really setup for this kind of play. I was not really surprised by yesterday's match. There is matches like this in the normal run in the Bundesliga, too - probably best to compare them to Frankfurt on their good days. They are just difficult to play against. If you sleep or do some stupid passes - and Bayern had some lapses in the first minutes and sloppy passing that can be punished.

Just found that on twitter - picture of the final 2013 and yesterday (I expect a similar starting eleven Sunday even if I could imagine that Flick starts with Pavard and Süle instead of Boateng and Thiago/Goretzka

It will be the fourth final for Müller, the third for Boateng and Neuer and the second for Alaba (he was suspended 2012)
Second for Lewandowski too ;)

Do you reckon the 2020 version is better than 2013?

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Second for Lewandowski too ;)

Do you reckon the 2020 version is better than 2013?
I'd rate the 2013 team a bit higher.
It had basically the best versions of Robben, Ribery, Schweinsteiger, Martinez and Lahm.

They also were a great combination of skillful players with a great mentality and spirit, just like the 2020 team.

If I had to combine the two teams, it would look like this.
Neuer(2013)
Lahm, Boateng(2013), Alaba(2020), Alaba(2013)
Kimmich, Schweini
Robben, Müller(2020), Ribéry
Lewandowski

However, I think the current team hasn't peaked yet and will in 1 or 2 years.
Sané is coming in and might form an even better offense than this year together with Lewandowski, Müller and Gnabry.
Davies as a LB, Alaba as a CB and Kimmich as a CDM played their first season on these positions (on this level) and will hopefully get even better next year.
So this team may be able to become a better team than the 2013 one.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Please don't try to excuse what Kalle does with whataboutism. For starters he secretly pushed for a super league, while also being chairman of the ECA with all its small and medium sized member clubs he was supposed to represent. Watzke has his faults and is obviously always on the lookout for ways to make more money, but he actually drew a line under the idea of middle-eastern pre-season camps after their one and only visit met criticism. Rummenigge in comparison is constantly doubling down, selling himself as some kind of civil rights activist, banning critical fans from the stadium and of course getting convicted for trying to smuggle a Qatari gift of Rolex watches worth €200k through customs.
The Bayern fanbase is solidly separated in two camps, the big "lets join up to get tickets" faction, which has the ear of Hoeneß, and the Ultras currently owning the Kurve, manning the majority of the away crowd and responsible pretty much for the stadium atmosphere. You'll find very few Rummenigge friends among the latter.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
looked like it, didn't it. Question is, can they re-build the tension for the final? somewhat, sure; fully? maybe :)
Either this will give them an immense amount of belief or they'll realise they haven't really faced a top team yet and come up short. Will be interesting to see. To have any chance PSG have to have their mentality absolutely spot on, as Bayern are the more complete of the two teams. PSG are very top heavy.

ghagua

Exactly. Bayern beat Roma 7-1 some years back and no one is talking about it anymore (okay, I just did...). The 8-2 against Barca will be remembered.
Someone that understands there is a difference! What happened after Roma got beat 7-1 by us or Bayern? Nothing really. The Bayern result against Barcelona has shaken the entire Barcelona foundation, no matter how shaky it was before. Bara getting beat like that is just impossible to imagine in a one-leg game.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
As expected, PSG 1st in terms of ORGANIC NATURAL VEGAN GREEN revenues :devil:

#Victory #CL #2021

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

#Victory #CL #2021

Congratz. I hope there is a billion more of state funding incoming. Being owned by Qatar and relying on Bernat, Kehrer and Choupo Moting (sp?) is quite an achievement.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

#Victory #CL #2021

It's interesting to see how much more TV money both City and PSG get than the majority of clubs. This has been the case for the past few years now. I guess more people are interested in watching them than it seems.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
It's interesting to see how much more TV money both City and PSG get than the majority of clubs. This has been the case for the past few years now. I guess more people are interested in watching them than it seems.
I think for PSG it's also because of the group stages, they had matches with Real Madrid while Bayern were in a weaker group with Spurs, Olympiakos and Red Star. I'm sure those matches with Real would've gotten PSG plenty of viewership.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I think for PSG it's also because of the group stages, they had matches with Real Madrid while Bayern were in a weaker group with Spurs, Olympiakos and Red Star. I'm sure those matches with Real would've gotten PSG plenty of viewership.
Yeah, I think City have also been matched up against big teams throughout their time in the CL. Still, what surprises me is how Spurs didn't get as much money despite making the CL final two seasons ago and facing a bunch of big clubs along the way.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Yeah, I think City have also been matched up against big teams throughout their time in the CL. Still, what surprises me is how Spurs didn't get as much money despite making the CL final two seasons ago and facing a bunch of big clubs along the way.

I think the TV money depends only on "country", "number of clubs playing in the tournament from your country", "previous league placement", "games played" and "UEFA coefficient". It doesn't matter how many people watch individual matches.

Roughly speaking: you want the national market pool to be as big as possible, which depends on the TV/merchandise contracts + your national competitors need to drop out early/do badly.

The french marketing pool is roughly ~60m this year and PSG gets ~45% of it. The English pool this year is ~67m, but the best English team gets only ~24m (~36%).

Three years ago, Spurs was only the second best english team and all 4 english teams reached the quarter final. Additionally, Spurs only placed 3rd (or 4th?) in the league the previous year and has probably a lower uefa coefficient.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I think the TV money depends only on "country", "number of clubs playing in the tournament from your country", "previous league placement", "games played" and "UEFA coefficient". It doesn't matter how many people watch individual matches.

Roughly speaking: you want the national market pool to be as big as possible, which depends on the TV/merchandise contracts + your national competitors need to drop out early/do badly.

The french marketing pool is roughly ~60m this year and PSG gets ~45% of it. The English pool this year is ~67m, but the best English team gets only ~24m (~36%).

Three years ago, Spurs was only the second best english team and all 4 english teams reached the quarter final. Additionally, Spurs only placed 3rd (or 4th?) in the league the previous year and has probably a lower uefa coefficient.
Yeah, that makes more sense. So does this mean that some of the UEFA TV pool gets sent to the league and then gets distributed according to the league's rules?

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Interesting stats about TV money. According to the figures in spread sheet Lille received 16.1 millions while winners Bayern Munich only got 12.7 millions.
I wonder how this can happen. Can't even remember what Lille achieved in the group stages.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Yeah, that makes more sense. So does this mean that some of the UEFA TV pool gets sent to the league and then gets distributed according to the league's rules?
the rules are made by UEFA and are the same for every league/country; the leagues don't make them on their own.

The total TV/marketing pool for each country depends on how much money UEFA makes selling their rights to their partners in this country. You can add up the TV-money for the clubs from each country to see the total pool that is distributed to each country.
For example: the german pay-TV market is fairly small compared to the French/English one. Thats why the German market pool is way smaller and the German clubs can only earn less money from this. This year its roughly: England: ~67m. France: ~60m. Italy: ~54m. Germany: ~35m.

Hypothetically, if all English clubs would have been knocked out in the group stage, they still would have earned in sum ~67m. Its not entirely accurate because the money that national broadcaster pay to UEFA depends on the how well domestic clubs do, but you get the point that I am making.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
the rules are made by UEFA and are the same for every league/country; the leagues don't make them on their own.

The total TV/marketing pool for each country depends on how much money UEFA makes selling their rights to their partners in this country. You can add up the TV-money for the clubs from each country to see the total pool that is distributed to each country.
For example: the german pay-TV market is fairly small compared to the French/English one. Thats why the German market pool is way smaller and the German clubs can only earn less money from this. This year its roughly: England: ~67m. France: ~60m. Italy: ~54m. Germany: ~35m.

Hypothetically, if all English clubs would have been knocked out in the group stage, they still would have earned in sum ~67m. Its not entirely accurate because the money that national broadcaster pay to UEFA depends on the how well domestic clubs do, but you get the point that I am making.
Okay, I get you now. Thanks for the heads up. I'll check out the UEFA rules for more detailed info.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

Yes. Also, only 3 French teams can qualify against 4 for Germany, England, etc.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich

I'm living in the Philippines thus don't know the details about the German and French TV deals.
However, since a couple of years the Champions League matches are shown exclusively on pay TV in Germany.
Only the final was broadcasted on free TV.

I'm really surprised that league 1 was able to get such a much better deal. Having only 3 teams in CL actually means there even less matches to broadcast. Still they almost got double(!!) the TV money as German teams.

German negotiators need to do a better job next year.