Champions League: Lisbon favourite to stage last-eight mini-tournament

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Quite like the one game rounds format. Probably be a few more shocks

Paul_Scholes18

Quite like the one game rounds format. Probably be a few more shocks
Yeah I can see PSG mess it up with no league fotboll before the tournament. Bayern will have a break too and might not find top form again.
It should suit Barca and City this, but we have seen them mess up in CL before.
Atalanta might actually go all the way here.

I sadly feel that City will finally win it. Pep is normally better in 1 off games and his sides are great at PK shoutouts.
They can get exposed defensivly though and have not had a great season.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Will teams be allowed to register new players for the August CL games? I am hearing Chelsea can register Werner and Ziyech to play against Bayern

romufc

Yeah I can see PSG mess it up with no league fotboll before the tournament. Bayern will have a break too and might not find top form again.
It should suit Barca and City this, but we have seen them mess up in CL before.
Atalanta might actually go all the way here.

I sadly feel that City will finally win it. Pep is normally better in 1 off games and his sides are great at PK shoutouts.
They can get exposed defensivly though and have not had a great season.
They still need to get through Real who are not going to be easy to beat. they are only 2-1 up. City have nothing to play for in the PL whereas Real do.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Bayern still in it? Because they look class. They'll win it.
They will lack match fitness compared to teams in England/Spain/Italy, although sadly not enough to give us a hope in Munich i'd imagine.

Huge chance for Atalanta and what a story it would be after what the people of Bergamo went through during this crisis.

Paul_Scholes18

They still need to get through Real who are not going to be easy to beat. they are only 2-1 up. City have nothing to play for in the PL whereas Real do.
Yeah could be a spectacular tie. I just feel that City will have the luck with them this year. Reverse roles with Liverpool.
Such a nighmare it is with those two at the top.

Bayern look strong too, but they end the league already. Could effect them a lot.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
They will lack match fitness compared to teams in England/Spain/Italy, although sadly not enough to give us a hope in Munich i'd imagine.

Huge chance for Atalanta and what a story it would be after what the people of Bergamo went through during this crisis.
Rumours are going around that there will be a friendly tournament at the end of July in Lyon with Lyon, PSG, Bayern Munich, Leverkusen, Frankfurt & Rangers to get back the match fitness.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Rumours are going around that there will be a friendly tournament at the end of July in Lyon with Lyon, PSG, Bayern Munich, Leverkusen, Frankfurt & Rangers to get back the match fitness.
Aren't France banned from hosting sports until September or have things changed?

If true about that tournament it would help somewhat bridge the gap but it wouldn't be a true substitute for proper competitive action no matter how hard they try to turn it into one.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Aren't France banned from hosting sports until September or have things changed?

If true about that tournament it would help somewhat bridge the gap but it wouldn't be a true substitute for proper competitive action no matter how hard they try to turn it into one.
I thought that too but

Aulas says more about his tournament

After his announcement during the presentation of rookie Tino Kadewere on Wednesday, Jean-Michel Aulas confirmed the organization of a tournament this summer. The president of Olympique Lyonnais wants to allow his team to resume a maximum of rhythm before the resumption of the Champions League in August.

Its friendly competition, “in the form of pools and finals”, which will be played between 6 teams, “will take place from July 13 to 18,” announced the director of the Téléfoot program. The names of the participants are not yet known according to JMA, which is awaiting feedback from the teams. And in particular that of Paris Saint-Germain. But one thing is certain, “we will have the best French teams,” he said.

Note that Olympique Lyon also organizes an international tournament between 4 women’s teams.

https://www.en24.news/2020/06/lyon-aulas-says-more-about-his-tournament.html

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag

Why would they lack fitness when they've just had a 2 month break and were the first to get back on the field?

I've been watching them. They look fresh and ready to go. Very good at pressing.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
this could be city’s year to win it, if they don’t blow the second leg against Madrid, in a straight knockout short tournament, it’s gonna come down to squad dept and the ability to bring on 5 subs to change the tide is big considering city’s squad.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Why would they lack fitness when they've just had a 2 month break and were the first to get back on the field?

I've been watching them. They look fresh and ready to go. Very good at pressing.
Because they finish at the end of June and by the time the CL comes about they'd have had a month of no competitive action while the Spanish/English/Italian sides will still be sharp due to coming out of their domestic season's straight into the CL.

For example look what happened in last year's CL final, Liverpool and Spurs both went three weeks prior to that without a game and the pace of it felt like pre season.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

Players are fit in physical terms, just won't be totally match fit in a lot of cases. Like in almost every sport, you can have great cardio and strength, etc, but you need match practice in order to be prepared for a full 90 mins match. That's what pre-season friendlies are usually for.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Completely different format on return then, even more so than premier league. Asterisk at the ready.... ;)

Paul_Scholes18

So what happens with the supercup and Community shield for that matter this season? Have they removed it or will it take place at some point?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I was always adamant football was returning a lot sooner than people thought but the return of the CL I surpassing even my expectations.

I thought there would be a struggle to get next season's tournament of the ground let alone finish this one.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
UEFA saying they will assess the possibility of fans attending the matches in July. Hopefully there will be able to be some fans attending even if full stadiums are a while off yet.

Josh 76

I was always adamant football was returning a lot sooner than people thought but the return of the CL I surpassing even my expectations.

I thought there would be a struggle to get next season's tournament of the ground let alone finish this one.
Just so glad the Scousers are out.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
UEFA saying they will assess the possibility of fans attending the matches in July. Hopefully there will be able to be some fans attending even if full stadiums are a while off yet.
No way! So you mean to tell me this virus isn't killing millions and millions and millions of people and people are going to get on with their lives?!

Le Red

What makes a game friendly or competitive games are what is at stake.
In the end, players and supporters will want that trophy as much as they usually do.
As MUFC supporters, we know how much we look forward to winning the EL. Why would it be different with teams in the UCL?

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
So the CL/EL group stages will be played twice for 3 weeks in a row next season......that will be interesting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020–21_UEFA_Champions_League#Schedule
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020–21_UEFA_Europa_League#Scheduled

But that the Nations League will be played in September is a joke :houllier:

The U21 Euros format is shit too.

(He made a mistake in his tweet.....CL in Lisbon and EL in Germany)

Kajus

Why is the final (always) on a Sunday? I can’t be the only one who’s annoyed by having to choose bewteen cutting the celebrations early by leaving the pub at a reasonable hour and being more dead than alive at work the next morning.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Sucks for the home teams. No crowd and no home turf. I wonder how they will count the away goals.
I suppose Real Madrid actually have a chance against City now. Lucky as always.