Champions League | Matchday 6

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
Inter deserves to be without european football, the only thing they did in the group was helping Real qualify by losing to them twice!

We're the only team to qualify for the round of 16 outside top4 countries' clubs + PSG.
How long can we keep these qualifications until we are replaced by yet another top4 country club because they have twice our budget.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Inter bottled it a couple of years ago against PSV as well... All they needed was a win but could only manage a draw on the last match day. Meant we qualified the campaign we made it to the UCL Final.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Marco Rose who only had the option of signing two players on loan due to Covid at the start of the season had no right to qualify from a group with teams like Madrid and Inter who have much bigger finances and far superior players. I was expecting them to get knocked out but I'm really happy to see them qualify and exceed expectations. Anything more from here on in is a bonus.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Inter deserves to be without european football, the only thing they did in the group was helping Real qualify by losing to them twice!

We're the only team to qualify for the round of 16 outside top4 countries' clubs + PSG.
How long can we keep these qualifications until we are replaced by yet another top4 country club because they have twice our budget.
Its kinda ridiculous and I say this as a City fan whose team wouldn't be in it if I had my way. The fecking CL should be Champions only... all the current system does is increase the gap between the top 5 leagues and the rest. At most 1 or 2 teams sneak through every year.

15 of 16 this season from the big 5 league. (England, Italy, France, Spain and Germany).
Every team last season was from the big 5
14 of 16 in 18/19 (you guys and Ajax)
12 of 16 in 17/18 (you guys, Besiktas, Basel and Shaktar)
14 of 16 in 16/17 (you guys and Benfica)
11 of 16 in 15/16.

Its an absolute joke to be honest and the entire system is designed to keep the bigger league clubs big and keep you guys down. Its also becoming a lot harder for non big 5 league clubs to break in, you literally have to hope to pull one of the weak french teams or weak German teams or United (not sorry).

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
To be fair, they could have won the 1st game against Bayern and game was closer than the scoreline. Athletico could have scored multiple goals, but Neuer is just incredible. And if you let Bayern score 1/2 goals, they just roll over you. But it is actually a joke that Bayern topped their group and are 1st in the Bundesliga. Imo they have been so bad for their standards.

That being said , Athletico are far from being close to favourites. They just lack some offensive power. Even against Bayerns reserve team they played defensively, like wtf.
Maybe 4:0 was a little flattering, yeah, but it was definitely a deserved win for us. The 1:1 against our reserve team was, as you said, extremely weird.

Atletico are a good team, but I don't fancy them to win the CL.

Concerning us: The group stage definitely wasn't as good as the results suggest and we seemed really tired (which is understandable) in some matches. But in the end we won 5 games and managed a draw against Atletico with our reserve team.

Was there a single team that was really good in all games? I don't think so.
Right now I would put Bayern, PSG and Liverpool as the favorites.

When is the draw for the round of 16?

Pagh Wraith

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Shakhtar unbeaten in 4 games against Inter and Madrid but lost 10-0 to Gladbach over two games. Very strange group.

Irwin99

Other than maybe Ajax and SD , nothing terribly threatening about those 3rd place teams going into the EL, or am I underestimating/forgetting a good team?

el3mel

Other than maybe Ajax and SD , nothing terribly threatening about those 3rd place teams going into the EL, or am I underestimating/forgetting a good team?
Yeah these are the 8 teams :

Irwin99

Yeah these are the 8 teams :

Yeah, other than United and maybe Ajax (who I haven't even seen play tbf) there's nothing there that would worry anybody already in the EL

Shakhtar seem a strange team i suppose. Might wanna avoid them.

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
What a crap performance by us in the group stage. Pretty luck to win the group in the end. Qualifying by just 10 points.

Finishing first means we can draw Liepzig, Lazio, Atalanta or Porto.

If Shakthar had scored 1 goal in the end we would face Liverpool, City, PSG, Juve, Bayern, Dortmund or Chelsea. The way we play we would have lost to any of those group winners.

Deery

Dreary
What a crap performance by us in the group stage. Pretty luck to win the group in the end. Qualifying by just 10 points.

Finishing first means we can draw Liepzig, Lazio, Atalanta or Porto.

If Shakthar had scored 1 goal in the end we would face Liverpool, City, PSG, Juve, Bayern, Dortmund or Chelsea. The way we play we would have lost to any of those group winners.
Cheer up mate, you put in a fantastic performance tonight be happy for it...

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Shakhtar unbeaten in 4 games against Inter and Madrid but lost 10-0 to Gladbach over two games. Very strange group.
And gladbach were lucky to even pick up 2 points against inter and madrid :lol:

Madrid clearly better than inter or gladbach, yet getting schooled home and away by shakhtar

Weirdest group in memory

PS Conte went scorched earth in the post-game interview against sky journos :lol: (tbf some of the questions were indeed inane)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Salzburg, probably the best 3rd placed team overall actually

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
And gladbach were lucky to even pick up 2 points against inter and madrid :lol:

Madrid clearly better than inter or gladbach, yet getting schooled home and away by shakhtar

Weirdest group in memory

PS Conte went scorched earth in the post-game interview against sky journos :lol: (tbf some of the questions were indeed inane)
To be fair. Gladbach was leading both against Inter and Madrid by 2, but bottled in the end in both games. They were also unlucky to lose 2-3 to Inter at home.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
To be fair. Gladbach was leading both against Inter and Madrid by 2, but bottled in the end in both games. They were also unlucky to lose 2-3 to Inter at home.
They weren't though. Inter crushed them in the first leg until vidal gifted them a penalty and then they scored a weird second in a quality counter after inter had missed several chances to kill the game off. They were also outplayed in the second leg at home

Against us they scored on their only shot of the first half, then had a good period in the second when we fell apart, but all in all never actually deserved to win either. They were second best in 4 of their 6 games

Austrodoriano

Supports
Sampdoria
Crazy group, but Conte deserved to get out from the European leagues ... If you can't beat Shakhtar in both games, you're definitely not good enough.
Conte for too many year just overrated

Austrodoriano

Supports
Sampdoria
for what I've seen and what I consider the real strength of the remaining teams:

1 Bayern
2 Psg
3 Juventus
4 Liverpool
5 Manchester City
6 Barcellona
7 Porto
8 Real Madrid
9 chelsea
10 Siviglia
11 Atletico madrid
12 Atalanta
13 Borussia Dortmund
14 Lazio
15 Lipsia
16 borussia MB

always_hoping

Only Bayern 18,Barca and Monchengladbach 16 scored more goals than Man united (15) in the champions league this season.