Champions League QF Draw | Manchester United v Barcelona

Mugiwarared71

Much as I am an optimist Lionel Messi will decide this tie weather he is injured plays well or plays badly man marked. hopefully he is either injured or he plays badly which rarely happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patrick08

If we go for it in Barcelona, I think we may have a chance to get a goal or something with the speed of our strikers. If we plan to play like we did against PSG, then it's going to be a slaughter. Barca players are not like PSG's, they are ruthless.
If we have a front three of martial rashford and lingard we can cause problems.

Caliban

Think of the massive experience for Ole and the guys. Much rather be blown out by FC Barca (with a positive experience) than a english club that could tip either way.

I just hope the players can focus on the top 4 and have their head where it belongs

Beanz

As long as we go out in a dignifiable manner having left our 100% on the pitch. This way we get to gauge ourselves vs the best, hopefully get top 4 and come back next year having fixed our weaknesses.

Last edited by a moderator:

breakout67

Supports
Man City
The best way is to raise our level than to see others falling.
Ah right, we can raise our level and magically change the draw :houllier:

You'd have to go a decade back to get a United team that would be favoured to beat this Barca team. You can raise you level all you want, a firing Messi with the supporting cast of Suarez, Alba, Rakitic and Busquets will give any team a game. Barca are hitting form at the right time as well, they had a dip mid season and are peaking for the business end. They'll also be able to concentrate on this because they are so ahead in the league.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
You think Barca's a worse draw than Liverpool or City? Yes they might be harder to manage but the rivalry and intensity of City n Pool will make it a lot harder I think. Very glad we avoided English teams all together.
I personally think we probably would have had our best chance against Liverpool as they’ve not been great recently. I’d have put that tie at 50-50 or at worst, 55-45 in their favor.

City and Barca have the ability to blow us out of the water, IMO, but they’re also very open at the back so we’ll be in with a chance. But I’d have put our odds a bit worse here, probably 60-40 in their favor. So yeah, I’d say Barca was one of the worse ties. The English rivalry actually might have given us a lift against those teams as the slight underdogs.

But anyway, in my post I also said “all matches considered” which basically means it’s been the worst draw for us, as United fans, not only drawing one of the strongest teams but also considering who City & Pool drew. Makes sense?

Revan

Assumptionman
Nice draw for us.

Think it'll be:

Juventus vs Man City
Barcelona vs Liverpool
Unlikely. All four teams are favorites, but I would be very surprised if at least one of the favorites fails to qualify in the next round. Even if each of them has 80% chance of qualifying, all four of them doing so has only 40% chance.

Canagel

Look at this way. We've got a rookie manager who's no doubt learning with every big game he manages.

This season's a free shot - we don't expect anything from it after the mess Mourinho left, so anything we achieves a bonus.

Surely the more big games we can cram into this season, the better.
no I don't have a problem with the tie itself- to win the competition you have to beat the best one way or the other. it's just disbelief we continue this run of tough draws round after round whilst others are getting easy rides. Juventus, psg, barcelona in the CL. Arsenal, Chelsea, wolves back to back to back away matches. it's quite incredible tbh. if we win a cup this year I don't want to hear anything about luck.

Red00012

After the initial disgust I’m over the draw, feck it Ole has brought back the good times, we lost 3 players to injury v PSG in 1st half we can’t be that unlucky again.
And over in the 2nd leg we had half a team v the great PSG :houllier: This Barca team is definitely not as good as it was.

We can do this.

Hughie77

Bring it on love it love it, this game is the one, this will show how far we have come under ole, full squad available with Jesse fit martial fit Herrera as well , this tie we can get through I believe we can, home 1st leg no silly mistakes a nil nil, or 1 nil will do.

Can see us scoring anywhere so look out Barca look out Messi and co here we come.. OT needs to be bouncing , and a fair ref, not a Barca favourite seen them more than once...

crossy1686

career ending
Why are people more obsessed about city or liv? Each team's destiny is in their hands.
I know, people are fecking obsessed with other teams draws, like you can win a Champions League without playing anyone fecking decent. Next round UEFA are going to withdraw a team and stick Burton Albion in for a laugh, just so City get a pass to the final...

I've never seen people so hysterical over a CL draw before in my life.

Snafu17

Tbh facing the prospect of facing an older, more experienced Messi is quite exciting. He might destroy us, but seeing a legend like this play at OT against United is a part of the fun of the CL. And we only faced the younger version before, so this is a whole new experience.

LittleP14

When I watched the draw I had the same reaction as many on here, raging about the unjust with regards to the City and Liverpool draws, but guess what....... I actually don’t care.

We have already beaten PSG in their own back yard (one of the favourites for the tournament). Not only this, but this club has done something that no other club has in the history of the champions league - overcome a 2 goal deficit away. It’s the greatest come back ever achieved in the CL.

That speaks volumes about the character of this squad and the trajectory they are heading.

Ask yourselves this, would Barca be happy drawing United? Would they be happy having United come to the Camp Nou in the second leg? I think not.

We’re not as good as Barcelona, however we can hold our own against these. They aren’t the Barcelona of old, and to write us off would be stupid.

All it takes is an off night for their forwards on the first leg and for us to nick a goal, take a slim lead or even a 0-0 Draw to the Camp Nou and before you know it the pressure is on Barca big time, and the Spanish know how to Apply pressure to their teams!

Let’s stop this negativity and get behind the lads. We can do this, and we will do this!!

Let’s set up a United v Liverpool final and show the scousers how it’s won!

soaphroniscuss

This is a nightmare. Seems City and Pool could realistically be the UCL final :nervous:
And just when you think you have woken up up out of it, someone reminds you that a wealthy and extremely good Leeds team are going to be in the mix as well next season.

Spurs need to stop City and we or Barca will stop Pool.

Canagel

prediction:
United 2-1 Barcelona
Barcelona 3-2 United

(4-4) united through on the away goals.

goin4glory

Fred has to play vs a team who presses high like Barca. If we line up with Matic/Herrera/Pogba or even worse mctominay and pereira I'm gonna snap something.

jesperjaap

I think we had our final and great cl moment this year in the last match, everything else is a bonus. With Spanish football not being on Sky not seen so much of Barcelona this season. They have of course some wonderful players, they are doing well.....but, they are to me at least nothing like the dominant force of a few years ago and I think we could have had a worse draw, not that any will be easy it is the quarter finals after all. Lyon were right in the game until the final flurry from Barcelona and I do think we will score in the away leg, even though I see us losing. Actually think our weaknesses will get exposed in the home leg, still anything is possible, we have seen pretty poor Liverpool and Chelsea sides win the tournament lets remember. I actually see us causing the a lot of problems....though I see them causing us more and then the talk of signing a centre back not being a priority may well change

Haddock

Gore Vidal.
Better than Arturo. Can the latter say he was in Gattaca?

I think we had our final and great cl moment this year in the last match, everything else is a bonus. With Spanish football not being on Sky not seen so much of Barcelona this season. They have of course some wonderful players, they are doing well.....but, they are to me at least nothing like the dominant force of a few years ago and I think we could have had a worse draw, not that any will be easy it is the quarter finals after all. Lyon were right in the game until the final flurry from Barcelona and I do think we will score in the away leg, even though I see us losing. Actually think our weaknesses will get exposed in the home leg, still anything is possible, we have seen pretty poor Liverpool and Chelsea sides win the tournament lets remember. I actually see us causing the a lot of problems....though I see them causing us more and then the talk of signing a centre back not being a priority may well change
Let's be honest, we had all this guff about figuring them out in 2011. We didn't do squat. Messi will rip us a new arsehole (again). The fact is that our midfield is not near their technical standard and hasn't been since 2008. Barca are not the team of 2011 but you wouldn't know it. Last year they lost one league game - one. This year they have last 2. Messi in normal form is bad enough but he's having his best season in years. There's a reason Barca have dominated La Liga every year for a decade and that's him. This season I've watched them and their whole play goes through him in the final third and you know what? It's a pretty flawless plan because he's unstoppable. Short of decapitating him there's really no way to stop him. He's just at it game after game and you have to pray he just has a bad day.

Our right back, right wing and centre half options are all weak. All areas where they have extraordinary players to exploit us. The sad facts of life are that Barca have gone from big club to superclub in a decade because of having the freak luck of having one footballer who is so far above the rest and hasn't moved clubs. We won't win and if we don't embarrass ourselves I'll be happy.

Last edited:

breakout67

Supports
Man City
We will rematch Ajax in another European final and they will get revenge for the EL final :nervous:.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Barca will find another way to choke in a CL QF.

The Messi brigade will blame everyone in the world but him for their failure.

It's the new boom-bust cycle.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
My fear about having return leg in Barcelona is that even if United win the first game, it will probably be by a single goal and Barca will put pressure at home. I can’t see a situation where we go into final 20 minutes of Camp Nou game with more than 1-goal advantage.

At that point you may be 100% certain Barcelona players will be trying their best to get one of our players sent off and will be falling to the floor in the penalty area at least twice per minute. With our rather inexperienced team this could kill our chances.

That’s why having second leg away sucks in this case more than it normally would.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
If United somehow gets through to the semi, we will win the whole shabang.

Kapardin

If United somehow gets through to the semi, we will win the whole shabang.
For sure, the win would send our confidence sky-rocketing through the roof.

No need to even win tbh. 1-1 at OT and 2-2 at Camp Nou is enough. Doable if our defenders and Herrera/Matic are at their best.

Patrick08

My fear about having return leg in Barcelona is that even if United win the first game, it will probably be by a single goal and Barca will put pressure at home. I can’t see a situation where we go into final 20 minutes of Camp Nou game with more than 1-goal advantage.

At that point you may be 100% certain Barcelona players will be trying their best to get one of our players sent off and will be falling to the floor in the penalty area at least twice per minute. With our rather inexperienced team this could kill our chances.

That’s why having second leg away sucks in this case more than it normally would.
We will maintain counter attacking presence though. We will surely game manage depending on situation.