Champions League QF Draw | Manchester United v Barcelona

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
You'd rather get us than Ajax (despite us clearly being a much stronger team than Ajax) because they might pass you off the park, despite the fact we are clearly able to also pass you off the park?

It doesn't make sense, at all. People are making far too much of a one off game that Ajax had against Madrid, they're not top of a league most on here would call a farmers league and they were getting smashed by Feyenoord not so long ago. It's downright weird to want us more than them.

They have some bright young talents and Tadic is a tidy player, but they wouldn't be a top six side in the Premier League.
It’s my opinion mate, don’t get so uptight. You’re spurs.

I think we would handle spurs better, it’s not a fact but my opinion.

Ajax would bring different problems and yea, it might have been one night but some of their football was special and would be hard to stop.

I’m sorry you don’t agree with my opinion and it doesn’t make sense. It is what it is though

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I don’t want an English team. We are in Europe to play big European games, not extend CL experience.

If Bayern go through I want to play them badly. Failing that I want Porto, Ajax, Barcelona or Atlético. In that order.

Hope City get Liverpool if they both progress.

Vadim

You'd rather get us than Ajax (despite us clearly being a much stronger team than Ajax) because they might pass you off the park, despite the fact we are clearly able to also pass you off the park?

It doesn't make sense, at all. People are making far too much of a one off game that Ajax had against Madrid, they're not top of a league most on here would call a farmers league and they were getting smashed by Feyenoord not so long ago. It's downright weird to want us more than them.

They have some bright young talents and Tadic is a tidy player, but they wouldn't be a top six side in the Premier League.
I’d rather Spurs than Ajax. I reckon we’d do you over two legs, Spurs are renowned bottlers.

Ajax on the other hand have pedigree. They look like a damn good side. Spurs are a good side don’t get me wrong but they’re looking tired and out of ideas now.

Poch looks like he’s fed up there too, great time to play them.

You will disagree but hey, get over it - this is a Utd forum.

United Hobbit

It is nailed on we get Liverpool...

I'd certainly want to avoid Barca and City, and Liverpool, Atletico look dangerous too. Hopefully Schalke somehow pull it off against City and Bayern get rid of Liverpool.

We've had our difficult draws for the FA cup nice easy ones for this one Please ;)

I think an English team will win it this year. 2 of the English teams left would sicken me if they won it so hope its us!

Last edited:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Instead of saying who I’d like, I’d just be happy with anyone apart from Man City and Liverpool.
My heart couldn’t take two legs against either of those two.

Johan07

Tense for sure, but the CL is the opportunity to play the top European sides, we can play the English teams any time.
I agree on this basically. It does make it a ltb different to play an English opponent in England with a European referee and now VAR as well though. But I would prefer the English teams to be kept apart as well in the draw and would not be against the "non-league draw" clause being extended to the QFs as well.

CM

Porto would be the ideal. I'm not sure my heart can take another tie as tense as PSG so soon after last night. Cue Barcelona.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I’d rather Spurs than Ajax. I reckon we’d do you over two legs, Spurs are renowned bottlers.

Ajax on the other hand have pedigree. They look like a damn good side. Spurs are a good side don’t get me wrong but they’re looking tired and out of ideas now.

Poch looks like he’s fed up there too, great time to play them.

You will disagree but hey, get over it - this is a Utd forum.
So what? We're discussing the CL draw. All I'm saying is that I think it's weird to think Spurs are an easier draw than Ajax, a team who can't top a third rate league.

Especially when it's based on vague nonsense like 'you're spurs' or 'pedigree'. Ajax haven't done anything in this competition for a long, long time, whatever pedigree they had has zero impact on the current crop of players. None. Zilch. Nada.

Vadim

So what? We're discussing the CL draw. All I'm saying is that I think it's weird to think Spurs are an easier draw than Ajax, a team who can't top a third rate league.

Especially when it's based on vague nonsense like 'you're spurs' or 'pedigree'. Ajax haven't done anything in this competition for a long, long time, whatever pedigree they had has zero impact on the current crop of players. None. Zilch. Nada.
You’re always having an argument with someone on here, I can’t be bothered.

What I will say is that you Spurs fans have a big chip on your shoulder and it’s getting tiresome.

Adamsk7

Think we’re destined to get an English team, though that is a bit boring. I think Barca would completely dick us with the way they play between the lines so I’d take any of the non-English teams but them. Fancy our chances against Porto, Lyon, Ajax (though they have impressed me), Spurs, Bayern and even Atletico.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You’re always having an argument with someone on here, I can’t be bothered.

What I will say is that you Spurs fans have a big chip on your shoulder and it’s getting tiresome.

Aren't you the one who wants rid of anybody on this forum who is a rival fan and is constantly getting annoyed at rival fans expressing their opinion?

Pot, kettle, black.

Also, the whole point of this thread is to debate how difficult certain draws would be. It's hardly an 'argument' to disagree with the opinion that we would be an easier draw than Ajax.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

You keep going on about league position and the fact your spurs not counting but it kinda does doesn’t it.

League position means shit in a cup competition. We could be fifth or sixth easily now but on great form, your form has dipped. You looked void of ideas in the last few matches and apart from scoring, the brief part of your game with Dortmund I watched got battered. You won though I get that (same as us).
Ajax are playin great football, they did against real, I didn’t care how much you want to put real down.

I though they played better against rea than what you did against Dortmund. Does league position affect that?

I can see you value your own opinion very highly but try and see other people’s some time too.

Edit: added in watched

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
:)

You can ignore the rest, just reply to what suits
When people start bringing in the boring cliches like 'bottlers' 'its spurs' or 'they have pedigree' I immediately lose any hope whatsoever that there was any chance of a rational debate.

You can't argue against intangibles, so what is the point? You think that 'you're spurs' is an argument, nothing can be said against that.

Dudu

Would like a drama free QF tie.. so Porto please.

Which means we'll obviously get City, Liverpool or Barca.

Vadim

Aren't you the one who wants rid of anybody on this forum who is a rival fan and is constantly getting annoyed at rival fans expressing their opinion?

Pot, kettle, black.

Also, the whole point of this thread is to debate how difficult certain draws would be. It's hardly an 'argument' to disagree with the opinion that we would be an easier draw than Ajax.
Not at all. There are some great oppo fans here like @duffer, @Klopper76, @Eboue supports arsenal I think and he’s great.

You’re argumentative for the sake of it.

iHicksy

In this Order for me. Porto > Schalke > Lyon > Ajax > Spurs

diarm

:lol: Yeah if you go back quite a few decades, do Nottingham Forest still breed winners then? When was the last time Ajax even reached a CL quarter final? Their history counts for about as much as Red Star Belgrade's. We have 3 ex Ajax players in our backline, so if we start them do we also have bred winners? Or does that mumbo jumbo only apply when wearing the mythical Ajax shirt?

This Ajax side isn't all that special, or they'd be topping a very weak league against a nothing special PSV side. They've pulled off one great result against a badly faltering Madrid team and now they're a harder draw than us, it's ludicrous. We also just beat Dortmund 4-0 over two legs so it's hardly like we didn't get an impressive result of our own.

We've got more recent experience than Ajax in the CL as well. The only thing they have going for them is that they're a young team with nothing to lose, but that doesn't counter the fact we're clearly a much better team playing in a much stronger league.
3 ex players but hard to argue that they are all Ajax bred. Sanchez was 20 when he moved and your two top class centre backs were 16 - and if you had more like those two, you'd probably have more trophies in your cabinet.

Ajax may not have a trophy laden recent history but the players they've produced have been winning trophies all over Europe for decades. You'll have to remind me of the last Spurs academy graduate to have won anything of note?

It's really not a controversial opinion to suggest Ajax produce better winners than Tottenham do and you're falling into the classic Spurs fan trap of digging yourself into a hole you might up being embarrassed by.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
When people start bringing in the boring cliches like 'bottlers' 'its spurs' or 'they have pedigree' I immediately lose any hope whatsoever that there was any chance of a rational debate.

You can't argue against intangibles, so what is the point? You think that 'you're spurs' is an argument, nothing can be said against that.
Get over yourself mate, it was a joke amongst a bigger post. You highlighted that and took too much offence.

Re You’re spurs. Do you think you have lots of experience of being Deep in the competition. Do you think the pressure would affect you at all in the final stages? Ajax were in a European final just 2 years ago.

That’s all anyway

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
You keep going on about league position and the fact your spurs not counting but it kinda does doesn’t it.

League position means shit in a cup competition. We could be fifth or sixth easily now but on great form, your form has dipped. You looked void of ideas in the last few matches and apart from scoring, the brief part of your game with Dortmund I watched got battered. You won though I get that (same as us).
Ajax are playin great football, they did against real, I didn’t care how much you want to put real down.

I though they played better against rea than what you did against Dortmund. Does league position affect that?

I can see you value your own opinion very highly but try and see other people’s some time too.

Edit: added in watched
Since when exactly did that happen?

Since here?
Or here?

That was only a month ago. The QFs are more than a month away.

If they are still thrashing teams by then and Spurs are still struggling, yeah they might be close to each other. Generally speaking, Spurs are without a doubt a level above Ajax whichever way you look at it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Would you lot rather Bayern or Liverpool in the pot? As potential opponents...

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Since when exactly did that happen?

Since here?
Or here?

That was only a month ago. The QFs are more than a month away.

If they are still thrashing teams by then and Spurs are still struggling, yeah they might be close to each other. Generally speaking, Spurs are without a doubt a level above Ajax whichever way you look at it.
Overall level I agree. I also think you’re only as good as you’re last game.do you think spurs have dipped recently?
Do you think Ajax have the potential to raise their game to a standard of last night again?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

League position means shit in a cup competition. We could be fifth or sixth easily now but on great form, your form has dipped. You looked void of ideas in the last few matches and apart from scoring, the brief part of your game with Dortmund got battered. You won though I get that (same as us).

When did I 'go on' about league position? I said a team who are failing to win the Eredivisie probably aren't that great a side, do you disagree?

I think you'd be favourites to progress against us based on form, I don't think your league position is entirely relevant because you have clearly turned a corner under Ole. Not once did I say that we are better than you because we're higher in the league. Out form has dipped, but basing anything entirely off form is foolish because it can change very quickly, our quality is still there and we're clearly a stronger team than Ajax.

We got battered second leg by Dortmund because they were a side at home with nothing to lose having already lost the first leg 3-0. This isn't uncommon and was something entirely expected by all, we weathered the storm and ended up making the tie very, very comfortable.

Ajax played fantastic football in one game against a Real Madrid side in turmoil. It's not me 'putting them down', they have been well off the pace all season and are not the Madrid side we've been seeing in past seasons. Them playing better against Madrid than 'what we did' against Dortmund is meaningless because again, it's a one off football match. Making them out to be the stronger side on that basis is a ridiculous argument.

I do see other people's opinions and have had plenty of decent discussions on here, I just completely disagree with you, get over it. You've blatantly just watched Ajax in one game and see them as a big club so decided they're a better side, in my view that is an ignorant opinion and deserves calling out. Take that how you will.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Don’t care who we get. The bigger the better.

But not Barcelona, please not Barcelona

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Get over yourself mate, it was a joke amongst a bigger post. You highlighted that and took too much offence.

Re You’re spurs. Do you think you have lots of experience of being Deep in the competition. Do you think the pressure would affect you at all in the final stages? Ajax were in a European final just 2 years ago.

That’s all anyway
I didn't take offence, I just decided I didn't want to engage further because it's pointless arguing with someone who views it as a valid point.

Do Ajax have lots of experience being deep in the CL? Nope, less than us in recent times. The pressure wouldn't affect us any more than it would Ajax.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Overall level I agree. I also think you’re only as good as you’re last game.do you think spurs have dipped recently?
Do you think Ajax have the potential to raise their game to a standard of last night again?
Yeah Spurs aren't anything special at the moment, definitely agree with that. A CL game at Wembley is still something special though and make no mistake that they'll be well up for it no matter their recent form.

Ajax surely has the potential to have another game like Tuesday night. I'm not saying they wouldn't have a chance, just that they'd be underdogs for me.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
When did I 'go on' about league position? I said a team who are failing to win the Eredivisie probably aren't that great a side, do you disagree?

I think you'd be favourites to progress against us based on form, I don't think your league position is entirely relevant because you have clearly turned a corner under Ole. Not once did I say that we are better than you because we're higher in the league. Out form has dipped, but basing anything entirely off form is foolish because it can change very quickly, our quality is still there and we're clearly a stronger team than Ajax.

We got battered second leg by Dortmund because they were a side at home with nothing to lose having already lost the first leg 3-0. This isn't uncommon and was something entirely expected by all, we weathered the storm and ended up making the tie very, very comfortable.

Ajax played fantastic football in one game against a Real Madrid side in turmoil. It's not me 'putting them down', they have been well off the pace all season and are not the Madrid side we've been seeing in past seasons. Them playing better against Madrid than 'what we did' against Dortmund is meaningless because again, it's a one off football match. Making them out to be the stronger side on that basis is a ridiculous argument.

I do see other people's opinions and have had plenty of decent discussions on here, I just completely disagree with you, get over it. You've blatantly just watched Ajax in one game and see them as a big club so decided they're a better side, in my view that is an ignorant opinion and deserves calling out. Take that how you will.
Ok, have a good day

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Yeah Spurs aren't anything special at the moment, definitely agree with that. A CL game at Wembley is still something special though and make no mistake that they'll be well up for it no matter their recent form.

Ajax surely has the potential to have another game like Tuesday night. I'm not saying they wouldn't have a chance, just that they'd be underdogs for me.
All fair mate, I agree in general, I was just surprised it was such a shock to a spurs fan to prefer to play them at the mo than Ajax

diarm

I love it when supporters of clubs with no pedigree tell supporters of clubs with lots of pedigree how unimportant pedigree is.

Form is temporary, class is permanent. Ajax will win another European Cup before Spurs do.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Is that a real question? :lol:
The feck? Hope the bin dippers crash and burn next week.
Yes. On one hand Bayern are an easier team on paper with slower play. On another they are hitting great form domestically and have more experienced game management that could hurt us.

Moreover having Liverpool in the competition longer means they are distracted a bit longer from their league challenge. We have faced Liverpool before and know how to operate against them.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Not at all. There are some great oppo fans here like @duffer, @Klopper76, @Eboue supports arsenal I think and he’s great.

You’re argumentative for the sake of it.

I've seen you in numerous arguments with opposition posters and invariably you've said they should be removed from the forum and shouldn't be allowed to post here. Again, you're a massive hypocrite and one of those posters who blatantly just wants any opposition posters to tow the line and post nothing remotely positive about their own teams.

Last edited:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I love it when supporters of clubs with no pedigree tell supporters of clubs with lots of pedigree how unimportant pedigree is.

Form is temporary, class is permanent. Ajax will win another European Cup before Spurs do.
I'd say neither :wenger:

DeGea

We will be fecked if we get Barcelona, City, Bayern or Juve. Everyone else I think we will be fine.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Just hope someone gets rid of City for us tbh, and somehow stay away from Atletico. After that not fussed. Reckon we’d take either Liverpool or Bayern.