Champions League QF: Manchester United v Barcelona - Build Up Thread

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Against teams better than Betis, the question isn't how to stop Messi (I don't think he can do the kind of solo devastation he could do earlier) but how to disrupt his connections with the rest of the team - ie push him very deep or prevent him from receiving and turning. In particular if there is a way to prevent his out-ball to Alba, that would disrupt his most important passing weapon. (The other is the reverse pass into the channel for the striker).
So I would play Young and Dalot on the right wing, one of them (is Dalot faster? then him) dedicated to tracking Alba.
When we're in defensive shape, Pogba would be asked to defend the spaces where Messi usually gets the ball, which isn't something to look forward to.

One option would be:

-------------DDG-----------
Young-Smalling-Lindelof-Shaw
Dalot--Herrera---Matic---------
-----------------Pogba----------
------Rashford----Martial------

I think that front 2 (or 3) can really harm them. Put massive pressure on Busquets and the CBs, direct runs at the backline, and passing from Pogba onto two fast players.

The ultra-defensive option would be to drop Martial for McTominay and push Pogba into a left-wing role like he did for Juve v Bayern

---------------DDG--------------
---------------Matic-------------
Dalot--Herrera--Scott McT-----
------------------------Pogba---
-----------Rashford-------------
I'd be omre confident of slowing Messi down with this. He runs into an obstacle wherever he gets the ball, Alba is being tracked, and Matic is an extra layer of cover between him and the back four. But the attacking prospects are bleak.

SER19

I largely agree with the limits of focusing on one player. Stifle the players around him and lessen his opportunities. That's not to say some extra attention wouldn't be nice but look to limit albas forays by a more attacking threat down our right (eek), have somebody disrupt rakitic game. Give them something to think about with playing to pogbas strength and for the love of christ don't concede a stupid set piece goal or idiotic goal.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I think we should just enjoy the occasion because the idea of our right side containing Messi & Alba is just :lol:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Against teams better than Betis, the question isn't how to stop Messi (I don't think he can do the kind of solo devastation he could do earlier) but how to disrupt his connections with the rest of the team - ie push him very deep or prevent him from receiving and turning. In particular if there is a way to prevent his out-ball to Alba, that would disrupt his most important passing weapon. (The other is the reverse pass into the channel for the striker).
So I would play Young and Dalot on the right wing, one of them (is Dalot faster? then him) dedicated to tracking Alba.
When we're in defensive shape, Pogba would be asked to defend the spaces where Messi usually gets the ball, which isn't something to look forward to.

One option would be:

I think that front 2 (or 3) can really harm them. Put massive pressure on Busquets and the CBs, direct runs at the backline, and passing from Pogba onto two fast players.

The ultra-defensive option would be to drop Martial for McTominay and push Pogba into a left-wing role like he did for Juve v Bayern

I'd be omre confident of slowing Messi down with this. He runs into an obstacle wherever he gets the ball, Alba is being tracked, and Matic is an extra layer of cover between him and the back four. But the attacking prospects are bleak.
Your second option would be us just waiting to die.

Canagel

Defence
Fred Herrera
Pogba
Lingard Rashford Martial
my preffered line up as well. if everyone is fit. no parking the bus line ups or negative tactics. we're at home and should select the best attacking team possible. be discipline off the ball and on the counter attacks/high press we couldn't field anything better.

Last edited:

RedorDead21

I don't care what the lineup is I just want whoever does play to actually put 100% effort in. I can handle individual errors gifting opponents the win, or undeserved red cards (thinking Nani!).....but performances like Sevilla and at Wolves...with dire intensity and concentration....is really pathetic from a team capable of so much more.

Tony247

messi doesn't fare good against English sides who like to crowd the midfield. Also, he doesn't respond very well against man marking. In spain somehow teams like to give him acres of space. He ain't gonna get it against Man Utd.

I am more worried about attacks from their flanks.

Having said that, we still got good chance against them. They don't have iniesta or xavi anymore. Let's control the game within our half and anything can happen.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
messi doesn't fare good against English sides who like to crowd the midfield. Also, he doesn't respond very well against man marking. In spain somehow teams like to give him acres of space. He ain't gonna get it against Man Utd.

I am more worried about attacks from their flanks.

Having said that, we still got good chance against them. They don't have iniesta or xavi anymore. Let's control the game within our half and anything can happen.
What is this based on?

Tony247

I think we should play 4312

DDG
Young Lindelof Smalling Shaw
McTominay Herrera Pogba
Lingard
Rashford Martial​

Have Herrera and McTominay man mark Messi when he's in their zone, the other two midfielders should keep the shape in midfield when the third is marking Messi and is moving here and there.

Smalling to focus on Suarez as he's played against him before and knows what his dirty game is about.

Sit compact, break on the counter.

Best hope we have i reckon.
I agree. Although I would keep 1-2 man marking of messi. Meaning batton of marker will be passed as he moves and switch sides. Fred/herrera and McT can pull the job.

United Hobbit

I don't care what the lineup is I just want whoever does play to actually put 100% effort in. I can handle individual errors gifting opponents the win, or undeserved red cards (thinking Nani!).....but performances like Sevilla and at Wolves...with dire intensity and concentration....is really pathetic from a team capable of so much more.
Exactly this you'd like to think they will be really up for probably their biggest game of the season, a "glamour" tie if they put in a dire lacklustre performance then questions really will need to be asked. Pogba was continually linked to Barcelona when we had Jose surely that's motivation for him to perform. Yes we probably won't beat them although I thought that about PSG but at least go in with the proper Manchester United never say die attitude and fight hard do not put in a limp Sevilla like performance. While a loss may be expected it's the manner of the loss that is what they will be judged on.

Agree with potentially not just trying to stop Messi, unfortunately the players around him are good enough that if he's kept tabs on they can still create chances of their own. Whereas marking Hazard like Jose had Herrera do was more effective as the other Chelsea players arent on the level of the other Barca players.

We must try and keep them from scoring at OT then hopefully use the advantage of away goals counting for more in the second leg. If we can win at home even better as itll give that extra tiny buffer.

Hopefully Ole is going to watch them a few times like he did PSG and doing his research, itll be the biggest test he's ever faced. In the PSG away leg I think belief helped massively and we need to create the same feeling against Barca, yes there were some lucky incidences but the belief helped create the game play that led to the errors.

Also I really hope we are working on our ball retention, arent Barca really good at keeping the ball? Itll be hard to get it off them so we need to keep the ball in order to create chances. Unfortunately since someone on here picked up on how bad we are at it, it now sticks out just how bad we are at it! If we inevitably struggle with possession we absolutely must take the chances we get as they will be limited. We cannot be wasteful.

Last edited:

Canagel

sevilla was all mourinho. from start to finish of the 180 minutes.

RedDevil@84

Some quotes doing the rounds that Smalling has said he knows some weakness of Messi which he will exploit. Hope they are not true.
Don't want to challenge Messi in anyway. We have enough mountain to climb already.

OleTheGreat

:lol: what's the point?

You've literally just seen us complete the most ridiculous comeback without a lot of our best players yet you have no hope whatsoever? I just don't understand such negative mentalities. Yes, we may well go out but what's the point in not remaining positive about it? Lyon were in the tie and they certainly aren't unbeatable.
It is not being pessimistic in any sense. we have world class players but sadly we still have a few players in keen areas who aren't good enough and that's our defense and the right side upfront. We're just being realistic about our chances. PSG literally gave away those 3 goals. I must say we took them well but don't expect Barca to make such mistakes. We need Pogba and Herrera at the top of their game. Also we need Mctominay to play holding because i think he's as good as Matic and faster. He can learn a lot from Busquets.

I hope we can do a repeat of 2008, score 1 at home and hold a draw at Nou Camp. That would be an Ole masterclass.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Some quotes doing the rounds that Smalling has said he knows some weakness of Messi which he will exploit. Hope they are not true.
Don't want to challenge Messi in anyway. We have enough mountain to climb already.
It's a meme copying what Ryan Babel said about Van Dijk.

TRUERED89

One option would be:

I don't want to see Matic anywhere near Barca, unless he wakes the hell up! he's back to his Mourinho form as of late

Bwuk

De Gea
Young - Smalling - Lindelof - Shaw
Matic
Herrera - Fred
Pogba
Lukaku - Rashford​

The more I think about it, this is how I'd line up against Barcelona. The only debate for me was Fred v McTominay.

We need to force them to play wide, and look for the ball in behind for Lukaku/Rashford to run onto. Fred/Herrera should both be comfortable moving to their side to help the FB as they are on their stronger foot. The key is not to go to the Nou Camp needing to win, I'd settle for a 0-0 or 1-1.

TRUERED89

By late, you mean since when?
PSG first leg, Chelsea (although we won), Arsenal and now Wolves. Yes he’s come back from an injury, but we’ve seen this form already this season, during Mourinho’s 18/19 so it doesn’t look promising. I hope I’m wrong anyway, And he plays a crucial part towards our aims this season. What’s McT done wrong though ? Palace, Southampton & PSG 2nd leg he was right at it! Only to get benched by static Matic.

TRUERED89

De Gea
Young - Smalling - Lindelof - Shaw
Matic
Herrera - Fred
Pogba
Lukaku - Rashford​

The more I think about it, this is how I'd line up against Barcelona. The only debate for me was Fred v McTominay.

We need to force them to play wide, and look for the ball in behind for Lukaku/Rashford to run onto. Fred/Herrera should both be comfortable moving to their side to help the FB as they are on their stronger foot. The key is not to go to the Nou Camp needing to win, I'd settle for a 0-0 or 1-1.
I like the line up, but I’d put McT in place of Matic not Fred. Matic is too slow can’t get about the pitch and hardly ever picks out a good forward pass! I can’t remember the last time he even got an assist ?

Canagel

I like the line up, but I’d put McT in place of Matic not Fred. Matic is too slow can’t get about the pitch and hardly ever picks out a good forward pass! I can’t remember the last time he even got an assist ?
Matic came back and we immediately lost two games. McT should never have lost his place. or at least ole should've waited until after this break to ease Matic back to the team.

Le Red

This is not the best Barcelona team ever. Messi, as godly as he still is, is a little below his peak, and so does Suarez apparently. No Iniesta and Dani Alves is a huge deal as well, so compared to a few years ago, I don't think they are that fearsome anymore.
Yes, they are probably the best team in the world right now, but they are not unbeatable and even Lyon had a decent chance.
So stop with the defeatist mentality please. They are favorites but we are a much renewed Manchester United and can give any team in the world a run for their money.

Josh 76

This is not the best Barcelona team ever. Messi, as godly as he still is, is a little below his peak, and so does Suarez apparently. No Iniesta and Dani Alves is a huge deal as well, so compared to a few years ago, I don't think they are that fearsome anymore.
Yes, they are probably the best team in the world right now, but they are not unbeatable and even Lyon had a decent chance.
So stop with the defeatist mentality please. They are favorites but we are a much renewed Manchester United and can give any team in the world a run for their money.
They are probably saying this is not the best Manutd team ever.

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
How do barca set up these days?
Our lineup on paper will almost certainly be this

Ter Stegen

Semedo/Roberto (Roberto slight favorite imo)
Pique
Lenglet
Alba

Rakitic
Busquets
Arthur

Messi
Suarez
Dembele/Coutinho (Dembele if fully fit)

A few points on how the system plays on the pitch
•Messi basically has a free role and spends most of his time in the center
•Because of Messi's positioning, our right wing is often empty in attack while Rakitic will often cover that side defensively
•Alba plays very high when attacking
•None of the three central midfielders get forward too much