Champions League QF: Manchester United v Barcelona - Build Up Thread

VJ1762

These Barca wankers trying to unsettle Rashford before the big game

Horrible club
I don't even know what they get by doing that. He is an inconsistent young player, who has 'moments' in the game, but that's it. If I was Barca, I would be looking at Sterling or players of that class.

If anything, I am surprised there aren't rumours already of Paul going to Barca. He would probably average 50 assists a season just pinging balls to Messi and co.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
I don't even know what they get by doing that. He is an inconsistent young player, who has 'moments' in the game, but that's it. If I was Barca, I would be looking at Sterling or players of that class.

If anything, I am surprised there aren't rumours already of Paul going to Barca. He would probably average 50 assists a season just pinging balls to Messi and co.
Rashford is a few years younger than Raheem and has an even higher ceiling imo

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Would you straight swap Rashford for Countinho right now?

VJ1762

Raheem was highly rated when he made his debut, wasn't he? I mean, Rashford was not a stellar name in the Utd youth setup, but he admittedly made the most of his chances. Still not a good player if we want to go back to where we were, mind.

I don't think you can definitely say Rashford has a higher ceiling than Sterling. Sterling has been part of multiple title winning squads( they are going to win the PL again this year) playing a major role. He is probably the best English player based on current form. IMO, rashford's level is a squad player for Man utd. I have more hope for Mason. Now he is a star prospect.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Raheem was highly rated when he made his debut, wasn't he? I mean, Rashford was not a stellar name in the Utd youth setup, but he admittedly made the most of his chances. Still not a good player if we want to go back to where we were, mind.

I don't think you can definitely say Rashford has a higher ceiling than Sterling. Sterling has been part of multiple title winning squads( they are going to win the PL again this year) playing a major role. He is probably the best English player based on current form. IMO, rashford's level is a squad player for Man utd. I have more hope for Mason. Now he is a star prospect.
Sterling was excellent in the 13/14 season. He was a top class talent at the time.

el3mel

I love Rashford, but nah don't agree at all. Sterling is and was far better. He was part of Liverpool trio who were about to win the league if not for Gerrard slipping, and City paid 50m for his services later. He was always going to be a top player but he was playing for Pool then joined City, so we couldn't admit it.

Red4Ever

Ok

I disagree

You obviously don’t rate Rashford

Red4Ever

I love Rashford, but nah don't agree at all. Sterling is and was far better. He was part of Liverpool trio who were about to win the league if not for Gerrard slipping, and City paid 50m for his services later. He was always going to be a top player but he was playing for Pool then joined City, so we couldn't admit it.
He wasn’t anything amazing back then
And being part of the Liverpool team that blew the league was good but there were about 3 or 4 players more important there at least

An Irish Red

They have much more talent than we do, so we're obviously not going to outplay them. We can still beat them though, if we press them and outwork them, even though they're strong favourites.

Would you straight swap Rashford for Countinho right now?
We already have Pogba and Martial, who play where Coutinho does, so it would be pointless to swap for him.

I'd definitely swap Rashford for Dembele though, and Arthur and De Jong as well (and Messi obviously).

el3mel

He wasn’t anything amazing back then
And being part of the Liverpool team that blew the league was good but there were about 3 or 4 players more important there at least
He ended up being the second best of that Trio after Suarez in terms of ceiling, as Sturbridge got completely irrelevant later on thanks to his injuries.

So his ceiling was great.

On the other hand I don't understand the rationale of believing Rash will have a higher ceiling. Reasons?

Red4Ever

He ended up being the second best of that Trio after Suarez in terms of ceiling, as Sturbridge got completely irrelevant later on thanks to his injuries.

So his ceiling was great.

On the other hand I don't understand the rationale of believing Rash will have a higher ceiling. Reasons?
His ceiling now

Sterling is doing as well as anyone could have imagined

Rashford should improve immeasurably between now and 24

And is potentially even better imo

el3mel

His ceiling now

Sterling is doing as well as anyone could have imagined

Rashford should improve immeasurably between now and 24

And is potentially even better imo
Yeah that's based on what is my question?

He's going to improve as any young player growing up but there's actually nothing to prove he will turn world class or will surpass the current Sterling in the future. It's just your opinion.

My opinion is the opposite. He will improve and will be a good part in the squad but can't see him nailing a starter position in any position of the front three in the future tbh.

Red4Ever

Yeah that's based on what is my question?

He's going to improve as any young player growing up but there's actually nothing to prove he will turn world class or will surpass the current Sterling in the future. It's just your opinion.

My opinion is the opposite. He will improve and will be a good part in the squad but can't see him nailing a starter position in any position of the front three in the future tbh.
Yup you think Rashford is a squad player and clearly don’t rate him as high as I do
He’s first choice now and getting better

Obviously it’s all speculation regarding the future from both of us
In 3 years we will see who is right I guess

el3mel

Yup you think Rashford is a squad player and clearly don’t rate him as high as I do
He’s first choice now and getting better

Obviously it’s all speculation regarding the future from both of us
In 3 years we will see who is right I guess
Agree. Definitely hope you'll end up being right though, don't get me wrong.

tieunhilang

Yeah man hopefully he will spring something on Barca too!
Anyway! Let’s see he’s been tired lately and needed a rest imo
I think him being tired is just an excuse. He's extremely young and should be brimming with energy, not getting tired like players at 30 years old.
It's just that he's a young player, so he's inconsistent. He would drift in and out of form, like most young players out there.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Who would have thought after the 2009 final as the clear top two teams in Europe, our paths would diverge so much.

What did they do differently?

Retained their top players
(we lost a couple)

Invested consistently
(we were completely restrained by debt until the new TV deals around 2015 which prompted us to try spending as we were looking desperate)

Replaced aging legs

So really the difference is one club were the victims of a leveraged buyout so they essentially had to pay-for-their-club again.

While the other is fan-owned, invests every penny back into the team, and has one purpose: to be the elite football team.

MiceOnMeth

Who would have thought after the 2009 final as the clear top two teams in Europe, our paths would diverge so much.

What did they do differently?

Retained their top players
(we lost a couple)

Invested consistently
(we were completely restrained by debt until the new TV deals around 2015 which prompted us to try spending as we were looking desperate)

Replaced aging legs

So really the difference is one club were the victims of a leveraged buyout so they essentially had to pay-for-their-club again.

While the other is fan-owned, invests every penny back into the team, and has one purpose: to be the elite football team.
They also had the greatest Player of all time and the two greatest centre midfielders of their generation..

cyberman

True.

But two of the three have left and they are still second favourites for the CL.
they've been nobodies in Europe for 4/5 years now and are criticised for spending so much yet are still overly dependent on Messi playing well.
Dominating La Liga while their biggest rivals are focused on Europe..well done I guess.
if we knock out Barca this year then they will be in crisis I guarantee it.I
they'll have wasted Messi prime years. They are not the Barca of old.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
they've been nobodies in Europe for 4/5 years now and are criticised for spending so much yet are still overly dependent on Messi playing well.
Dominating La Liga while their biggest rivals are focused on Europe..well done I guess.
:lol:

Yeah Real just didn't care about the league.

KingMinger22

A big IF but yeah winning La Liga and a QF knockout in the CL to the once mighty United is definitely considered a crisis there.

KingMinger22

How many of our players would get in to their first XI or bench?

I imagine two?

I look at their first XI today and it's definitely not stacked with star names in every single position like it once was.

How highly do we rate them now? Are they close to City's level? Liverpool's?

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
they've been nobodies in Europe for 4/5 years
Bellend comment. Also, 2015 was three years ago, not counting this unfinished, and promising, 18-19 season.

Dominating La Liga while their biggest rivals are focused on Europe.
Yet Madrid didn't face Barça in the UCL in 2014, 16, 17 or 18.

if we knock out Barca this year then they will be in crisis I guarantee it.
If.

Yet a UCL in 2015, and three Leagues in five years. Not bad. And that's after losing a manager and close friend to cancer in 2014. And arguably Messi is in Top form this 2019. Another UCL + sixth Balloon d'Or ?

Cheers.

Red00012

If we play like we did in that 1st half today v Barca we’ll be going in at half time 4-0 down

Red00012

Exactly, even against Wolves on Tuesday we’ll get spanked. Really need to wake the feck up :mad:
Hopefully revenge will be on Utd’s mind , as it has played out most supporters would take the 3 points Tuesday night rather than beat them in the cup.

cyberman

Bellend comment. Also, 2015 was three years ago, not counting this unfinished, and promising, 18-19 season.

Yet Madrid didn't face Barça in the UCL in 2014, 16, 17 or 18.

If.

Yet a UCL in 2015, and three Leagues in five years. Not bad. And that's after losing a manager and close friend to cancer in 2014. And arguably Messi is in Top form this 2019. Another UCL + sixth Balloon d'Or ?

Cheers.
Typical Barca performance today as well.
You can't use a mans tragic loss to cancer as a reason why you've fluffed your lines in Europe over the last 4 years!
Barca start slow, looks flat and then Messi kicks into gear and you win the game by a few goals. Rinse and repeat.

PoTMS

Our hopes lie in Barcelona. I can't see us winning at OT currently. We are so much better away from home.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Barca unfortunately have room to breathe in La Liga and can afford to rest players. I was feeling quite bullish about our chances but after this game against Watford I fear a hiding. I fear we've also hit a wall physically and we'll struggle to chase Messi and co for 180 minutes effectively.