Champions League QF: Manchester United v Barcelona - Build Up Thread

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Would Young actually start this :lol:

Can't wait to see his hoofs into channels

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
1999- Ronaldo led team.
We were huge favourites for that tie. It was Juventus in the semi we were the underdogs for. That Inter side had a shocker of a season and finished midtable.

Hard to be positive given how bad we've looked lately. 0-2, Messi, Suarez

crossy1686

career ending
I get the feeling tonight will go one of two ways. We’ll either win 2-1 or we’ll get treated to a Messi masterclass like that time Ronaldo tore is a new one when we played Madrid.

crossy1686

career ending
This is different to PSG.

A genuinely great football club coming to the home ground of another genuinely great football club. Hope we catch them well off guard and take advantage. Come on United!
You forgot the part where they ripped off our fans for tickets and have ties to a slave trade regime in Qatar. They paint themselves as ‘more than a club’ but they very much are like every other club. They’re just not ‘new money’ like PSG and City.

SER19

Definitely agree. This Barca are nowhere near the great sides that have beaten us before and with luck and an off night for Messi (does he have those?) we can definitely win.
Messi hasn’t had a bad game all season. And it won’t start tonight

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You forgot the part where they ripped off our fans for tickets and have ties to a slave trade regime in Qatar. They paint themselves as ‘more than a club’ but they very much are like every other club. They’re just not ‘new money’ like PSG and City.
They're obviously not like every other club but among one of the very most important. Just like Juve despite having match fixing history or Madrid with their Franco controversies, are still uniquely great football clubs. As are Manchester United.

Think you missed the actual point as I wasn't referring merely to the nationality of PSG's ownership but their historical and cultural importance/reason for their rise.

Irwin99

That Inter finished 8th in Serie A. It was full of very good players, sure, but as a team it never really clicked.
We were huge favourites for that tie. It was Juventus in the semi we were the underdogs for. That Inter side had a shocker of a season and finished midtable.

Hard to be positive given how bad we've looked lately. 0-2, Messi, Suarez
ah right, to be honest all I remember in the build up was the coverage of how fit Ronaldo was going to be and the Beckham/Simeone suplot. I thought it was assumed that if Ronaldo played we'd really struggle as he was such a special player. It's weird to think they finished 8th in Serie A that year with those players :houllier:

Nervous about the game but really hoping we pull a result out of the hat. Need Pogba and De Gea to step up again.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Nervous but won't be annoyed if we are two down inside the first twenty. They're European royalty and we are some way off of them at the moment.

But we are United and we can beat anyone on our day so let's hope we resurrect the PSG levels and make BCN pay.

Irishman

I get the feeling tonight will go one of two ways. We’ll either win 2-1 or we’ll get treated to a Messi masterclass like that time Ronaldo tore is a new one when we played Madrid.
Which we won 4-3!

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
IllI be watching this in a bar beside the Estadio Nacional of Peru.

And then in to watch the Copa Libertadores clash between Sporting Cristal v Concepcion.

And then escape with my life before it all kicks off outside afterwards.

Gasolin

Absolute excited for this one! Dont think i will be able to really focus on work tomorrow afternoon.:) I will be at the Camp Nou the other week, so i hope we can get at least a draw tomorrow.

I hope we have a go at them in the first 20-25 minutes to pick up the atmosphere, i believe the fans can be a huge factor tomorrow. Imagine Old Trafford if we score an early goal. Afterwards we should try to control the game without conceding to much dangerous counter attacks from Barca.

Easier said than done, but i truly believe that we are able to beat them tomorrow. Camp Nou on the other side will be another story:nervous:

BTW, Rashford has posted a new foto/comment on instagram. I reckon he will be able to play according to it.
But we need more than Rashford playing, he can't just be on the field for the sake of it. He needs to be fully fit so that we can press and get the ball, move fast forward and challenge their keeper! If he's at that level of fitness, then yes, we are going to do beautiful things.

Hoof the ball

Last thing we need is to play with a rush of blood to our collective heads. You can get away with it in the Prem in one-off games, but over two legs you're better off remaining focused, composed and keeping your concentration. There will be a temptation to just "oh feck it, lads, we're at home. Go for it", but we'll get picked off like Madrid did vs. Barça that way.

We need to play to our strengths. We can't outplay other top teams in our league, so we're not playing the possession kings and taking the game to them on the front foot. We don't have the personnel for it. It's all about the counter vs. them, and defending resolutely. Any other approach with this squad would be suicidal. We're not playing with Rio, Scholes, Giggs, Ronaldo, RvN and co anymore.

Swiss_Red89

But we need more than Rashford playing, he can't just be on the field for the sake of it. He needs to be fully fit so that we can press and get the ball, move fast forward and challenge their keeper! If he's at that level of fitness, then yes, we are going to do beautiful things.
Completly agree. I hope we are professional enough to only start him when he is fully fit and @ 100%. Otherwise he should come from the bench for the last 20-30 minutes at the most.

deadrevelz

3 hours to go... I hope we don't get embarrassed and Suarez doesn't score. If he does score I hope someone smashes him.

United 0-2 Barca

GM K

Barca don't usually impress me too much playing away from home in Europe. But they are a very monstrous prospect playing at the Nou Camp. We cannot afford to lose this match. Paris won't happen at Barcelona.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Odds are against us over the tie - let's just enjoy it and win or lose playing the United way.

Except Messi. Man mark the sh^t out of him.