Champions League QF: Manchester United v Barcelona - Build Up Thread

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It's like I'm reading some depression suicide watch thread, what's wrong with you all?

We will win. Not in a pretty way but we will.
Yeah, I only hope our squad is completely healthy for both legs because this is a tough test. I fancy us getting goals against their defense.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
We've as much chance as knocking out PSG in round of 16.

Nr.7

Worst possible draw in terms of chances going through.
Great draw in terms of big european nights.

They’ll beat us comfortably.

izec

We need to have 2 very good days. It is a decent draw, could have been worse, but of course also better. A top team that isnt a domestic rival and had some shit knockout games in the past, i take it. If they are as lazy and arrogant as PSG, we can win it. If they turn up twice, then they will quite comfortably dominate us.

Djemba-Djemba

The CL finals have scarred us but this isn't the same Barcelona. They're mortal now, obviously they're favourites as long as they have Messi but I really think we can do it.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
So this a fair guess at how they'll line up?

----------Ter Stegen----------
Roberto--Pique--Lenglet--Alba
-----------Busquets-----------
----Rakitic----------Arthur----
Messi-------Suarez-------Dembele

Back to the 4-4-2 diamond with split strikers for us? Put Lingard on Busquets, certainly feel Martial/Rashford/Lukaku can get goals against their defence

The worry for me in their line up would be Messi (obvs), Arthur and Dembele

FujiVice

-20 years after the Treble.
-Ole's back.
-We've beat Juventus at their patch.
-Playing Barca like we did on route to 99.
-Back at Camp Nou, where Ole scored in injury time.

Stars are all coming together. Believe.

Sterling Archer

Wooo!!! This has to be one of the best ties in a long time. A month for our injured players to get back to full match fitness and sharpness.

Herrera is going to be key to this.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I don’t think Barcelona are what they were but we need to play a hell of a lot better than we did against PSG. That first leg was pretty pathetic. I’m sure we will though.

deadrevelz

I still get PTSD flashbacks of those CL finals. I know they are not as good now, but I have a serious inferiority complex about Barca. Would have taken any other draw tbh.
I also think the further they go in a competition the better they get. Just have to hope they see us as such an underdog they take their eye off the ball... it's possible considering all the talk in football is how we were lucky against PSG.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
I only hope we give a good account of ourselves and not get embarrassed.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
My main issue is that the strain the squad will be under over the next 6 weeks. Every single game is difficult and important. If we get past Wolves, we will really be under it. We can’t afford to drop a single point in the league and the Cups are approaching crunch time.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think we are going to lose, but hopefully we keep fighting like we did vs PSG. In CL you never know, we can draw inspiration from Chelsea.

Also our luck this year has been shit when it comes to draws.

In CL we played Juventus in group stage, then PSG, Barca. If we win then might be Liverpool
In FA Cup we played Arsenal away, Chelsea away and now we will play Wolves away.
This. Liverpool have a far easier draw than us and to be fair they are still a bit better than us. I think Barca have to be favs to win it outright so no shame in going out to them. City will win their tie with energy in hand at the emoptyhad

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I'm so pissed off with that draw, absolute nightmare.

Hard to think of many positives, apart from a nice trip to Barcelona.

City or Liverpool are winning it this year.

Treble

I'm so pissed off with that draw, absolute nightmare.

Hard to think of many positives, apart from a nice trip to Barcelona.

City or Liverpool are winning it this year.
Repeat of 2008 when United and Chelsea battled it out in the PL and met in the CL final. Think that may well happen.

cyberman

from Reddit

The biggest issue in my opinion is that we face Atletico right before the first leg, a game in which we cannot rest anyone. Also, we have a midweek la Liga game as well prior to that. I really hope players are not tired like they were against Roma last year.

AgentP

Playing the second leg away is a huge disadvantage especially against Barca. Anyway, let's give it a go and hopefully we won't be embarrassed.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
All those certain that we will lose obviously didn't watch round of 16 . Knockout ties with so much pressure are decided on small margins. They are obviously favs but silly to suggest that we don't have a chance

shaky

We can beat anyone on our day. I guess the people already writing us off are the same ones who wrote us out of top 4 a few months ago, and gave up on PSG after the first leg. Some people just like being miserable i guess.

Treble

from Reddit

The biggest issue in my opinion is that we face Atletico right before the first leg, a game in which we cannot rest anyone. Also, we have a midweek la Liga game as well prior to that. I really hope players are not tired like they were against Roma last year.
Barca lead Atleti by 7 pts though and may rest who they want.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Against PSG I was confident that you would get a good result. My prediction was for the first leg where I presumed that the players would show that they are capable of competing, as a way of proving themselves after Mourinho.
It did not result in Manchester but it did look in Paris.
Barcelona have several players in a very good form, Suárez, Rakitic, Dembelé, Piqué and above all, they are a very difficult team to break.
They control the game very well and end up breaking you.
A game with a lot of intensity,pressing, on the edge of the yellow card (Roma last year) trying to trouble the play and without getting relaxed defensively thinking that they will surrender after ten minutes of siege.
The problem,the plan is better if the second leg is at home and Valverde Will be very cautious after the accident at Roma last year.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Need to be in a position to progress going into the second leg. No way Barca throw away any sort of lead at home.

Sylar

Ole winning it 20 years on within Camp Nou. Would be great.
Barca lead Atleti by 7 pts though and may rest who they want.
Hoping Atleti make up at least one games worth by then, (if its 4 points and barca know a loss makes it 1 would mean they surely dont rest as they want to)

Treble

Ole winning it 20 years on within Camp Nou. Would be great.

Hoping Atleti make up at least one games worth by then, (if its 4 points and barca know a loss makes it 1 would mean they surely dont rest as they want to)
Agreed, 7 pts seem a lot but might quickly become nothing.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
-20 years after the Treble.
-Ole's back.
-We've beat Juventus at their patch.
-Playing Barca like we did on route to 99.
-Back at Camp Nou, where Ole scored in injury time.

Stars are all coming together. Believe.

That's more like it. So much negativity about here.

Greck

The current Barca don't leave teams feeling dominated like the old one but they certainly leave them feeling outclassed the way they carve teams on their goals. The hope is our boys have grown from the PSG home leg where they couldn't even get the ball out from the back. Also these are the kinds of fixtures I wish we had a more tenacious destroyer. Barcelona have attacking patterns that will turn Matic into a spectator over the two legs. Will likely be in the background photo of any goal they score

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Bloody hell, that's negative
Yeah, sorry, I’m normally optimistic but it almost felt inevitable that we’d be screwed in the draw.

I guess we’ve had the miracle of Paris, maybe Lady Luck will shine on us again in Barcelona.

I wonder how Barca fans feel about drawing United? Surely pretty happy I’d imagine?

Last edited:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Ace. That's the tie I wanted. Another big game, it's whole reason to get into the CL in the first place for these fixtures, and we haven't played two legs against Barca since 2008. It's an overdue fixture.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Remember what PSG did to us at home? Barca will do that to us too, and away at the nou camp.

I think 4-1 Barca on aggregate.
Yeah, scored from a counter attack and a set piece to win an otherwise close game and we rewrote history to make it sound like they absolutely killed us.

Oliver_

You know what? I feel really confident. We have a realistic chance and I'm sure Barca won't like this draw.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Against PSG I was confident that you would get a good result. My prediction was for the first leg where I presumed that the players would show that they are capable of competing, as a way of proving themselves after Mourinho.
It did not result in Manchester but it did look in Paris.
Barcelona have several players in a very good form, Suárez, Rakitic, Dembelé, Piqué and above all, they are a very difficult team to break.
They control the game very well and end up breaking you.
A game with a lot of intensity,pressing, on the edge of the yellow card (Roma last year) trying to trouble the play and without getting relaxed defensively thinking that they will surrender after ten minutes of siege.
The problem,the plan is better if the second leg is at home and Valverde Will be very cautious after the accident at Roma last year.
Dembele is out of the tie . All I see from Barca fans for Suarez is criticism so I am not sure about the form