Champions League Qualifiers 19/20

Nico87

Ajax scraped through in the end, Van Der Beek also played which surely affects his chances of going to Madrid now?

RedDevilRoshi

Porto now out.

On paper, the EL could look pretty competitive this season. Some pretty decent teams.

RedDevilRoshi

Those penalty kicks were crazy! Copenhagen had two pen kicks to win it as well but failed to score either of them!

R'hllor

Didnt watch a game, but i can hear that Red Star went through. Holy shit the yelling outside, one clearly drunk mixing country FC Koebenhavn is from, other 2 trying to explain what Denmark is and the 4th one shouting my name in front of my house because i was a Partizan fan as a kid

Ban

Didnt watch a game, but i can hear that Red Star went through. Holy shit the yelling outside, one clearly drunk mixing country FC Koebenhavn is from, other 2 trying to explain what Denmark is and the 4th one shouting my name in front of my house because i was a Partizan fan as a kid
:lol:

What is the 4th guy yelling?

Javi seee, javi seee?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Season would be much better if 2nd through 4th placed teams from the top 5 leagues were forced to go through qualifying rounds to get a chance to compete with actual league champions

R'hllor

Yea... they wont go away now, already took chairs in my front yard, they taking positions. Can hear ultra drunk one yelling " Here, take my keys, go get some beers, we didnt drink anything whole night" ... be right back, feck.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Very happy for Crvena Zvedza. AN historical club who has to live from scraps deserves UCL matches.

Bwuk

It's probably better for Celtic being in the Europa where they could have a good run rather than getting tonked 7-0 by PSG or whoever.
They’ll miss out on the CL money.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Well done to Zvezda, I always like seeing such historic club do well in Europe. Ljupko Petrovic will be pleased :smirk:

Ban

Yea... they wont go away now, already took chairs in my front yard, they taking positions. Can hear ultra drunk one yelling " Here, take my keys, go get some beers, we didnt drink anything whole night" ... be right back, feck.
You're in for a fun night.:lol:

R'hllor

You're in for a fun night.:lol:
Yea, back, nah, we all good, they relocated, thank God. Being asked dumb questions like " What Partizan did tonight in CL qualifications? ". Best part i dont even know is Partizan still in Europe.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
we were absolutely terrible, structurally. we're incredibly lucky we made it through but we need to figure out that new midfield ASAP

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Sad for Sérgio but kinda happy to see Porto out, now Benfica to get KOed in the group stages please.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I remember a poster who was absolutely convinced Celtic would be ahead of us in the Prem within a few seasons.
To be fair Celtic I think would be a pretty successful club if they had 5 years of PL money. They're a much bigger club than Tottenham.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
To be fair Celtic I think would be a pretty successful club if they had 5 years of PL money. They're a much bigger club than Tottenham.
There are loads of huge clubs who are sat in the championship, and quite frankly I don't give two shits about how big clubs are in general.

They are not bigger than us. Having a more successful history does not make them a bigger club in 2019.

We have far, far more fans worldwide, a higher capacity and more modern stadium, we play in Europe regularly and just reached a final, and in general are a much higher profile football club.

Cloud7

And people were upset that Rodgers saw Leicester as a bigger job than Celtic :lol:

Bwuk

No they wouldn’t. Never helped the likes of Sunderland, Newcastle etc kick on.

AlwaysRed66

I remember a poster who was absolutely convinced Celtic would be ahead of us in the Prem within a few seasons.
Don't wont those terrorist loving bigots here. Never understood why a club & fans who so despise the English want to play so much in its league. Will I do actually.
Nothing against Rangers though, & would happily have them play in our leagues.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Don't wont those terrorist loving bigots here. Never understood why a club & fans who so despise the English want to play so much in its league. Will I do actually.
Nothing against Rangers though, & would happily have them play in our leagues.
For the financial gain and growth I think.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Ajax scraped through in the end, Van Der Beek also played which surely affects his chances of going to Madrid now?
The rule of players being cup-tied has been abolished by UEFA and even then, qualifiers didn't have an impact on being cup-tied in the actual tournament before that.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
There are loads of huge clubs who are sat in the championship, and quite frankly I don't give two shits about how big clubs are in general.

They are not bigger than us. Having a more successful history does not make them a bigger club in 2019.

We have far, far more fans worldwide, a higher capacity and more modern stadium, we play in Europe regularly and just reached a final, and in general are a much higher profile football club.
Yeah, it's difficult to really determine how Celtic would do if they came down to the PL but Spurs are definitely now a bigger club. 2000-2010 Celtic were easily bigger but the SPL since Rangers were liquidated (even a couple of years before that was declining) has been awful in terms of its European success compared to others. This isn't to say that you can't find talent in the SPL - McGinn is a quality player for example - but Celtic have been left behind in terms of everything else compared to Spurs who have only risen in the last 5 years. Aye, Celtic will dominate the league with ease but to lose against Cluj is embarrassing, especially letting in 4 goals at home.

The best move for Celtic would be to move down to the English format even if they were told to start in the Championship or another league. This isn't me advocating that as I don't want them to but they're only going to further stagnate in terms of European hopes by staying in the SPL as there just isn't enough money going around to offer them the competition they need. They will never lose the home support and they'll fill up the stadium every week despite that but their global support isn't the same as it used to be.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Lot of penalties for Ajax. At least one of em was a bit suspect if you ask me. Second goal also looked a bit like a foul, but feck it, Dutch clubs are fecked by refs against the big teams every year. In the qualifiers, Ajax are the big team, so it balances out.

Funny to see Diego Biseswar is still a professional football player. And not a bad one at that. Perhaps Feyenoord can take a punt at him. Seeing as our transfer strategy seems to be, buy back all our over the hill average players.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
If Ajax keeps playing like this then they won't get past the playoffs
I don't see them going out against APOEL Nicosia honestly. It's the start of the season, didn't you draw 2-2 in the play-offs last year against a poor team as well? Worked out quite well in the end :)

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Porto now out.

On paper, the EL could look pretty competitive this season. Some pretty decent teams.
Word for Linfield aswell. They're in the play off round with likes of Wolves. They play Qarabag so big underdogs but that would be amazing story. Couple of ROI teams made Europa league in last decade (St Pats and Dundalk) but can't think of last Nothern Irish team to make major european competition.

Bogga

Just saw the pk between Copenhagen and Red Star... the state of the pitch :lol:
The one where he shot the ball outside of the stadium... watch it in slow mo and you'll see his left foot make the ball move a bit up in the mud :eek:

(at 3:37)

Steve Bruce

Word for Linfield aswell. They're in the play off round with likes of Wolves. They play Qarabag so big underdogs but that would be amazing story. Couple of ROI teams made Europa league in last decade (St Pats and Dundalk) but can't think of last Nothern Irish team to make major european competition.
So far so good. 3 2 win at Windsor could have been even better but unfortunately gave away an injury time penalty.

But what we've done has surpassed all expectations