Champions League Quarter Finals 2020/21 - Apr 6/7 & 13/14

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
Just saw that Bellingham goal or "foul" on BT Sport for the first time. What the hell is VAR's explanation there? utterly ridiculous. :lol:
I saw it in many angles. It was a foul, Ederson's knee was kicked. Unintentionally, but it was the kind of foul on a goalkeeper that I see being given all the time.

I don't understand the confusion about the away goal rule in this thread. It's simple: if the score is tied, only then away goal rule comes into play. City won 2-1 today. A 0-0 draw gets City through, because the aggregate score would be City 2-1 Dortmund. A 1-0 Dortmund victory, the aggregate score would be 2-2. It's tied, so away goal rule comes into play. Dortmund would go through for having score more away goals than City.

Overall, deserved City victory today, clearly superior, but really wasteful. City should have sealed the deal today.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
if haaland goes to city EPL becomes the most boring league on the planet

PoTMS

I don't understand the confusion about the away goal rule in this thread. It's simple: if the score is tied, only then away goal rule comes into play. City won 2-1 today. A 0-0 draw gets City through, because the aggregate score would be City 2-1 Dortmund. A 1-0 Dortmund victory, the aggregate score would be 2-2. It's tied, so away goal rule comes into play. Dortmund would go through for having score more away goals than City.
As I understand it, Dortmund scored one away goal tonight, which counts as double, so the scores are tied currently. bite

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
As for Man City, that atrocious decision that went for them to disallow Bellingham’s goal tonight reminds me that their name is finally on this trophy this season and there isn’t much any of us can do about it. They not only have the best squad but are getting huge and crucial decisions In their favour. Sigh.
Keep calm, their annual CL meltdown is just around the corner - get a scrappy goal from Haaland, fail to score and they are out. The script is there and ready to be played in Dortmund.

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
As I understand it, Dortmund scored one away goal tonight, which counts as double, so the scores are tied currently. bite
Two home goals. Counts double.
It doesn't work like that. Away goals only come into play after the aggregate score is tied. Forget that whole idea that an away goal counts as a double, that's the source of confusion here.

I'll search for examples in UCL KO to prove what I'm saying.

Last edited:

Mihai

It doesn't work like that. Away goals only come into play after the aggregate score is tied. Forget that whole idea that an away goal counts as a double, that's the source of confusion here.

I'll search for examples in UCL KO to prove what I'm saying.
:lol: You are new to redcafe

croadyman

This ref in the City-Dortmund game is as corrupt as that ref in the Chelsea-Barcelona semi final 12 years ago :houllier:
Ah yes remember Drogba out on the pitch in his flip flops dropping expletives into the camera, mind you that ref was shocking to say the least so was within his rights to vent frustration

RashyForPM

Brilliant result in the Madrid game for obvious reasons. Carragher made to look an idiot a day after defending TAA. Neville was right.

City, it’s not bad. Second leg was never going to end 0-0 anyway. It just takes a Haaland goal to do it. What a pass by him :drool:

croadyman

I saw it in many angles. It was a foul, Ederson's knee was kicked. Unintentionally, but it was the kind of foul on a goalkeeper that I see being given all the time.

Overall, deserved City victory today, clearly superior, but really wasteful. City should have sealed the deal today.
Would you feel the same if it had gone the other way because we all know in here how much you love City

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Just saw the highlight in City vs Dortmund. Referee was taking the piss there, why did he blow the whistle? Why can't he just blew it after Bellingham scored the goal or just let VAR make the decision. Show how amateur whoever that referee is, he's not qualified enough for a CL knocked out rounds just like many others.

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
Two home goals. Counts double.
This ref in the City-Dortmund game is as corrupt as that ref in the Chelsea-Barcelona semi final 12 years ago :houllier:
There is no comparison. The referee showed no bias against any team in the match, even if he made a mistake in thinking it was a foul, but I agree with the referee, I saw the images replayed from different angles and Ederson was kicked in the knee if I I remember well. Also, he didn't give to City a penalty that a truly biased referee would have (it wasn't a penalty, to be clear). There was no robbery. Chelsea-Barcelona in 2009 at Stamford Bridge is another matter, there were three or four penalties not given to Chelsea.

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
Would you feel the same if it had gone the other way because we all know in here how much you love City
Guy, I'm part of a whatsapp group in which, besides me, everyone is rooting against City because they want to see me sad at Guardiola eliminated. Even they agree that it was a foul on Ederson.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
There is no comparison. The referee showed no bias against any team in the match, even if he made a mistake in thinking it was a foul, but I agree with the referee, I saw the images replayed from different angles and Ederson was kicked in the knee if I I remember well. Also, he didn't give to City a penalty that a truly biased referee would have (it wasn't a penalty, to be clear). There was no robbery. Chelsea-Barcelona in 2009 at Stamford Bridge is another matter, there were three or four penalties not given to Chelsea.
I think you quoted me by mistake, but I will answer anyway: You don't remember well, it was outrageously wrong.
Horrible, inexcusable blunder by the referee, frankly of the sort that should never happen at this level and that should mean he never sees the pitch of a CL game again.

copen1945

City seem to be getting favorable decisions from the referees now. The court decision and this match are certainly suspicious. United must win Europa Cup and show the footballing world how a proper club wins a Europen silverware.

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
City seem to be getting favorable decisions from the referees now. The court decision and this match are certainly suspicious. United must win Europa Cup and show the footballing world how a proper club wins a Europen silverware.
About the refereeing, it was only today, let's not blow this out of proportion for City's season, this was one game. The referee didn't give to City a penalty that a truly biased referee would have (it wasn't a penalty, to be clear). I have even seen people here compare the game today with Chelsea vs. Barcelona in 2009, there is no comparison, the refereeing in the Chelsea game at Stamford Bridge was infinitely worse.

Anyway, let's see how the second leg goes to City. I think that City was too complacent today, Guardiola is surely not entirely happy with today's performance, though City was still clearly superior. The second leg is shaping up to be more interesting than expected...

Last edited:

Drygon

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Was surprised the other day seeing benzema is 5th highest Real scorer ever.
How is it surprising? Benzema is one of the best strikers in history.

Also worth mentioning is Benzema has 0.50 goals per game. Only CR7, Di Stefano, Hugo & Puskas have better averages.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Haaland didn't seem to do much other than that one pass? Based on the highlights KDB was superb.

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
Haaland didn't seem to do much other than that one pass? Based on the highlights KDB was superb.
To be fair, City really cut well Haaland from his teammates, the ball almost never reached him, he alwsys tried to be in a good position to receive the ball and be in front of the goal, but City was always intercepting the passes or heading the ball away from him. He really only had the ball in good conditions two times. The first, he had a great chance that Ederson made a great save. The second time was his assist.

Kevin De Bruyne was superb, spectacular, man of the match quite easily

iKnowNothing

I understand wanting United to win whatever trophy but how are City getting favorable decisions and United winning Europa related?

Barnslig

You must not remember well.

Bellingham doesn't even touch Ederson. Ederson kicks Bellingham. Absolute farce of a decision, especially seing refs are being told to hold their whistle and let VAR deal with it afterwards.

RashyForPM

You must not remember well.

Bellingham doesn't even touch Ederson. Ederson kicks Bellingham. Absolute farce of a decision, especially seing refs are being told to hold their whistle and let VAR deal with it afterwards.
Yeah.

Genuinely curious @teteus, please show me the angles where Ederson was fouled. Otherwise, it’s just a really, really crap decision by the ref. It’s either a goal, a red for Ederson or both.

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
Yeah.

Genuinely curious @teteus, please show me the angles where Ederson was fouled. Otherwise, it’s just a really, really crap decision by the ref. It’s either a goal, a red for Ederson or both.

I guess that 0:10 was the angle made me think that Ederson was fouled. But after looking at 0:05 of the same video, you might be right. But no way that's a red for Ederson. Anyway, not easy even with cameras. It can be argued about the City player having the higher foot and dangerous play, but now I'm really doubting if there was any foul at all.

Maybe if I could see again the angles that were shown in the official UEFA transmission. Is that the twitter link?

Overall, a cruel moment for any referee to know, at real time speed, if it was a foul or not. The big mistake of the referee was not really whatever he thought of it being a foul. His mistake was blowing the whistle before the goal was scored. VAR couldn't intervene because of this, play technically had already stopped when the goal was scored because the referee had already blown the whistle. The referee must have been really sure in the moment that it was a foul on Ederson and made the mistake of acting impulsively

Last edited:

Barnslig

I guess that 0:10 was the angle made me think that Ederson was fouled. But after looking at 0:05 of the same video, you might be right. But no way that's a red for Ederson. Anyway, not easy even with cameras. It can be argued about the City player having the higher foot, but now I'm really doubting if there was any foul at all.

Maybe if I could see again the angles that were shown in the official UEFA transmission. Is that the twitter link?

Overall, a cruel moment for any referee to know, at real time speed, if it was a foul or not. The big mistake of the referee was not really whatever he thought of it being a foul. His mistake was blowing the whistle before the goal was scored. VAR couldn't intervene because of this, play technically had already stopped when the goal was stopped because the referee had already blown the whistle. The referee must have been really sure in the moment that it was a foul on Ederson and made the mistake of acting impulsively
Without any sort of VAR, the ref making that decision would've been more acceptable, but knowing it will be scrutinized to the nth degree, surely the easy decision for the ref is to allow play to go on and let VAR deal with it?

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
It seems that the referee of City-Dortmund pretty much only referees games in Romania. And there is no VAR in that league.

The question is: why was he put to referee a UCL game to begin with?

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Bellingham went in with a straight leg, could have been really ugly if he had hit Ederson so I tend to agree with the decision.
What the hell was the defender doing?

RashyForPM

I guess that 0:10 was the angle made me think that Ederson was fouled. But after looking at 0:05 of the same video, you might be right. But no way that's a red for Ederson. Anyway, not easy even with cameras. It can be argued about the City player having the higher foot and dangerous play, but now I'm really doubting if there was any foul at all.

Overall, a cruel moment for any referee to know, at real time speed, if it was a foul or not. The big mistake of the referee was not really whatever he thought of it being a foul. His mistake was blowing the whistle before the goal was scored. VAR couldn't intervene because of this, play technically had already stopped when the goal was scored because the referee had already blown the whistle. The referee must have been really sure in the moment that it was a foul on Ederson and made the mistake of acting impulsively
Even there, I really don’t see how that’s a foul by Ederson. If Bellingham’s stud actually even slightly nicked his knee, he’d have gone down like he was shot then, rather than try to clear it and only go down when we knew he could be costing his team the tie there and then. Bellingham could not have put in a cleaner tackle if he tried 100 times more, especially on a goalkeeper about to clear it.

I wouldn’t call it a cruel moment for the ref tbf. Some players are very honest but most teams have play acters, thus most refs must deal with this. All I’m saying is, he’s shown that he isn’t up to it by not even waiting for Bellingham to score, and minimum cannot ref in the semis or final. Get him back next season for the group stages or something, because he’s cost Dortmund the game.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Whether it was a foul or not is irrelevant in that moment and would have been for the VAR to decide later on. The ref had one job there - let the play go on, because a player was clean through on an open goal for a tap in.

I would obviously feel most of the calls went City's way due to my bias, but it's probably just incompetence from an inexperienced ref.

Siorac

Because they were chasing the game in the end but they didn't trouble Madrid in any attacking positions. There was a huge gulf with how Madrid used the ball then when Liverpool used the ball
Yeah but that's not quite the same as 'couldn't get the ball off them'. They did get the ball quite often and then proceeded to do feck all with it.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah but that's not quite the same as 'couldn't get the ball off them'. They did get the ball quite often and then proceeded to do feck all with it.
Yeah, we had possession for the last 15-20 minutes of the game but never even felt like we were close to creating proper chances, just passing the ball back and forth in midfield with Madrid easily keeping it closed at the back.

Real had a proper gameplan and executed it very well, we looked like we didn't have a clue all game long. The tie is not lost yet but a huge change in performance is needed next week.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
They really needed to put the tie to bed last night given how they dominated throughout. Unfortunately Liverpool do have it in them to win the second leg 2-0.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Both games were really entertaining last night. Hope for more of the same tonight.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Having thought about it since last night, I still haven't got a clue what Klopp's gameplan was for the first half. I mean, I sort of understood him starting Keita as I imagined it was because we wanted to press high and Keita's got more energy than Thiago, but we did nothing whatsoever. In fact, we only had like 15 good minutes in the beginning of the second, but other than that, Madrid were in full control. I don't think a single Liverpool player played well other than maybe Kabak, and that's probably stretching it. We have a mountain to climb on Wednesday and with the way we played yesterday, there's no chance we'll even get close.

SER19

How is it surprising? Benzema is one of the best strikers in history.

Also worth mentioning is Benzema has 0.50 goals per game. Only CR7, Di Stefano, Hugo & Puskas have better averages.
This is why it's surprising. Very few would hold him in the same regard

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
They really needed to put the tie to bed last night given how they dominated throughout. Unfortunately Liverpool do have it in them to win the second leg 2-0.
Real Madrid hasn't put a tie to bed in like 5 years.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What’s the chances Porto get a win tonight?

Hoof the ball

You love to see it!

Before the Liverpool game every single one of the pundits unanimously gave Liverpool the win...... Away at Real fecking Madrid nonetheless.

Feckers deserve it if for nothing else, for the British punditry arrogance.