Champions League Quarter Finals 2020/21 - Apr 6/7 & 13/14

Ladron de redcafe

Abidal who should have been sent off when he dragged Drogba down in the box way earlier you mean.
No, the Abidal who was frustrated watching Drogba throw himself to the ground in an attempt to con the referee, and who later got sent off for making absolutely no contact with Anelka, which resulted in his team being a goal and a man down, away from home.

Raredaredevil

Just checked the bookmakers' odds for the return leg. Bayern is still favourites against PSG. They are more than capable of turning this around. If there is any team who will bottle a first leg lead, it's PSG.

Bob Rivers

Supports
Chelsea
No, the Abidal who was frustrated watching Drogba throw himself to the ground in an attempt to con the referee, and who later got sent off for making absolutely no contact with Anelka, which resulted in his team being a goal and a man down, away from home.
Abidal admitted post game that he tripped Anelka. Get your facts straight.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I think we benefited from the refs a lot more than chelsea did but it’s funny how people forget all the BS against Barca in the first leg.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
That PSG approach to the game last night was a classic Mourinho masterclass when Jose was Jose. Was it perfectly executed?! No, because PSG are not used to play like that, Tuchel moulded them into more possession based side who likes to dominate the opponent. Its interesting to see that Pochettino in the recent years is transitioning into more conservative, cautious and defensive manager in contrast to his younger self but i believe its because he is desperate to get results and win trophies at this stage of his career.

RoyH1

Just checked the bookmakers' odds for the return leg. Bayern is still favourites against PSG. They are more than capable of turning this around. If there is any team who will bottle a first leg lead, it's PSG.
Yeah, PSG's record in this competion is not stellar in that regards.

Flick will have to look long at hard at his defense if Bayern want to turn it around. If they leave those kinds of spaces again, Mbappé will punish them

Ladron de redcafe

I think we benefited from the refs a lot more than chelsea did but it’s funny how people forget all the BS against Barca in the first leg.
I agree with that. I was disputing that there was any match-fixing because if there were any, some of the decisions in favor of Chelsea wouldn't make any sense.

If the referee assigned was under orders to fix the game for Barcelona, he wouldn't randomly pull out a red card and send off Abidal when Anelka tripped himself and threw himself to the ground. And, as you correctly pointed out, Barcelona should have had a penalty in the first leg and therefore a referee who wanted to fix the tie in their favor would have given it, instead of controversially walking away from it.

Okey

Having watched these games, I wanted to talk about Julian Draxler but all his threads looked too old to be bumped. There's been rumours of us looking for value with players running down their contracts. He's out of contract in the summer. Easy to turn the nose up at, but isn't this the kind of players that give depth to a top side? He just played a good game in an away win against the mighty Bayern. And has always been a generally decent offensive player. Or is it just me?

RashyForPM

Yeah, PSG's record in this competion is not stellar in that regards.

Flick will have to look long at hard at his defense if Bayern want to turn it around. If they leave those kinds of spaces again, Mbappé will punish them
No he doesn’t. Mbappe punishing them is a cost of them using that style of play, of which the benefits far outweigh it. This style will win them the Bundesliga every year because no one has the quality to exploit them, and with their own quality, gives them the best chance of winning Champions Leagues too. They really should have won easily last night.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
That PSG approach to the game last night was a classic Mourinho masterclass when Jose was Jose. Was it perfectly executed?! No, because PSG are not used to play like that, Tuchel moulded them into more possession based side who likes to dominate the opponent. Its interesting to see that Pochettino in the recent years is transitioning into more conservative, cautious and defensive manager in contrast to his younger self but i believe its because he is desperate to get results and win trophies at this stage of his career.
Fortune-telling that.

PSG used to be a team that dominate teams with Motta, Verratti and Thiago Silva.

How can PSG dominate a top team with Dagba, Diallo, Bakker, Gueye, Draxler and Herrera on the pitch?

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Navas is the best PSG recruit from the last decade.

I think PSG did fine, considering Verratti is missing, Marquinhos injured himself and our sidebacks are pretty weak.
Draxler, who isn't playing often was a good surprise. I think he played quite good during the counter attacks phases. He wasn't running much without the ball though, but I guess it's normal when you play 1 match ever 3 games.
Kean is a point of concern as he seems to still not have recovered from Covid. He seemed exhausted after playing 5-10 minutes.

Bayern had many occasions but could only score on freekicks. We are quite lucky Lewandowski and Gnabry are missing.
Great show.
Navas very probably the best goalkeeper recruited in the history of PSG even if some would be happy to mention Bernard Lama in the discussion.

Navas is a relatively cheap acquisition so fantastic value for money.

Over the last decade, the best recruit is Zlatan. Then, my top 6 would also include Thiago Silva, Verratti, Motta, Neymar and Mbappe.

Welcome here by the way :)

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Eh, when was conceding 30 chances with 10+ shots on goal ever part of a Mourinho masterclass?

Oranges038

Looking like 3 oil clubs in the semi finals. Dress it up any way you like, but it's pretty telling about how success is achieved now
If thay happens and Real go through, it will be the first time I'll ever want them to win it.

I'd even be torn if Liverpool go through.

Siorac

Eh, when was conceding 30 chances with 10+ shots on goal ever part of a Mourinho masterclass?
Such games were frequently called Mourinho masterclasses. Some people love glorifying smash-and-grabs.

RoyH1

No he doesn’t. Mbappe punishing them is a cost of them using that style of play, of which the benefits far outweigh it. This style will win them the Bundesliga every year because no one has the quality to exploit them, and with their own quality, gives them the best chance of winning Champions Leagues too. They really should have won easily last night.
Yes he does. It cost them last night and will cost them in Paris. You need to show adaptability and flexibility in order to win in this competition and Flick knows it. It's what's cost Pep sometimes in that regard.
You're welcome.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Yes he does. It cost them last night and will cost them in Paris. You need to show adaptability and flexibility in order to win in this competition and Flick knows it. It's what's cost Pep sometimes in that regard.
You're welcome.
Where PSG has lost their last 3 Ligue 1 games against the mighty Monaco, Nantes and Lille?

This tie is still wide open.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
For English fans, being versatile tactically is a cute way of saying "bollocks with all that poof playing out the back nonsense, just get stuck in, hoof it, get it in the mixer, brex!t football la"

RashyForPM

You're welcome.
The only team who needed to show adaptability and flexibility last night was PSG, who knew they were inferior and had to sit back and counter. Bayern absolutely swarmed them. They had 31 shots and their XG saw them ‘beat’ PSG by 3 goals. Bayern must play this ultra high line because as you would have seen as well, aside from sporadic occasions, they win the ball back remarkably high up the pitch through sustainable but energetic high-pressing. That’s why they scored 100 Bundesliga goals last season and 79 this so far, and why they consistently hammer teams in the CL. If the game goes the same way in Paris, Bayern will turn this around. As many people have pointed out, last nights win by PSG was up there on the flukey scales with Barcelona beating Chelsea in 2009.

Also, your cited example of Pep is also...untrue, for lack of a better word. Pep has only been knocked out relatively early in the CL at City because he has adapted and been flexible. Starting with 3 at the back against Pool in 2018, rotating and playing with a 5 at the back against Lyon etc. Even against Dortmund, City we’re average, and we can even explain that by Pep wanting to try Bernardo Silva upfront and start with only one natural winger in Mahrez, leaving Sterling on the bench. Not the best example there.

SER19

If thay happens and Real go through, it will be the first time I'll ever want them to win it.

I'd even be torn if Liverpool go through.
Would sooner Liverpool to be honest. As hard as that would be it would be hypocritical to say otherwise. Liverpool are a football club who spent time in wilderness and worked their way back. The others are projects, often laden with propaganda.

RoyH1

For English fans, being versatile tactically is a cute way of saying "bollocks with all that poof playing out the back nonsense, just get stuck in, hoof it, get it in the mixer, brex!t football la"
Thank god I'm not English then :lol:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The only team who needed to show adaptability and flexibility last night was PSG, who knew they were inferior and had to sit back and counter. Bayern absolutely swarmed them. They had 31 shots and their XG saw them ‘beat’ PSG by 3 goals. Bayern must play this ultra high line because as you would have seen as well, aside from sporadic occasions, they win the ball back remarkably high up the pitch through sustainable but energetic high-pressing. That’s why they scored 100 Bundesliga goals last season and 79 this so far, and why they consistently hammer teams in the CL. If the game goes the same way in Paris, Bayern will turn this around. As many people have pointed out, last nights win by PSG was up there on the flukey scales with Barcelona beating Chelsea in 2009.

Also, your cited example of Pep is also...untrue, for lack of a better word. Pep has only been knocked out relatively early in the CL at City because he has adapted and been flexible. Starting with 3 at the back against Pool in 2018, rotating and playing with a 5 at the back against Lyon etc. Even against Dortmund, City we’re average, and we can even explain that by Pep wanting to try Bernardo Silva upfront and start with only one natural winger in Mahrez, leaving Sterling on the bench. Not the best example there.
That's a reach. Sterling has not merited a start against Dortmund. You can argue that Silva should have played in midfield and KDB as a false 9 but they've used this setup successfully this season.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
That’s why they scored 100 Bundesliga goals last season and 79 this so far, and why they consistently hammer teams in the CL. If the game goes the same way in Paris, Bayern will turn this around. As many people have pointed out, last nights win by PSG was up there on the flukey scales with Barcelona beating Chelsea in 2009.
It is quite a fluke that Bayern Munich, the club that lost at home 1-3 to Liverpool (and crashed out of the CL), 1-2 at home against Real Madrid in consecutive seasons (to crash out of the CL both times), and conceded 5 goals to Barcelona (to crash out of the CL) and 5 goals against Real Madrid including 4 at home (to crash out of the CL) conceded 3 goals at home to PSG. Unprecedented stuff.

RashyForPM

It is quite a fluke that Bayern Munich, the club that lost at home 1-3 to Liverpool (and crashed out of the CL), 1-2 at home against Real Madrid in consecutive seasons (to crash out of the CL both times), and conceded 5 goals to Barcelona (to crash out of the CL) and 5 goals against Real Madrid including 4 at home (to crash out of the CL) conceded 3 goals at home to PSG. Unprecedented stuff.
This post warrants a double facepalm. Anyone who even read my post can see that I was talking about the game in isolation, and how PSG beat Bayern despite Bayern totally dominating.

By your logic, it’s should also be a fluke that Nottingham Forest are in the Championship now despite being former CL winners. Are games played through prior results now? Even if they were, which thank God they are not, Bayern just won the sextuple last year.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
It was not a fluke that they conceded 3 but quite definitely it was almost surreal they just scored 2. I don't remember any other game with that amount of chances created by one team (more than 30) who didn't win at the end.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Has Neuer's level gone? That was DDG-at-Nou-Camp bad.
No man, it was one mistake in 2 seasons of world class level performances (just go back and watch the later stages of the UCL last season). He's still by far the best keeper in the world for me and also one of the best players in the world.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
No man, it was one mistake in 2 seasons of world class level performances (just go back and watch the later stages of the UCL last season). He's still by far the best keeper in the world for me and also one of the best players in the world.
Big mistake on the first, very easily deceived on the third (and like the first, left a massive gap at the near post). And IMO peak Neuer rushes out or does something unorthodox for the second (doesn't mean he stops it, but it becomes harder).
Wasn't just one mistake.

GlasgowCeltic

Annoying how Liverpool and a Chelsea don’t even need to be particularly good to produce deep CL runs. Feel like this doesn’t happen with the other English sides

thepolice123

Big mistake on the first, very easily deceived on the third (and like the first, left a massive gap at the near post). And IMO peak Neuer rushes out or does something unorthodox for the second (doesn't mean he stops it, but it becomes harder).
Wasn't just one mistake.
You're just finding any stick to beat him with.

The third goal was simply a great finish from Mbappe. He shot it through the legs of Boateng who blocked the line of sight. If the GK couldn't see where the shot is coming from he is always going to delayed reaction.

Second goal 1 v 1 with the goalkeeper in acres of space. He had no chance.

First goal was DDG-esque.

Water Melon

Wow, that is quite a tempting bet to take. Bayern will have to score 2 more than PSG in an away game. Sounds like an Everest to climb.

JuliaScalaR

Supports
noone in particular
Wasn't just one mistake.
1st goal: Clear and only mistake that led to a goal.
2nd goal: (Peak) Neuer to rush out? I don't think that's a good idea. If he really rushes out, Marquinhos just squares it for Mbappé.
3rd goal: It's just a very good finish by Mbappé. Also taking some steps towards the near post would leave a huge part of the goal uncovered.

Apparently Süle and and the new Bundesliga hipster idol Goretzka got muscle injuries. I guess this means they are out for the return leg.
The Bayern bench already looked ridiculously thin before these injuries.
Any news about Marchisio? Will he be able to play the return leg?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
That PSG and Bayern game last night was ridiculously entertaining, but that commentary was up there with some of the worst I have ever listened to (maybe THE worst). It nearly managed to ruin even that game. Appalling commentary.

Boavista

I actually think PSG's approach to the final last summer was closer to a classic Mourinho masterclass than last night's game. The outcome was better yesterday but they looked far more defensively solid and better organised in that final. In my opinion even their attacking looked more purposeful then. Granted you have to take context into account, in a final the game tends to be more cagey and the early goal certainly played into PSG's hands but also meant Bayern threw caution to the wind early on.

That being said the approach didn't differ that much. Bayern had a lot of chances, but I think too many people are bringing up that 30 shot statistic to argue how lucky or bad PSG's defence was. However the vast majority of those shots weren't great chances and Bayern were trying their luck desperately while the penalty box was for the most part well defended. Over the course of a whole match you can hope that those half chances turn into more goals, but there's a reason 30something shots only amounted to an xG of 4 in the end. That's a high number in a normal match, but not necessarily when you're taking 30 shots.

On another note, Marquinhos is a spectacular player, and am I the only who thinks Draxler has been quite good lately? Seems to fly a bit under the radar

Last edited:
Reactions: Invictus