Champions League Quarter Finals (3rd - 11th April)

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I'm laughing at Liverpool possibly screwing this up, but then when Sane scored by there i started to cringe as i thought they got a second! I don't know what to think! :lol:

vangagal

City miss Aguero badly. Plenty of chances but no one in the box to shoot or blast it. For all Jesus's movement barring his first goal, he offers almost none in terms of striker duty

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
That's correct, but the ball came off Milner. So it shouldn't be counted as a new "phase" of play. Therefore Sané was onside.
Ever seen that situation: shot on goal, keeper parries, second attacker scores? In that situation, the moment of the first shot counts. "Bounced off the opposition" rule was ditched a decade and a half ago.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Been all at sea. Players making the wrong descions in the final third. Still it's there on the counter, just need Salah and Mane in the goalscoring positions rather than Ox.

Peanut Butter

They'll see it that way, but the City and Liverpool players were in line so I can see why the linesman thought it came off the City player. I didn't see that until the replay.

We need VAR :wenger:
Haha! I love the controversy when we’re not involved.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Genuinely perplexed as to how that second goal was disallowed.
Assistant must have thought Bernardo poked it or something. Pity because at 2-0 we could have made them sweat. Klopp will sort things out now.

cyberman

But Milner has to play it to be onside, if its a deflection then it doesn't count.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
City need to stop having 3/4 in Liverpool's box. The ball doesn't reach them enough in those tight spaces. What they need is to create a situation where 1 lob ball bypasses the Liverpool defense and allows 1 of Jesus/Sterling to hit it in. In other words, more players outside the box to keep the pressure on and allow for more passing options.
They don't play with a plan B though. Usually their Plan A is so good that it eventually breaks teams down but you'd think they'd try something else to draw Liverpool out

Peanut Butter

Been all at sea. Players making the wrong descions in the final third. Still it's there on the counter, just need Salah and Mane in the goalscoring positions rather than Ox.
I reckon you’ll get a goal second half and kill the tie.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Ever seen that situation: shot on goal, keeper parries, second attacker scores? In that situation, the moment of the first shot counts. "Bounced off the opposition" rule was ditched a decade and a half ago.
This is true, I don't think Sané was offside at the moment of the shot, though.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
How football fans who regularly watch football don't know the rules is beyond me.

MoskvaRed

Liverpool riding their luck. Klopp is playing a dangerous game with a defence that is not exactly AC Milan 1990s standard.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
It's needs to be a deliberate pass from a defender to be not offside. A deflection does not count. So it was offside.

Shiva87

Wow, that's a very poor decision in such a high stakes match. Surely VAR will help resolve those issues.

I don't care about City winning, but that would have set up an incredible second half of watch.

Sanchezter

I hate city (and Pep) as much as the next guy but he has every right to be furious at the officials, they should be 2 up.

I and the rest of the Caf would be rioting if we were chasing a game and ref made such a poor decision.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Liverpool has been very lucky and City was very close of drawing the series so far with that post and that goal wrongly disallowed, so all in all they should feel extremely lucky only losing by one goal. I don't know who can sustain better this type of intensity and rhythm as both teams have been running a lot but as City are the ones in need Liverpool have all elements in their favor and can only blame themselves if they end up losing.

Nick7

Sané was onside from the first shot, though.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Have you seen this zombie?

Please contact the producers of the Walking Dead immediately.

Pep working the refs as usual. :rolleyes:

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
That was offside because the rules state that there must be 2 players playing the attacker onside. Usually we forget about the keeper because he’s way back on his line and only think about the defender, but Karius was way out in the mix in that scenario and there was only one player playing Sane onside.
Haven't forgotten anyone.

To be offside, you/your side have to make a forward pass too? Where's the City forward pass leading to that goal?

James Peril

VAR and that’s a goal - everybosy understands the difference when it’s not changed. Incredible mistake by the referee, he won’t be in charge for the final to say the least. Disgrace.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's needs to be a deliberate pass from a defender to be not offside. A deflection does not count. So it was offside.
How? Keeper punched it to Milner, ball came off him. It's clearly onside. No city player was involved there.

What you said is true if City player played the pass and the ball just deflected off Milner but it isn't. Keeper punched the ball to Milner.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Pep and his staff arguing with refs. No-one puts more pressure on referees than Pep's teams. They are a truly dirty team.
I think he's the dirtiest manager in the game. I've been convinced for years that he instructs his players to dive and I wouldn't be surprised one bit if his attacking players practice it in training.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
It's yet another (somewhat depressing) demonstration of how it is to score against an all-out defense. There are times when TAA, Mane and Winaldjum are all surrounding Sane in their own box.

Still, should be 2 imo. No idea why the Sane one didn't stand, does anyone have any idea what that ref behind the goal actually does?

Irrational.

Pep sent to the stands!

Haha feck off Baldy :lol::lol:

This ref has been awesome. Not taking any bullshit or any of City's ref influencing tactics.

Darkhorsez

This is like a win-win. We are guaranteed a post-match melt down of epic proportions from one of these clowns! Can’t wait.