Champions League Quarter Finals | Chelsea vs Real (Tue) | Bayern vs City (Wed)

erikcred

Because Klopp is the messiah and Potter should have been fired months ago.
At this stage it’s clear Klopp vastly underachieved with the squad he built
Well, yeah the bolded part is obvious regardless of what Potter achieves with Chelsea. There should've been a title challenge every year from 2019 onwards. None of this take a year off and go again rubbish they've been doing.

As to "vastly"? I'm just wary of the possibility of us being in their current position a few years from now. ETH could rack up multiple high 90s point finishes and get beaten to the title by a financially doped Newcastle.

Irwin99

Very good side of the draw for Napoli you have to say. I hope they do the double.

Just hope City get knocked out.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Nah. Every year the path is the toughest, cos every year you'll have to beat the (other) toughest team to win it.

I know, it sounds like motivational BS, but honestly, Barca was a joke, PSG turned out to be a joke... the name doesn't make an opponent tough or easy, the opponent does. City might be the first real test this UCL season for Bayern.

Or they might not, who knows. Lots of clowns around, we might get another joke...
Very weird take.

The games could have ended very differently if PSG managed to equalise with one of their chances in the first game or if Vitinha scored the 1:0 in the second game. They certainly weren't a joke just because in the end the total score looks like we beat them comfortably .

Antarion

City are overrated here IMO since they are on the strongest side of the bracket, they've been favorites almost every year. :lol:

Napoli are ahead of Bayern and Madrid only due to the bracket too.
I think Inter is still overrated here, they looked bad against Bayern, not convincing against Barca and last round and mediocre in league at best this year. Would put them close to Ac Milan. otherwise the odds look reasonable given the brackets. Don'T know if I would put City in front of Bayern, but its all very close

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Out of interest who are the 2 all time great sides? I wonder if you are talking historically great clubs which could be Liverpool and Inter or great teams in recent seasons which could be City and Liverpool?
City under Guardiola and Liverpool under Klopp in general for most of the last 5 years, but last season in particular both sides were as good as anything i've ever seen

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
City under Guardiola and Liverpool under Klopp in general for most of the last 5 years, but last season in particular both sides were as good as anything i've ever seen
They weren't even the best versions of City and Liverpool, let alone all time.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Just have to beat Real,Bayern/city,Napoli/Milan/inter/Benfica. Third is on our way. :drool:

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I think Inter is still overrated here, they looked bad against Bayern, not convincing against Barca and last round and mediocre in league at best this year. Would put them close to Ac Milan. otherwise the odds look reasonable given the brackets. Don'T know if I would put City in front of Bayern, but its all very close
Just watching the awkward reaction of Inzaghi, like he had actually win the trophy yesterday, was weird and another good candidate for memes to come. Of course, in their side of the draw there are no world-beaters, so them scraping through is not an otherworldly scenario.

Lee565

A bit of serie a come back, I can see two Italian sides in the semi final and if napoli reach the final then who would bet against them this season in a one off game with their attacking power

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Because Klopp is the messiah and Potter should have been fired months ago.
At this stage it’s clear Klopp vastly underachieved with the squad he built
Klopp's Liverpool are basically Revie's Leeds at this point. A couple of major wins but way more second place finishes. The problem for Klopp is that being second a lot is not going to garner you much more than a footnote in the history of a club with Liverpool's success. Revie's bunch on the other hand are the best that Leeds have to offer, so that team is still remembered to some degree.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Klopp's Liverpool are basically Revie's Leeds at this point. A couple of major wins but way more second place finishes. The problem for Klopp is that being second a lot is not going to garner you much more than a footnote in the history of a club with Liverpool's success. Revie's bunch on the other hand are the best that Leeds have to offer, so that team is still remembered to some degree.
Klopp has won Liverpool's only top flight league trophy since Sky invented football in 1992. There is no way he's a footnote.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Wow, how weak is the bottom side of the draw? Napoli and then 3 other shite teams.
There are no weak teams at this stage, weak teams got knocked out in group stage.

Also people sleeping on Benfica are clueless, just after best PL team this season (Arsenal) got eliminated by a portuguese team who are 15 points behind Benfica in Portugal.

abundance

Supports
Inter
One of the worst? We smashed Milan already. Inter are shit and Benfica are hardly a good team. Bayern, Madrid, City and Napoli are stronger so that makes us middling. Napoli will sell their best players in the summer so they’ll go back to being average. Italian sides aren’t that good.
Benfica hardly a good team... :/
I'd much rather have drawn you than Benfica.

Pintu

One of the worst? We smashed Milan already. Inter are shit and Benfica are hardly a good team. Bayern, Madrid, City and Napoli are stronger so that makes us middling. Napoli will sell their best players in the summer so they’ll go back to being average. Italian sides aren’t that good.
Of course you got a better squad but that is not everything. You smashed a version of Milan without some key players. You have an 80 million reserve keeper and they don’t. What matters is that Inter knocked out the undisputed leaders of the Spanish league and Milan just knocked out a solid english side, and never looked like conceding a goal in that tie...

Benfica is definitely better than you and the Milano teams. They toped their group ahead of Paris, beating Juve twice, while you were losing to Zagreb…

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Inter and AC are shit. Even we battered AC and we suck.
It does not help you keeping this posture in your situation: they performed up to their ceiling and everything better possibly coming from now on is overachieving. While you……. (and us, if you like childish retorts)

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I reckon Benfica and Napoli make the semi's on their side. On the other side, I reckon City will squeak through against Bayern with Haaland and the lack of Neuer being the deciding factors in that tie. Real v Chelsea I honestly cannot pick apart. All stats point to a Real win, but I cannot help feeling that Chelsea are just a bad stylistic match for Real.

SAFMUTD

Hardest draw for English teams. :devil:

I don't see how Chelsea beats Madrid and City got the hardest opponent possible.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Hardest draw for English teams. :devil:

I don't see how Chelsea beats Madrid and City got the hardest opponent possible.
Real Madrid we already done it so no problem. Semis will be lot tougher.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
One of Milan, Inter, Napoli or Benfica in the final. Good news.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
As good as peak Barcelona? Come on :lol:

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Its funny how different perspectives and personal hmm feelings can change the view. It may sound a bit odd, because well my username is PepG and obviously i loved Peps Barca but the team that i admired the most in the last 25 years is.. Del Bosques Real Madrid. True they didnt dominate as much as Barca, they didnt win as much also but i remember clearly how there were moments in the games, the big games i mean when Figo, Zidane and co were absolutely unplayable. They were joy to watch. Real never reached that level in the next years, even though may some argue that Mourinhos Real of 2012 or Zidanes Real are better teams as a whole. So yeah..perspectives..

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
About time they both got tricky draws... surprised City didn't manage to get Stockport reserves as usual at this stage... Seriously, I think City are going to finally win it this year (with Halaand to score in the final)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
See i didn't watch them through the lens of a manchester united fan. They weren't as good as peak barcelona(11 or 15?) they were better. Though that's mostly a byproduct of time. In relative terms I'd put them on the same level, along with the best madrid and bayern sides of the last 12 years

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Good luck with that.
Well thank you for your wish but we don't need luck to beat real. We have enough to win against them. I am confident chelsea will be in semis we already did it without any luck. So we will see.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
About time they both got tricky draws...
Don't know about Man City but Chelsea got the following in the past few years:

2023: Real Madrid in the quarters.
2022: Real Madrid in the quarters
2021: Won beating Man City, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid in the knockout stages.
2020: Bayern in the last 16
2018: Barca in the last 16
2016: PSG in the last 16
2015: PSG in the last 16

Once you get to the last 16 of the Champs League, it's kinda hard to get an easy draw.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
See i didn't watch them through the lens of a manchester united fan. They weren't as good as peak barcelona(11 or 15?) they were better. Though that's mostly a byproduct of time. In relative terms I'd put them on the same level, along with the best madrid and bayern sides of the last 12 years
Seems you watched them through the lens of a clueless person instead.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Seems you watched them through the lens of a clueless person instead.
He's not wrong.

Peak Pep (2011) were only a bit better than Madrid's first season under Jose.
From 4 Clasicos in 14 days, each side won once. And Barca's sole win was due to a nonexistent red card, after a dive by Alves, that folks like Rio called him out for it.

United in 2011, though got to the CL final, were way inferior than both Barca and Madrid. But fans don't want to hear it. They reached the final thanks to a kind draw.

And that Madrid side (2011 or even 2012) was a pretty one dimensional team, and not very good at big matches. Midfield was a glaring weakness, they had literally no press-resistance.

Madrid under Zizou, esp the midfield, was far more flexible, way more mature, and much much better at handling tough situations.

Casemiro >> Khedira
Kroos > Alonso
Modric >> Ozil

If Madrid in 2011 and 2012 could almost go toe to toe with peak Barca, a much better Madrid would have probably got the upper hand.

But these two sides never played each other.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I think we'll avoid defeat at home v madrid and probably nick it, so a defeat by the odd goal first leg would suit me.

we'll give them a much tougher game than pool did