Champions League Quarter Finals | Chelsea vs Real (Tue) | Bayern vs City (Wed)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Nah, i watched them objectively and i know what i'm talking about, unlike you
Rubbish. We all know you’re a tad in love with City and mostly Liverpool and see through that enamoured lense rather than any objectivity. Liverpool under Klopp being as good as any side you’ve seen shows that you’ve either not seen many great ones or choose not to (objectively).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's not wrong.

Peak Pep (2011) were only a bit better than Madrid's first season under Jose.
From 4 Clasicos in 14 days, each side won once. And Barca's sole win was due to a nonexistent red card, after a dive by Alves, that folks like Rio called him out for it.

United in 2011, though got to the CL final, were way inferior than both Barca and Madrid. But fans don't want to hear it. They reached the final thanks to a kind draw.

And that Madrid side (2011 or even 2012) was a pretty one dimensional team, and not very good at big matches. Midfield was a glaring weakness, they had literally no press-resistance.

Madrid under Zizou, esp the midfield, was far more flexible, way more mature, and much much better at handling tough situations.

Casemiro >> Khedira
Kroos > Alonso
Modric >> Ozil

If Madrid in 2011 and 2012 could almost go toe to toe with peak Barca, a much better Madrid would have probably got the upper hand.

But these two sides never played each other.
He’s wrong and so are you in that you misinterpreted the comparison being made.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I think we'll avoid defeat at home v madrid and probably nick it, so a defeat by the odd goal first leg would suit me.

we'll give them a much tougher game than pool did
Ultimately it all comes down to how well you can defend on Vini. Stop him and you stop us and we're very beatable. Failing that you don't have a chance

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
From 4 Clasicos in 14 days, each side won once. And Barca's sole win was due to a nonexistent red card, after a dive by Alves, that folks like Rio called him out for it.
Well there was also that 5th game where we got obliterated 5-0.

Deco10Legend

Supports
Fc Porto
Pains me to say but Benfica are in great good form and might actually reach the final. They are very underrated.
Hopefully if not Inter, Napoli will destroy them. I even take city beating them, anyone really ahah.

GinobiliTheGOAT

He's not wrong.

United in 2011, though got to the CL final, were way inferior than both Barca and Madrid. But fans don't want to hear it. They reached the final thanks to a kind draw.

And that Madrid side (2011 or even 2012) was a pretty one dimensional team, and not very good at big matches. Midfield was a glaring weakness, they had literally no press-resistance.

Madrid under Zizou, esp the midfield, was far more flexible, way more mature, and much much better at handling tough situations.

Casemiro >> Khedira
Kroos > Alonso
Modric >> Ozil

If Madrid in 2011 and 2012 could almost go toe to toe with peak Barca, a much better Madrid would have probably got the upper hand.

But these two sides never played each other.
Better Madrid sides were getting spanked by worse Barca sides in 2014, 2016, 2017, etc…

The peak Barca side was always better than the best Madrid side

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Well there was also that 5th game where we got obliterated 5-0.
That was the 1st one, not the 5th. The other 4 were all at the end of the season, in the span of two weeks.

That was Jose's early days vs Pep's 3rd year at Barca, not a fair comparison.
Not sure if that's even true with the bribery that went on
You might be right, I tried to keep the things as it was.
He’s wrong and so are you in that you misinterpreted the comparison being made.
You're looking at it with the wrong lense (United fan watching his team get a reality check). Pep's Barca struggled in quite a few KO games, even against inferior sides (unlike Zizou's Madrid).

City played better CL football in 2022 than Pep's Barca in 2011, but they were playing against a super experienced side with multiple CLs under their belt, and there was no Ovrebo to bail them out.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Better Madrid sides were getting spanked by worse Barca sides in 2014, 2016, 2017, etc…

The peak Barca side was always better than the best Madrid side
I would pause before bringing up Liga games if I were you :nono:

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
That was the 1st one, not the 5th. The other 4 were all at the end of the season, in the span of two weeks.

That was Jose's early days vs Pep's 3rd year at Barca, not a fair comparison.

You might be right, I tried to keep the things as it was.

You're looking at it with the wrong lense (United fan watching his team get a reality check). Pep's Barca struggled in quite a few KO games, even against inferior sides (unlike Zizou's Madrid).

City played better CL football in 2022 than Pep's Barca in 2011, but they were playing against a super experienced side with multiple CLs under their belt, and there was no Ovrebo to bail them out.
Guardiola's City literally got knocked by Lyon, Tottenham, and Monaco in the UCL.
The way they have bottled the UCL it's only comparable to PSG.

I know you are a Madrid fan, but it's ridiculous that anybody thinks that Guardiola's City is better than Pep's Barca, only a Madrid fan would say that, cause at no point Guardiola's City has reached Barca level.

And Zidane's Real was very lucky a bunch of times in the UCL, i remember that game against Juve in Bernabéu, got dominated the whole game and qualified thanks a dubious penalty in the last minute.

It doesn't matter at the end, City bottled a big lead in 10 minutes, just because it was against Real Madrid doesn't make it any better... bottling is bottling, and Madrid was playing like shit for 75 minutes, and even before Madrid scored City missed a bunch of sitters.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Guardiola's City literally got knocked by Lyon, Tottenham, and Monaco in the UCL.

I know you are a Madrid fan, but it's ridiculous that anybody thinks that Guardiola's City is better than Pep's Barca, only a Madrid fan would say that, cause at no point Guardiola's City has reached Barca level.

And Zidane's Real was very lucky a bunch of times in the UCL, i remember that game against Juve in Bernabéu, got dominated the whole game and qualified thanks a dubious penalty in the last minute.

It doesn't matter at the end, City bottled a big lead in 10 minutes, just because it was against Real Madrid doesn't make it any better... bottling is bottling, and Madrid was playing like shit for 75 minutes, and even before Madrid scored City missed a bunch of sitters.
Pep himself has become a better manager. He even believes coming to England improved his coaching style and skill. City though.. I think they peaked a couple of years back and would not have come close, ultimately that particular Barcelona side were a freak of nature. I believe only peak Bayern of a few years ago would have seriously given them a real challenge because of how direct and fast their style was. Any team attempting tippy tappy football would have been dismantled without breaking a sweat.

Mr.Fantastic

Supports
Real Madrid

Start from behind equals "dubious" penalty. Team which achieved unprecedented success and completely shat on results of so called "peak Barca", was very "lucky" despite beating every top opponent you can imagine. The shit you read here. To be honest i would love to see Pep`s passing cattenacio returning, just for people to realize how archaic it has become in terms of modern football.

Also fck Pep. Hope that bald feck gets destroyed by Bayern and goes back to Barca.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Eeeh. That particular barcelona side(10/11?) the one who was really struggling against arsenal then Van Persie got sent off and they equalized the tie 2 minutes later? The one that couldn't score if the game lasted a year at the bernabeu then Pepe had a psycothic episode, got sent off and real madrid collectively had a meltdown?

It was a great side for sure, it was also lucky in that it got the bounces whenever it needed them. For comparison, City going out to Liverpool with an offside goal(Salah), a disallowed goal for offside that didn't look it(sterling) and one of the most scandalous disallowed goals ever seen(Sane)? Or going out to a goal that directly lead to IFAB changing the handball rules(Llorente)?

Real Madrid last season we were a team of destiny, nobody and nothing was gonna stop us :drool: :lol: like chelsea 2012

Mostly, the main difference between Guardiola's Barceloa and Guardiola's Bayern or City is that Barcelona were revolutionary, the modern day equivalent of Sacchi's milan. They were years ahead of their time and forced the rest of the world to adapt, but once the world did adapt, both Pep and Barcelona had to evolve/change to stay at the top

Last edited:

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid

Pep's City has been underwhelming in Europe, who said otherwise? But "last year" they were absolutely tearing it apart, some of the best football you'd ever see, better than Barca in 2011, they were simply unlucky to face us during that time frame and Karim playing GOAT football.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Tuesday 11 April
20:00 Benfica vs Inter
20:00 Man City vs Bayern

Wednesday 12 April
20:00 Milan vs Napoli
20:00 Real Madrid vs Chelsea

Tuesday 18 April
20:00 Chelsea vs Real Madrid
20:00 Napoli vs Milan

Wednesday 19 April
20:00 Bayern vs Man City
20:00 Inter vs Benfica

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Napoli will most likely be without all their 3 strikers. Osimhen, Simeone and Raspadori are struggling. I think the 4-0 loss to Milan shows that they're a bad match up for Napoli. Milan derby in the semi final most likely.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Pep's City has been underwhelming in Europe, who said otherwise? But "last year" they were absolutely tearing it apart, some of the best football you'd ever see, better than Barca in 2011, they were simply unlucky to face us during that time frame and Karim playing GOAT football.
What a bunch of nonsense.

IRELANDUNITED

Looking forward to watching these quarter finals. City aren’t really having a great season but they actually aren’t a million miles away from doing the treble. If they beat Munich it’s very much on for them. Hopefully Munich do them but I don’t think so.

RedRocket9908

They were hardly tearing it apart last year and were actually quite poor losing away to PSG and RB Leipzig in the group stage, drawing 0-0 at home with Sporting in the last 16, only just getting past Atletico in the QF 1-0 on aggregate, then getting knocked out by Real in the semi's after losing 3-1 in Madrid.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They were hardly tearing it apart last year and were actually quite poor losing away to PSG and RB Leipzig in the group stage, drawing 0-0 at home with Sporting in the last 16, only just getting past Atletico in the QF 1-0 on aggregate, then getting knocked out by Real in the semi's after losing 3-1 in Madrid.
The first leg was 5-0 to City!

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
It's that time of the CL season where I'm expecting to see Haaland at RB and Ederson in the pivot number 9. Come on Bayern, you know what you have to do.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
It's that time of the CL season where I'm expecting to see Haaland at RB and Ederson in the pivot number 9. Come on Bayern, you know what you have to do.
I think City will do them. Ancelotti might be able to do them again but I have a feeling City are going to win it. Napoli have a nice route to the final and will be tough for anyone.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I think City will do them. Ancelotti might be able to do them again but I have a feeling City are going to win it. Napoli have a nice route to the final and will be tough for anyone.
Oh I'm sure Pep can beat Bayern, or nearly any team. But can Pep beat Pep? The guy is literally living rent free in his own head. :lol:

Red Star One

It happens every time but there’s something in me saying Pep does not go crazy this year and will not make his usual mistakes. Hope Bayern can kick them out even if he doesn’t throw the tie himself

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
It happens every time but there’s something in me saying Pep does not go crazy this year and will not make his usual mistakes. Hope Bayern can kick them out even if he doesn’t throw the tie himself
He has accepted he is just another idiot, like all of us, and now relies on terminHaaland to break his duck for good.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It's really not. Although there's 11 years of difference between those sides. They played at 3 times the pace of Barcelona, for one thing

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Correct, but how does that justify a 0-0 draw at home in the 2nd leg if they were tearing it apart?
With the fact they had won 5-0 away so they had no reason to waste energy? I mean, if you're going down that route then the only team to ever tear it out in CL was Flick's Bayern in 19/20....unless you hold them squeaking by PSG in the final thanks in large part to Neuer against them..

And sure, for my money that was the best team i've ever seen, though the covid interruption and restart leaves a bit of a shadow for me

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
My inner Michael Owen says that if both ties go the second game still open, there will be two instant classics next week.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Good games tonight but the real blockbuster game is tomorrow when two teams who have 16 (!!) European cups between them meet.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I don't think the Tuchel effect will be enough to win us this tie, especially when our striker options are down to out of form Mané, or out of position Gnabry or Müller. Choupo will probably be back for the second leg, but if we have to overturn a deficit I don't think it will matter.

Good games tonight but the real blockbuster game is tomorrow when two teams who have 16 (!!) European cups between them meet.
:lol:

Telsim

City will annihilate Bayern tonight. Benfica to beat Inter.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
City look scary strong. I fear this is their year and I don't think I will be able to say they did not deserve it.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Ultimately it all comes down to how well you can defend on Vini. Stop him and you stop us and we're very beatable. Failing that you don't have a chance
Well Chelsea do have James who is probably one of the only RB's in world football that can keep up with Vini. However, Chelsea are completely dysfunctional at the moment. I cannot see them scoring, nor keeping you out. I am predicting 2-0/3-0 Madrid.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
UK journalist asked Ancelotti at the CL press conference if he was sad Chelsea were not playing well and would he go back and help them out.

Honestly the state of sports journalism in the UK. That is cringy, pointless, reactionless and a complete waste of a question.
Do these guys get no training or are they just thick as pigshit.

Maybe he thought Ancelotti was going break down, confess his undying love for Chelsea and admit he was going to throw the game so Chelsea go through. :lol:

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Nah, they were playing well in CL and were cruising in the Real Madrid tie until they inexplicably bottled it.
That made it even funnier to be honest but cant deny they were in good form.

RedRocket9908

I think Benfica should beat Inter Milan tonight by a couple of goals, they have been scoring a lot in the Champions League this year.

GlasgowCeltic

these big CL nights call for a bit of Tyldsley on comms, that “Fletch” guy isn’t CL level

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Choupo being out for tonight is very bad for us.
We desperately need a new no. 9 for next season.

City are in great form, so im not very optimistic for tonight.