Champions League Round of 16 (12th Feb - 13th Mar)

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Ah shit 2-0. :( And Pogba looks shit against half decent opposition. No surprise to us non-Utd fans but I fear this might lead to no long term contract for Ole.

1-0 would have been enough. Sigh.
I'd like to see how you lot get one against one of the best teams in Europe.

Oh wait...

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
They're playing on par. They're just not playing Huddersfield.
Agreed, I don't see this as a bottlejob at all.

I think United have been tactically outdone and look lost in terms of a Plan B. PSG have shown quality when it matters.

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
Zaniolo scores for Roma. What a breakout season for him thus far.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
It's alright telling the lads to flood the box 'the United way' vs Gary and Minty from Huddersfield. Ole's true mettle will be tested now.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I'd like to see how you lot get one against one of the best teams in Europe.

Oh wait...
What drugs are you on? We played a better PSG than this weak side and won at home. They were a lot stronger in Paris. I would buy some underwear for your second leg when Neymar and Cavani are back.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
What drugs are you on? We played a better PSG than this weak side and won at home. They were a lot stronger in Paris. I would buy some underwear for your second leg when Neymar and Cavani are back.
I was about to say ... you should have won by a few goals at home, ran all over them for most of the game.

This PSG side really aren't all that (esp. without Neymar/Cavani), they struggled with Napoli too. This is just a really, really dead performance from United.

Not the end of the world and doesn't cancel out how fantastic Ole has done in the league, but still really terrible tonight.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Neymar & Cavani might not be back, but it doesn't really matter. United in 72 minutes have had one shot on target, and that was a shot/cross from Rashford that was a bit of a lash more than anything. United NEED to score this leg.

I actually want them to score & make the Paris leg interesting.

Zaniolo scores for Roma. What a breakout season for him thus far.
And another one :D

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Except they won't be back.

You lost to PSG, we are losing to PSG. Simple as that.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Nothing to be hugely ashamed of, PSG are very good, Tuchel is very good and it shows.

It's kind of a good thing Ole gets his first loss, we need to see how the team respond before making any big decisions about the future.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
The PSG fans are class to be fair. Even at Anfield when they were behind they were bouncing for 90 minutes.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Except they won't be back.

You lost to PSG, we are losing to PSG. Simple as that.
They beat PSG at home though? After completely outplaying them for most of the game .. and that was with their star players all available.

You're not just losing to PSG, they're toying with you and showboating in your own backyard. It's not really comparable to Liverpool losing to a full strength PSG team 2-1 in Paris.

You're definitely a lot better than this, it's really a hugely disappointing performance from you tonight. It's fair to say 'PSG are a top European side' but do you think United have been remotely close to their best? It's been totally flat.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Huge goal for Porto on the road. I think they will knock them out in Portugal.

Aboutreika18

In a strange way, Neymar and Cavani's absences has made PSG look like a more organised, cohesive unit overall, although they've obviously lacked the attacking threat the two bring.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I was about to say ... you should have won by a few goals at home, ran all over them for most of the game.

This PSG side really aren't all that (esp. without Neymar/Cavani), they struggled with Napoli too. This is just a really, really dead performance from United.

Not the end of the world and doesn't cancel out how fantastic Ole has done in the league, but still really terrible tonight.
You don't have to be so nice. Ole is being found out here.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
In a strange way, Neymar and Cavani's absences has made PSG look like a more organised, cohesive unit overall, although they've obviously lacked the attacking threat the two bring.
PSG concede more goals with Neymar on the field. Not sure about Cavani :D

Kapardin

They beat PSG at home though? After completely outplaying them for most of the game .. and that was with their star players all available.

You're not just losing to PSG, they're toying with you and showboating in your own backyard. It's not really comparable to Liverpool losing to a full strength PSG team 2-1 in Paris.

You're definitely a lot better than this, it's really a hugely disappointing performance from you tonight. It's fair to say 'PSG are a top European side' but do you think United have been remotely close to their best? It's been totally flat.
Liverpool have a better defense and better FBs in general as well as a productive RW who can score and not merely make movements/pacy runs. We could beat them at OT, but they still have a better starting XI than us bar de Gea and Pogba.

And more importantly, it is quite possible to beat any top team in the group stages -- look at our result in Turin. Not comparable to the mentality of the teams in the knock-outs.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool

The other time they came up against a good side (Spurs) they put in a similar performance to this, but had the rub of the green. Under 1 xG that day too I believe. 9/10 times I'm convinced that game finishes 3-1 Tottenham.

Think a rebuild is still required at Manchester United, and this new manager bounce will soon dissipate.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Liverpool have a better defense and better FBs in general as well as a productive RW who can score and not merely make movements/pacy runs. We could beat them at OT, but they still have a better starting XI than us bar de Gea and Pogba.

And more importantly, it is quite possible to beat any top team in the group stages -- look at our result in Turin. Not comparable to the mentality of the teams in the knock-outs.
True, I agree they have a better squad overall, but certainly I think United are capable of far better than they've shown tonight. There's no excuse for how little Buffon has been tested when you're at home.

You got dicked in Turin and walked away with 3 points on a total fluke. It's not the same as Liverpool outplaying PSG. Yeah the knockout mentality is different but it doesn't account for how blunt and clueless United have appeared tonight against a well organised defence.

Josh 76

How can you compare other teams performances against PSG and Utds today.
It's like saying Utd would smash Red Star Belgrade away, but Liverpool got battered by them in Belgrade. What conclusion would you get from that?

El-Buitre

Supports
Real Madrid
Pathetic performance from Man Utd tonight I was expecting way better against a PSG 'B' team.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
The other time they came up against a good side (Spurs) they put in a similar performance to this, but had the rub of the green. Under 1 xG that day too I believe. 9/10 times I'm convinced that game finishes 3-1 Tottenham.

Think a rebuild is still required at Manchester United, and this new manager bounce will soon dissipate.
Yeah, United fans didn't want to accept this but we really shouldn't have lost that game at Wembley. They got lucky in the sense that we were totally inept in terms of finishing that day, did everything right in an attacking sense aside from putting the ball in the back of the net. I didn't think at the time that it was a great United performance, but still they were at least a threat in that game, tonight has been genuinely woeful.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
How can you compare other teams performances against PSG and Utds today.
It's like saying Utd would smash Red Star Belgrade away, but Liverpool got battered by them in Belgrade. What conclusion would you get from that?
Because a United fan said 'I'd like to see how Liverpool would do against a top side in Europe' when Liverpool already played and beat the same side United are facing tonight.

Kapardin

True, I agree they have a better squad overall, but certainly I think United are capable of far better than they've shown tonight. There's no excuse for how little Buffon has been tested when you're at home.

You got dicked in Turin and walked away with 3 points on a total fluke. It's not the same as Liverpool outplaying PSG. Yeah the knockout mentality is different but it doesn't account for how blunt and clueless United have appeared tonight against a well organised defence.
It has to do with Martial and Rashford having bad games, and Pogba being marked out. When that happens, literally no-one in our team steps up to take the goal-scoring burden on themselves.

Likes of Lingard, Mata and Sanchez rarely score. Lukaku used to, but now he's one among them. What is even the point of these "attackers"? For sure, Lingard's runs help the team but we need to get a RW who also scores.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Can't see United getting through without Pogba in the second leg.

Josh 76

Because a United fan said 'I'd like to see how Liverpool would do against a top side in Europe' when Liverpool already played and beat the same side United are facing tonight.
Jeez.
Don't be late for school tomorrow.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
We couldn't do better with the entire attack injured and playing with the leftovers of the scraps :lol:
Fernando Andrade, Adrián, Hernani and André Pereira in a CL knockout game :lol:

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

What did you expect really? United haven't been mainstay of UCL since 2013. Everyone knows that quality is just not there to compete against European elite. The players we have are good enough for a decent season in the league but not the CL.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
It was an easy game for PSG,wich frankly surprised me. They outplayed United totally, especially in the second half.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
What did you expect really? United haven't been mainstay of UCL since 2013. Everyone knows that quality is just not there to compete against European elite. The players we have are good enough for a decent season in the league but not the CL.
I dunno, maybe at home to force Buffon in to a save? PSG weren't even at full strength tonight and were missing two of their best players.

I don't think anybody expects United to win the CL or even beat PSG, but the idea you don't have the quality to even make a home game competitive is just wrong imo. Tonight was just far too easy for them, they won't ever have a more comfortable game away from home in a CL knockout tie. They looked very organised and disciplined and United simply had no answer to that.