Champions League Round of 16 (14th Feb - 15th Mar)

Devil81

I'd take a fair few of the Monaco players from the games I've seen this season.

Mbappe, Lemar, Bakayoko & the two full backs.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Think he'd be a decent fit at Arsenal? Seems to be the second most mentioned name after Allegri.
I think so. That's precisely where i'd put him to thrive and it would be a good challenge. But the rumours regarding Allegri taking over have been strong

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
The first half was a great showcase of tactical nuance.

Monaco prevented Manchester City from building up through the centre and they used their full backs and wingers. They used the strikers and wingers to man mark the cbs and full backs then when the fbs carried the ball up from wide the central midfielder covered them. They could do this effectvely because the team is very athletic. Manchester City only had Leroy Sane to match. They also let Kolarov have the ball because he lacks composure. It worked time and time again and they used the channels to great effect because City players where wide so when they were counter pressed, their defesive structure was almost non existent.

For thopse that don't understand the importance of the build up I will explain. Lord Cruijff always said that passing to the side backs was terrible for the build up because you have less options as you have access to half the pitch and theoritically half the options as you are at the edge of the field. This means that the build up will not be as clean and it's harder to acces the third man. Through the centre, you have more passing options as you have a 180/360 degree view/access so there are more passing angles/options available. Monaco forced the central city players wide and punished them on the counter and they were able to create overloads on the flanks.

In the second half, they could not keep up the intensity in their defsive phase and their lack of horizontal and vertical compactness meant that City had more space between the lines and had greater access to the centre and their build up improved and they were able to accaess the flanks and they now gained 3 vs 1 and 2 vs 1 numerical superiority on the flanks. Monaco had a 2 vs 3 disadvantage in midfield but because they forced the game wide that never bothered them in the first half but in the second half as they could not cover thse ame ground, the numbers eventually won out for City. THey registered 0 shots in the first half but created enough chances to draw the game and even win at 2-1. Jardim needs to train his team to be more compact and to cut off passing oprions the way Atletico do so effectively.

They were pressing disjointedly and they left so many gaps. Even when they had men back they were disorganised.

Aguero was a failure in the only elite aspect he had as a claim to fame. Manchester City need to get rid of their full backs and get aother striker.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Monaco got lucky at the end, Jardim made the same mistake of the first leg and waited too long before adding Moutinho to the midfield. City had like 10 chances before they ended up scoring.

The quarters look amazing. There are some great storylines and lot of quality match ups possible. Barça, Dortmund, Leicester and Monaco don't look like CL winning sides due to their defense but hopefully they provide some entertainment

Skills

Snitch
Teams left

Madrid
Bayern
Dortmund
Barcelona
Juventus
Leicester
Monaco
Atletico

Bayern - Barcelona
Leicester - Monaco
Juventus - Atletico
Madrid - Dortmund

Please

wr8_utd

:'(
Monaco got lucky at the end, Jardim made the same mistake of the first leg and waited too long before adding Moutinho to the midfield. City had like 10 chances before they ended up scoring.

The quarters look amazing. There are some great storylines and lot of quality match ups possible. Barça, Dortmund, Leicester and Monaco don't look like CL winning sides due to their defense but hopefully they provide some entertainment
This. I have no idea how he didn't bring him on sooner. From the start of the second half it was obvious a City goal is inevitable and he did nothing about it.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
City picked it up in the second as I expected. Came out a different team. But the damage was done. Defensively they are very poor though.

wr8_utd

:'(
Teams left

Madrid
Bayern
Dortmund
Barcelona
Juventus
Leicester
Monaco
Atletico

Bayern - Barcelona
Leicester - Monaco
Juventus - Atletico
Madrid - Dortmund

Please
I'll be shocked if Bayern, Barca and Madrid were allowed to face each other before the semis.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
At this rate, the crude oil money is going back to palmas and camels pretty soon.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
As always, I hope for Real-Barca or Real-Atletico next. Let the feckers take care of themselves.

Claude Makélélé

So Leicester is the only Premier League club left in the last 8? So disgusting when comparing to 2000s.

If City, Spurs and Arsenal are all going to represent England in Champions League during the next 3 or 4 years, Seri A (and probably League 1) will surely surpass Premier League on UEFA association coefficient ranking. They just have no winning mentally in Champions League.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

He really needs to improve his game management and he should rotate more often too.

Devil81

At this rate, the crude oil money is going back to palmas and camels pretty soon.
Lol!

Victory for football, PSG and City falling at the first hurdle again!!!

fecking hate the fake plastic clubs, hope they never win a European trophy.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
So Leicester is the only Premier League club left in the last 8? So disgusting when comparing to 2000s.

If City, Spurs and Arsenal are all going to represent England in Champions League during the next 3 or 4 years, Seri A (and probably League 1) will surely surpass Premier League on UEFA associacoefficient ranking. They just have no winning mentally in Champions League.
Time to setup the Brexit Champions League

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Monaco’s form at home across all competitions this season: 75 goals scored, 21 wins, 2 draws, 1 defeat :drool:

Devil81

If City, Spurs and Arsenal are all going to represent England in Champions League during the next 3 or 4 years, Seri A (and probably League 1) will surely surpass Premier League on UEFA association coefficient ranking. They just have no winning mentally in Champions League.
We're on our way back, don't you worry. I'd bet my house on us winning another Champions league before City or PSG.

Aboutreika18

There was a game against Dijon back in November(?) where they were leading 1-0 and he brought on Bakayoko and switched to three in midfield and they ended up conceding a late equaliser.

Since then, Jardim seems reluctant to switch to a move defensive approach this season.

Ludens the Red

Ha. Coefficients . Doesn't matter anymore mate. UEFA crumbled to Italian club pressure now all the big leagues get guaranteed top 4 no matter what.
Also there's also 1 ligue one and one serie a side left in the cl. Those countries aren't exactly shooting up the wall in Europe either. Not that it matters anyway.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Bayern-Barca
Real-Atletico
Juve-Dortmund
Monaco-Leicester
:devil:

diarm

What's he saying? Let me guess. The game is in crisis etc.
Ah it was the usual bollocks. Trying to say something overly harsh and outrageous so he can feel relevant somehow but it was the way he was saying it.

Slurring his speech like he was either having a stroke or has a bottle of whisky under the desk.

Eddy_JukeZ

Want I want to see

Real Madrid vs Leicester
Barcelona vs Monaco
Dortmund vs Atletico
Bayern vs Juventus

MullerUtd

If Sevilla didn't bottle it against Leicester, this would surely go down as one of the strongest quarter-finals in recent years.

I would love to see:

Juventus vs Dortmund
Leicester vs Bayern Munich
Atletico Madrid vs Real Madrid
Barcelona vs Monaco

Don't mean to sound like an elitist but I'd love to see a semi-final with all the European giants:

Juventus vs Real Madrid
Barcelona vs Bayern Munich

Final: Real Madrid vs Bayern Munich

Will Real Madrid become the first club in history to retain the Champions League or will Ancelotti become the first manager to win it with 3 different football clubs? :drool:

What a classic.

UEFA, make this happen!