Champions League Round of 16 (16th Feb - 17th Mar)

Deery

Dreary
I just love Haaland what a player the drive, the desire, the finishing, just a pure class footballers footballer...

wr8_utd

:'(
They got brushed aside like a dirty rag by Bayern, could barely get out of their half against us and needed some serious luck and oblak heroics against both barcelona and sevilla

They are not a great side
This. Them being top of a very very poor Top 4 in Liga this year is making them look better than they are. They don't even look that defensively solid now.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I agree that they struggle when the opposition sit back but also when the opposition pressure their midfield and counter quickly, I didn't see that pressure from Sevilla as they seemed slow off the ball.
I don't really know much about Sevilla, but I assume playing a bunch of 33 year olds like Papu Gomez, Rakitic and Fernando, as well as 35 year old Navas restricts their ability to relentlessly apply pressure.
Dortmund, for once, also got their pressing game mostly right. It's also not exactly ar rout, both teams scored their long shot goal, Dortmund had like 3-5 good transitions and converted two of them. Reus getting control of the ball before the 1-3 was also a bit fortunate. This could easily shift in the 2nd half.

MU655

Juventus have an average age of 28. Seriously, they need to start bringing through some younger players. They will be fossilised soon.

Dudu

Juve have been terrible. Absolutely dreadful.

Ronaldo having to drop deeper and deeper to even get a touch.

Rustyspider13

Just tuned in to see Juve conceded in the first minute of the first half, now they've conceded in the first minute of the second half. And I thought we start games badly.

wr8_utd

Juve might not be quite as bad as Barca because their defense is a bit more competent but they're not far off in the levels of being crap.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
Wtf was Juves defence doing there, so many players in the box but everyone just watchhing .That looked horrible.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
How Pirlo started this second half without making any changes at half time is insane, they've been so bad and he didn't change anything. And they concede in the first minute too :lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I don't really know much about Sevilla, but I assume playing a bunch of 33 year olds like Papu Gomez, Rakitic and Fernando, as well as 35 year old Navas restricts their ability to relentlessly apply pressure.
Dortmund, for once, also got their pressing game mostly right. It's also not exactly ar rout, both teams scored their long shot goal, Dortmund had like 3-5 good transitions and converted two of them. Reus getting control of the ball before the 1-3 was also a bit fortunate. This could easily shift in the 2nd half.
Papu comes from atalanta, he can press and run and sprint like there's no tomorrow just fine

Sevilla just play at this pace

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Haaland looks so bizarre when he runs because of his size but feck me, he's quality.

wr8_utd

Ronaldo and Messi really do deserve better teams to end their careers at.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
How Pirlo started this second half without making any changes at half time is insane, they've been so bad and he didn't change anything. And they concede in the first minute too :lol:
These are some Barca-esque eff ups they've been conceding, uncharacteristic of Juventus so far.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Ronaldo and Messi really do deserve better teams to end their careers at.
Agreed, at last Ronaldo still has a competent defense behind but today has been WTF from their backline.

Dudu

Pirlo's Juve somehow looks worse than Sarri's Juve.

abundance

Supports
Inter
His acceleration over 10 yards is impressive given his size. Not something that is often seen.
he's also almost impossible to push or dispossess, and that's not only because of his size and power, his ball protection skills are very mature for his age

Deery

Dreary
Porto look the better managed side, just goes to show what a better manager can do.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Something perhaps worth pointing out is that Sevilla fouled just twice in the first half. Everyone knows how dangerous Dortmund can be in transitions, so most teams just pull an early foul, often not even resulting in a yellow card, when they realize their "Gegenpressing" has been broken. Sevilla didn't, they ate the counter attacks and got punished.
The game is beginning to get quite lopsided now though. Sevilla aren't particularly threatening yet, but Dortmund barely keep the ball and don't threaten on the counter. It's only a matter of time until this gets punished.

Last edited:

Hoof the ball

Haaland looks like a Jojo's Bizarre Adventure character when he's in full sprint. The only way it's possible to cover that much ground that fast is if you actually do have a stand.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Sevilla are getting stronger now. If Terzic doesn't make a change, they will soon score and be back in it

MattofManchester

Can see why Dortmund have been as poor as they have been. Second half and they can barely pass a ball 5 yards.