Champions League Round of 16 (18th Feb - 8th Aug)

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Liverpool showed again what a avarage team they really are. Couldnt even get a shot on target against Athletico..

”Best club side ever” ...Yeah right haha!

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Put some respect on Simeone's name....better manager than Klopp. Much worse squad than Liverpool out there today and outplayed them. Felt he got everything spot on.
Simeone is a pure cnut but he is great at what he does which is play organised boring defensive football.
A few of the atletico players celebrating at the end like they’re thru - best put your cocks away lads, it’s only half time.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Barca didn't shit the bed, they also destroyed us. Losing away games is as predictable for LFC as getting to CL finals for LFC. It's a curse. I think. :cool:
Being 3-0 ahead in a CL semi-final with 20-odd minutes remaining, only to concede 4 times in a matter of minutes is the very definition of the slang term 'shit the bed'.

And if it isn't, it should be.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

He's a terminator.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Simeone is a pure cnut but he is great at what he does which is play organised boring defensive football.
A few of the atletico players celebrating at the end like they’re thru - best put your cocks away lads, it’s only half time.
I asked one of the posters here a few days ago if he thought 1-0 win was job done for Simeone. Or job done for Klopp. I don't think either team can celebrate this result if they have ever watched Champions League football in the near past.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
There is nothing like CL knockout football. Every year it's so ridiculously entertaining

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
I asked one of the posters here a few days ago if he thought 1-0 win was job done for Simeone. Or job done for Klopp. I don't think either team can celebrate this result if they have ever watched Champions League football in the near past.
Yep if there is such a thing as a neutral perspective for the 2nd leg, it probably couldn’t be better poised.

TheReligion

Abusive
I mean he wasn’t on the bench and is injured as far as I’m aware, it’s more the general point that that’s the type of quality we needed and type of player in this kind of game. One of our strengths is we have a good cameo players off the bench if used right when we’re really up against it. Today we used none and none correctly. Keita has just come back himself but he’s been very good every time he’s played he just can’t stay fit at all, that kind of drive and penetration is what we needed to link the midfield and attackers who were completely isolated.

I can accept the midfield that started in terms of going for solidity but come 50 or so mins a more progressive sub was needed. Really was baffling sub wise tonight can’t get my head around it.

Atletico won’t make the same mistakes as Barca but if we play to our maximum we can get a result. It’s going to be extremely tough though.
You definitely needed a plan B tonight. I just felt they were very comfortable letting you have the ball as they knew it would just go wide and then a cross into the box which they'd deal with. Someone running past their man in the central areas would have helped as you say.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Let's be honest you're not the greatest club team ever. Only a fool would think that.
Stats haven't finished yet. Another one that might get added to that: PL won before second leg of first knockout stage in the CL. Haha, what the actual feck. :lol:

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Some incredible hubris amongst liverpool players manager and fans right now.

'JUST WAIT TILL THEY COME TO ANFIELD LA'

The whole lot of them need bringing down a peg or two. Its why everyone except liverpool fans can't stand them. Everything they do is 'special'

Special fans, special songs, special nights at Anfield, special managers, special sense of humour, special full kit wankers.

Going to be glorious when this side starts to fade as all sides do and they come back down with a massive bump

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Let's be honest you're not the greatest club team ever. Only a fool would think that.
He's wrong anyway, the general consensus of r/soccer, which is one of the biggest collection of football based supporters following a variety of teams, doesn't believe they are one of the greatest ever. Besides, Dumbstar is the biggest WUM on the forum, he's very self aware and knows how to get under everyone's skin here.

MikeeMike

For me , Klopp seemed more angry that they lost the game rather than the result. I can see Liverpool easily turning this around with and early goal.

TheReligion

Abusive
He's wrong anyway, the general consensus of r/soccer, which is one of the biggest collection of football based supporters following a variety of teams, doesn't believe they are one of the greatest ever. Besides, Dumbstar is the biggest WUM on the forum, he's very self aware and knows how to get under everyone's skin here.
I don't need a sub Reddit gaggle of gobshites to tell me what my own two eyes can see.

kidbob

Stats haven't finished yet. Another one that might get added to that: PL won before second leg of first knockout stage in the CL. Haha, what the actual feck. :lol:
You're an exceptional side no doubt but do you honestly beat 09-2011 Barca in a one off game with both teams at their best? That's what being the 'best club team ever' entails. Remember that that Barca team also destroyed Leagues and won a treble too. So honestly as a fan of football are you as good as they were?

Edit: because as a United fan none of our teams were as good as them and not as good as other teams that came before. Without Liverpool hatred I honestly think you have a case for being the 'best' PL side but I don't know if you are as good as Chelsea 05, United 07-08, 99 or Arsenal Invincibles. I know for a fact that the 09-11 Barca team is better than all those sides.

Gasolin

You're winning the PL the way you are thanks to a combination of functionality and great individual quality honestly. The problem here is your type of individual quality is not the right type of individual quality to break down atletico's defence. You just don't have truly great dribblers

That's the level of refs outside of England, where refs think they're officiating a rugby game more often than not
Haha your last comment made me laugh. Anyway, we need United back in that mix, that Liverpool team is just too functional and that's about it. The league is theirs but I would be surprised if they can do anything spectacular at Anfield, but one goal is not that bad.

Wayne's World

Some incredible hubris amongst liverpool players manager and fans right now.

'JUST WAIT TILL THEY COME TO ANFIELD LA'

The whole lot of them need bringing down a peg or two. Its why everyone except liverpool fans can't stand them. Everything they do is 'special'

Special fans, special songs, special nights at Anfield, special managers, special sense of humour, special full kit wankers.

Going to be glorious when this side starts to fade as all sides do and they come back down with a massive bump
Special night for Atletico waits perhaps...:drool:

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Juventus did beat Atletico 3-0 last season, so it can be done. But the problem Liverpool have is that none of their forwards provide anywhere near the aerial threat Ronaldo does.

Juventus just spammed crosses and hoped Ronaldo would connect with a few, which he did, because Ronaldo is the greatest aerial threat in the history of football. He's the only player who I've seen that has regularly bullied Juventus and Atletico Madrid's central defenders.

Liverpool will have to play their way through Atletico to win.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
:lol:

They are, but neither is the kind of dribbler that can beat multiple defenders and break down their structure. Which means you're in the same boat we are, pumping balls into the box and hoping one of your guys gets it and scores
To be fair that's how Atletico have been getting knocked out of the Champions League year after year. Not through dribbling.

Gasolin

Juventus did beat Atletico 3-0 last season, so it can be done. But the problem Liverpool have is that none of their forwards provide anywhere near the aerial threat Ronaldo does.

Juventus just spammed crosses and hoped Ronaldo would connect with a few, which he did, because Ronaldo is the greatest aerial threat in the history of football. He's the only player who I've seen that has regularly bullied Juventus and Atletico Madrid's central defenders.

Liverpool will have to play their way through Atletico to win.
It's football, anything is possible. I see Athletico has to meet Villareal, Espanyol and Sevilla. They are 4th with 40 pts at 24 games, nothing crazy in the league. They might just get enough for the CL positions, no idea.

Liverpool has to play West Ham, Watford, Chelsea in the FA cup and Bournemouth. On paper, it could be feasible, but the FA cup may be the little issue to come back and win, despite playing at home for the 2nd leg.

Well, I certainly hope they don't make it! The league is lost so no point int granting them a good time in the CL anyway.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona

They are, but neither is the kind of dribbler that can beat multiple defenders and break down their structure. Which means you're in the same boat we are, pumping balls into the box and hoping one of your guys gets it and scores
These kind of players (Messi, Neymar, R9, Maradona) are so incredibly rare, that is why they are invaluable.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Will Gimenez be back for the second leg? Savic-Felipe will 100% crumble at Anfield, they need Gimenez

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Shocking ref, one of the worst. Good luck at Anfield Atletico 1-0 won't be enough. Hell awaits.

"Hell awaits".:lol: Liverpool really do overrate their precious atmosphere. Would be funny as feck if Atletico shithouse their way to a 0-0.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
What about this stat? Shittest PL in history
Yeah, not sure the stat sites are doing that one. This may have to be etched in to Utd fans' brains with a blunt knife. Just to be sure it doesn't get lost. :)

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yeah, not sure the stat sites are doing that one. This may have to be etched in to Utd fans' brains with a blunt knife. Just to be sure it doesn't get lost. :)
Good job we aren't on a stats site. Not really sure what the other bit means but it sounds sufficiently bitter scouse for my liking.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
To be fair that's how Atletico have been getting knocked out of the Champions League year after year. Not through dribbling.
They've been getting eliminated by the team with Cristiano Ronaldo -arguably the best poacher ever- on it. Besides, Di Maria in 2014 and hilariously Bernardeschi last season were the guys who really gave them hell, both because of their dribbling

Otherwise they went out to chelsea in the group stage when they couldn't cope with Hazard(and more importantly couldn't beat qarabag)

But sure, you don't necessarily need dribbling to beat them. You just need to be superclinical with the few chances you get and keep them from scoring. They're the masters of looking like they're getting battered without actually giving up chances

These kind of players (Messi, Neymar, R9, Maradona) are so incredibly rare, that is why they are invaluable.
They got shredded by Douglas Costa in '16 and Bernardeschi last season...

In all the years under Simeone the only team that really systematically broke them down was Bayern in '16 and they did it through a combination of dribbling, physicality and tempo

padr81

Supports
Man City
Good point but Liverpool don't have a CR7 or striker capable of bullying Atletico's defenders. I think Liverpool will get there in the end because they'll overwhelm them off the ball and pin them in at Anfield and get at least 2. But they can't use a TAA and Robertson crossing for heads like Juve/Real could. Ronaldo is a phenomenon in the air and regularly swats aside guys like Godin and Chiellini as if they are flies.

thepolice123

They've been getting eliminated by the team with Cristiano Ronaldo -arguably the best poacher ever- on it. Besides, Di Maria in 2014 and hilariously Bernardeschi last season were the guys who really gave them hell, both because of their dribbling

Otherwise they went out to chelsea in the group stage when they couldn't cope with Hazard(and more importantly couldn't beat qarabag)

But sure, you don't necessarily need dribbling to beat them. You just need to be superclinical with the few chances you get and keep them from scoring. They're the masters of looking like they're getting battered without actually giving up chances

They got shredded by Douglas Costa in '16 and Bernardeschi last season...

In all the years under Simeone the only team that really systematically broke them down was Bayern in '16 and they did it through a combination of dribbling, physicality and tempo
And Ferran Torres at the previous game against Valencia. Literally tore them a new one. :lol:

That said I don't think its mainly about dribbling but rather having attackers who can work the flanks and create chances from there. Altetico are very compact in the central areas, the downside is that they tend to concede space on the flanks which present opportunities for wingers to shine. Mane and Salah are very good dribblers but Liverpool's current set-up requires them to be in the box. Their current twin striker formation plays very nicely into Altetico's hands. Throughout Salah is battling long balls with Lodi and Savic. Firmino in the false #9 struggled to find space. Way too easy for them.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This thread is a reason to be grateful for Liverpool fans' imminent banning from the caf.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Being 3-0 ahead in a CL semi-final with 20-odd minutes remaining, only to concede 4 times in a matter of minutes is the very definition of the slang term 'shit the bed'.

And if it isn't, it should be.
In what world were Barca 3-0 ahead with twenty minutes?! Did you watch the second leg? Barca shit the bed but they were never up 3-0 with 20 minutes left.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I can understand the giddiness at Liverpool losing. It makes sense. It’s almost like a win for united. You lot need something, anything to cling to. I felt the same way in the mid 2000s when united got knocked out by PORTO. Then it was MILAN over united the next season. Made my seasons back then.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Hey man I get it...you guys will finally catch Leicester City in total premier league titles won. This is huge for you guys! I mean think about it..it only took you 30 (!) years! Based on stats alone there is a better chance you win your second EPL in 30 years Instead of 5.

Nonetheless I just want to be the first to congratulate you lot on catching Leicester City because that on its own is a feat to be proud of! You guys finally did it after 30 years!! More 6th and 7th place finishes then top 2 finishes in 30 years, NOW THAT is a hell of a stat.