Champions League Round of 16 (18th Feb - 8th Aug)

padr81

Supports
Man City
I cant imagine Atletico going through. It's a miracle they scored in the tie at all. Liverpool will annihalate em at Anfield.
I think so too, but if they do get through they are the type of team that would give us huge problems (as of course are Liverpool). I actually think this years CL is wide open.

mu4c_20le

He didn't. I can't believe i have to point this out to someone who saw the play. He's running, tries to go behind to avoid a collision and unfortunately gets too close and clips his leg

yeah, he's trying to avoid a collision right here.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

yeah, he's trying to avoid a collision right here.
Yes, he is. Look at the video

Btw, the arm isn't the foul. The foul is right leg on right leg

Can't believe i'm having to explain this :houllier:

mu4c_20le

Strange, every pundit thinks the foul is from the arm pull. You are the only one looking at the legs.

Fts 74

I don't think Liverpool will hammer athletico, I wouldn't be surprised if it ended 0-0 or 1-1

thepolice123

Gabriel right leg - Ramos right leg

That's the contact
Tbf there was very minimal contact to call it a clip. But I have seen Ramos do this plenty of times when he tries to chase the attacker. He grabs them by the shoulder and does a very subtle leg clip, attacker goes down and its the standard arms wide open posture. About time he gets punished.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
I cant imagine Atletico going through. It's a miracle they scored in the tie at all. Liverpool will annihilate em at Anfield.
If they get an away goal we're out. I can't see us scoring more than two against them they rarely concede more than 2 goals against anyone, we'd have to win 2-0 at least, looks like we'll be facing a stronger Atletico next time too with Felix, Gimenez & Costa back in the team.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

There's a very intentional foul with his left hand pulling the attacker's right shoulder. It's amazing how most people are missing it. Without it there would be plausible deniability but there isn't.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Eeeeeh...yeah. although gabriel jesus is really good in his goal, great move to shake off sergio

Ultimately, we made far too many mistakes. And we're toothless in attack if Benzema isn't on song

This team needs serious injections of attacking quality and depth
That's exactly my view.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Seemed a fairly reasonable red card to me. Clear goal scoring opportunity, clear contact and you could definitely argue it was deliberate too. Jesus went down easily but that doesn't stop it being a foul.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
There's a very intentional foul with his left hand pulling the attacker's right shoulder. It's amazing how most people are missing it. Without it there would be plausible deniability but there isn't.
So do you think the first goal should have been disallowed then?

shahzy

That looked a pretty clear red card for Ramos I thought. Surprised so many think it was harsh
Yeh that's a red everyday of the week in the CL. Jesus did what he had to do in Europe. Get ahead of the player, then fall down at the slightest contact.

Yeh sure that's no where near enough to actually make a grown man fall down, but like it or not, footballs got gamesmanship involved, you're waiting for the slightest bit of contact because you know if you go down, the other player is done for

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Eeeeeh...yeah. although gabriel jesus is really good in his goal, great move to shake off sergio

Ultimately, we made far too many mistakes. And we're toothless in attack if Benzema isn't on song

This team needs serious injections of attacking quality and depth
I would have played more or less like that. I liked the pressure.
Maybe I would have used Kroos instead of Bale in that subtitution but it's easy to say now.

In summer, we need real players as you say, but I don't know to what extent they are willing to do that while he keeps signing Brazilians, which can be in the line-up in the most important match of the season, disappear from the squad several weeks or end up playing in Segunda B.
I have no idea what can think Zizou tomorrow.

For the moment we'll see if he at least uses Jovic or even Mariano

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
WHAT'S UP GUYS IT'S JEFF CAVALIERE ATHLEAN X DOT COM.
Worth clicking on his videos for a comment section full of imaginative ways Jeff organises his life to avoid muscle imbalances.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Hardly enough to wrinkle his shirt. There was no push nor did he grab him. That's not a foul. That's a dive.
When you are in full speed little slight push in the back can make that you lose balance. And after that your chances to score are damaged. Because of illegal move. Some players will try to stay on the feet and score goal( Rashford, Martial) and some will not. Personally if i am the coach i would give advice to players to go down in those situations. Ramos did made a contact without being near the ball. Slight contact but he did.

Utdstar01

How badly do Juve have to play for Sarri to lose his job there? Seriously, they have the opportunity of a lifetime in having the best striker in the world in their team whos coming to the end of his career and they've hired a complete bum in Sarri as coach.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Come on guys, if that was against us you'd be livid if we got a red.
It's one of those things that alwasy gets called but none of us want that to be a foul. Slight touch, player only thinks about going down immediately. No one is telling me that Jesus went down because of Ramos, ergo he dived on purpose but for some reason, despite having VAR now, we accept going down like this as a part of football.

Teja

Hindsight is all good but shows how overrated this Madrid side is.
They got rid of CR7 way too early and it's looking like a bad move for both sides.

Anyway after 3 years of such dominance, a couple of years of rebuilding is fair play. They're shit now but have Vinicius, Rodrygo, Odegaard all coming through.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
It's one of those things that alwasy gets called but none of us want that to be a foul. Slight touch, player only thinks about going down immediately. No one is telling me that Jesus went down because of Ramos, ergo he dived on purpose but for some reason, despite having VAR now, we accept going down like this as a part of football.
when a player is running at that pace a little clip is good enough for him to lose balance. A foul is a foul and how can you tell the player is doing it on purpose?

Edit
Just watch the replay in slow motion. Ramos grabbed his arm, clip his leg, but it is still a dive?

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
I personally thought the red card AND the penalty were pretty soft tbh. The pen is one of those classic "attacker kicks the ball then throws themself forward over an oncoming sliding defender" things.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
I personally thought the red card AND the penalty were pretty soft tbh. The pen is one of those classic "attacker kicks the ball then throws themself forward over an oncoming sliding defender" things.
If you catch the attacker because he nudged the ball away from where you were expecting it to be, it's your fault and it's a foul. For me this scenario is always clear cut.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
when a player is running at that pace a little clip is good enough for him to lose balance. A foul is a foul and how can you tell the player is doing it on purpose?

Edit
Just watch the replay in slow motion. Ramos grabbed his arm, clip his leg, but it is still a dive?
Look at it again how he goes down. He's not losing balance, he's purposely going down. He's practically doing a starfish dive.

Like I said, this always gets called a foul becaus as soon as a footballer touched another player with his hand (asides from set pieces) it's an automatic foul. Attacker loses the ball, touches the defender, the defender throws himself to the ground and gets a foul. The players know this, that's why they go down like that. Accepted part of football and it's something I don't like. Football could look into other sports like handball and take positive rule changes from that sport but the governing bodies of football are more conservative than the Republican party.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Look at it again how he goes down. He's not losing balance, he's purposely going down. He's practically doing a starfish dive.

Like I said, this always gets called a foul becaus as soon as a footballer touched another player with his hand (asides from set pieces) it's an automatic foul. Attacker loses the ball, touches the defender, the defender throws himself to the ground and gets a foul. The players know this, that's why they go down like that. Accepted part of football and it's something I don't like. Football could look into other sports like handball and take positive rule changes from that sport but the governing bodies of football are more conservative than the Republican party.
so next time the ref probably needs to spend an hour to argue if the "contact" is strong enough to make the player lose balance. The players probably need to have pressure sensors all over their body to help the ref to make the judge too.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Ramos is now the player with more cards and more sendings off in the history of Madrid, la liga and the champions league/European cup.
Thank you captain for keep bringing records

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
If you catch the attacker because he nudged the ball away from where you were expecting it to be, it's your fault and it's a foul. For me this scenario is always clear cut.
That depends on whether the contact was there and if said contact only happens because the forward drags his leg or throws himself into the defender. I just think this particular one was soft.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Where is 60£ million Jovic? Real miss Ronaldo’s CL goals badly this season thats for sure