Champions League Round of 16 (18th Feb - 8th Aug)

Blackwidow

Pavard is apparently out for the rest of the season, i.e., the CL. Most likely means Kimmich won't be available at DM for our preferred midfield setup in the CL tournament.
I expect Flick to play an extra central defender on the position. The right side can live without an offensive fullback especially in a one leg knockout tournament - but Pavard would be missed especially at set-pieces. Pavard was great in giving defensive cover to that right side of the pitch so even Kimmich could wander forward a lot.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Not that this is relevant to what anyone else is discussing, a video of Atleti knocking Liverpool out of the Champions League just popped up on my social media and now I'm all in for Atleti winning it this season. :lol: Simeone really saved us. You got these Liverpool players posing with trophies they won in different seasons, imagine they actually had managed to win the Premier League and Champions League this year. :houllier: Thank God for Atleti's anti-football. I'll be rooting for them every round onwards from here.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Why is Ramos included... he's suspended :confused:
The explanation after the asterisk says: "the captain travels with the team in spite he won't be able to play in Manchester".

It's pure propaganda to confuse the enemy.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Marco #Verratti almost forfeit for the match against #Atalanta . The player was injured yesterday in training during a collision with another player. The Italian had tests today which revealed a calf injury.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I am looking forward to the match. Without Ramos it will be difficult, it is also rumored that Benzema has pain in his shoulder and Hazard with his ankle. I'd say they'll go with 4 in the middle.
I think our options go through the lack of rhythm after this break.
Madrid have been playing seriously for la liga for a while, but that would require a big difference in intensity that I don't know if they will achieve.
I wonder what Zidane will do, maybe something different like that high pressure he used at Camp Nou.

Silverman

Not that this is relevant to what anyone else is discussing, a video of Atleti knocking Liverpool out of the Champions League just popped up on my social media and now I'm all in for Atleti winning it this season. :lol: Simeone really saved us. You got these Liverpool players posing with trophies they won in different seasons, imagine they actually had managed to win the Premier League and Champions League this year. :houllier: Thank God for Atleti's anti-football. I'll be rooting for them every round onwards from here.
I agree. Atletico get a very unfair rap. I have absolutely no problem with their 'anti' football. If it suits them best then go for it.

Paul_Scholes18

City got a weak defense so Madrid have a chance. Nerves might come for City as well. They know they have never won it.
I don't trust Madrid to take it though. Just not sure they have enough goals in them.

Bole Top

I will watch Juve. both teams were fairly bad in first game, especially Lyon who managed to score somehow, but looked limited and simply couldn't keep the ball. they will have about 30% possession again, sit deep and try to counter but this time Depay will play which could make things interesting. Juve will be without Dybala, but at least De Ligt is back. I'm certain Juve will beat them quite easily, I'm just hoping it will be convincing enough for someone to score hattrick as I placed a bet on that. predictions: 4-1, 2x Ronaldo, Bernardeschi, Higuain - Depay.

as for City, I simply don't believe they will lose at home nor Madrid will outscore them. I predict a draw or narrow City win, something like 2-2 or 2-1.

The_Midfielder

I will watch Juve. both teams were fairly bad in first game, especially Lyon who managed to score somehow, but looked limited and simply couldn't keep the ball. they will have about 30% possession again, sit deep and try to counter but this time Depay will play which could make things interesting. Juve will be without Dybala, but at least De Ligt is back. I'm certain Juve will beat them quite easily, I'm just hoping it will be convincing enough for someone to score hattrick as I placed a bet on that. predictions: 4-1, 2x Ronaldo, Bernardeschi, Higuain - Depay.

as for City, I simply don't believe they will lose at home nor Madrid will outscore them. I predict a draw or narrow City win, something like 2-2 or 2-1.
Real to win 2-1

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
PHE approved list, I believe. ‘Elite sports’ are exempt — I’m assuming that includes CL football.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ance#for-athletes-and-essential-support-staff
How convenient. :smirk:

I was just curious because the cricket teams from the West Indies and now from Pakistan arrived early and more or less went into isolation as a group before becoming a match bubble. Different of course because they're together for weeks not just for 90 minutes.

I guess that it sets the precedent for next season's CL as well. In as much as we can guess how that will work in practice.

Thanks for the link.

gorky_utd

Real needs to score 2 goals minimum. Don't think they will win tonight without Ramos. City's defence is pretty poor though. I am hoping for an early madrid goal.

Paul_Scholes18

Real needs to score 2 goals minimum. Don't think they will win tonight without Ramos. City's defence is pretty poor though. I am hoping for an early madrid goal.
The away goal can help Real if they get going. Didn't expect a clean sheet anyway for them. Could see Real getting a 2-1 win and then 1-1 after extra time and Real advancing.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
City's issue has always been the away leg. That's not a factor anymore.

Then their second issue is leaving their backline exposed when needing to push forward to win the tie. That's not an issue anymore.

Then their third issue is having to break down a stubborn parked bus. I can't imagine why Madrid, needing 2 clear goals to move on, would park the bus. So that's not an issue.

Anything can happen but it would be genuinely shocking to see City shut out at home, while conceding 2 goals against a team that needs to be less, ugh, "pragmatic" (I fecking hate that word), to get the goals they need. Not discounting a Laporte brainfart, but meh.

City go through.

Along with Lyon.

midnightmare

Real Madrid bench is worrying. Don't trust anyone barring Fede to really have the quality to change things. Feel Ramos' absence could be crucial. Still hopeful - but feel Casemiro will have to be at his best to keep it very tight at the back. Don't see Los Blancos scoring 3. 2-0 would be ideal, but get a feeling it could easily to to ET. If it does, my money is on Zidane getting the W.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
City got a weak defense so Madrid have a chance. Nerves might come for City as well. They know they have never won it.
I don't trust Madrid to take it though. Just not sure they have enough goals in them.
Out of their last 6 games without Ramos, Real lost 5 while only winning against Nicosia. They'll need something unusual to happen, like an early red for City.
2-1 City would be my guess.
As for the other game, I'd also go with a 2-1 for Juve, meaning they're going out tonight.

midnightmare

Out of their last 6 games without Ramos, Real lost 5 while only winning against Nicosia. They'll need something unusual to happen, like an early red for City.
2-1 City would be my guess.
As for the other game, I'd also go with a 2-1 for Juve, meaning they're going out tonight.
Never bet against Ronaldo. Or Zidane.
Without Ramos, the record is poor and he's been the talisman post-lockdown, but Zidane normally finds a way. Also, there's been time to prepare for this. Casemiro becomes more important than ever. It's a delicate operation, but I have hope.

On Juve, I ask you to cast your mind to when Diego Simeone's Atleti visited Turin with a lead to protect...if his team couldn't contain the UCL's greatest player, I don't think the French will either.

Paul_Scholes18

Nothing special from Pep tactically. Goes with fairly defensive side with Gundogan over Silva, but still with attacking quality on the counter .
Didn't expect Jesus to start though.

cyberman

Questions need to be asked of Pep if they lose tonight. Theres some huge calls there

marktan

I want Real to win, against that defence it's possible. But Hazard will need a big game as elsewise they don't have much width with Rodrygo.