Champions League Round of 16 (18th Feb - 8th Aug)

sport2793

It was clear to any half-decent football fan that La Liga has taken a step or two back this season in terms of overall quality. This game just cements that imo.

kidbob

Can someone pull up a stat for how many of Lindelof+Maguire errors have led to goals this season?
Mate it drives me crazy on this forum. They aren't superstars but I swear some are convinced that no other teams concede goals. They have been mostly very good this season.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Soon as Pep put round pegs in round holes we started to get proper control. Jesus up top, Raheem left, Bernardo right and binned the false 9 and the game became one sided with us creating a lot more.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
People only watch us and think we're the only ones who have defensive blunders. Look at the mighty Real Madrid defense :lol:

Djemba-Djemba

I cannot imagine the abuse Maguire would get on here and across social media if he made two mistakes like Varane has tonight.

kidbob

Soon as Pep put round pegs in round holes we started to get proper control. Jesus up top, Raheem left, Bernardo right and binned the false 9 and the game became one sided with us creating a lot more.
He seems to sometimes forget the player that he had to make that false 9 stuff work as well as it did.

starman

Ffs, Varane has been terrible :houllier: He does not like being pressed at all.

Is he proving Maguire's price tag is not so outrageous considering Varane is valued at over 100m...?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Can someone pull up a stat for how many of Lindelof+Maguire errors have led to goals this season?
I think that stat's pretty useless unfortunately. Have seen tonnes of mistakes that directly resulted in an opposition goal, especially keepers chucking soft goals in, that don't get deemed an official "error leading to goal" for some reason.

Womp

idiot
This needs to put to bed this nonsense argument that we have a bad defence. Varane, who is one of the best defenders on the planet has had a shocker. Had Maguire or Lindelof put in a performance like this in such a vital game, they'd be crucified. We've genuinely had one of the best defences in Europe this season.

padr81

Supports
Man City
He seems to sometimes forget the player that he had to make that false 9 stuff work as well as it did.
Yup and evertime we do it, we look like LVG's United. I understand tonight is a night to be more cautious than usual but honestly, had we went out strong and after them I think we could have given them a bit of a whooping tonight. Hard to be critical as it'll likely be the best CL knockout result in our history but we could have sent out a real warning.

That said don't bet against us "pulling a typical City."

DarkLord

This all looks set for a Ronaldo late hat-trick and to put Juve through. 3-1 was my prediction before the game.

marktan

Real desperately need some subs - width especially. Vinicius and Marcelo. Zidabw poor with his subs here.

Red00012

Varane feck me send a fax to Madrid we’ve plenty of centre halves for them

Alemar

Real Madrid wouldn’t get into a top 4 in EPL with such performance

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
This needs to put to bed this nonsense argument that we have a bad defence. Varane, who is one of the best defenders on the planet has had a shocker. Had Maguire or Lindelof put in a performance like this in such a vital game, they'd be crucified. We've genuinely had one of the best defences in Europe this season.
Real have had a great defense all year. One bad game doesn't change that.

But yes, we have done well in that aspect this year. We can improve though.

E-mal

Madrid need to do some rebuilding. Same for Barca too.

A shadow of the teams we had to face
They are not really that far ahead of us if we can add Sancho and 2 more quality first team players.