Champions League Round of 16 (18th Feb - 8th Aug)

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
And finished 3rd as usual..That doesnt mean anything, United were still floating about in 5th/6th in the league for months but still progressed in Europe. We lost that game because we had no option other than to go for it to try and score 2 goals in extra time thanks to a calamity backpass from Adrian. We dominated and turned the tie around that up until that point. As for 'shocking' form since Lockdown if you included the month pre lockdown you might have had a claim but losing to Arsenal, City away and drawing to Burnley when the league was already won is just an exaggeration.
Bottom line is you list the tie. Deservedly so in my opinion. I agree to call your form since lockdown shocking is a total exaggeration. Your form was OK but that's all it needed to be.

DevilRed

I know their league was cut short, but how the toss did Lyon finish 7th???

Not overly impressed with them but they were more than equal to juve. Speaks to the quality of serie a

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Not overly impressed with them but they were more than equal to juve. Speaks to the quality of serie a
Serie A clearly isn't among the very best leagues however I wouldn't read too much into individual knockout ties. Roma battered Barcelona a few seasons ago. It definitely didn't mean Serie A was very strong and La Liga weak.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

OL are a weird side, in that their best level is quite high, but they went through a bizzarro season between failed managerial appointments and injuries

Not too different from Napoli

Besides which no, they were not more than equal to juventus. They ouplayed them for one half of the entire tie and got battered the rest of the way but managed to limit juventus' chances and pulled through thanks to a number of questionable refereeing decisions. Even their goal in Lyon came when juventus had De Ligt temporarily out injured

Bole Top

I don't remember the exact minute in the first half, but aside from Ronaldo's goal, Bernardeschi and his great run on the right side being blocked just before he could score by even greater defending from one of Lyon players was probably the best moment in the game.

ExecutionerWasp001

City were seriously impressive I thought. Made that Madrid side look very ordinary.
Real are very ordinary. Not replaced Ronaldo, have an ageing MF & their most talented player has been out most of the season. They were already behind the 8 ball going into this round. They've then proceeded to throw the ball into their own net a few times for good measure.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

No it means very little. If we lose to Burnley it doesn’t mean they’re as good as we are. Football isn’t that black and white

Glorio

That penalty decision for Juve was atrocious. And with VAR in the frame as well?? Seriously clubs should start pushing for retrospective punishment of refs for black/white blatantly wrong calls.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Has that ever happened before? Starting a competition before the previous one has finished?

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
That penalty decision for Juve was atrocious. And with VAR in the frame as well?? Seriously clubs should start pushing for retrospective punishment of refs for black/white blatantly wrong calls.
Juve have received about 20 laughable penalties this season. Apparantly in CL no different.

It's really embarressing the kind of penalties that have been given in the Serie A. Serie A have really made fools of themselves this year.

fck

Supports
Bayern
yeah the Juve penalty was a joke. The one for Lyon on the other hand was a great call.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
They finished 3rd and were actually 5th at the time, 2 points behind Sevilla in 3rd. They are clearly 3rd best team in Spain and a top 10 team in Europe.
I think Sevilla are better than them, and still this is the weakest Atletico side since 2013. It was a massive upset when Atletico beat them back to back any way you look at it.

AC1689

May have already been covered, but I don’t understand why both games are on at the same time. Europa had 17:55 and 20:00. So both matches could be watched. Although I know two were on at both times. Why do this with the UCL? Both at 20:00 so we can’t watch Chelsea and Barca.

It certainly doesn’t make sense from a commercial point of view. Viewing figures, hence revenue, would have been higher for both matches with staggered kick off times.

Same with the Premier League, nearly all matches after lockdown were on different days/times so all could be watched by all.

Madness.

M113FF

Supports
City
May have already been covered, but I don’t understand why both games are on at the same time. Europa had 17:55 and 20:00. So both matches could be watched. Although I know two were on at both times. Why do this with the UCL? Both at 20:00 so we can’t watch Chelsea and Barca.

It certainly doesn’t make sense from a commercial point of view. Viewing figures, hence revenue, would have been higher for both matches with staggered kick off times.

Same with the Premier League, nearly all matches after lockdown were on different days/times so all could be watched by all.

Madness.
I think all the Lisbon games are at 20.00 because of the heat.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

Madness.
I was thinking that it might be like a World Cup too but apparently it’s to do with the heat in Lisbon.

Canagel

English, Spanish and Italian Champions all out before Quarters. Did that ever happen before?

jamesjimmybyrondean

This reeks of the usual "x team is capable of beating Barcelona at camp nou" before Barcelona proceeds to dominate them

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I think Sevilla are better than them, and still this is the weakest Atletico side since 2013. It was a massive upset when Atletico beat them back to back any way you look at it.
No, they were comprehensively better than Sevilla and in fact this is the best atletico madrid side of the last 3 years

fps

If Atalanta aren’t winning this, I’d like Messi to win one more CL.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
No, they were comprehensively better than Sevilla and in fact this is the best atletico madrid side of the last 3 years
DIsagree, 2017 and 2018 was definitely better than this team, this year's Atletico have been woeful in attack. They just took advantage of an insanely weak batch of la liga teams.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
If Atalanta aren’t winning this, I’d like Messi to win one more CL.
I think Bayern will win it this year, only City could stop them or a fully fit PSG but that's not a thing.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
I think Bayern will win it this year, only City could stop them or a fully fit PSG but that's not a thing.
I think people need to keep in mind that it's going to be just one match in each round starting with the quarter-finals. That makes a competition a lot less predictable because in one match an upset is always easily possible, especially between all the teams left in the CL so I feel any predictions are even less worth than usual.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Interesting team, lots of Chelsea pace which could be useful. Bayern didn't play competitively for more than a month, no fans in the stadium. So tiny glimmers of hope.

To have any chance at all we need first goal and ideally to get 2 0 up, or at least be 2 goals ahead on the night with 60 or 70 minutes gone.

If Bayern score first could be long night in store.