Champions League Round of 16 (18th Feb - 8th Aug)

kidbob

We need more than just Sancho tbh - we need to make at least 3 signings this window.

We need a good DM, we aren't gonna be a serious team until we get one. I also think another FB is crucial preferably a LB.
Oh definitely. However if getting Sancho means we don't get anyone else this window Id take it over bringing in 2 or 3 lesser players. We are in a nice position in that we have a young squad that should improve over the next years. I'd be targeting the season after next to really be pushing on. Get Sancho in and then next summer fill the other two or three positions and we should be golden. Would be great if we could bring in Sancho and a couple of others this window though!

Lyricist

Did they really go from this
to additionally adding "more than a club" in English to the Camp Nou stands now? I saw that while watching earlier but can't find an image.

edit:
You can see it here.
There are few clubs that make me cringe this much, but I guess my perception of them isn't very objective.

Skills

Snitch
Bayern-City is a match i'd really like to happen. Not because i'm super confident about it, but because i think it would be great to watch.
Just hope its not in a final. Bayern's record vs English clubs in European cup finals is dreadful

kidbob

Bayern-City is a match i'd really like to happen. Not because i'm super confident about it, but because i think it would be great to watch.
As a United fan I want City to crash out to Lyon but as a football fan I really want to see Bayern v City.

Yagami

Good post resistant
We beat them three out of four times, but apart from the game we lost, we had lower possession.

Our next step is to dominate the game on and off the ball like Bayern have done tonight.
That's the dream.

I can only remember us doing it twice in recent years and both times were under van Gaal. The problem is I don't think Ole wants us to play this way.

fps

Did they really go from this

to additionally adding "more than a club" in English in the Camp Nou stands now? I saw that while watching earlier but can't find an image.
Yeah saw that. Guess it’s to spread the image and politics further.

sport2793

We need more than just Sancho tbh - we need to make at least 3 signings this window.

We need a good DM, we aren't gonna be a serious team until we get one. I also think another FB is crucial preferably a LB.
A DM of that quality is just not available in this window. The best we could do is try and buy a DM that maybe could develop into a top quality one. When I say top quality DM, I mean a player who is mobile, physical, good defensive awareness, and great on the ball.

Walters_19_MuFc

[

Tell that Ole. We are miles away from football like that.
I know. Just putting in better players won't solve everything. We need to become a lot better off the ball. Bayern, along with City and Liverpool is the level we need to get to, in that regard. The positive thing is that we're improving, which is all Ole can do.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
If in some theoretical universe, Messi was playing behind Ronaldo and Lewandowski instead of Suarez and Griezmann, he'd have about 1000 assists a season. The overall play just isn't sticking, Suarez doesn't have the body to do what he used to do and Griezmann looks lost, like he doesn't know what to do any time he gets the ball.

dalriada

I hate to say it but City can definitely give them trouble. I'd still fancy Bayern but when City show up they are very hard to deal with.
Definitely City are in there, Bayern will exploit their dodgy defence. City will be less dependent on one player, though, in the way Barcelona will need Messi to be the difference.

Walters_19_MuFc

That's the dream.

I can only remember us doing it twice in recent years and both times were under van Gaal. The problem is I don't think Ole wants us to play this way.
Maybe not. Under Sir Alex, we weren't a team who always dominated possession, but we had the firepower to go through teams in the blink of an eye. Whilst we're not quite at the level, we've seen over the last few weeks, especially since the restart, that we have the ability to devastate teams in the final third.

A mixture of possession and counter-attack is probably what Ole is looking for, which I suppose there's nothing wrong with that, especially if you control the game when out of possession, if that makes sense.

Godfather

I know. Just putting in better players won't solve everything. We need to become a lot better off the ball. Bayern, along with City and Liverpool is the level we need to get to, in that regard. The positive thing is that we're improving, which is all Ole can do.
I agree. Off the ball movement and attacking patterns are the thing we still lack the most.

SAFMUTD

That's back to my original argument then. Koulibaly was trying to clear the ball, Messi came from behind. Not even a challenge, no stud showing, no high feet & nothing indicate as dangerous action.
You understand that Koulibally kicked Messi in the penalty box right?

If you understand that then its simply, penalty. I dont know whats so hard about it.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You understand that Koulibally kicked Messi in the penalty box right?

If you understand that then its simply, penalty. I dont know whats so hard about it.
Take a look at example of Martial vs Zouma incident. It was a foul because Martial was ahead of Zouma when Zouma kicked Martial, if Zouma didn't kick Martial, Martial would have got the ball in possession.

The reason why I question the decision in Messi v Koulibally because Messi wouldn't be in possession even without Koulibally kicked it. Messi was behind Koulibally when he touched the ball.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
That's back to my original argument then. Koulibaly was trying to clear the ball, Messi came from behind. Not even a challenge, no stud showing, no high feet & nothing indicate as dangerous action.
Since when does it have to be dangerous play for it to be a pen?
If you foul the guy with the ball inside the area it’s a pen, pretty simple. Just because the defender was too slow to hit the ball doesn’t mean he can kick the crap out of the guy who took the ball away from him.

Walters_19_MuFc

I agree. Off the ball movement and attacking patterns are the thing we still lack the most.
Maybe that's something Carrick, McKenna and Phelan should be working on. If not, we need better coaches in. Ole seems a good manager, in that he seems like he keeps the players happy and can motivate them, but we may possibly need better tactical coaches if we're to take our game to another level.

SAFMUTD

Take a look at example of Martial vs Zouma incident. It was a foul because Martial was ahead of Zouma when Zouma kicked Martial, if Zouma didn't kick Martial, Martial would have got the ball in possession.

The reason why I question the decision in Messi v Koulibally because Messi wouldn't be in possession even without Koulibally kicked it. Messi was behind Koulibally when he touched the ball.
It doesnt matter if he's in possession or not, the ball could had been in the other side of the pitch and wouldnt change the fact that its a kick and a clear penalty.

Eddy_JukeZ

Maybe that's something Carrick, McKenna and Phelan should be working on. If not, we need better coaches in. Ole seems a good manager, in that he seems like he keeps the players happy and can motivate them, but we may possibly need better tactical coaches if we're to take our game to another level.
Hopefully we show improvements in that regard next season.

We need to take the game to big teams to make that next step.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It doesnt matter if he's in possession or not, the ball could had been in the other side of the pitch and wouldnt change the fact that its a kick and a clear penalty.
Alright got it. Kick the man and it's penalty done.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Happy with the one and we looked damn good in that first half.

However, it'll be 3-1 Bayern in the next round.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Not saying Solskjaer deserves anything special but to give Lampard all the plaudits is a fecking farce! Solskjaer's done a better job than him.
If Ole was called Ollie Garner Soulcarer he'd be called for winning the award because of getting in the top 3 with a fantastic young squad with British talent.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
That seems crazy to me. What a disadvantage for Leipzig that is. I know injuries are a possibility but mad that he wasn't to stay at them until their season ended.
Not sure if they are going to miss Werner that much against Atleti. He just needs a bit of space to work with, and that he wouldn't be given there.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Love your optimism.
I've seen 38 weeks and then some of the team this season. It's one off, we have Messi, but our shaky defense and the inability of other players to step up in attack has the potential for some ugly viewing against Bayern. We struggle badly against team that press, and Bayern are quite good at that.

Just being realistic. Would love an upset.

Gasolin

I think it just shows that the referee messed up and should have given us a penalty in that game for Martial.

Lee565

Has this change to being a mini tournament with a one game knockout format changed anyone's thinking on who will progress through and also win the competition compared to the usual format?

I think it definitely hurts Atletico's chances as they tend to fair better tactically at how to manage a two legged tie.

Over a two leg format I would have definitely believed Bayern would reach the final but going up against Barca and possibly man city in a one off match is too unpredictable.

I expect one somewhat shock result like tou would normally see in almost every knockout tournament though before the cup final, hopefully that being Lyon beating a man city team having an off day.