Champions league Semi Finals 2020-21 - April 27-28 and May 4-5

laughtersassassin

What positions do you think because still feel we need four (CB, DM, RW & ST) for the first XI
I'd agree with your four. But I think we could get away with two for next year if we kept Pogba and Cavani.

I'd go for a CDM and RW.

Sure this PSG isn't without fault and is doing amazing tonight and against Bayern. There fullbacks leave a lot to be desired for instance.

Top CDM and Sancho and we will go up a level for sure.

mancan92

Definitely not miles off
We have beaten both City and PSG this season and if Fred didn’t get sent... who knows what would have happened?
We do know how to play this teams
Different between coming up with a plan to get a win and actually going head to head on a technical level. We are no where near this level of football. But we can get a win on the day.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Was Mourinho a huge success at Chelsea?
Was Mourinho a huge success at Chelsea?
Mourinho won our first title in 50 yrs, and retained it. Pellegrini and mancini won the league at city before pep. My point is he wasnt signed to win the Premier league imo.

Id argue pep, pellegrini and mancinis city honours arent a million miles apart.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Can’t lie, this has been a little depressing to watch. We’re miles off this level of play. Certainly our midfield area cannot keep the ball under pressure like this. It’s been beautiful stuff.
We’re miles off because we simply don’t have personnel as good and confident. Yet we were not 3-1 worse off than them. I don’t find it watching players as good as their front 3 and Verratti in midfield depressing at all. It’s what we should aspire to be with the right players and right coaching

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
PSG have been great but they're overcomplicating things in the final third a bit. Just lash it at goal on sight.

City have been great at last ditch defending and horrible at everything else. They're lucky to be 1-0 down.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Definitely not miles off
We have beaten both City and PSG this season and if Fred didn’t get sent... who knows what would have happened?
This is the first time in the last 5/6 years that I’m watching the champions league semis and thinking Utd could easily compete here. We are better than Chelsea for a start so I’d have fancied us replicating their run if we had got the chance.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Definitely not miles off
Any team can beat any team. I didn’t say we’re miles off being able to beat one of these teams, I think we’re miles off being able to play at this level. In order for us to win, we’d need to surrender and counter. Which is fine, but it’s a necessity because our midfield cannot keep the ball at this level, that’s all.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
This is how a team looks like when everyone of them is competent on the ball. The build up play of PSG is just superb.

How many of our players are actually composed on the ball ?

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
We’re miles off because we simply don’t have personnel as good and confident. Yet we were not 3-1 worse off than them. I don’t find it watching players as good as their front 3 and Verratti in midfield depressing at all. It’s what we should aspire to be with the right players and right coaching
Sancho will be a massive signing for you. He's got the potential to be that.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Mourinho won our first title in 50 yrs, and retained it. Pellegrini and mancini won the league at city before pep. My point is he wasnt signed to win the Premier league imo.

Id argue pep, pellegrini and mancinis city honours arent a million miles apart.
Roman bought Chelsea wanting to win the CL. You think that wasn't communicated to Mourinho?

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Psg very good. I disagree with the city fans on their message boards claiming theres nothing between them, even half.

Marwood

Psg build up play has been top level. Only if there finish was the same, this tie would be long over. Never seen a pep team being outfootballed like this before.
Thought the same, it's quite unusual. I think you can see it's a shock to the City players. De Bruyne complaining because he's not being allowed time for example.

What's frustrating is that with the money in the Prem League City should be facing this kind of quality 6 times a season. Instead they seem to get a pretty easy ride(fair play to Liverpool for keeping it interesting the last few years).

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Pep has a lot of experience completely overthinking things in the CL lately too and PSG made the final last season.

I don't understand why they're seen as massive underdogs. They have the best attacking duo in the world. If Mbappe/Neymar are firing, I think they'll cause serious serious problems.

Last time Pep faced a dangerous continental attack in the CL, he decided to man mark MSN at the Nou Camp like a madman and got lucky the 1st half before it unraveled in the 2nd half.
Well so far I look like a proper fool don't I? :lol:

qzizzle

Supports
Bayern Munich
Best team in Europe atm?
I would have Bayern at full strength, PSG was a bit lucky to get by on away-goal rules and Bayern missing Lewandowski, Gnabry and Goretzka 3 of their top 4 scorers.

PSG 2nd though.

He'sRaldo

It takes a ton of organization to field a lot of creative players. We don't have that organization, and thus have to use workhorses to cover for that.

I believe we have the personnel to play much more technical football than we're playing.

gibers

Thought the same, it's quite unusual. I think you can see it's a shock to the City players. De Bruyne complaining because he's not being allowed time for example.

What's frustrating is that with the money in the Prem League City should be facing this kind of quality 6 times a season. Instead they seem to get a pretty easy ride(fair play to Liverpool for keeping it interesting the last few years).
The very best players in the world don't play in the prem. PSG have better quality than every team in the prem.

Marwood

Just pointing it out! Teams pack up against us, we just need balance on the right. Big teams find it very hard to beat us because we are similar to PSG funnily enough. Our pace and ability to create space in tight situations added to our 1 on 1 defending is a huge problem to solve. Push up against our weaker players and the front men run riot.
We dominated City just like this a few months ago playing the exact same way as PSG are. In a weird way City should have studied our game v PSG for hints in how to play and PSG should have had our game at the Etihad on a loop for the same reason.
Agree. It's why I fancied PSG to go through. They've got the players to take City on in a simular fashion to how we go about it. With more quality as well.

Compare this to how Spurs approached the cup final.

Rossa

Albeit not very often, but every time I watch PSG, I'm left with the same feeling I had watching Real Madrid a few years back, Di Maria is such a classy player. We may dislike him for his stint at United, but playing alongside Neymar and Mbappe, he is consistently at least as good as they are, and it was the same for RM. Surely, he must go down as one of the most underrated or underappreciated players.

Marwood

The very best players in the world don't play in the prem. PSG have better quality than every team in the prem.
Well that's my point.

With the money in the Prem more teams should have this quality. But over the last 5-7 years their transfer work has been shocking.

gibers

Well that's my point.

With the money in the Prem more teams should have this quality. But over the last 5-7 years their transfer work has been shocking.
Got nothing to do with transfer work. The best players will always pick Madrid Barca and Bayern over every team in the Prem, even PSG. Hazard forced a move to Madrid, Ronaldo twice forced a move even when Madrid were bad, Suarez to Barca, Courtinho to Barca etc.

dbs235

Masterclass. PSG have better players and are simply superior.
Really? Of course Mbappe and Neymar are the best two players from both teams. KDB 3rd I'd say. There's quite a few PSG players that wouldn't get into the City team IMO.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Roman bought Chelsea wanting to win the CL. You think that wasn't communicated to Mourinho?
And to win us the league for the first time in decades. Which he did twice.

City won the league a few times before pep and imo winning the title was not why he was signed. Otherwise stick with mancini or. Pellegrini.

He was brought in for the cl and if he doesnt win it, i dont think hes totally outshone the previous 2 managers.

gibers

Really? Of course Mbappe and Neymar are the best two players from both teams. KDB 3rd I'd say. There's quite a few PSG players that wouldn't get into the City team IMO.
Navas, Kimpembe, Marquinos, Veratti, Di Maria, Parades, Neymar and Mbappe would have an arguemnt to walk into City's starting 11. Navas is a clutch GK. I won't say KdB is that much better than Di Maria.

Last edited:

dbs235

Think people are overrating PSG's performance here, they've spent most of the game putting a lot of their men behind the ball.