Champions league Semi Finals 2020-21 - April 27-28 and May 4-5

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Chelsea got a chance here, Real is walking on dead legs. Modric especially looked incredibly tired against Betis misplacing a lot of balls and making the wrong decisions. Benzema is the only threat up front and I think going up against 3 centre backs will nullify him.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Chelsea got a chance here, Real is walking on dead legs. Modric especially looked incredibly tired against Betis misplacing a lot of balls and making the wrong decisions. Benzema is the only threat up front and I think going up against 3 centre backs will nullify him.
That'll also give Madrid's midfield numberical advantage, and that is their best strength. You let Kroos and Modric run the show and they'll kill any team.

It'll be an interesting contest, Kante could be key in getting around them both.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I think we will live or die by the press. I doubt Tuchel will have anyone lay off them.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
That'll also give Madrid's midfield numberical advantage, and that is their best strength. You let Kroos and Modric run the show and they'll kill any team.

It'll be an interesting contest, Kante could be key in getting around them both.
Mount makes a big difference here as well to be fair - he'll drop regularly to make up a midfield 3. Wouldn't be surprised to see him man marking Kroos when out of possession. Havertz is diligent off the ball as well.

lex talionis

I can't stand the thought of any of these four clubs winning the CL this season.

always_hoping

I can't stand the thought of any of these four clubs winning the CL this season.
Who's the lesser evil between the last 4?

Tonights game has the potential to be a woeful game. Two sides with loads of clean sheets in recent games playing cagey football. Chelsea are unlikely to concede goals from defensive errors like Liverpool did in the 1st leg against Real Madrid.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Mount makes a big difference here as well to be fair - he'll drop regularly to make up a midfield 3. Wouldn't be surprised to see him man marking Kroos when out of possession. Havertz is diligent off the ball as well.
yep his energy will be vital, probably will sit on casemiro you’d expect

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

0 - Zinédine Zidane has faced more times without winning against Thomas Tuchel than against any other coach in his career as Real Madrid coach in all competitions (3E 1D). Challenge.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Just an extra boost if he needed it

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Just an extra boost if he needed it

Since I just see the pic at top right - is David Luiz really as much of a great guy off the pitch as he comes across? Always appeared like an extraordinarily friendly and fun-loving dude to me.

youmeletsfly

Since I just see the pic at top right - is David Luiz really as much of a great guy off the pitch as he comes across? Always appeared like an extraordinarily friendly and fun-loving dude to me.
I've seen a few interviews and he seems really cool.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He's either a fantastic actor, or he's exactly as he appears to be, a friendly, happy, fun-loving geezer who keeps everyone around in a happy mood.

Lyricist

I was going to be for Real but then Pérez went all S.P.E.C.T.R.E. on the football world. Now what?!??

This line up of teams is just so...I mean...I can't even...

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Tuchel has gone a bit too defensive with the lineup for my liking. Ugh.

mu4c_20le

I was going to be for Real but then Pérez went all S.P.E.C.T.R.E. on the football world. Now what?!??
UEFA are just a lesser evil to the exclusive league bullshit. Madrid win would be a nice feck you to them, and hopefully Perez will shut up about the super league for another decade.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I was not expecting Zidane to use a 3-5-2 formation with Marcelo on the left side today

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I was not expecting Zidane to use a 3-5-2 formation with Marcelo on the left side today

yeah a back 3/5 is a surprise, have Madrid played with one before recently?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Big concern for me is the mentality of the team if we go behind. Hasn't happened much recently except against West Brom. Would be a test to pass if that happens.

Zidane showing respect by matching formation? Wondering if there might be some space to exploit behind wing backs who aren't used to this position much.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
yeah a back 3/5 is a surprise, have Madrid played with one before recently?
Yes, they played it a few times before the injuries. For example vs Atalanta at home and it worked well for Zidane, his team had more control in midfield with that formation.

However, my biggest surprise is Marcelo on the left, as I think he's well past it now.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Haven't seen all that much of Madrid over the last year or two, but isn't it pretty strange to see Marcelo starting a game of this magnitude lately?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yes, they played it a few times before the injuries. For example vs Atalanta at home and it worked well for Zidane, his team had more control in midfield with that formation.

However, my biggest surprise is Marcelo on the left, as I think he's well past it now.
Do you have any other LB except Mendy? Hopefully we see old Marcelo for couple of games in CL. What a player he was at his peak :drool:

Edit: Marcelo is just 32, thought he was much older.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

He's actually done well with a back 3. His biggest problem is that he doesn't have the energy to cover the flank anymore. With cover behind he's still good

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Do you have any other LB except Mendy? Hopefully we see old Marcelo for couple of games in CL. What a player he was at his peak :drool:

We have Miguel, from the B team. Marcelo's in his 15th year with us. Age is relative...

He's been decent with a back 3 behind this season, and experience still matters. Also we just don't have alternatives. We're dead tired atm, everybody's playing through injury

Ooooooo Roberto Carlooooooos lalalalalala Roberto Carloooooooos lalalalala(just interviewd on italian tv :drool: :drool: :drool: )

Makelele

On paper a great tactical move by Zidane. This setup can hurt Chelsea. But Chelsea have played this formation much much more. Advantage?

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid

Nacho can play there occasionally but with Ramos and Varane off in some of the most important games he was more needed as CB, position where he has excelled this season.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I am not too sure this is all about defense for us. Azpi made several runs that pushed back the defense and opened it up for Werner trailing. Werner missed on one and connected on the other. Maybe Tuchel seen something he liked with that.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Have you seen Chelsea in the last week or so? We're the same.
Real are absolute crap. A disgusting Liverpool team should have ravaged them 5-0. A tired Chelsea team that actually knows where the goal is will score at least two.