Champions league Semi Finals 2020-21 - April 27-28 and May 4-5

always_hoping

Mbappe was a bit rubbish wasnt he?
Like Haaland in two legs against City he was marked out of the game.

Main reason why City didn't win the CL in the last 4 seasons under Pep was because of their defensive issues. If they go on to win this CL as they are red hot favourites to do so its because they have improved defensively, the signing of Dias especially key.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Like Haaland in two legs against City he was marked out of the game.

Main reason why City didn't win the CL in the last 4 seasons under Pep was because of their defensive issues. If they go on to win this CL as they are red hot favourites to do so its because they have improved defensively, the signing of Dias especially key.
Absolutely. I don't think they're special going forward these days. 2-3 years back they were much stronger in this regard. But the foundation is really strong - defensive spine and midfield stability. Plus mentally I think that winning run has given them a different sort of belief compared to other teams. fecking Gundogan and his run form back then probably made all of this possible

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
PSG scored 4 at the Nou Camp and 3 at the Allianz Arena. I know that was in the 1st leg, but still impressive nonetheless.

They're more than capable of still winning this tie.

They conceded 2 very fluky goals.
I agree. Could absolutely see them winning 2-0.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
PSG should blame themselves for the loss, they had so many chances in the first half, messed them all. Conceded 2 fluke goals and now they are in such a shit state.

Wouldn't say tie is over. 2-1 win is a possible scenario.

Mike Smalling

Am I the only one, who would not be entirely sure who to root for in a potential Chelsea-City final? It would be vomit-inducing in any case, but I am almost leaning towards rooting for City. Of course, we would have to listen to a lot of crap about their fake treble, but as per usual it means little when it's all based on their Abu Dhabi-cash. It might also mean that Pep would be more likely to take on another project, when he has achieved pretty much everything with City. A Chelsea win on the other hand, would bring them just one CL title below ourselves, which would be off-putting. And then there is of course the possibility that Chelsea will need a CL win to qualify for next season (although I don't think that will be the case).

This may also be driven by the fact that my Chelsea mates are typically super smug whenever they win something, while I don't know a single soul who supports City.

gibers

All those players played in England. You've defeated your own point there I think. Yeah they moved on eventually but all players do at some point. Ronaldo left Madrid as well remember.

Premiership has enough money and pull to produce more world class teams than it has over the last 5-10 years. City should face a bigger than they have.

I agree to some extent. I think they are better, we're not as pretty to watch as they are but with a few tweeks we're there.

These aren't great teams. They're just playing at a time when football is in a bit of a lull worldwide.
Not really, they didn't go to the big clubs straight away because they did not want them. Once Madrid came calling Ronaldo wanted to leave. He wanted to leave in 06/07, then 07/08. Even after we won the CL he wanted to leave. It got to the point that Blatter even came out and said it was like slavery he wasn't being allowed to leave. Hazard all but forced a move once Madrid came calling. Those big clubs wait for them to be established an then pounce. English clubs are not the top predators when it comes to elite player destinations.

Once they become big enough they run to Madrid. Owen even said on TV that once Madrid came he had to go and Cara even told him not to leave. There is a reason why only two Ballon D'or winners have played in this league. None of the very elite players play here and once they do become elite, they step up to Madrid and Barca, mainly Madrid tbh.

Money means nothing if the best talent don't play in the league and England's youth system has been abysmal until recently so the local talent has been subpar till this last and upcoming generation of players. Things might change now that the European clubs are having financial issues.

gibers

You could tell PSG were shattered in the second half. City can rotate 6/7 of their players as they walk a very uncompetitive PL while PSG are still fighting in a competitive Ligue 1 this season. PSG can't even rest their players this weekend I don't think, while City will probably rotate their whole squad.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
You could tell PSG were shattered in the second half. City can rotate 6/7 of their players as they walk a very uncompetitive PL while PSG are still fighting in a competitive Ligue 1 this season. PSG can't even rest their players this weekend I don't think, while City will probably rotate their whole squad.
Why don't PSG have a decent squad, given their money?

Genuine question, I don't really know anything about their side other than the big names.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Am I the only one, who would not be entirely sure who to root for in a potential Chelsea-City final? It would be vomit-inducing in any case, but I am almost leaning towards rooting for City. Of course, we would have to listen to a lot of crap about their fake treble, but as per usual it means little when it's all based on their Abu Dhabi-cash. It might also mean that Pep would be more likely to take on another project, when he has achieved pretty much everything with City. A Chelsea win on the other hand, would bring them just one CL title below ourselves, which would be off-putting. And then there is of course the possibility that Chelsea will need a CL win to qualify for next season (although I don't think that will be the case).

This may also be driven by the fact that my Chelsea mates are typically super smug whenever they win something, while I don't know a single soul who supports City.
These things always depend on personal situations to an great extent. United were always way down the list of English teams I disliked, but my daily interactions with United fans tripled since I relocated to the north parachuting United to near the top of my 'must not win at all costs' list :D

BlackShark_80

Genuine question, I don't really know anything about their side other than the big names.
Poor scouting, they bought so bang average players like Diallo, Bernat, Paredes, Draxler, Kehrer, Pereira, Herrera, Rafinha, Kurzawa, and Sarabia.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Still along way to go, I know a lot of you guys are over-reacting here because it's City but PSG are verey capable of making a comeback.

Longshanks

City is on their way to win their 3rd premier league title in 4 years and have a foot in the CL final. PSG reached last year's final and still have a chance at making this year's final. You guys are playing Europe football on Thursday for consecutive seasons. They are better
City yes, but not by much. PSG though? No dont think so. Not from what iv seen from them, we should of beaten them twice this season and they fluked there way past bayern, somehow won the first leg despite getting completely battered and offered very little against city last night.

Put them in the EPL and they would be struggling for top 4 probably would be out of europe because of the extra demands.

cyberman

We can and have beaten both of those sides tonight and I saw nothing in either of them that makes me think they are actually any better than us.
We arent better than City, the table doesnt lie but we are a lot closer than people think.
Id argue all day we are better than PSG. How they got out of our group is a miracle in itself. They had a beating coming

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We can and have beaten both of those sides tonight and I saw nothing in either of them that makes me think they are actually any better than us.
Bit like how Bolton used to see nothing to suggest Arsenal was any better than them back in the day.

Longshanks

Bit like how Bolton used to see nothing to suggest Arsenal was any better than them back in the day.
No not really. Bolton would regularly finish miles of arsenal in the league and apart from an occasional win, they generally lost against arsenal, are record against city and psg since Ole took over is very much 50/50.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
I was waiting for a Man Utd fan to post this and you didn't let me down. Man City finish above you nearly every season and PSG knocked out in the group stage.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
That was PSG of a few seasons ago. This season in the Champions League and last season they appeared to have got over that brittleness that people would associate with them. But last night it all came back in that second half. Playing themselves into danger. Relying on individuals as their structure fell apart. Neymar trying to do way too much in his own half, and then getting a man sent off to really play up to stereotypes.

All in all, they'll probably be fairly happy to get away with a 1-2, considering the circumstances.

Water Melon

Do you guys seriously believe that PSG can turn it around? City will be 100% fit and fresh next week, while PSG will have to give all they have come weekend. I can see City winning the second leg two. Probably will be a much easier task than the yesterday game.

Last edited by a moderator:

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain

Yeah I might slightly prefer Chelsea but not sure yet. City’s squad is actually mostly likeable and they are not going to match our treble now anyway regardless of how the media spin it.
Anyway I am already looking forward to spend time after the final in either the Pep sack watch or Tuchel sack watch thread :drool:

Hammondo

I respect City's type of football so I would prefer them to win.

cyberman

Im in the same boat. Only consolation is that i dont rate the winners of this, or Bayern last year, as real winners due to no fans, neutral grounds and change of format.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
You guys are sociopaths, I’ll have my full John terry chelsea kit on (slight exaggeration), Chelsea have to win. City winning a champions league will make me sick to my stomach.

dbs235

If I was City I'd rest the entire planned starting 11 on Saturday. Can't see him rotating that much though.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea

I will pour you a pint so all the smugness is more tolerable. :D

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
Come on you know it's true, yes I will admit you used to challenge us many times in league games pre 2003 but generally fell off towards the end of the season until the Roman roubles and Jose cracked it
No doubt about that. Chelsea is not an elite team today without that happening. Disliking the so called sugar daddy clubs as an opposition fan is understandable I suppose, if not downright expected. However, I just find all the whining and moaning about “running football, etc” fairly sanctimonious, especially when you look at what the owners of all the super league teams tried to do.

RuudTom83

Liverpool winning the Premiership was the biggest kick in the balls for a United fan, so watching City or Chelsea life big ears isn't as hard to take tbh.

Part of me wanted to see Tuchel beat PSG in the final. But I expect it to be an all English final which will be a dull spectacle.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What's more frustrating is seeing these clubs get to the final, knowing we could have easily been there ourselves.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Injury number 57 this season, it's incredible.
Nacho or Valverde, in this case it would be a significant loss for the midfield. I read a time ago that Carva is the player who has been injured the most in recent years, even more than Bale, which has gone more or less unnoticed

gibers

They had to conform to FFP. Sounds like a joke I know but it's true.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
They had to conform to FFP. Sounds like a joke I know but it's true.
Top heavy side. Mbappe, Neymar and a few others are WC but it's a significant drop off from there.

City get mocked for their reluctance to shell out a lot of money on a single signing but it does result in a more even distribution of talent.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Do you guys seriously believe that PSG can turn it around? City will be 100% fit and fresh next week, while PSG will have to give all they have come weekend. I can see City winning the second leg two. Probably will be a much easier task than the yesterday game.
Yes they can. They did create higher quality chances.

City will need to resolve their inability to threaten PSG's goal, they can't rely on a turnstile wall twice in a row. At times during the game they had no personnel in the box or in front of it.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Top heavy side. Mbappe, Neymar and a few others are WC but it's a significant drop off from there.

City get mocked for their reluctance to shell out a lot of money on a single signing but it does result in a more even distribution of talent.
We’ll see if that holds true this summer

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
City yes, but not by much. PSG though? No dont think so. Not from what iv seen from them, we should of beaten them twice this season and they fluked there way past bayern, somehow won the first leg despite getting completely battered and offered very little against city last night.

Put them in the EPL and they would be struggling for top 4 probably would be out of europe because of the extra demands.
:lol: No. Ligue 1 has a much closer title race than the EPL and they still made the semi finals. Mbappe would lead the epl in scoring. City would still win the league but psg would at least come on second.