Champions league Semi Finals 2020-21 - April 27-28 and May 4-5

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Varane injured :houllier:
When it rains it pours.

I'm curious about Ramos and Mendy. I half-expected them to feature today, but I wonder if their absence makes them both doubtful for the second leg? It would be quite the risk to chuck them straight into the team for such a crucial game.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Probably doesn't mean much of an advantage but I do find it a little strange how the EPL aren't allowing 5 subs to take place where as Liga is.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
When it rains it pours.

I'm curious about Ramos and Mendy. I half-expected them to feature today, but I wonder if their absence makes them both doubtful for the second leg? It would be quite the risk to chuck them straight into the team for such a crucial game.
Yes, I think that might be the case, but more with Ramos than Mendy, because at least Mendy took part in games not that long ago.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
There are few things more soothing than a friendly chat even if we disagree on views. I really do appreciate you.

I was very sure that Chelsea had struck gold when you guys appointed Tuchel because he his a very good tactician. I also hope Real Madrid wins the CL but if they don’t then you guys are my next option even though I’m aware that one of PSG and City will be in the finals.

Finally I think that 3 center backs tactic worked very well when Conte won the league for you guys and with the right reinforcements you have a fair chance to win the league next season (even though that is not my wish).
Cheers and I'd reciprocate as well! Certainly hope you can do Arsenal in the EL final if it comes to that - not only for CL qualification going to 4th but also because that fanbase is absolutely insufferable.

Will definitely hold my hands up a bit as my post probably was OTT (and not helped by the lager I was enjoying at the time) - very much appreciate a lovely chat and you taking the time for an earnest discussion!

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Probably doesn't mean much of an advantage but I do find it a little strange how the EPL aren't allowing 5 subs to take place where as Liga is.
Thank the Sheffield Uniteds of the world - voting against extra subs because bigger teams have better reserves makes sense on paper, but they also completely overlooked the outsized impact injuries would have on a thinner squad.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Who is actually out for Madrid on Wednesday? I am losing count.
Hard to say. Lucas Vazquez for sure. Varane, Ramos, Mendy, Carvajal, Marcelo and Valverde to be seen

Not counting the new injuries that will pop up before the game...

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Hard to say. Lucas Vazquez for sure. Varane, Ramos, Mendy, Carvajal, Marcelo and Valverde to be seen

Not counting the new injuries that will pop up before the game...
I think Lucas and Carvajal are definitely out and if Ramos didn't play yesterday I don't think he will play vs Chelsea.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
So, games are tomorrow and next week. Predictions from me:

City 2 - 2 PSG - I see PSG getting out into a lead but then bottling it and conceding late.

Chelsea 1 - 1 Real - Real to win on pens, could also be 2-2 and they win on away goals.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

City 2 - 2 PSG - I see PSG getting out into a lead but then bottling it and conceding late.

Chelsea 1 - 1 Real - Real to win on pens, could also be 2-2 and they win on away goals.
I'd rather get hammered 3-0 than go through an intense heartbreak like that.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I'd rather get hammered 3-0 than go through an intense heartbreak like that.
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't Chelsea typically go out in heartbreaking fashion in the CL semi's? Only one I can remember where you got outplayed was AM but even then you went ahead.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't Chelsea typically go out in heartbreaking fashion in the CL semi's? Only one I can remember where you got outplayed was AM but even then you went ahead.
Barcelona 2009, 1-1, Iniesta last minute. Went out on away goals.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yep we definitely have previous. Advanced from 2 of 7 semi-finals prior to this year.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

Mbappe injured so PSG will lose

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Atletico Madrid was a bummer but not really heartbreaking. We had a coward manager and we were thoroughly outplayed. Every semifinal before definitely was though. I don't want to experience that feeling again.

Last edited:

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Atletico Madrid was a bummer but not really heartbreaking. We had a coward manager and we were thoroughly outplayed. Every semifinal before definitely was though. I don't want to experience that feeling again.
Personally, I prefer Chelsea to go through than Real as I am not a fan of Franco FC. However, Chelsea's lack of taking their chances in the away leg makes me feel they're going to live to regret that. Normally, in tight games/ties teams will be punished for such profligate finishing.

non profit football

Supports
Chelsea
On a football field, anything can happen.
A penalty, a red card, a couple of injuries can completely transfigure a game but it would be a surprise to me that the final is not Man City-Chelsea.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Personally, I prefer Chelsea to go through than Real as I am not a fan of Franco FC. However, Chelsea's lack of taking their chances in the away leg makes me feel they're going to live to regret that. Normally, in tight games/ties teams will be punished for such profligate finishing.
Really. You would prefer the club owned by a russian oligarch who is buddy with the current dictator or Russia, or maybe the two clubs currently owned by dictatorships, over the club that was unfortunately(and somewhat necessarily - try saying "No" to a dictator) close to a dictator that died 46 years ago

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Really. You would prefer the club owned by a russian oligarch who is buddy with the current dictator or Russia, or maybe the two clubs currently owned by dictatorships, over the club that was unfortunately(and somewhat necessarily - try saying "No" to a dictator) close to a dictator that died 46 years ago
To be fair, I don't really have anything against Chelsea and am a bit more old school in that I prefer English teams that aren't City or Liverpool to win in Europe.

Furthermore, Real have hovered up all the talent in Europe for years using Spanish Government money, are one of the driving forces of the ESL and have got debt up to their eyeballs but where very happy to implement FFP to create a cartel system (alongside the other top teams.) Furthermore, Franco was worse than Putin.

Chelsea have their faults and RA probably isn't that clean, but at the same time he was one of the few people that did the right thing during the pandemic. Where others were looking to furlough their staff and seek government loans he opened up his clubs hotels and offered free board and lodgings to NHS staff.

Hulksmash

Perez is more criminal :

Take away Water from poor Countrys
Has dodgy Deals with the Saudis
Constantly invites corrupt Politician into the Stadium

I prefere Chelsea to win

non profit football

Supports
Chelsea
I would ask Tuchel not to play with Azpilicueta and Timo.
Mendy; Rudiger, Silva, Christensen; James, Kante, Jorginho, Chilwell; Mount, Pulisic, Havertz.

Madrid does not have Varane, Carvajal, and Lucas. Ramos is 35 years old and played 3 games in 2021 between injuries. Mendy and Valverde if they play will go to the fight with just a training session or two with the team.
They will probably try to defend themselves tactically again, with a defense of 5 or with a reinforced midfield,
Tuchel, this time, without mercy.

Oh, and remember you have a guy named Hudson-Odoi, who was being one of the best on the team until you forgot about him on the bench.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I would ask Tuchel not to play with Azpilicueta and Timo.
Mendy; Rudiger, Silva, Christensen; James, Kante, Jorginho, Chilwell; Mount, Pulisic, Havertz.

Madrid does not have Varane, Carvajal, and Lucas. Ramos is 35 years old and played 3 games in 2021 between injuries. Mendy and Valverde if they play will go to the fight with just a training session or two with the team.
They will probably try to defend themselves tactically again, with a defense of 5 or with a reinforced midfield,
Tuchel, this time, without mercy.

Oh, and remember you have a guy named Hudson-Odoi, who was being one of the best on the team until you forgot about him on the bench.
Timo will play cause of his pace and constant running. Which against an old not match fit ramos should be a good thing.

Siorac

Perez is more criminal :

Take away Water from poor Countrys
Has dodgy Deals with the Saudis
Constantly invites corrupt Politician into the Stadium

I prefere Chelsea to win
Is your native language German, by any chance?

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Former training ground was "transferred" to the state for peanuts wasn't it?
Yeah, just the $220m in 2001, which conveniently wiped out their existing debt pile :lol:

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Former training ground was "transferred" to the state for peanuts wasn't it?
It was sold to private companies and the state actually obtained part of the money for it. The training ground was at the outskirts of the city in the 40s, 50s and in the business area five decades later.

JSArsenal

Chelsea have their faults and RA probably isn't that clean, but at the same time he was one of the few people that did the right thing during the pandemic. Where others were looking to furlough their staff and seek government loans he opened up his clubs hotels and offered free board and lodgings to NHS staff.

Roman was just doing what he's been doing since 2004, a thing I like to call image laundering. Where an awful person does charity or attaches themselves to good public works in order to make people forget who they are.

It's worked a treat for him and City's owners as well.