Champions league Semi Finals 2020-21 - April 27-28 and May 4-5

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Do people really care about City winning trophies?

Liverpool winning the league or the European Cup hurts because as much as I hate them, they're a proper club and a proper rival.

City doesn't bother me at all. They stopped being our local rival and a football club worth worrying about when they became the plaything for an oil state to corrupt the game.

I pay as much attention to them winning anything as I do the horse at the front of the Grand National whose rider fell at the first. They're not a legitimate competitor.
I mean I'd really rather they didn't but you aren't far wrong.

jesperjaap

Tuchel for poch are them moving backwards. Overrated and never getting close to UCL finals again.
Especially with both Neymar and Mbappe looking for a way out.
They are never getting two players like that ever again.
Of course if they lose Neymar and Mbappe they are almsot impossible to replace currently but come on, slight over exxageration.

Both are excellent managers. Pochettino got Spurs to a CL final and he also had a far harder route this season that Tuchel did for PSG. This seasons PSG knocked out Bayern Munich and lost against City, probably the two best sides in Europe.....last seasons PSG played Atalanta and Liepzig in the same rounds and lost against pretty much the same Bayern side in the final that beat TTuchels PSG last year. Of course Tuchel has a chance of going back again with Chelsea, but they are both very good managers.
ALso PSG have mor emoney than pretty much any side about, players maybe impossible to replace, but they certainly have the money to go out and buy new players....many big sides dont this summer

Pagh Wraith

I have to say I found this highly amusing as someone who works in professional gambling.

That was just the easiest part to laugh at.
It's the confidence they write this nonsense with that gets me. You ought to have a look at the top four thread. Plenty of material there!

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Don't you think he has a valid point with the amount of sportswashing that goes on in the UAE or are you one of those fans who have genuinely been sucked in with the City media lovefest
No, but I do acknowledge what they bring on a football pitch.

They have spent massively since 2012 but they've spent it well, to the contrary to many other big clubs. They had a plan from the beginning and they're reaping the benefits now whilst ruffling the footballing establishment's feathers along the way.

There's no chance to force your way to the top (and stay there) without money, that's just how it is. I don't like one bit but there's no way it will change, the FFP made sure of it anyway. Us winning the league in 2016 was the exception, not the rule. As for the sportswashing and whatnot, let's stop pretending that all the big clubs and their owners are all nice, clean and put the footballing interests above everything. What happened the last weeks was for all of us to see.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
You haven't even won it yet, and we have you lot coming out it the bushes, eh?
So you think you are better than Bayern Munich?
Yes I think we are currently better than Bayern but unlike you I don't purport to know it.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
So weird seeing such a great manager achieve so much when it means so little. It’s sad.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Yes I think we are currently better than Bayern but unlike you I don't purport to know it.
If you hadn't have had to struggle to beat Dortmund, and required two poor refereeing decisions, then I would be more inclined to believe that

NK86

Well, you can obviously have an opinion. However City got lucky with crazy ref decisions in the QFs against a Dortmund side fifth in the Bundesliga, while Bayern are leading it comfortably.

And I know it's not exactly science, but if you have seen a full strength Bayern play this season, you would realize that they are a different beast to PSG, who themselves were without their best player in Mbappe this second leg.

gibers

No chance. Bayern with all their players are the best team in the world. They created 4 clear cut chances against PSG. You guys scored 2 jammy goals.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Well, you can obviously have an opinion. However City got lucky with crazy ref decisions in the QFs against a Dortmund side fifth in the Bundesliga, while Bayern are leading it comfortably.

And I know it's not exactly science, but if you have seen a full strength Bayern play this season, you would realize that they are a different beast to PSG, who themselves were without their best player in Mbappe this second leg.
Well I reckon that we would have beaten BVB without that bad Bellingham decision but we'll never know.
City have been on the wrong end of some big CL mistakes and crazy obscure rules in the past, particularly vs Spurs 2 years ago where we were totally screwed by officials.
I don't doubt that if Bayern had all their best players available then they would have probably dealt with PSG but that's football :)

Lentwood

No, but I do acknowledge what they bring on a football pitch.

They have spent massively since 2012 but they've spent it well, to the contrary to many other big clubs.
They haven’t spent it well at all, they have arguably made more poor decisions in the transfer market than any other club, especially since they aren’t exactly shopping in the bargain bin.

The difference is they have the luxury of being able to make bad decisions and move on from them immediately. When they sign players who don’t work out, they can instantly replace them without having to worry about balancing the books.

In business, its called being able to “fail fast” i.e. to try something and then move on quickly without damage if it doesn’t work out.

In contrast, other clubs fail slow and have to balance the books. If United, for example, spend £80m on Lukaku, that means they don’t get to spend £80m on a defender (Maguire). If they then decide they want to sign Maguire, they have to first move Lukaku and leave themselves short in the forward positions. The opportunity costs are high for every club BAR City, for whom they are virtually zero.

I could give specific examples - the GKs, the full backs, the CBs...but feel its unnecessary... you either get the point by now or won’t

It’s an incredible advantage they have and it’s rarely even appreciated by mainstream analysts, who haven’t progressed past neandarthal-like adding of total in’s and out’s

jesperjaap

Suddenly ESL doesn't look that bad
But saying football is now screwed with a money going into a club is hardly like it is a new thing? Lazio, Blackburn, Newcastle, just a few examples....thats a good twenty years or more again now.

Then look at some of the bigger clubs, Bayern still have so much power over other clubs in there league they can just hoover up the best talent from there competitors, isnt that just as obscene yet they are a hugely respected club? Even look at ourselves in the 80s and 90s, we had the power to go out and buy the best English players over other clubs breakig ntransfer records with the likes of Robson, Keane, Ferdinand, Rooney.

Dont get me wrong, I think there is a lot of bad things that have come in to the game with the level playing field all the tv money has bought in, especially regarding agents and the ridiculous fees now getting paid often because clubs no longer have to sell players being cash rich, but the ESL though I know you say it in jest would totally compound all these problems to another level.

I personally think levelling the playing field has been in some ways good, we wouldnt have a Leicester City for example but yes legislations do need to be bought in to make it a level playing field all round as despite all I have said to cap net spends on players/managers and salaries pr even the number of transfers over a period as average clubs shouldnt be allowed to just bring in a tonne of money and keep changing managers, players again and again and again spending more and more than anybody else with wages etc until success is gained. Though it is entertaining its a total lack of identity, for me Chelsea are the worst, bar the Mourinho years they have absolutely no identity to me

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Paredes and Verratti are claiming Kuipers said feck off and feck you to them a few times during the match.

Though they also said they were the better team until Di Maria's red, so not sure how serious it is.

SER19

Easiest run ever to a CL final maybe. Basically strolled to it where they'll face one of the weakest finalists in a long time. Its all been so easy due to the squad depth this season of all seasons.

They were always going to win it at some point which of course is part 1 of spoiling football through predictability, but to so blatantly buy it, is very damaging to the game. Let's not pretend it was all pure romance pre city, but the side who were getting battered 8-1 by Middlesbrough in recent memory and yo yoing between leagues now coasting the the 'big competition' is embarrassing for the sport

An Emirati state has bought the top spot in club football, they will take their sportswashing to club World Cup with a tiny club from Manchester. To sanitise their endless abuses. What an ugly ugly game

Mr.Kaya

So lets say we win the EL and City win the CL, that would mean United v City in the UEFA Supercup then, no?

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
But saying football is now screwed with a money going into a club is hardly like it is a new thing? Lazio, Blackburn, Newcastle, just a few examples....thats a good twenty years or more again now.

Then look at some of the bigger clubs, Bayern still have so much power over other clubs in there league they can just hoover up the best talent from there competitors, isnt that just as obscene yet they are a hugely respected club? Even look at ourselves in the 80s and 90s, we had the power to go out and buy the best English players over other clubs breakig ntransfer records with the likes of Robson, Keane, Ferdinand, Rooney.

Dont get me wrong, I think there is a lot of bad things that have come in to the game with the level playing field all the tv money has bought in, especially regarding agents and the ridiculous fees now getting paid often because clubs no longer have to sell players being cash rich, but the ESL though I know you say it in jest would totally compound all these problems to another level.

I personally think levelling the playing field has been in some ways good, we wouldnt have a Leicester City for example but yes legislations do need to be bought in to make it a level playing field all round as despite all I have said to cap net spends on players/managers and salaries pr even the number of transfers over a period as average clubs shouldnt be allowed to just bring in a tonne of money and keep changing managers, players again and again and again spending more and more than anybody else with wages etc until success is gained. Though it is entertaining its a total lack of identity, for me Chelsea are the worst, bar the Mourinho years they have absolutely no identity to me
I wasn't being serious with ESL.

Money going into PSG and Man City isnt the problem. It's who is financing it is the issue.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't understand how can people downplay this City team.

They've just beaten PSG quite comfortably over 2 games, Riyad feckin Mahrez scored two goals in semi final and they played without a striker. Gundogan is their leading goalscorer.

It's not luck, Pep has done amazing job with this team.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.

They've just beaten PSG quite comfortably over 2 games, Riyad feckin Mahrez scored two goals in semi final and they played without a striker. Gundogan is their leading goalscorer.

Its a miracle.

From playing Crewe in the late 90s to this. How did they do it!!

jesperjaap

They haven’t spent it well at all, they have arguably made more poor decisions in the transfer market than any other club, especially since they aren’t exactly shopping in the bargain bin.

The difference is they have the luxury of being able to make bad decisions and move on from them immediately. When they sign players who don’t work out, they can instantly replace them without having to worry about balancing the books.

In business, its called being able to “fail fast” i.e. to try something and then move on quickly without damage if it doesn’t work out.

In contrast, other clubs fail slow and have to balance the books. If United, for example, spend £80m on Lukaku, that means they don’t get to spend £80m on a defender (Maguire). If they then decide they want to sign Maguire, they have to first move Lukaku and leave themselves short in the forward positions. The opportunity costs are high for every club BAR City, for whom they are virtually zero.

I could give specific examples - the GKs, the full backs, the CBs...but feel its unnecessary... you either get the point by now or won’t

It’s an incredible advantage they have and it’s rarely even appreciated by mainstream analysts, who haven’t progressed past neandarthal-like adding of total in’s and out’s
First part I think personally the answer is somewhere in the middle. They have signed a tonne of players of course and had loads and loads of flops, especially in the centre back positions and have spent far more than any other side in Europe.....but on the same token, they have also generally sold players on reasonably price wise and also not broken any transfer records on individual transfers.

As for ourselves, come on. We have spent the second most, the simple fact is we have also made a tonne of awful transfers and worse than City we have often spent huge sums on these transfers. We also have a history going back a long way now of getting abslutely awful transfer fees for players. Apart from those we didnt want to sell I can only think of Lukaka as a decent sale value wise and even that was less than we paid for him wasnt it?

I get what you are saying, but there are simply no excuses, we have been awful in the transfer market over the last decade and lets face it, we have had loads of deadwood we not only could but most certainly should have sold over that period to put towards new signings. This summer for various reasons there are arguments for us selling DeGea, Bailly, Pogba, Lingard, Fred, potentially £200m worth of sales....Bailly has just been given a new contract when he has barely played and rarely performed since his first season, ther eis talk of a £500k per week for Pogba who despite his talent has hardly set the world on fire and been the case of many a debate for and against for FIVE years now, how can someone be getting offered half a million quid a week that divides fans so much......we may be moving in the right direction to a degree, but lets not use City as an excuse to why our transfer dealings on the whole have been dreadful in and out on the whole post Ferguson.....Im just an average fan, yet I could and have many a summer told people half the signings we have made simply arent good enough or right, and half th eother half simply couldnt comment cause knew nothing of Bailly and Martial, Pellestri, AMad for example. Right back to the awful signing of Fellaini and the wrong player in Mata under Moyes up to VDB again this summer being the wrong player when we probably could have got Grealish, we just keep doing it. I think Ole is profiling he right kind of players and attitudes so things are progressing but there is so much more we could do in the market and that has little to do with what you are sayign in my opnion anyway

Last edited:

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal

I'd agreee with this.

A bit salty here but then it's to be expected in all fairness.

They have a supreme squad this season. They will win it eventually. Football has changed forever. On one hand we have the capitalist yanks screwing football for personal gain. On the other hand we have the arabs who pump in money for their own football gratification... choose your side.

Heinzesight

Is a Manchester United forum really the best place to celebrate your team getting to the UCL final for the first time since its inception 10 years ago?
Imagine if we’d just beaten Barca in a CL semi and thinking, ‘do you know what, off I pop to Bluemoon’...odd, odd bastards.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
He's a dark arts maestro. :lol: Always quiet and sneaky, the cnut.
Why are so many people saying football is over and has lost its soul if Man City win the CL?

I'm sorry but it's as if you've only started watching football the past decade. I see what City has done as no different to that of Chelsea in the 00's.

So if you're suggesting football is over because of City then you're 20 years too late. The end started with Sky and their broadcasting rights and then Chelsea being pumped with money.
30 years late, not 20.

This started in the 90s, when money started to become a huge factor in teams success, due to globalization and Vossman.

Bundesliga had more than 2 competitive international teams before the 90s, it was not only Bayern Munich like nowadays, they lost that since 90s.

Vossman and modern money ruined everything, except for rich teams likes Madrid,Barcelona,United,Bayern,Juventus,City,etc of course.

Reactions: Sultan

diarm

Paredes and Verratti are claiming Kuipers said feck off and feck you to them a few times during the match.

Though they also said they were the better team until Di Maria's red, so not sure how serious it is.
They're saying he said "feck you". I saw some fella on twitter say they probably interrupted while he was trying to say "feck, you guys are shite without Mbappe".

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Do people really care about City winning trophies?
The answer to this is yes, and its clear as day if you read any given rival forum or talk to any given rival fan. The whole "does anyone really care, they are not proper" nonsense usually rears its head after the fact and is nowhere to be seen while the event of us winning actually unfolds. It's normal fan-behaviour though, we're all hypocrites usually.

Loved that today. They were all magnificent, but the left-back Zin has become is beyond words. Unfortunate that a game like this came during a time where fans werent allowed to attend (que the Emptihad jokes) it would have been electric tonight

Reactions: Sultan

Hulksmash

Your opinion. Enjoy it.
My friend is a Bayern supporter and he agrees that City this season is a tiny bit better because of their defense .But he also said that Bayern played way better then City against PSG with Gnabry and Lewandowski injured.

Bayern vs City would be a incredible match but FIFA ruined it with their International duty , where Lewandowski got injured against Andorra and Gnabry got Covid during National Team

Dominos

I'm going to play devil's advocate a little bit here.

These ties come down to taking your chances at key moments.

PSG could and maybe should have gone 2-0 up in the first leg, potentially it's a different tie if this happens. They concede a couple of awful goals and PSG lose their composure and go down to 10 men and throw the first leg away.

2nd leg, 1st half Marquinhos hits the bar and Di Maria puts it wide on an open goal, and Mahrez takes City's only clear chance at the other end. Again, taking chances at the key moments define the tie. This leaves PSG in a bad position where they need to take risks and leave themselves open to the counter. 2nd half they again lose their composure, get a man sent off and the margins look at lot wider than they actually were.

Now City deserved to go through because they kept their composure and didn't behave like children. But I don't think the gap between the 2 teams was as wide as some are suggesting.

Marwood

You're right about moving on from expensive mistakes, but all clubs do make mistakes. Taking the entire transfer activity into account, I think they've spent very well.

More than Pep or any individual manager that's been key.

I still think the next couple of years will be interesting. I thought they'd struggle more this season to be honest and the start went as I expected. That awesome spine has all but disappeared and I think it needs replacing.

However Foden went up a level and Gundogan came out of hibernation with goals.

That along with the covid situation and a poor Champs League standard has seen them through.

Let's see next year when hopefully all returns to normal. Us that bit stronger, Liverpool back to themselves, a regular schedule.