Champions league Semi Finals 2020-21 - April 27-28 and May 4-5

George the Cat

Chelsea be on par with Nottm Forest if they win it again.
Could be two all English finals in Europe though I think Villarreal will have something to say about that.

Suv666

Well we have a chance to win the Europa League!

So you won’t be happy or celebrate if we win it then, another European trophy, to add to our collection?

Might as well not bother watching
Yeah sure I'll be happy but comparing CL to Europa is like comparing a Vauxhall to a Ferrari. Both are cars but you wont talk in a condescending tone to a guy who wants the latter would ya?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Yeah sure I'll be happy but comparing CL to Europa is like comparing a Vauxhall to a Ferrari. Both are cars but you wont talk in a condescending tone to a guy who wants the latter would ya?
To compare the Europa League to a Vauxhall is a bit disrespectful. It’s not a carabao cup. Even then winning that is something to be proud of. Look at City and they’ve won it 4 on the bounce, it’s still a trophy at the end of the day, not the ultimate trophy but it’s a trophy.

The Europa League is still a prestigious cup.Sure it’s not as prestigious as a UCL the one everyone wants to have. But it’s still a European cup and we should be proud to win one. Otherwise what’s the point in watching them play in it?

There’d be a lot of people p*ssed off if we got knocked out and #OleOut would start trending so they care enough to get #OleOut trending so the Europa League must mean something.

What I’m trying to say is don’t be so dismissive of the Europa League. Sure we would like the UCL but the Europa is a good competition to win. It’s not like it’s been a walk in the park either.

Maybe we could use it as a springboard to win even more next year or even the UCL?

Suv666

To compare the Europa League to a Vauxhall is a bit disrespectful. It’s not a carabao cup. Even then winning that is something to be proud of. Look at City and they’ve won it 4 on the bounce, it’s still a trophy at the end of the day, not the ultimate trophy but it’s a trophy.

The Europa League is still a prestigious cup.Sure it’s not as prestigious as a UCL the one everyone wants to have. But it’s still a European cup and we should be proud to win one. Otherwise what’s the point in watching them play in it?

There’d be a lot of people p*ssed off if we got knocked out and #OleOut would start trending so they care enough to get #OleOut trending so the Europa League must mean something.

What I’m trying to say is don’t be so dismissive of the Europa League. Sure we would like the UCL but the Europa is a good competition to win. It’s not like it’s been a walk in the park either.

Maybe we could use it as a springboard to win even more next year or even the UCL?
Europa is for teams who finish beneath the CL spots and crash out of the group stages.
Sure there is some prestige associated with it because its a European trophy and I'll be chuffed if we win it but lets not kid ourselves, its not a competition we should be in. Seville has won it a billion times that didn't change their status from mid-table mediocrity to European powerhouse.

I'm not being dismissive of Europa but you can't justify winning Europa as a reason not to be jealous of City or Chelsea.
Reckon playing the CL final is more prestigious than winning Europa tbh.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
COVID season, the two deepest sides in Europe, the ones who spent significant money on transfers, face each other in CL final

Also Tuchel proving the importance of managers in the modern game once again. Small wonder we're starting to see "big" transfer fees for managers now

Raredaredevil

Europa is for teams who finish beneath the CL spots and crash out of the group stages.
Sure there is some prestige associated with it because its a European trophy and I'll be chuffed if we win it but lets not kid ourselves, its not a competition we should be in. Seville has won it a billion times that didn't change their status from mid-table mediocrity to European powerhouse.

I'm not being dismissive of Europa but you can't justify winning Europa as a reason not to be jealous of City or Chelsea.
Definitely not. No one gives a shit about runner-ups. A trophy is still a trophy at the end of the day. Atletico Madrid won the Europa League before using that as a springboard to become a powerhouse in Europe and compete consistently in the CL. Sevilla might not be a European powerhouse but they are still regarded as a top team as you can see with them challenging for the title and now consistently qualifies for the CL.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
COVID season, the two deepest sides in Europe, the ones who spent significant money on transfers, face each other in CL final

Also Tuchel proving the importance of managers in the modern game once again. Small wonder we're starting to see "big" transfer fees for managers now
As unsurprising as it is depressing.

pauldyson1uk

I cant agree with that, you really think only playing in the CL Final is a better achievement the winning the EL , winning actual silverware.
100% rubbish, losing in a Final is horrible, nobody remembers who lost any CL Final.

Rajma

I cant agree with that, you really think only playing in the CL Final is a better achievement the winning the EL , winning actual silverware.
100% rubbish, losing in a Final is horrible, nobody remembers who lost any CL Final.
Nonsense. What would you choose a chance to play in a CL final or guaranteed EL title?

SuperiorXI

CL Final with Chelsea is about the worse outcome, only thing worse would be City v Liverpool
Saw your location, fellow Wythenshawe dude. Seen the number of City shirts slowly creeping up over the last few years? Especially with the kids. fecks me right off, they used to call us glory hunters.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
So either Manchester wins its 4th or London its 2nd(!!).
Embarrassing that the capital city which according to Jose smells football - and which has so many football clubs including some relatively big ones - has only won it once in the history of football. And even that was made in Russia.

So come on London! Russia is behind you again. You can do it!

Suv666

Thats like your opinion man

UTD_Since_1978

twitter]1390077043468013573
Can't understand what he says but I can guess, bottom line I think is that he wants Hazard out of Real Madrid & I agree.

If we lost a CL SF or Final & I saw one of our players laughing & smiling I would be equally furious as the guy in the vid.

GlasgowCeltic

It'll always be the "Thursday nights, Channel 5" Cup to me

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Nobody remembers 2nd place in anything. Win it or you are first losers.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I’m not sure what “this” is but it does seem as though spending an absolute shit load of money on new players, when everyone else is broke, then getting some easy draws has been enough to get Chelsea to a CL final.

I still Tuchel might fall one short in his quest to match the achievements of the mighty Roberto DiMatteo, mind you.
It's almost as if selling Hazard and Morata for shit loads gave us a lot to play with.

George the Cat

With you on that, I do not remember 2009 and 2011 with any fondness thinking wow we got to the Champs league final how prestigious. Our 1991 Cup winners cup win is still one of the greatest nights as a United fan.

Suv666

Definitely not. No one gives a shit about runner-ups. A trophy is still a trophy at the end of the day. Atletico Madrid won the Europa League before using that as a springboard to become a powerhouse in Europe and compete consistently in the CL. Sevilla might not be a European powerhouse but they are still regarded as a top team as you can see with them challenging for the title and now consistently qualifies for the CL.
No one gives a shit about Europa either mate. If you're in a CL final you're the 2nd best team in Europe. You can land a couple of half decent players on the back of that. Trying selling well we have won a couple of Europa's in the past, that's prestigious init to a half decent player.

Its a controversial opinion I understand. But half of yous are defending it just because United are in it. We all had a go when other teams won it and fairly so, its a 2nd tier competition no one watches it except the fans of the teams involved or avid football fans.

Fair enough if you disagree. A trophy is a trophy at the end of the day. Better than no silverware at all.

Stocar

Too much significance is generally given to cup competitions. If Chelsea and Arsenal win in the finals, it doesn't mean they're better than United and City, and shouldn't mean they've had better seasons. It's great to win a cup, but people take it too seriously.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Too much significance is generally given to cup competitions. If Chelsea and Arsenal win in the finals, it doesn't mean they're better than United and City, and shouldn't mean they've had better seasons. It's great to win a cup, but people take it too seriously.
Horses for courses, with Arsenal (if they keep Arteta) it will probably mean shit in the grand scheme of things as they've raised their game for cups and still not progressed, Chelsea and United i think would get a hell of a lot out of winning their respective European tournaments this season more than they would league.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Just popped on Bluemoon. No point going to the final, seems they've already won it according to their lot. Walk in the park

padr81

Supports
Man City
For all the talk about money Pep has fantastic depth but what money has been given to City has been spent well in the main. This is not me trying to shit on any United or any other club but...

Ederson (perfect keeper for our system but not in anyone elses) - Half the price of Kepa or Allison.
Zinchenko - £1.2m, probably the best value LB in recent history not called Andy Robertson. He cost roughly 1/4 the price of Robertson and 1/14th of Shaw. 1/22nd of Chilwell and even 1/6th of Telles.
For roughly the cost of Pogba, Fernandes, Matic, Fred and Van DeBeek (5 players). City bought KDB, Fernandinho, Rodri, Bernardo, Gundogan and Sterling (6 players) approx £250m for both groups of players.
Timo Werner or Martial with add ons he has hit (25 caps for France and 25 league goals) according to most sources cost approx what City paid for Torres and Jesus combined.
John Stones and Ruben Dias cost about £110m, roughly around the ball park of Maguire and Lindelof.
Walker cost similar to AWB or Chilwell etc..

The entire left side of our teams vs PSG in the second leg cost approx £80m (Dias, Zinchenko, Foden and Gundogan) obviously we're lucky to have a youth like Foden in there but putting that in perspective that's less than any one player from Eden Hazrd, Paul Pogba, Dembele, Griezmann, Coutinho (Jesus Barca... any wonder you are a billion in debt) or Joao Felix.

Pep has managed to make players like Delph and Zinchenko looks like top class fbs (ironcially failing with the only expensive lb he bought).

The City transfer philosophy was clear vs PSG. They spunked 300m on 2 players, one had a bad game and the other was out injured. For the same money City has Dias, Stones, KDB, Gundogan, Rodri, and Walker.
In fact the City team who started the 2nd leg cost approx £410m, PSG couldn't do that because they had £130m on the bench with an injury.

Now I'm not saying Pep isn't blessed with the most expensive squad in the world because he clearly is and he has more depth than just about every team in history bar maybe Reals Galacticos but Cities philosophy of buying the many in a 40 to 60m price range over other clubs, spend huge on 1 or 2 wc players and fill it with fodder and a weak bench is clear for all to see. So yeah we've spent a metric shit ton on players but we've spent it well, very well.

For example imagine United spent 20m less on Pogba, Maguire plus hadn't bought VDB. They could have had a Mahrez for that right wing spot thats empty and 20m in change, or almost 2 Bernardo Silva's along with those players.

The gap in results is bigger say between City and United or City and PSG than it should be relative to spending because of Cities spending philosophy but more importantly because of Pep. Even with our current squad nobody not even Klopp does what Pep has. I don't think there are many City fans who'd turn their nose up at Rashford, Pogba, Fernandes, AWB, Maguire, Lindelof or Shaw and neither would Pep. Pep would absolutely have the current United squad playing the same style of football his City do but he'd likely have spent what money he had much wiser.. Not a slight on Ole, he's relatively new to the top level compared to Pep and fixing a messy squad left by Jose which hes getting to grips with after some wobbly spots but swap managers at the beginning of the season and we'd likely have swapped league positions too. Swap Pep and Lampard at the seasons start and Chelsea are likely top and we're fighting for 4th.

Again not shitting on United, they just happen to have the 2nd most expensive squad in football history right now and are the closest rival in terms of spending so the easiest place to make price comparisons because barca's spending is so ridiculously stupid its unfair and PSG put all there budget into 3 players..