Champions league Semi Finals 2020-21 - April 27-28 and May 4-5

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

Has this been posted yet? Hilarious.
That intro is like a Crimewatch introduction :lol:

No one gives a shit about Europa either mate. If you're in a CL final you're the 2nd best team in Europe. You can land a couple of half decent players on the back of that. Trying selling well we have won a couple of Europa's in the past, that's prestigious init to a half decent player.

Its a controversial opinion I understand. But half of yous are defending it just because United are in it. We all had a go when other teams won it and fairly so, its a 2nd tier competition no one watches it except the fans of the teams involved or avid football fans.

Fair enough if you disagree. A trophy is a trophy at the end of the day. Better than no silverware at all.
Yeah, I have to agree with this. No one really gives a feck about the Ropey League. It is a bit like the League Cup, great for the fans that win it/you only start really taking it serious from the semi final onwards. That is not to say winning it isn't good, it is just what it is a 2nd rate competition.

However, going back to the orginal comment that kicked this off. It is all dependent on whether one has hindsight or not. If you asked me, what would you rather at the start of the season, a Ropey League title or a place in the CL final. I would take the CL final all day. If instead it was would you rather be Runners up in the CL or winners of the Ropey, I would actually probably go for the Ropey, but that is due to me not being able to take defeats well :wenger:

Just popped on Bluemoon. No point going to the final, seems they've already won it according to their lot. Walk in the park
Sounds like there needs to be some screen shots to be had so if Chelsea win they can be used on the Bluemoon Meltdown thread.

For all the talk about money Pep has fantastic depth but what money has been given to City has been spent well in the main. This is not me trying to shit on any United or any other club but...

Ederson (perfect keeper for our system but not in anyone elses) - Half the price of Kepa or Allison.
Zinchenko - £1.2m, probably the best value LB in recent history not called Andy Robertson. He cost roughly 1/4 the price of Robertson and 1/14th of Shaw. 1/22nd of Chilwell and even 1/6th of Telles.
For roughly the cost of Pogba, Fernandes, Matic, Fred and Van DeBeek (5 players). City bought KDB, Fernandinho, Rodri, Bernardo, Gundogan and Sterling (6 players) approx £250m for both groups of players.
Timo Werner or Martial with add ons he has hit (25 caps for France and 25 league goals) according to most sources cost approx what City paid for Torres and Jesus combined.
John Stones and Ruben Dias cost about £110m, roughly around the ball park of Maguire and Lindelof.
Walker cost similar to AWB or Chilwell etc..

The entire left side of our teams vs PSG in the second leg cost approx £80m (Dias, Zinchenko, Foden and Gundogan) obviously we're lucky to have a youth like Foden in there but putting that in perspective that's less than any one player from Eden Hazrd, Paul Pogba, Dembele, Griezmann, Coutinho (Jesus Barca... any wonder you are a billion in debt) or Joao Felix.

Pep has managed to make players like Delph and Zinchenko looks like top class fbs (ironcially failing with the only expensive lb he bought).

The City transfer philosophy was clear vs PSG. They spunked 300m on 2 players, one had a bad game and the other was out injured. For the same money City has Dias, Stones, KDB, Gundogan, Rodri, and Walker.
In fact the City team who started the 2nd leg cost approx £410m, PSG couldn't do that because they had £130m on the bench with an injury.

Now I'm not saying Pep isn't blessed with the most expensive squad in the world because he clearly is and he has more depth than just about every team in history bar maybe Reals Galacticos but Cities philosophy of buying the many in a 40 to 60m price range over other clubs, spend huge on 1 or 2 wc players and fill it with fodder and a weak bench is clear for all to see. So yeah we've spent a metric shit ton on players but we've spent it well, very well.

For example imagine United spent 20m less on Pogba, Maguire plus hadn't bought VDB. They could have had a Mahrez for that right wing spot thats empty and 20m in change, or almost 2 Bernardo Silva's along with those players.

The gap in results is bigger say between City and United or City and PSG than it should be relative to spending because of Cities spending philosophy but more importantly because of Pep. Even with our current squad nobody not even Klopp does what Pep has. I don't think there are many City fans who'd turn their nose up at Rashford, Pogba, Fernandes, AWB, Maguire, Lindelof or Shaw and neither would Pep. Pep would absolutely have the current United squad playing the same style of football his City do but he'd likely have spent what money he had much wiser.. Not a slight on Ole, he's relatively new to the top level compared to Pep and fixing a messy squad left by Jose which hes getting to grips with after some wobbly spots but swap managers at the beginning of the season and we'd likely have swapped league positions too. Swap Pep and Lampard at the seasons start and Chelsea are likely top and we're fighting for 4th.

Again not shitting on United, they just happen to have the 2nd most expensive squad in football history right now and are the closest rival in terms of spending so the easiest place to make price comparisons because barca's spending is so ridiculously stupid its unfair and PSG put all there budget into 3 players..
Yeah, this is all great and true to an extent but you fail to mention players such as; Mendy, Cancelo (use you conveniently use Zin instead), Mahrez, Bravo, Danilo, Ake who where either expensive or a flop.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Why do people say this? I remember Chelsea lost in 2009. Let's not baseline our sayings to what fans with limited memory can remember.

Many people say it because it is true. There is only one team holding the trophy at the end. There are no all night celebrations for 2nd place. No parades for 2nd place. It is winner takes all. Nobody cares about who finished 2nd.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Many people say it because it is true. There is only one team holding the trophy at the end. There are no all night celebrations for 2nd place. No parades for 2nd place. It is winner takes all. Nobody cares about who finished 2nd.
In comparison to the Europa eague though which is what the topic is I guarantee you I could name the losers of the last 20 cl campaigns in order
After ourselves sevilla a bunch of times Man Utd atletico shaktar. Genuinely off the top of my head I can't name Europa WINNERS in that timeframe

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Of course people do. Klopp got huge plaudits for taking Liverpool to the CL final the year before he won it. It's a cliche that idiot in Ricky Bobby said, that fans run with when they want to be denigrating of anyone except the winners. There are no parades but there is recognition at a minimum standard being met.

Next you'll tell me no one (literally no one on planet earth) cares about who finishes 2nd to 4th.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Plastic final really isn't it?

I guess that anyone who doesn't support these historically massive European clubs (ahem), don't really have much interest.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Sounds like there needs to be some screen shots to be had so if Chelsea win they can be used on the Bluemoon Meltdown thread.
Tell me about it. I'm all for confidence but there's being confident and being overly cocky. Like claiming today if we win it means nothing in regards to CL final, but if they win, its one hand on the CL trophy. I dont understand their logic sometimes....

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
For all the talk about money Pep has fantastic depth but what money has been given to City has been spent well in the main. This is not me trying to shit on any United or any other club but...

Ederson (perfect keeper for our system but not in anyone elses) - Half the price of Kepa or Allison.
Zinchenko - £1.2m, probably the best value LB in recent history not called Andy Robertson. He cost roughly 1/4 the price of Robertson and 1/14th of Shaw. 1/22nd of Chilwell and even 1/6th of Telles.
For roughly the cost of Pogba, Fernandes, Matic, Fred and Van DeBeek (5 players). City bought KDB, Fernandinho, Rodri, Bernardo, Gundogan and Sterling (6 players) approx £250m for both groups of players.
Timo Werner or Martial with add ons he has hit (25 caps for France and 25 league goals) according to most sources cost approx what City paid for Torres and Jesus combined.
John Stones and Ruben Dias cost about £110m, roughly around the ball park of Maguire and Lindelof.
Well sure when you move every goalpost to fit your narrative of course it's going to look favourably

JSArsenal

Yeah, this is all great and true to an extent but you fail to mention players such as; Mendy, Cancelo (use you conveniently use Zin instead), Mahrez, Bravo, Danilo, Ake who where either expensive or a flop.
Not to mention all the expensive players that came before and laid the foundation for these guys. Let's not pretend that City went from Joey Barton and Danny Mills to Bernardo and Aguero

U99ted

Why do people say this? I remember Chelsea lost in 2009. Let's not baseline our sayings to what fans with limited memory can remember.
They lost in 2009 (technically drawing twice and going out on away goals), but they didn't reach the final.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I used the team that beat PSG, I've clearly said he has a massive squad.

cyberman

People almost shared the premier league title between City and Liverpool a dew years ago.
If anything its losing CL finalists that are forgotten unless for meme purposes

TheReligion

Abusive

The entire left side of our teams vs PSG in the second leg cost approx £80m (Dias, Zinchenko, Foden and Gundogan) obviously we're lucky to have a youth like Foden in there but putting that in perspective that's less than any one player from Eden Hazrd, Paul Pogba, Dembele, Griezmann, Coutinho (Jesus Barca... any wonder you are a billion in debt) or Joao Felix.

Pep has managed to make players like Delph and Zinchenko looks like top class fbs (ironcially failing with the only expensive lb he bought).

The City transfer philosophy was clear vs PSG. They spunked 300m on 2 players, one had a bad game and the other was out injured. For the same money City has Dias, Stones, KDB, Gundogan, Rodri, and Walker.
In fact the City team who started the 2nd leg cost approx £410m, PSG couldn't do that because they had £130m on the bench with an injury.

Now I'm not saying Pep isn't blessed with the most expensive squad in the world because he clearly is and he has more depth than just about every team in history bar maybe Reals Galacticos but Cities philosophy of buying the many in a 40 to 60m price range over other clubs, spend huge on 1 or 2 wc players and fill it with fodder and a weak bench is clear for all to see. So yeah we've spent a metric shit ton on players but we've spent it well, very well.

For example imagine United spent 20m less on Pogba, Maguire plus hadn't bought VDB. They could have had a Mahrez for that right wing spot thats empty and 20m in change, or almost 2 Bernardo Silva's along with those players.

The gap in results is bigger say between City and United or City and PSG than it should be relative to spending because of Cities spending philosophy but more importantly because of Pep. Even with our current squad nobody not even Klopp does what Pep has. I don't think there are many City fans who'd turn their nose up at Rashford, Pogba, Fernandes, AWB, Maguire, Lindelof or Shaw and neither would Pep. Pep would absolutely have the current United squad playing the same style of football his City do but he'd likely have spent what money he had much wiser.. Not a slight on Ole, he's relatively new to the top level compared to Pep and fixing a messy squad left by Jose which hes getting to grips with after some wobbly spots but swap managers at the beginning of the season and we'd likely have swapped league positions too. Swap Pep and Lampard at the seasons start and Chelsea are likely top and we're fighting for 4th.

Again not shitting on United, they just happen to have the 2nd most expensive squad in football history right now and are the closest rival in terms of spending so the easiest place to make price comparisons because barca's spending is so ridiculously stupid its unfair and PSG put all there budget into 3 players..
Interesting theory although you lost me by suggesting Zinchenko is better than Shaw

charlenefan

What goal posts have been moved. Was I lying? or being false?
Well let's start with Zinchenko first shall we? He cost 1/14 the price of Shaw according to you, I'd argue he cost that because he's 1/14th the player Shaw is. I could respond that a closer comparison in terms of ability is Mendy v Telles and who got the better deal there? Mendy at 50m or Telles at 15m?

The midfield you've included Fernandinho for some reason who was purchased 3 years before Guardiola even arrived at City. You've also for some reason included Sterling who's a winger/attacker so I could argue that 'our' Sterling cost us £0 in Rashford.

With Martial no one knows how much we've paid for him, the only widely accepted number in that transfer was 57m including addons one of which was him winning a Ballon D'Or so you actually don't know if he cost more than Jesus and Torres combined. I'd also argue who cares anyway, Martial is better than both combined anyway

Stone & Dias yes as a pair look better value for money (because of Dias) but individually before this season had Stones looked anywhere near a 50m CB? Would City look much worse with 20m cheaper Lindelof next to Dias? No.

What you've not so cleverly done is by including duff signings with those who have turned out to be gems is because the two balance one another out you've claimed it money well spent whereas fact is like most clubs you get some right and you get some wrong. Was Stones worth 50m? No. Was Mendy worth 50m? No. Was Rodri worth 60m+? Not a chance in hell no. Could City have signed better players than them for less money? Yes.

charlenefan

I'll also add on this point yes our squad is the 2nd most expensive in the league but It's 2nd behind yours by around 180m

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Well we have a chance to win the Europa League!

So you won’t be happy or celebrate if we win it then, another European trophy, to add to our collection?

Might as well not bother watching
I don’t get supporters who denigrate trophies. Especially when there’s been a dry spell. Europa League/UEFA cup, whatever you want to call it is a respectable trophy.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

I don't think Pep has spent badly but I wouldn't say he's spend excellently either. City have had an enormous amount and not spent it poorly under him. He can feck up and just go again for the same position which no other manager can. Whereas our spending under multiple managers has been rubbish (as has the coaching) and PSG's has been imbalanced (chasing heroes rather than building a team).

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Plastic final really isn't it?

I guess that anyone who doesn't support these historically massive European clubs (ahem), don't really have much interest.
Don’t know about that. Almost a bright side to both results. A Chelsea win and Pep get’s questioned pretty hard about not winning the big one and perhaps loses his shit in the process. A City win will upset a certain set of rival supporters who will be devastated at now seeing City dominate at home and abroad for the foreseeable future.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Don’t know about that. Almost a bright side to both results. A Chelsea win and Pep get’s questioned pretty hard about not winning the big one and perhaps loses his shit in the process. A City win will upset a certain set of rival supporters who will be devastated at now seeing City dominate at home and abroad for the foreseeable future.
Liverpool fans I presume? I know how much City mean to you.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I'll also add on this point yes our squad is the 2nd most expensive in the league but It's 2nd behind yours by around 180m
And you think £180m would remove the gap given how you've spent previously? Also is it 2nd in the world not just the PL (though I could be wrong)

charlenefan

And you think £180m would remove the gap given how you've spent previously? Also is it 2nd in the world not just the PL (though I could be wrong)
you are

1st City
2nd PSG
3rd Real Madrid
4th Man Utd

padr81

Supports
Man City
you are

1st City
2nd PSG
3rd Real Madrid
4th Man Utd
I didn't think PSGs squad was more expensive than yours nor Reals but then Real have bought the core of that squad for a lot of money along time ago. I'm really surprised Barca aren't above Real too.

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Of course people do. Klopp got huge plaudits for taking Liverpool to the CL final the year before he won it. It's a cliche that idiot in Ricky Bobby said, that fans run with when they want to be denigrating of anyone except the winners. There are no parades but there is recognition at a minimum standard being met.

Next you'll tell me no one (literally no one on planet earth) cares about who finishes 2nd to 4th.
Indeed.

Without googling, CL "1st losers": PSG, Spurs, Liverpool, Juve, Atletico, Juve, Atletico, Dortmund, Bayern, United, Bayern, United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Milan, Monaco, Juve.
The years before that include Valencia, Leverkusen and Bayern, in some order.

For half of them I even have a vague idea of which teams they beat to get to the final.

Europa league winners: Sevilla, Chelsea, Sevilla maybe, ??? Also no idea how any of them got to the final. And funnily enough, for the 3 winners I can remember, I can also remember the finalists - Inter, Arsenal, Liverpool.

BlackShark_80

2021 UEFA Champions League final refereeing team

Referee: Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz (Spain)

Assistants: Pau Cebrián Devis, Roberto Díaz Pérez del Palomar (both Spain)

4th official: Carlos del Cerro Grande (Spain)

VAR: Alejandro José Hernández Hernández (Spain)

VAR Assistants: Juan Martínez Munuera, Íñigo Prieto López de Cerain (both Spain), Pawel Gil (Poland)

Thunderhead

Supports
City

2021 UEFA Champions League final refereeing team

Referee: Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz (Spain)

Assistants: Pau Cebrián Devis, Roberto Díaz Pérez del Palomar (both Spain)

4th official: Carlos del Cerro Grande (Spain)

VAR: Alejandro José Hernández Hernández (Spain)

VAR Assistants: Juan Martínez Munuera, Íñigo Prieto López de Cerain (both Spain), Pawel Gil (Poland)

This is the bloke that booked Aguero for diving after being taken down by the keeper v Monaco a few seasons ago, not sure if he was also the ref when we played Liverpool and he was terrible then too

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
This is the bloke that booked Aguero for diving after being taken down by the keeper v Monaco a few seasons ago, not sure if he was also the ref when we played Liverpool and he was terrible then too
Let's hope he stays true to form then !