Champions League Semi Finals (30th April - 8th May)

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Tuesday 30th April 2019
Tottenham - Ajax

Wednesday 1st May 2019
Barcelona - Liverpool

Tuesday 7th May 2019
Liverpool - Barcelona

Wednesday 8th May 2019
Ajax - Tottenham

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Spurs v Ajax is too close to call, Spurs have already dicked a young attacking side in Dortmund but this Ajax side has just knocked out Real and Juve. Cant call that one

Liverpool v Barca I can only see one outcome and it aint good :(

Jacob

Spurs v Ajax is too close to call, Spurs have already dicked a young attacking side in Dortmund but this Ajax side has just knocked out Real and Juve. Cant call that one

Liverpool v Barca I can only see one outcome and it aint good :(
Barca are the favourites. Their football will hamper Liverpool for sure.

Raw

I feel like Liverpool having the 2nd leg at Anfield will be huge for them. Get out of Nou Camp with a draw or even a tight loss and I think they'll go through.

Jacob

I feel like Liverpool having the 2nd leg at Anfield will be huge for them. Get out of Nou Camp with a draw or even a tight loss and I think they'll go through.
As always, ifs and buts. Barca are just as capable of delivering at Anfield. Messi alone is a huge advantage.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Knowing the Vermin’s luck this season, Messi will be struck down with some medieval disease in the next two weeks and miss both legs of the semi-final. Put that man into quarantine until the 1st of May, for the love of God.

charlenefan

I like your optimism but Barca weren't great in either game against us, their midfield will struggle with Liverpool's press and their defence will be run ragged by Liverpool's front 3. I can also see Suarez and Coutinho getting serious stage fright against their old club and then there's the fact the second leg is at Anfield

I'm calling it Liverpool will progress comfortably

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Approximate odds to win the Champions League at this moment:

Barcelona 2.50
Liverpool 3.55
Tottenham 5.00
Ajax 5.00

Both games are too close to call imo. Could go either way.

Jacob

I like your optimism but Barca weren't great in either game against us, their midfield will struggle with Liverpool's press and their defence will be run ragged by Liverpool's front 3. I can also see Suarez and Coutinho getting serious stage fright against their old club and then there's the fact the second leg is at Anfield

Each to his own, I guess. The stage fright you talk about usually works the opposite way too. We've seen that many times, players coming back to haunt their old clubs.

It could go either way, but I wouldn't call it comfortable for Liverpool.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Knowing the Vermin’s luck this season, Messi will be struck down with some medieval disease in the next two weeks and miss both legs of the semi-final. Put that man into quarantine until the 1st of May, for the love of God.
Our luck in the cups hasn't been great besides the one draw against Porto. Got Chelsea in the league cup, Wolves in the FA cup, the toughest CL group, and Bayern in the RO16.

But yeah, two really exciting semis. Ajax vs Spurs should be a cracking match for the neutral.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Our problem is first leg vs Ajax we're missing Son, with Kane already out.

That's going to be a problem. We need Lucas to step up big time.

youmeletsfly

As always, ifs and buts. Barca are just as capable of delivering at Anfield. Messi alone is a huge advantage.
We've seen Barca's defensive play is not that great if they're on the receiving end.
We were good at times in the 1st leg with the high press, only that our midfielders were not completely in sync and theirs just occupied the gaps left and easily out-passed our high press. Liverpool are better than us at pressing and, as painful as it sounds, they have a much better chance of beating Barca than us just based on the type of football they play.

Buchan

Same shite, different years. There were doomsdayers here last year saying the same for the Madrid game, that their legs were gone and Liverpool’s press would trample over them in a comfortable victory. Truth be told, bar a frenetic opening ten minutes, Liverpool rarely saw the ball. Modric ran the show and Madrid’s use of the ball rendered Liverpool’s press mute. Barcelona’s midfield (and team in general) are even better at keeping the ball and ensure you chase shadows.

Can Wijnaldum, Milner and Henderson really compete with Busquets, Rakitic and Arthur? Can that Liverpool defence curtail Messi, Suarez and Dembele? (Don’t worry about Coutinho, he won’t start - even if I agree with your assertion that he’d be prone to stage fright v his own club, Suarez less so given his mental resilience and don’t-give-a-feck attitude on the field.)

Of course Liverpool have the potential to shred Barcelona in the transitions if Barcelona cough the ball up in dangerous areas but Valverde and his players will know that’s Liverpool only major forte. They’ll be well wise to this and will suitably prepare. How do you prepare for Messi if you are Liverpool, however? Double-team him? He’ll just find the player in the better position. Go 1v1 and hope Robertson is up to the task? Robertson has been very shaky defensively this season and it would be a huge gamble by Klopp. Have no plan for Messi and trust your system? Pah! Messi will run amok in the freedom he’s afforded.

I was confident last May that Madrid’s quality would overcome any bum-rush tactic Klopp would conjure up and I have the same confidence Barcelona will do the same. If they can stop Liverpool scoring at the Nou Camp (easier said than done, mind, but not outside the realms of possibility considering we do it to Liverpool at Old Trafford routinely), they’ll qualify as I can’t see Liverpool keeping a clean sheet at Anfield if they need to score in the home leg. Barcelona will exploit the gaps they leave expertly. This is a side who think nothing of going to red-hot atmospheres like the Bernabeu and Atletico’s new place and dominating games with plenty of goals scored to boot, and people here are worried about the ‘Anfield factor’? Give me strength.

Last edited:

charlenefan

Same shite, different years. There were doomsdayers here last year saying the same for the Madrid game, that their legs were gone and Liverpool’s press would trample over them in a comfortable victory. Truth be told, bar a frenetic opening ten minutes, Liverpool rarely saw the ball. Modric ran the show and Madrid’s use of the ball rendered Liverpool’s press mute. Barcelona’s midfield (and team in general) are even better at keeping the ball and ensure you chase shadows.

Can Wijnaldum, Milner and Henderson really compete with Busquets, Rakitic and Arthur? Can that Liverpool defence curtail Messi, Suarez and Dembele? (Don’t worry about Coutinho, he won’t start - even if I agree with your assertion that he’d be prone to stage fright v his own club, Suarez less so given his mental resilience and don’t-give-a-feck attitude on the field.)

Of course Liverpool have the potential to shred Barcelona in the transitions if Barcelona cough the ball up in dangerous areas but Valverde and his players will know that’s Liverpool one major forte. They’ll be well wise to this and will suitably prepare. How do you prepare for Messi if you are Liverpool? Double-team him? He’ll just find the player in the better position? Go 1v1 and Hope Robertson is up to the task? Robertson has been very shaky defensively this season and it would be a huge gamble by Klopp. Have no plan for Messi and trust your system? Pah! Messi will run amok in the freedom he’s afforded.

I was confident last May that Madrid’s quality would overcome any bum-rush tactic Klopp would conjure up and I have the same confidence Barcelona will do the same. If they can stop Liverpool scoring at the Nou Camp (easier said than done, mind, but not outside the realms of possibility considering we do it to Liverpool at Old Trafford routinely), they’ll qualify as I can’t see Liverpool keeping a clean sheet at Anfield if they need to score in the home leg. Barcelona will exploit the gaps they leave expertly. This is a side who think nothing of going to red-hot atmospheres like the Bernabeu and Atletico’s new place and dominating games with plenty of goals scored to boot, and people here are worried about the ‘Anfield factor’? Give me strength.
I hear what you're saying but Barca didn't look good against us at all, there's a reason why Fred and McTominay got so many plaudits in both legs and Liverpool are better than us (considerably)

Barca will have to improve massively from their showing in both games against us because unlike us Liverpool wont gift them goals

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool

Of course Liverpool have the potential to shred Barcelona in the transitions if Barcelona cough the ball up in dangerous areas but Valverde and his players will know that’s Liverpool one major forte. They’ll be well wise to this and will suitably prepare. How do you prepare for Messi if you are Liverpool? Double-team him? He’ll just find the player in the better position? Go 1v1 and Hope Robertson is up to the task? Robertson has been very shaky defensively this season and it would be a huge gamble by Klopp. Have no plan for Messi and trust your system? Pah! Messi will run amok in the freedom he’s afforded.

While there's definitely a lot of truth in what you've said, let's not forget this is the same Barcelona team that went out to Roma last year.

They've a real problem stepping it up away from home right now, and have done for a few years. Part of it is down to their league being somewhat of a formality, so even if they do have the players (on paper & historically) to put us to the sword, going from second gear to top gear is no easy task, even for them.

If they play anything like they did at OT, we'll score 2-3 goals. Can we stop Messi from scoring? Probably not, but I'll be even more surprised if they can keep us from scoring. I'd give us the edge if we weren't going for the league, but as is, I'd give Barca the edge, but it's really not far from 50/50.

passing-wind

No idea how Barcelona are the favourites, Liverpool's record this season has been fantastic, Barca played poor against us at home and if the likes of Rashford and Lingard weren't championship tier players we would have had a 2-0 lead in the first half.

This is the same Barcelona team who got knocked out by Roma last season and the same Liverpool team who reached the final only to lose to individual brilliance of Bale and co. I've got Liverpool winning that fixture

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Of course Liverpool have the potential to shred Barcelona in the transitions if Barcelona cough the ball up in dangerous areas but Valverde and his players will know that’s Liverpool only major forte. They’ll be well wise to this and will suitably prepare. How do you prepare for Messi if you are Liverpool, however? Double-team him? He’ll just find the player in the better position. Go 1v1 and hope Robertson is up to the task? Robertson has been very shaky defensively this season and it would be a huge gamble by Klopp. Have no plan for Messi and trust your system? Pah! Messi will run amok in the freedom he’s afforded.

Let's ask the previous four or five teams that kept him out of the semis or final, I'd say? Did Roma do anything special? Did Lyon do anything special in the first leg? No - you take it as a given that he's going to have some God-like performance just because he's been that good this season, but that's far from certain. He'll have his influence no doubt but there are also games where he's simply quiet, e.g. the first leg at Old Trafford from what I remember.

Red-hot atmosphere in Bernabeu is also a stretch. Score once and they start to boo their own players. Barca have been going there since the Ronaldinho days without fear and knowing they can get something out of it. They go there every year. Most of them have never experienced Anfield in a CL semifinal - I'm not saying it's that special or anything, but if it doesn't intimidate any of them, at least the Kop will definitely have a positive impact on our own players.

For the record, I think you're being quite realistic in your view. We weren't going to blow away Real last year and won't do the same to Barcelona. However they are not the invincible force some make them out to be either just because of Messi. It's going to be tough but certainly possible.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Both SFs are very close to call, but if pushed I'll predict a Spurs vs Barca final.

I'd be feeling more confident about Spurs if it wasn't for our injury and suspensions list, which currently includes at least 4 or 5 players who'd otherwise probably be in our starting XI, namely Kane, Son (1st leg of tie), Sissoko, Winks and Dier.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Once I have overcome the bitterness that we had been the worst team of the last 8 by quite a margin I am just going to enjoy the remaining games.
Should be nice to watch without any of the teams being the definite favorite.

GoalsGetGirls

Ajax in the final really would be a fairytale, to have beaten the teams they have along the way too.

Liverpool v Barca is a tough one to call. Will Liverpool’s press be effective against a team so good at keeping the ball? Will be a high quality tie regardless of the result.

Schneckerl

No idea how Barcelona are the favourites, Liverpool's record this season has been fantastic, Barca played poor against us at home and if the likes of Rashford and Lingard weren't championship tier players we would have had a 2-0 lead in the first half.

This is the same Barcelona team who got knocked out by Roma last season and the same Liverpool team who reached the final only to lose to individual brilliance of Bale and co. I've got Liverpool winning that fixture
People always say how poor that Barca team is, but they won 4:0 on aggregate. 5:1 vs Lyon. 3 wins 1 draw against Real Madrid. Easily won a group with Tottenham, Inter and PSV (in a title race with Ajax in the league).

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Neither team will progress comfortably IMHO

Supports
Ajax
This Ajax team can go all the way imo. They looked like they were playing at home in Turin.
When does Ajax ever play an away match? You won't notice on the field whether they play away or not, same strategy: best defense is offense.

I'd be feeling more confident about Spurs if it wasn't for our injury and suspensions list, which currently includes at least 4 or 5 players who'd otherwise probably be in our starting XI, namely Kane, Son (1st leg of tie), Sissoko, Winks and Dier.
I was highly concerned about suspensions for the next match when I saw the line up with the entire Ajax center midfield and defense being a card away from a suspension, no less than 6 players, while facing an Italian team with a Portoguese star player. None of them got a booking (!).

I had never expected that ref to keep his cool and not hand out cards for such a long period of time in such an important game (Schöne in particular got away a few times), but overall, not even being required to take a booking said a lot about the dominance with which Ajax won.

That said, I expect Spurs and Ajax to draw at Spurs and Ajax to win at home. Ajax will have 15 days with 5 really important matches, which could throw a wrench in any predictions though. Dutch cup finals and title race matches are ill-timed as the KNVB didn't expect Ajax to get this far (bunch of pessimists :p). Do hope they can maintain their pace. Luckily it's not a cup final against PSV or Feyenoord, but Willem II (a semi-B-team could play if needed, probably Huntelaar would start in that match ("B-team", who am I kidding? :D).

As for Barça vs Liverpool... I'd bet on Barça. Either way, there will be lots of (ex-)Ajax players in the final. :)

Last edited:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
People always say how poor that Barca team is, but they won 4:0 on aggregate. 5:1 vs Lyon. 3 wins 1 draw against Real Madrid. Easily won a group with Tottenham, Inter and PSV (in a title race with Ajax in the league).
That doesn't tell the whole story at all. They were only up 2-1 against Lyon until the 78' not looking convincing at all, that was a shaky affair if anything. United were poor in both games and gifted them a couple of goals. Real has had a terrible season. And you always expect them to top their CL group no matter who's in it.

Siorac

They're a competent team with good players, massively boosted by one incredible genius. But they're not THAT great these days.

I'll admit though that much of the underrating of Barcelona comes from being compared to themselves. It's a bit unfair, being measured against the 2008-2012 Barcelona - after all, they don't have to play against that team. None of the opponents comes close to that side either.

Varun

Staff
Let's ask the previous four or five teams that kept him out of the semis or final, I'd say? Did Roma do anything special? Did Lyon do anything special in the first leg? No - you take it as a given that he's going to have some God-like performance just because he's been that good this season, but that's far from certain. He'll have his influence no doubt but there are also games where he's simply quiet, e.g. the first leg at Old Trafford from what I remember.

Red-hot atmosphere in Bernabeu is also a stretch. Score once and they start to boo their own players. Barca have been going there since the Ronaldinho days without fear and knowing they can get something out of it. They go there every year. Most of them have never experienced Anfield in a CL semifinal - I'm not saying it's that special or anything, but if it doesn't intimidate any of them, at least the Kop will definitely have a positive impact on our own players.

For the record, I think you're being quite realistic in your view. We weren't going to blow away Real last year and won't do the same to Barcelona. However they are not the invincible force some make them out to be either just because of Messi. It's going to be tough but certainly possible.
I think you'll progress quite comfortably bar a Messi Masterclass.

Buchan

Liverpool are at their best when there’s chaos in their final third. It doesn’t matter who causes the deflection or loose ball - a pressing Liverpool midfielder with an aggressive tackle or an opposition defender’s toe dispossessing an attacker - Liverpool’s forte is capitalising on this chaos. There’s no pretty build-up play with them. No pretty passing systems. It’s just invoking chaos with bum-rush tactics at every opportunity. Playing such a percentages style of play must balance itself out at some point of the season, and against such a quality, possession-based outfit in Barcelona, luck will certainly need to be on their side to progress.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

They lost because Karius was hilarious.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
They're a competent team with good players, massively boosted by one incredible genius. But they're not THAT great these days.

I'll admit though that much of the underrating of Barcelona comes from being compared to themselves. It's a bit unfair, being measured against the 2008-2012 Barcelona - after all, they don't have to play against that team. None of the opponents comes close to that side either.
Good post. Plus Mr Champions league is out.

The Purley King

Suarez is shit. He'll be easily shackled by the Liverpool defence. He was in Smalling's pocket for most of the two legs.
I can see Barca controlling possession in midfield reasonably comfortably, but I'm not sure they'll create too many chances. Have to remember we gifted them 3 out of the 4 goals they scored in our tie.
Will be very close, but would make Liverpool marginal favourites.
Ajax v Spurs should be a great watch. Really looking forward to that and its too close to call imo.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
That doesn't tell the whole story at all. They were only up 2-1 against Lyon until the 78' not looking convincing at all, that was a shaky affair if anything. United were poor in both games and gifted them a couple of goals. Real has had a terrible season. And you always expect them to top their CL group no matter who's in it.
That game they beat us 4-2 was still the best a team has played against us this season. Never felt so outplayed, and that was at Wembley.

I think when some of those big names (Messi in particular) are on song they can rip you to shreds in the space of 10 minutes.

Schneckerl

Now do the "that doesnt tell the whole story" thing with your team - how often you didn't look great and still won games this season

MetoTTT

Barcelona have to win this semi final now. Liverpool are the favourites IMO. I wanted City to go out of the ECL and try to win the EPL over Liverpool. Now, Juve are out too it's worrying they'll (Liverpool) win it. Praying in process.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
If Spurs were healthy and without suspensions, I'd feel a lot better. In reality with a decimated squad (especially in CM - I honestly have no clue who will even be playing there for Spurs) and with an aging defence which is pretty slow and struggles against pace ... I have to say I feel Ajax are the favourites.

Very scared of their pace out wide against our fullbacks and them getting into the channels. Our right hand side (Trippier / Alderweireld) struggles badly in those scenarios and I can just see Ziyech and friends living in that left hand attacking channel making a nightmare for Spurs.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Barcelona and Liverpool are even. Barcelona have better players, but Liverpool are more in form. In the end, if Messi plays well Liverpool will get decimated, and he has been unbelievable this season.

Bole Top

Liverpool will just about edge Barca in my opinion and I see Tottenham progressing the same way. I can actually see Tottenham winning it in the end.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Liverpool will just about edge Barca in my opinion and I see Tottenham progressing the same way. I can actually see Tottenham winning it in the end.
Neymar ran rings around Liverpool, because the group was so tight it was very similar to a knockout tie between Liverpool and PSG. I think Messi will tear them a new one.