Champions League Semi Finals (30th April - 8th May)

Josh 76

Really thought provoking analysis by Barnes regarding us and comparisons with Liverpool in the 90's. We have had three different managers with three entirely different philosophies but none were given the time to fully implement it, partly because they weren't able to bring in immediate results but also because they didn't play to our old style under Sir Alex.

Any manager that will come in will have the double pressure of bringing results and also playing to the style expected of United.

I didn't see a minute of the match so I can't comment personally but from the reports I read Ajax did the opposite. They adopted a defensive strategy outside of their usual style and invited Spurs on.

On a side note, Bein Sports coverage is so much better than the tripe BT throws. BT are like a bunch of kids saying nothing actually worth listening to. They just rant or rave depending on the result with no concrete analysis other than narrating what's on the screen.
Totally agree.
Rio acts like a fan in the pub.
Owen is a prick.
Linekar tries ....But just doesn't cut it.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Totally agree.
Rio acts like a fan in the pub.
Owen is a prick.
Linekar tries ....But just doesn't cut it.
BT don't know how to run a football channel, they've just thrown money at the coverage.

My view is they're seriously considering pulling out of the sports business, as it's just burning cash. Having England teams doing well will help though. Football in the UK has got far too expensive in the last 5 years, since BT came and took the UEFA games off SKY and La Liga went to Eleven / Premier the cost doubled to watch pretty much the same as before.

Good for the clubs bad for UK football fans.

Distant Red

Supports
Liverpool FC
I'm new here and I've supported Liverpool for 50 years - but I'm not an ABU. Someone pointed me at Red Café - I had no idea what it was. I live outside the UK but way back in this thread someone asked who are Liverpool's great players - and it struck me that this is where the wheels fell off your wagon.

I'll explain. I've rowed since I was 14 years old and I'm now in my early 70s and, in the rowing context, there's a saying I once heard that I think has applicability across many sports and that is, "Don't select your eight best - pick your best eight..".

Bobski was just one of a few here who made the point that football is a team game. I read somewhere recently that before signing anyone, Klopp sits down with a prospective signing and has a long talk with him to find out what his motivations are, to try and get a handle on if he's a team player or not.

Another 'plus' for Klopp is that he has a vision of how he thinks football should be played - and he recruits accordingly.
From the outside looking in, it seems to me that the recruitment policy at OT has long been based on "If a £50m player is good, imagine how much better a £100m player would be..". There's always been the temptation to go for the marquee signings. Money is clearly not the answer - Leicester proved that. How much did that Class of '92 cost you?

The mentality of a player is all-important: look how the performances of Coutinho and Suarez have gone downhill since they left Anfield. And as for Messi.. he's not a team player.. and in the modern game there's no room for those who think they are above tracking back. Mané, Salah and Firmino understand this.

To go back to where I started, I think of the XI Reds that started the Barca match, how many are great players? VVD? Yes. Becker? I think so. TAA? I think so. Andy Robertson? Yes, I think so. The rest? I think they were well coached, well drilled, and they knew and understood what the game plan was - and they could execute it. Plus - and this is a huge plus - they were physically up to the challenge.
In summary, you need the money men, the board, the manager, the scouting team, the squad and the supporters all aligned. For the first time in a loong time, it seems they have that in place at Anfield. We went through decades of pain to get there - and you have no idea how much it hurt to see the club I love turn in average performances.

First though, you need a coherent strategy - finding the right people to implement it is another story. It's taken us nearly 30 years.

Reactions: Penna

RochaRoja

Probably the weirdest CL final ever. Both teams were lucky not to be knocked out in the group stage and yet here they are.

Josh 76

I'm new here and I've supported Liverpool for 50 years - but I'm not an ABU. Someone pointed me at Red Café - I had no idea what it was. I live outside the UK but way back in this thread someone asked who are Liverpool's great players - and it struck me that this is where the wheels fell off your wagon.

I'll explain. I've rowed since I was 14 years old and I'm now in my early 70s and, in the rowing context, there's a saying I once heard that I think has applicability across many sports and that is, "Don't select your eight best - pick your best eight..".

Bobski was just one of a few here who made the point that football is a team game. I read somewhere recently that before signing anyone, Klopp sits down with a prospective signing and has a long talk with him to find out what his motivations are, to try and get a handle on if he's a team player or not.

Another 'plus' for Klopp is that he has a vision of how he thinks football should be played - and he recruits accordingly.
From the outside looking in, it seems to me that the recruitment policy at OT has long been based on "If a £50m player is good, imagine how much better a £100m player would be..". There's always been the temptation to go for the marquee signings. Money is clearly not the answer - Leicester proved that. How much did that Class of '92 cost you?

The mentality of a player is all-important: look how the performances of Coutinho and Suarez have gone downhill since they left Anfield. And as for Messi.. he's not a team player.. and in the modern game there's no room for those who think they are above tracking back. Mané, Salah and Firmino understand this.

To go back to where I started, I think of the XI Reds that started the Barca match, how many are great players? VVD? Yes. Becker? I think so. TAA? I think so. Andy Robertson? Yes, I think so. The rest? I think they were well coached, well drilled, and they knew and understood what the game plan was - and they could execute it. Plus - and this is a huge plus - they were physically up to the challenge.
In summary, you need the money men, the board, the manager, the scouting team, the squad and the supporters all aligned. For the first time in a loong time, it seems they have that in place at Anfield. We went through decades of pain to get there - and you have no idea how much it hurt to see the club I love turn in average performances.

First though, you need a coherent strategy - finding the right people to implement it is another story. It's taken us nearly 30 years.
Still had to spend 150m on a keeper and CD to take you to the next level.