Champions of Europe this day 15 years ago.

Oscar Bonavena

I remember we battered Chelsea early on, took the lead through a brilliant Ron header and missed great chances for Carrick and Tevez to kill the game off.

After that Chelsea came back into it and equalised with a fortuitous goal from Lampard (I think it deflected into his path and he scored).

Can't remember much of the shoot out except Ronaldo missing, Terry slipping when he had the kick to win it (served him right, f**king gloryhunter!), and I had a feeling Ed would save from Anelka, purely cos Anelka looked nervous and he had that one step run up which to me is almost a guaranteed miss!

SirMonteyne

The day was beautiful, I had my Scholes shirt on, and two-thirds of the fans wore #7 shirts. The next day I woke up among strangers, spending almost $3k on alcohol. Having lost my voice, I was drunk, wasted, and cried. What a day it's been. Can't believe it has already been 10 years since SAF retired.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Scummy Rangers fans and a bent Manchester Council stopped us having the homecoming parade that the team deserved.

Josh 76

Nani’s penalty was the one. If he had missed, Chelsea would have won it. What pressure.

For that moment alone, he will always be a Utd great!

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I remember experiencing utter disdain and total love for VDS in the space of about 10 minutes. He should have saved at least one of their opening few penalties.

Watching the shootout back now, it's kind of mad how penalties have improved since then. Were there less restrictions on keepers then?

The White Pele

This feels like a lifetime ago. We’ve fallen so far from this standard.

I remember us being on top for the first half an hour and thinking we could actually win it quite comfortably for a nice change. Then in the second half we were hanging on at times. Giggs had a big chance to win it in extra time.

I felt we would lose it on penalties. I was certain Nani would have his penalty saved. I was certain that Terry would score. In the end when Van Der Sar made the crucial save I just felt a massive sense of relief and ecstasy rolled into one. I had uni exams the next day so couldn’t even go out and celebrate it properly.

Edit: Also worth noting that it felt like we had come from nowhere to the best team in Europe in 2 years. It just goes to show that when all the pieces fall into place you can climb the mountain quite quickly

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
We really should have scored that second goal. Would have been one of the greatest team goals scored in a CL final.

Watched the game in the basement of my college library. Was high off the win for days after.

Sylar

Was in a Chelsea dominated 'pub', having just played football an hour or so before.

We battered them first half and somehow went in 1-1. Ronaldo seemed to have a field day with Essien but then chelsea adjusted. Felt like they battered us second half.
Also I kinda remember Rio doing some weird challenge in our box (on Joe cole??), and the linesman kinda flagged for a penalty, but then didnt and match played on. Heart in mouth seeing that.

Then that whole incident which lead to Drogbas sending off (terrys 'spitting' incident and all).
All our new signings (anderson, hargreaves, tevez and nani scoring penalties)
Also thinking that VDS saved Ashley Coles penalty, so a cheer and then thinking Ffs.

The whole part of terrys penalty was hilarious. He changed the order right? Then adjusted his arm band for the whole world to see, only to see him slip and fck it up :lol:

Also Peter Kenyon receiving his medal :lol:

We really should have scored that second goal. Would have been one of the greatest team goals scored in a CL final.
The whole sequence was fantastic. What a goal it should have been. Best 'goal' that wasnt scored?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
*sigh* we should be sitting on 3 European cups.

Real Name

Watched the game in the basement of my college library. Was high off the win for days after.
Dont remember that, enlighten me please. :)

Spoony

The People's President
Scummy Rangers fans and a bent Manchester Council stopped us having the homecoming parade that the team deserved.

Hmmm. Recall public partying all night in town after the 99 win. Everyone burst on to the streets but it wasn't allowed after our last CL win.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I remember experiencing utter disdain and total love for VDS in the space of about 10 minutes. He should have saved at least one of their opening few penalties.

Watching the shootout back now, it's kind of mad how penalties have improved since then. Were there less restrictions on keepers then?
The keep your foot on the line rule wasn't around, or enforced. But generally it's a higher pressure game than any we've been involved in, so that's all it is. Penalty success rate used to be around 75% and now it's around 80% with the foot on the line rule, but that's it.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Its all a distant memory now. Unless we get thec Qataris wealth, then memories of winning the big 2 trophies, will be all we have. City and Necastle will pull away from the rest.
If you can't look back on our history without defaulting to City, have you considered you were maybe just meant to be a city fan?

Revan

Assumptionman
It was a crazy final. We should have been out of sight in the first half. Chelsea scored a shitty deflected goal (typical) and I think they hit the bar too? But they came back strong in the second half. We shaded ET, and then Drogba got sent off as well.

So much drama and high stakes. Glad we won.

Have to say - we and Chelsea were the top 2 teams in Europe for that 07-09 spell. They really should have made the final the year after if it wasn’t for a corrupt Barca ref in the semis.
I think they did it twice (Lampard and Drogba).

We should have been leading 2 or 3 - 0 in the first half. But on the second half and extra time, Chelsea were the better team. The only chance we had was Giggs missing in the open net in extras, while Chelsea hit the post and the bar. It was actually a very close match.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I was still in highschool at the time. Stayed up all night to watch the game, it finished at around 4 am if I remember it correctly, counting the post match commentary, around 5. Went to school sleepless and buzzing the whole day. I didnt know RedCafe existed until 2012 so I was able to fully enjoy the match without checking my phone every 5 mins. Good times.

Cloud7

I wish I appreciated this more back then in terms of how rare this was. Having a team that was that good and actually winning the CL. Really took some of the good times for granted.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Its all a distant memory now. Unless we get thec Qataris wealth, then memories of winning the big 2 trophies, will be all we have. City and Necastle will pull away from the rest.
Pretty much this.

The chances of ever winning this cup again are either
1)Qataris come in and make right on their promises
2)We hit that hugely unlikely mix of super strong manager at peak of career, getting every transfer right for a couple of years. Fused with the outrageous luck of selling a fairly standard player for ludircrously high fee (Coutinho) funding it.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
My god, 15 years ago... We are not young anymore.

Remember that that final and the penalties were horrible to watch, I almost cried when CR missed his.

Good old time where we were sure to beat almost every opponent we face.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I was still in highschool at the time. Stayed up all night to watch the game, it finished at around 4 am if I remember it correctly, counting the post match commentary, around 5. Went to school sleepless and buzzing the whole day. I didnt know RedCafe existed until 2012 so I was able to fully enjoy the match without checking my phone every 5 mins. Good times.
Such an odd game, well on top first half.
Lampard, as happened incredibly often, benefitted from a super lucky deflection (this time, how it fell to him, rather than deflecting in from his shot), and then fairly even.
Ronaldo dreadful pen, improbable Terry miss. Anelka most obvious about to miss body language ever, and then delirium.

adexkola

Supports
Dont remember that, enlighten me please. :)
You know I couldn't find that moment on YouTube? :mad:

Let's see if my memory is still good

Rooney wins ball back at right back position, drives the ball forward
He superbly crosses the ball across the field to Ronaldo on the left wing (who's had Michael "Blaise Pascal" Essien on toast the entire half)
Ronaldo controls the ball, crosses the ball into the box
An on rushing Tevez heads the ball towards goal
Cech in headgear produces an outstanding save
Ball is cleared as far as Carrick who shoots directly at Cech
Cech clears the ball for a corner

All this happens in 5 seconds mind

Back To Madeira

I was there in the Luzhniki Stadium - right behind the goal where the penalty shoot out happened

Didn't get out the ground until about 2am, ended up in Hard Rock Café Moscow until dawn with Mr Myagi leading the celebrations!
I request that this story be revisited in a post-season podcast.

Crimson King

Such an odd game, well on top first half.
Lampard, as happened incredibly often, benefitted from a super lucky deflection (this time, how it fell to him, rather than deflecting in from his shot), and then fairly even.
Ronaldo dreadful pen, improbable Terry miss. Anelka most obvious about to miss body language ever, and then delirium.
The switch in emotions from when Terry was stepping up to take that penalty, to when he was sitting on his arse in disbelief! Couldn't have happend to a nicer guy :D

I remember forcing myself to watch it, even though I was certain he would score and was already trying to qualm the inner grief I felt. In contrast, my dad was in the kitchen, already throwing a tantrum. Bloody coward!

What a night.

Wing Attack Plan R

This game was incredible. Highest and lowest of emotions, a total rollercoaster. I watched the match with a friend from Manchester, we were in a pub in Hollywood that was about 90% Chelsea fans. So every time we were dying, the pub was cheering. At the end, when VDS saved the penalty, you could hear a pin drop -- except for us shouting.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
It had everything. England’s two best teams at that time playing each other, quality, suspense, emotions, drama and with JT slipping and missing it had comedy too.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
That title was meant for us. If not for Drogba sent off, he would have taken the kick and would have scored.

Browns cross, Ronaldo header, tevez chance, Carrick also had a chance if I remember it.

Great match !

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Hopefully the good times will return soon

Wing Attack Plan R

We had such a great group of fighters in that team. Watch that Vidic tackle, sends his man flying into the air. Shame Tevez turned out to be such a punk because he was unplayable in this game, a forward version of Licha. Drogba flicking Vidic's face, fecker was playing with his life. Seeing Ronaldo do his stupid stop/start penalty run up and then feck it up, it was a gut punch, "knowing" we'd lost. Anderson's only contribution to that game was scoring that penalty, nerves of steel. One of the few matches Hargreaves was fit to play, at least he saved it for something special.

Siorac

Seeing Ronaldo do his stupid stop/start penalty run up and then feck it up, it was a gut punch, "knowing" we'd lost.
And then his bloody drama queen celebrations, collapsing spectacularly away from everyone else. Some things never change.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
That title was meant for us. If not for Drogba sent off, he would have taken the kick and would have scored.

Browns cross, Ronaldo header, tevez chance, Carrick also had a chance if I remember it.

Great match !
I told my mate who wasn’t glued to the draw like I was a few days afterwards that we are playing the 2nd leg against Roma at home and it would be the same in the semis. First thing he said was „name on the trophy“. How right he was. In 99 we played the 2nd leg against Inter and Juve away.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The switch in emotions from when Terry was stepping up to take that penalty, to when he was sitting on his arse in disbelief! Couldn't have happend to a nicer guy :D

I remember forcing myself to watch it, even though I was certain he would score and was already trying to qualm the inner grief I felt. In contrast, my dad was in the kitchen, already throwing a tantrum. Bloody coward!

What a night.
It was magnificent. My boss who I sat next to was a Chelsea fan, that it'd have been utterly horrific to sit next to afterwards.

adexkola

Supports
You know I couldn't find that moment on YouTube? :mad:

Let's see if my memory is still good

Rooney wins ball back at right back position, drives the ball forward
He superbly crosses the ball across the field to Ronaldo on the left wing (who's had Michael "Blaise Pascal" Essien on toast the entire half)
Ronaldo controls the ball, crosses the ball into the box
An on rushing Tevez heads the ball towards goal
Cech in headgear produces an outstanding save
Ball is cleared as far as Carrick who shoots directly at Cech
Cech clears the ball for a corner

All this happens in 5 seconds mind
@Real Name @Siorac I found it!