Championship: Aston Villa Women v United | Sunday 8 Sept - United win 0-12

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Just seeing the result. Loving our women's team:drool:
Is their next match on TV somewhere?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
When they can, I think MUTV will have the home games live - and they'll do highlights if they can't have it live.

The aways we're in the hands of our opponents really. The ground we're at today is owned by St Michaels - a team in the 9th tier of men's football. I doubt that highspeed broadband for live streaming, well located camera mounts etc are high on their everyday priorities. AVTV have at least taken a crack at it, but only (I suspect) because it's United.

Leigh's a big stadium, bigger than we realistically need right now. The advantage though is that it's a stadium used for pro Rugby, so broadcast facilities are ready for us to plug into and we're used to filming the U23s etc there.
They haven't got it on their TV schedule.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Chamberlain; Harris, A. Turner (c), M. Turner, Smith; Galton, Devlin (Green 45), James (Palmer 64), Hanson; Zelem (Toone 54), Sigsworth

Subs not used: Bentley, Palmer, Hartley, Roberts, Arnot.

Goal times: James (10, 23,), Sigsworth (25, 33, 35, 49, 62), Zelem (28), Hanson (55, 59), Green (66), Toone 68)

Attendance: 1,165

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/match-report-aston-villa-v-united-women-on-9-september-2018

Not seen it yet, but so glad I stopped myself from posting just before kick-off that it would be a tough match today and i'd be happy with just a win, any win, even an undeserved 0-1 with a last-minute dodgy penalty :lol:

Dudu

What an amazing result. Shame I couldn't catch the game. So Proud of the team! :)

Is this some kind of record scoreline in general.. or at least for the Championship itself?

Brightonian

That's how you put bums on seats.

If anyone knows where highlights might be watched online, I'd very much appreciate a PM.

Broad Street Bullies

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
As far as I can see Alex Greenwood wasn't playing today. Anybody know why she was absent? Anyway, I'm not sure Villa will be streaming any live games for a while!

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
What a time my immune system chose for me to be ill :( Saw the first goal live then went puking my guts up and missed the rest of the game. Congrats women!

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
What a time my immune system chose for me to be ill :( Saw the first goal live then went puking my guts up and missed the rest of the game. Congrats women!
Oh shit, not good bro, hope you get better soon. Drink plenty of water and eat plain dry stuff if you get hungry.

Red Star One

Some of those goals are really great. What a statement by our ladies, haven't followed too much, but genuinely impressed.

Scholes the maestro

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Wow! We were really brilliant. Loved the slick passing and relentless attacking play. Though Villa were poor, what impressed me the most was our ability to play out from the back and how everyone was so comfortable on the ball.

Zelem was brilliant in that deep midfield role spraying the ball around the pitch. Lauren james unbelievable she is only 16. And Sigsworth has been my favorite, the way she plays reminds me of classic strikers like Nistelrooy and van persie. Fabulous player. Everyone was brilliant and hoping to see more.

Reactions: Varun

redshaw

Full game

The post/tweet about all the goals just loads a single gif and the deadspin page is blank. Perhaps it's my older browser but here's the full match anyway. Some time stamps in the comments below for the goals.

Well done to the ladies.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Well done ladies.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Obviously it’s great that we won 12-0 away from home, but at the same time it makes a bit of a mockery of the women’s game.

Are Villa women’s team supposed to be a good team?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
How did we score 12???

Is our team just at another level from that league or did we just play perfect?
Perfect storm really. We've established a full-time pro team, but Villa have an amateur/semi-pro setup .

It was our first league match so we were up for it. The crowd and cameras were a novelty for Villa. United have already played two tough (professionally) televised Cup matches against WSL1 opponents, and the crowd wouldn't have looked like a big one to us.

It really is a young, success hungry team. Some of the youngsters are playing for a first XI place, others (like Zelem and Hanson) may be hoping for international call ups. 4 of the goals came from players who were with United juniors, the last two goals came from the subs, they didn't ease off as early as perhaps an older team with less to prove would.

Incidentally, some United men's team history.
United 10-0 Anderlecht (EC in 1956)
United 9-0 Ipswich (PL in 1995)
But normally we stop at 7 or 8.

Last edited: