Championship: Aston Villa Women v United | Sunday 8 Sept - United win 0-12

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Obviously it’s great that we won 12-0 away from home, but at the same time it makes a bit of a mockery of the women’s game.

Are Villa women’s team supposed to be a good team?
I wouldn't say it makes a mockery of the game, if it was a kids team beating them 12-0 then it would have, but it was two women's teams and just shows the gulf in quality between the two.

Nick7

Obviously it’s great that we won 12-0 away from home, but at the same time it makes a bit of a mockery of the women’s game.

Are Villa women’s team supposed to be a good team?
In addition to what @jojojo said on the last page. Villa aren't supposed to be that good. Second last in the WSL 2 (equivalent to the championship) last year.

RedPamie

What @jojojo said. Everyone was ready and fired up. Do note that many players we signed want to prove that joining United and playing in tier 2 is not a mistake.

Of course yes Villa were bad yesterday. But they 'only' lost 2-0 to Birmingham City (a WSL team) in Conti cup with late goals.

Castia

How the hell do we win 12-0...I mean the mens team could play a non-league side in the FA cup and it wouldn't be 12-0, the levels of these clubs must be all over the place.

Nick7

What @jojojo said. Everyone was ready and fired up. Do note that many players we signed want to prove that joining United and playing in tier 2 is not a mistake.

Of course yes Villa were bad yesterday. But they 'only' lost 2-0 to Birmingham City (a WSL team) in Conti cup with late goals.
Yeah it's a squad full of players that want to be at United and want to show they're good enough to be United.

I don't think I'll ever forget the joy in the players when they scored their first goal against Liverpool. So great to see.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Can't wait for the next game. Does anybody think United knew that this team would likely be far too good for this league, so it will create lots of interest in the team, rather them going into the top league straight away and maybe struggling in some games and it might put some fans off? I think they are doing it the right way, the girls will gain loads of experience and confidence this season and the style will make us an attractive proposition if they want to sign somebody better next season.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Can't wait for the next game. Does anybody think United knew that this team would likely be far too good for this league, so it will create lots of interest in the team, rather them going into the top league straight away and maybe struggling in some games and it might put some fans off? I think they are doing it the right way, the girls will gain loads of experience and confidence this season and the style will make us an attractive proposition if they want to sign somebody better next season.
That's some 9/11 conspiracy theory shit right there. I don't think they were allowed to jump straight into the top league, imagine the outrage if they did.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
That's some 9/11 conspiracy theory shit right there. I don't think they were allowed to jump straight into the top league, imagine the outrage if they did.
City did it didn't they. Didn't the Doncaster Belles get kicked out to make room, someone else might know that. Think it was our choice to go into this division.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
How the hell do we win 12-0...I mean the mens team could play a non-league side in the FA cup and it wouldn't be 12-0, the levels of these clubs must be all over the place.
Women's game is still in adolescence so the lower levels of quality, really are low. The gap will get less with continued funding, exposure and development.

Nick7

Pretty sure we could have jumped right into the top league, but we decided against it.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Pretty sure we could have jumped right into the top league, but we decided against it.
It's funny really because City were condemned for jumping directly into the top division. We're now being criticised, on the BBC's "The Women's Football Show" for example, for not jumping in at the top. I think we did it in good faith, giving ourselves a chance to assemble a setup away from the glare of comparisons with City.

I actually think as a club we're doing exactly what we said we would. We're taking it seriously and we've given Casey Stoney the instruction to build a team that can compete with the top club clubs in 3 to 5 years. Casey said that the club weren't demanding promotion this season, but she wants it and so do her staff and squad. I think we as fans are already seeing it as "expected" now - but we'll be playing better teams than Villa over the course of the season, so we might be glad of some easy games.

RedPamie

City did. And this season West Ham and I think Brighton and Hove Albion jumped to WSL. WestHam from Tier 3 and Brighton from tier 2.

Women's Football is still developing. No promotion and relegation this season so places were awarded through application process. FA I think courted United to be in WSL simply because of our name, budget and we want to be professional from the get go. We decided to be in tier 2. Whatever reasoning behind it, I kinda support it.

Now everyone thinking we are going to win the league easily. I think it's just a reaction. We will face some good teams, Durham, Millwall and Lewes maybe. I can see team similar to Reading : experienced, tough, cynical can be our toughest test.

Fyi This thread is a good start to understand women's football
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-competitions-structure-of-the-womens-game.439524/

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Indeed.

That's the sort of score line you read about whe teams from different leagues play each other and even then, it would be a really freak occurrence.
Is there a video of this match I can watch, because something doesn't add up.
Perhaps Villa were resting their first team and were using their U16s team, instead?

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Indeed.

That's the sort of score line you read about whe teams from different leagues play each other and even then, it would be a really freak occurrence.
Perhaps Villa were resting their first team and were using their U16s team, instead?

Erm, no

Green_Red

Indeed.

We beat Ipswich 9-1 in the Prem and Arsenal 8-2... it happens, rare, but not impossible.

Grande

The Busby Babes beat an Anderlecht side that was league winners and actually quite good 10-0 for the mens record. I remember Andy Cole scoring five when we beat Ipswich 9-0 in a league game were, if we had fired on all cylinders all game, we would have won far more than that. United on Sunday fired on all cylinders for unusually large parts of the game for a team with a big early lead.

RedPamie

Anyone notice there was another camera in the opposite of Villa cam? Was it MUTV? I couldn't find mutv schedule of highlights. Which is disappointing. It seems United only care about women's team when they are promoting something : Kohler etc. No updates during matches. They didn't even tweet the bench for Villa game :lol:

Broad Street Bullies

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Anyone notice there was another camera in the opposite of Villa cam? Was it MUTV? I couldn't find mutv schedule of highlights. Which is disappointing. It seems United only care about women's team when they are promoting something : Kohler etc. No updates during matches. They didn't even tweet the bench for Villa game :lol:
Let's not stress them. After all it took them plenty of years to upgrade the outdated homepage. In 10-15 years they'll get around to it.

HailtotheKing

Wow, Villa must have defended those last 20 minutes really well. Maybe we should hire their defensive coach!

Last edited:

Grande

That Kirsty Hanson shownin the second half was something.

I’ll attempt some grades:

Siobhan Chamberlain 7 - safe, reassuring on the line and in the box. Decisive to calm the defence.

Martha Harris 6 - didn’t notice her much, but got the pen for Zelem.

Amy Turner 7 - not to stressed, but also seemed reassuring.

Millie Turner 7 - no troubles in her duels, looked like a leader, good with the ball.

Kirsty Smith 7 - very lively and active, especially in the first half. Interchanged well with Galton several times.

Katie Zelem 9 - WOTM ruled the procedings with positioning and well timed passes from fairly deep. Playmaker.

Lauren James 7 - 8 for the first half of the first half, then disappeared a bit. Two brilliantly taken goals.

Charlie Devlin 7 - fluid interplay with Zelem and James, nice one-two’s and connected well with sigsworth to set her up for runs.

Kirsty Hanson 8 - good first half, brilliant second, involved in the last five goals. Full of initiative.

Jessie Sigsworth 9 - how do you rate a striker who scores five goals? With better oposition, both she and Zelem would ve on a tenner for me.

Leah Galton 6 - played well, thought many of her things didn’t come off fully, but a good team game.

Mollie Green 7 - was very dynamic and helped keep up the push in the second half.

Aimee Palmer 6 - looked sound and collected in her choices without doing anything extra special.

Ella Toon - saw too little for a rating, but promising showing and a goal to boot.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Great to see the team start the league off with a very strong win. It would be a real confidence boost for the girls. Though I don't expect every game is going to go this well for us.

Class of 63

Sourness
That Kirsty Hanson shownin the second half was something.

I’ll attempt some grades:

Siobhan Chamberlain 7 - safe, reassuring on the line and in the box. Decisive to calm the defence.

Martha Harris 6 - didn’t notice her much, but got the pen for Zelem.

Amy Turner 7 - not to stressed, but also seemed reassuring.

Millie Turner 7 - no troubles in her duels, looked like a leader, good with the ball.

Kirsty Smith 7 - very lively and active, especially in the first half. Interchanged well with Galton several times.

Katie Zelem 9 - WOTM ruled the procedings with positioning and well timed passes from fairly deep. Playmaker.

Lauren James 7 - 8 for the first half of the first half, then disappeared a bit. Two brilliantly taken goals.

Charlie Devlin 7 - fluid interplay with Zelem and James, nice one-two’s and connected well with sigsworth to set her up for runs.

Kirsty Hanson 8 - good first half, brilliant second, involved in the last five goals. Full of initiative.

Jessie Sigsworth 9 - how do you rate a striker who scores five goals? With better oposition, both she and Zelem would ve on a tenner for me.

Leah Galton 6 - played well, thought many of her things didn’t come off fully, but a good team game.

Mollie Green 7 - was very dynamic and helped keep up the push in the second half.

Aimee Palmer 6 - looked sound and collected in her choices without doing anything extra special.

Ella Toon - saw too little for a rating, but promising showing and a goal to boot.
Cheers for that, it says on the official website that both Martha Harris and Kirsty Smith are comfortable playing on either side in the fullback position, did they switch at any time during the game, or did Kirsty Smith, the more dynamic of the two, and more like the absent Alex Greenwood stay on the left ??

Just watch the blinking match video came the reply :lol:

RedPamie

Cheers for that, it says on the official website that both Martha Harris and Kirsty Smith are comfortable playing on either side in the fullback position, did they switch at any time during the game, or did Kirsty Smith, the more dynamic of the two, and more like the absent Alex Greenwood stay on the left ??

Just watch the blinking match video came the reply :lol:
Did you watch the match live? If not the Full Match is still on Villa YouTube channel.
I don't think Harris and Smith switched sides.

Class of 63

Sourness
Did you watch the match live? If not the Full Match is still on Villa YouTube channel.
I don't think Harris and Smith switched sides.
No just seen the goals, Was intending watching it live but had to go out at the last minute. It would take up a big chunk(up to 2gb) of my month allowance(15gb) so I won't bother watching it now, though if it had been more of a contest I might've done.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
No just seen the goals, Was intending watching it live but had to go out at the last minute. It would take up a big chunk(up to 2gb) of my month allowance(15gb) so I won't bother watching it now, though if it had been more of a contest I might've done.
To be honest, the video quality is pretty dire - I can put up with that on a live stream but I'd find it hard to forgive on a replay - even on an unlimited contract. The goals on the BBC Women's Football Show are worth watching though, just to get a sense of how well the team are moving.

RedPamie

To be honest, the video quality is pretty dire - I can put up with that on a live stream but I'd find it hard to forgive on a replay - even on an unlimited contract. The goals on the BBC Women's Football Show are worth watching though, just to get a sense of how well the team are moving.
Ah so BBC recorded the match? And MUTV didn't?!

I watched it again tbh, did watch live but got distracted at times so needed to watch again. I watched on my phone tho, so I think it was okay.