Championship: United Women vs Spurs | United win 4-1

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

A big match coming up this weekend. Spurs have 6 wins in 6 in the Championship. In the WSL Cup, they won one and drew two (winning one of their penalty shootouts, losing the other). In other words, they're likely to be our big rivals in the League.

They've been around a long time. Founded in the 80s, becoming Tottenham Hotspurs Women in the 90s. They've been a top team in the amateur Cups and regional leagues for most of that time. They joined WSL2 last year, coming 7th.

Like us, they're basically a pro team, and it's assumed that if they get a top two place this year, they'll be able to make the step up to WSL1. They added several players to their squad in the summer as part of that preparation.

Should be a good match.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

United have "family tickets" available on their ticketing link:
Buy a family package for two U16s and two adults to see United Women take on Spurs for just £10. Buy online now or book through our ticketing office by calling 0161 868 8000.

This offer is only available for advance purchases and will not be available on the door at Leigh Sports Village.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
West Stand tickets Sold Out!

South Stand is now open!
The stadium were selling East stand tickets earlier in the week as well, so it should be a nice size crowd. It'll be interesting to see if they use that area for pay at the turnstile on the day, or whether they'll just use any remaining seats in South stand for that.

For people unfamiliar with the ground. The MUTV cameras look towards West stand, that's where the tunnel/dugout are, and it's also the allocated area if you buy a (women's) season ticket) - so it's the busiest stand. South stand is behind the goal. When we get a couple of thousand people at the match, that stand has maybe 200 of them - so it looks pretty empty.

East stand is where the cameras are, so it's not so important on TV! It's been closed at the matches I've attended. I don't know if they used it for the Reading game in the Cup when the crowd was just under the 5000 mark - attendance at that game was boosted by history (our first home match) and free tickets for some (men's team) season ticket holders. So it'll be interesting to see if Sunday's game can match it.

The North side of the ground is terracing (that means standing!). Leigh Centurions, the Rugby League team who are the main users of the stadium, use that, but whether United ever will is something for the future.

Incidentally, Spurs typically get around 200 people for their home games.

RedPamie

Can't wait for this! And looks like it's going to be a big crowd.

Based on paper and the highlights we should win this. Huge test for the team.

Andersons Dietician

Sure I predicted this game would be our highest attended game so hopefully we get over 5k.

Hyped for this top of the table clash.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Gutted I'm gonna miss this as I'm in London this weekend. But great to see so many tickets sold for this match! It should be a great game, and hopefully a good atmosphere as well.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Leigh stadium is looking good - cloudy but dry at the moment. Plenty of people around in United shirts and a fair few already making their way into the ground. United are on the pitch, warming up and I've got a potato pie, so I'm happy.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
We have started this game being quite sloppy in possession. This might be the first league game that we concede in

Andersons Dietician

Jesus she makes that look like nothing, she barely did anything and somehow just skipping past tackles :lol:

Andersons Dietician

Toone does have some pretty decent skills, and as I write this she stumbles when trying to run with the ball.
Palmer tho, every time I watch her she does seem to miss or give the ball away quite a bit.

RedfromIreland

Just out of curiosity, would there be a high percentage of females attending a match like this? I’ve never been to a ladies football match myself and coming from Northern Ireland, I’m hardly likely to have the privilege of attending any of United ladies matches.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Good half. Still a tad on the scrappy side but we have broken them down nicely and deserve to be comfortably ahead.

Great to hear the crowd getting involved vocally too.

Andersons Dietician

How is this still only 3-0. We’ve been absolutly peppering them.

Been very impressed with how we’ve moved the ball and worked situations, we’ve looked the far classier outfit. Galton has come on and looked really good, absolute weapon just running past people and must be pretty strong as well as she is just muscling people off the ball and best of all looks two footed.

Andersons Dietician

That number 2 of Spurs, Leon I think they said her name was she looks handy. Twice she has ripped us open once with a run and now that pass. Looks strong and fast.