Change of system needed?

Jericholyte2

Now I know everyone is jumping at knee-jerk reactions to this but I’m trying to think of pro-active ways that we could address the underlying issue - our complete lack of a midfield.

I think we need to go to a back 3/5 and here’s why:

• We need creativity from our FBs and this cannot happen in the four we have as the CBs can be caught isolated and beaten for pace
  • We have no midfield and if Pogba is to be any kind of creative force we need more bodies in central areas to cover for him
So I would have thought a five of:

——-Lindelof—Tuanzebe—Maguire
AWB———————————————Shaw
—————McT————Pogba
—James———Martial———Rashford

With any of the back three pushing forward to CM in possession would drastically help our issues. It can help to free up the full-backs and provide coverage for Pogba in midfield

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
IMO we just need to play 3 in midfield. Not really all that complicated and there is hardly any justification for including an extra attacker when they are not playing well (ahem, no names)

BlahRules

Our full backs are not attack minded or have the skill set to play the formation you have suggested

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
You can change system ten times over. The attacking players we have are not CL standard. City, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal all have better front 6. Chelsea probably have better than us too overall.

System doesn't matter. Jesse Lingard is playing number 10 for Manchester United. No goals or assists all year. Is it any wonder we are average?

haram

You play a DM and let Pogba and Scott be box to box.

Lee565

Considering we have no great wingers and both rashford and martial are better off as strikers why do we continue use formation that handicap us, 3 at the back would be preferable.

--------------------de gea
----------Awb--lindelof-Maguire
Dalot---mctominay---pogba--shaw
------------------------Gomes
--------------martial--------rashford

Could maybe swap dalot for James considering how well James tracks back and the recovery speed he has.